Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do you charge a winter supply fee?
Luvnmykidz 06:22 AM 09-27-2014
Do you charge a winter supply fee to purchase supplies for the winter and if so what supplies do you purchase and what do you usually charge? If not, do you send a letter requesting supplies to be brought in and kept at the daycare? The seasons are changing and I want to request that supplies be brought in by the end of October but I'm still deciding exactly what supplies are necessary for outdoor play in the winter. I do have a stash of winter coats in sizes from 12 months-5T and a few hats and gloves. I would like to request a sweatshirt or sweater and snow boots and snow pants to be left here. Are snow pants really a need for the winter months here in MD? I'm from Florida and still adjusting to the winters here. Is it realistic to expect parents to purchase double supplies( one for home and one to stay at the daycare), so forgetting things can be avoided? Or is it easier to charge a flat rate fee, purchase items and just keep them at the daycare? I'm just trying to find the best way to make sure we are not stuck in the house all winter because children do not have winter gear. Thanks for all of your suggestions and help with this matter.
Sugar Magnolia 06:47 AM 09-27-2014
Hello, fellow Floridian!! I have a general annual supply fee, but I make sure the cost of "seasonal" stuff is included, like bug spray (I spend big $$ on bug spray), stuff to clean mold off the building, outdoor water coolers and disposable drinking cups, outdoor wipes, etc. I charge $175 annually.

I would have parents supply all winter clothes, etc.
My parents are asked to supply extra summer clothes, mostly because it's so wet and rainy, the kids often get wet or messy outside. The mulch is constantly wet.

Do you miss Florida?
CraftyMom 07:08 AM 09-27-2014
Parents are responsible for supplying the winter gear for their child. I prefer they leave it here, however if they decide to bring it back and forth everyday and forget it at home one day they will either have to go get it or come pick up their child at outdoor time. I won't keep everyone in. I used to have extras on hand until parents started thinking "oh well, she has extras my child can use" then it became an everyday thing. I don't mind occasionally, but the problem was everyday and then it became more than one family and I didn't have enough extras.

Not sure about MD, but here in MA snowpants are needed all winter for warmth, not just for snow. It gets pretty cold. Along with hats and mittens
Josiegirl 08:57 AM 09-27-2014
Hmmm I never thought of charging a supply fee. I expect dcps to provide what their child needs and if something is forgotten(like snowpants) I will call them and let them know because they know we try to go out every day, no matter the weather. Well, unless it's -10 or so. As far as bug spray and everything else, dcps supply it if they want their child to use it. I do supply baby wipes, nothing else. I keep a supply of extra clothes, hats, mittens just in case, but even those are diminishing due to parents using them and forgetting to return them.
Reply Up