Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Homemade Bread Recipes and Variations Please Share
Mrs. CC 06:36 AM 11-01-2011
I would love to get some new ideas for breads to make for my DCKs and my family. Please share yours!! Here is mine

I often use my book Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a day to make bread. It is easy, fast and has great results.

Here is a link to the main recipe in the book and a bloggers adaptations:

http://angelninascottage.com/2008/07...tes-a-day-yes/

Adapted from “Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day,” by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoë François (Thomas Dunne Books, 2007)

1 1/2 tablespoons yeast

1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt

6 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour, more for dusting dough

Cornmeal.

1. In a large bowl or plastic container, mix yeast and salt into 3 cups lukewarm water (about 100 degrees). Stir in flour, mixing until there are no dry patches. Dough will be quite loose. Cover, but not with an airtight lid. Let dough rise at room temperature 2 hours (or up to 5 hours).

2. Bake at this point or refrigerate, covered, for as long as two weeks. When ready to bake, sprinkle a little flour on dough and cut off a grapefruit-size piece with serrated knife. Turn dough in hands to lightly stretch surface, creating a rounded top and a lumpy bottom. Put dough on pizza peel sprinkled with cornmeal; let rest 40 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough or refrigerate it.

3. Place broiler pan on bottom of oven. Place baking stone on middle rack and turn oven to 450 degrees; heat stone at that temperature for 20 minutes.

4. Dust dough with flour, slash top with serrated or very sharp knife three times. Slide onto stone. Pour one cup hot water into broiler pan and shut oven quickly to trap steam. Bake until well browned, about 30 minutes. Cool completely.

Yield: 4 loaves.

I made a sandwich today and the bread is just like the great artisan breads you buy at the bakery!

NOTES FROM ANGELNINA: Make sure you use the pizza stone and add the hot water right after you slide dough oven. I do not have a pizza peel, so I used a small flat edged cookie sheet which I practically piled cornmeal on to make sure it wouldn’t stick no matter what ( I mean heap it on!). Then I grabbed my baker’s scraper just in case it needed a shove–it didn’t and slid right off. Again, I had loads of flour and cornmeal on the bottom to ensure proper fast slip off pan. Some people use parchment paper, but I haven’t tried it yet.

I used Gold Medal Bread Flour–so far nothing beats this flour for me, so I didn’t want to take a risk.
Live and Learn 09:06 AM 11-01-2011
I like the no knead bread recipe. We had it with dinner last night.
Meyou 09:34 AM 11-01-2011
I like Chuck Hughes No Knead bread.

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/ch...ml?dishID=9922
Cat Herder 09:36 AM 11-01-2011
I scour recipes.com and use the easiest one they have available on any particular day.

Granted I add stuff as I please...
galvin113 04:40 AM 11-02-2011
Thanks sharing this home made Bread Recipes. I like it.
themoorethemerrier 08:18 AM 11-05-2011
Oooo... Nice. I have a hard time making my bread because it's a quad recipe and takes 15 minutes to knead!

On my list - thank you!
Tags:bread, recipes
Reply Up