Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thumb Sucking...Help Please
frugalmama4 02:55 PM 01-14-2013
Hello,

I have a 9mo who sucks his thumb, I have never had a child own or dck do this. Is their any health, social, developmental issues that come from doing this?

I know one for the parents did this in to his late teens...doesn't seem like the parents are trying to discourage it.

Any advice?
daycare 03:01 PM 01-14-2013
Originally Posted by frugalmama4:
Hello,

I have a 9mo who sucks his thumb, I have never had a child own or dck do this. Is their any health, social, developmental issues that come from doing this?

I know one for the parents did this in to his late teens...doesn't seem like the parents are trying to discourage it.

Any advice?
there was just a posting about this same subject the other day...see if you can't search it.....there was some good advice in it.....

I wish I could help you with the search thing, but truth be told I stink at it....lol
frugalmama4 03:25 PM 01-14-2013
Found it, thanks daycare
daycarediva 08:30 AM 01-15-2013
I was the one who posted about it not too long ago (last week I believe). My dcb is 2.5 & still chronic thumb sucking!

Mom was not at all receptive other than just telling him "No thumb dcb" (which lasts 30 seconds, TOPS). When I told her that it was unusual at his age she was shocked as she claims her pediatrician told her "No child goes to school with a thumb in their mouth".
Country Kids 08:39 AM 01-15-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I was the one who posted about it not too long ago (last week I believe). My dcb is 2.5 & still chronic thumb sucking!

Mom was not at all receptive other than just telling him "No thumb dcb" (which lasts 30 seconds, TOPS). When I told her that it was unusual at his age she was shocked as she claims her pediatrician told her "No child goes to school with a thumb in their mouth".
I'm confused where you heard its unusual for a 2 1/2 year old to suck their thumb?

I have a 4 year old that still does and actually have known several children in elementary school that does. It actually is a habit that can start while in the womb! I have an altrusound picture of dd sucking in the womb and guess what-thumb sucker to an older age.
frugalmama4 08:40 AM 01-15-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

Yea, I found your thread. What shocks me is this is a teacher's kid. I would think they would try to break the habit. I know people say at this age its not a big deal...but in my opinion it is. This is a nasty habit, I can not chase this baby around all day making sure he doesn't touch someone with his wet hands or put his hands all over my furniture. When I think about the fact my own dog sits on the floor people walk on the floor with and without shoes...this kid is putting all those germs in his month.

The killer for me is that dad had this habit til he went to high school () he does the drop off and pick up...so talking to him is a waste of time.

It drives me crazy!!!

Thx for the vent.
Blackcat31 08:51 AM 01-15-2013
Most children stop sucking their thumbs between 3-6 years old. Most advice will say to simple ignore the behavior when the child is between those ages.

http://children.webmd.com/tc/thumb-s...topic-overview
daycarediva 08:53 AM 01-15-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I'm confused where you heard its unusual for a 2 1/2 year old to suck their thumb?

I have a 4 year old that still does and actually have known several children in elementary school that does. It actually is a habit that can start while in the womb! I have an altrusound picture of dd sucking in the womb and guess what-thumb sucker to an older age.
It is a self soothing behavior that if not stopped, WILL continue. I knew a child in my grade school that did it and was picked on mercilessly into high school. My own dd and ds were thumb suckers and I discouraged it/stopped it when they were old enough to self soothe without the thumb. Dd was 6m and ds was 10m when he finally stopped.

It is SO much easier to stop/discourage at a young age, like other less than desirable behaviors (nose picking, nail biting, etc)
countrymom 09:31 AM 01-15-2013
the problem with thumb sucking is that kids introduce so many germs into their mouths that they do tend to be sick alot. Thats why I always said that I would choose a soother over a thumb any day.
Holiday Park 09:51 AM 01-15-2013
I hav a 16 month old who is into his second week of our 2 week trial period. The reason I haven't terminated care is because I LOVE love love the schedule . After dcm's job training is over she will be picking him up 1/2 hour before my kids get off the bus . I have started fantasizing about terminating care with the PT dcg (I have other reasons too with her) and just keeping this 16month old and the infant since they would be betyer hours.

BUT he has the annoying habit of sucking on his two fingers almost every second of the day. When I first interviewed with his mom I was under the impression he did this only in new suroundings or if he was anxious. Well not only that, but he has had a on&off runny nose since yesterday and I have been wondering if he will be sick more often ve ause he touches everything with his wet spit fingers. I also dont want my own 15 month son and the other baby getting sick from his spit fingers.
Mom has NO problem with this , infact they just introduced a lovey for night time and after finding out she wont let him cry it out , I think its so he doesn't have to learn to self sooth (with out anything) . I tried seeing if i could stop him from it last werk and today . And he stixks them back in rght after I take them out and tell him no, thats how strong this habit is. So much that sometimes he cant even play with toys because that one hand is "tied up" with his mouth, making him one handed.
Willow 09:54 AM 01-15-2013
I too fail to see the problem with it, especially at just 9 months old.

I don't see the logic behind arguing it's a dirty habit either. At that age and into the 2's children put EVERYTHING into their mouths, toys, books, everything that's not a toy or book up to and including other children lol

Expecting children will not mouth/lick/suck on a myriad of things from birth-2/3 is extremely unrealistic. It's a sensory filled activity that for all kids helps them learn more about the world around them. It's why every single toy recommended for kids those ages has to be large enough for them not to put right into their mouths.....because everyone knows full well that's what kids those ages do.

