Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question About Food Program Components
Baby Beluga 10:36 AM 06-09-2015
I am not on the food program, but do try to follow the guidelines. I have always wondered about potatoes. Generally when I cook for my own family, potatoes are a grain not a veggie since they are so starchy. What does the food program consider potatoes? For example, our original lunch today was going to be:

Scalloped potatoes
Baked ham
Steamed broccoli and carrots (separate servings, not combined)

Would the FP consider the potatoes a grain in this instance or would I have to add bread or a biscuit to make this a complete meal?
Blackcat31 11:03 AM 06-09-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I am not on the food program, but do try to follow the guidelines. I have always wondered about potatoes. Generally when I cook for my own family, potatoes are a grain not a veggie since they are so starchy. What does the food program consider potatoes? For example, our original lunch today was going to be:

Scalloped potatoes
Baked ham
Steamed broccoli and carrots (separate servings, not combined)

Would the FP consider the potatoes a grain in this instance or would I have to add bread or a biscuit to make this a complete meal?
Potatoes are definitely starchy but they are always considered a vegetable.
AmyKidsCo 12:20 PM 06-09-2015
Yep. Potatoes and corn are both considered vegetables. Only actual grains count as a grain.
Rockgirl 12:28 PM 06-09-2015
Your lunch sounds yummy.

You'd have an extra veggie, and need a bread.
Baby Beluga 12:51 PM 06-09-2015
Thank you for the clarification everyone
AuntTami 02:13 PM 06-09-2015
If you feed potatoes for lunch, you have to provide a grain/bread too?!!!! Yes, let's double up on those carbs!
Josiegirl 02:44 PM 06-09-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
If you feed potatoes for lunch, you have to provide a grain/bread too?!!!! Yes, let's double up on those carbs!
I know, right??!! I can't remember the last time I served potatoes, except occasionally sweet potatoes. For some strange reason, most of my dcks don't like either kind. Must be a texture thing. Not even scalloped. I love 'em!!
Baby Beluga 06:24 PM 06-09-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
Yeah...not the most healthy thing :/

My kids LOVE potatoes. One of our favorite lunches is salad with chicken, roasted potatoes and fruit. Unfortunately looks like I will replace the potatoes with a grain because I can't really justify doing potatoes and a bread in the same meal.
AuntTami 06:41 AM 06-10-2015
What about croutons? If you make them yourself out of bread, would they count? Sorry, I'm not on the food program and so I don't really follow it. My kiddos get healthy balanced meals but without someone telling me to serve a bread WITH my potatoes! Lol.
Tags:food program
Reply Up