Thumbs/fingers and nuks are just a consistent version of that stimulation that soothes them.

If you force a child to forgo the habit the WILL rebel. Every single child I've ever known to suck their thumbs past kindy had parents who thought for whatever reason that it was damaging and had to be stopped in infancy.

The parents that just let it go and leave the child be are the ones who's children stop it on their own much much sooner.

If you push it, guaranteed you will create a child who does this for *years* longer than they would have otherwise.
Holiday Park 09:54 AM 01-15-2013
Oh and be ause there are no major issues. I am thinking of letting dcm know that the finger sucking is making me cocerned about him becoming sick more often as that I will have to observe how often he gets sick over the course of the next few months. What do you all think about that ?
Country Kids 09:57 AM 01-15-2013
Just because a child sucks their thumbs does not mean they will be anymore sick then another child. They even maybe sick less because their bodies actually become immuned to alot of germs. Think of how doctors/nurses/health care workers/teachers are less sick then most. They are in constant contact with germs.

All the thumb suckers I have had are actually some of the healthiest kids, miss less days that I have ever had.

My own thumb suckers were healthy little ones!
Willow 10:01 AM 01-15-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:

Every ultrasound I had of my daughter she had her fist up by her face. Within minutes of birth she brought her fist up and popped in her middle and ring finger. I remember thinking "OH! So that's what you were doing!!!!

I only had one person ever say anything about it, an elderly woman came up to me in the grocery store once. She asked if she was a "retarded child" and told me I shouldn't let her suck on her fingers like that or other people would "know."

I thought it was adorable and never bothered her about it. She stopped around age 4 when the calluses on the backs of her fingers from her teeth started bothering her.

That and she didn't like that her polish would come off when we did her nails

(The child is dyslexic but otherwise smart as a tack btw. She's also only been on antibiotics once in her entire 10 years )
NeedaVaca 10:03 AM 01-15-2013
If I was going to term a child because of thumb sucking I would have almost no kiddos...While I agree it can be "yucky" it just doesn't bother me. My own kids never did this but when I see my DCK's doing it I don't see anything abnormal about it, lots of kids do this and eventually outgrow it. Most of my DCK don't walk around all day with thumbs in their mouths but as soon as I get books out for story time they all pop those thumbs in their mouths! We wash hands a lot though
Holiday Park 10:37 AM 01-15-2013
Than how do you prevent them from spreading ther sick getms if the child has a cold/sneezing/runnynise ad is not only wiping the snot with hands but touching things in between sucking b fingers while sick? I have a strict illness policy but colds don't cause a child to be excluded. However, wiping spit fingers on everything after sucking on them is just spreading the germs directly.
Willow 11:13 AM 01-15-2013
Originally Posted by Holiday Park:
Than how do you prevent them from spreading ther sick getms if the child has a cold/sneezing/runnynise ad is not only wiping the snot with hands but touching things in between sucking b fingers while sick? I have a strict illness policy but colds don't cause a child to be excluded. However, wiping spit fingers on everything after sucking on them is just spreading the germs directly.
I'm not sure why you think kids that *don't* suck their thumbs never stick their fingers or other things in their mouths?

If you exclude or term for thumb sucking when a child is sick claiming they introduce more germs into the environment then you should also technically exclude or term any child who puts any toys into their mouth.

I'd say good luck with that if you ever watch any child under the age of 3.

Mouth germs on thumb and then a child touching other toys compared to mouth germs on toys when they're put directly in the mouth - there is absolutely no difference.
Holiday Park 02:22 PM 01-15-2013
Very Good point about touching stuff wet spity fingers being the same as a baby mouthing stuff. The dfference to me is when they are *sick* with snot noses and doing that. I'm going to just take my chances and see how it goes. I have never had my own baby while doing childcare at the same time . My three older school age kids were all past this age&stage and so being in school , were not exposed in the same way. Its all good. Im not terminating care with anyone unless someone starts coming with constant colds ALL the time(meaning every week) or something.
frugalmama4 02:47 PM 01-15-2013
Did I ask the wrong question???

Well hear me out, the thumb sucking is not my only issue with this kid. This is the second week of care...so we're still getting to know each other. He's not a good eater "doesn't like eating off the spoon" use to eating a full bottle with cereal". I personal don't think a 9mo should have cereal in the bottle..just my two cents on that. So I'm working with him to get use to being spoon fed and bottles only for formula.

Also, in order for my program/home/business to run the way I need it to...all kids have to self sooth...I'm sorry if this makes anyone mad...but I'm only one person with two hands...I can not and will not rock/hold/pat every kid to sleep...that's just crazy. And yes I have my old kid home with me, who must self sooth to sleep as well.

I'm not thinking of terming this family...so far everything has been good. I just have never dealt with thumb sucking and needed to know if their could be any health, social issues to come form this nasty habit.

Thx yall
sharlan 02:53 PM 01-15-2013
My first daycare girl sucked her thumb until she was 7. Her dentist put a device (tongue thrust?) on the roof of her mouth that was supposed to make it uncomfortable to suck her thumb. She learned to work around it. She eventually stopped on her own. She was the least sick of all my kids. She didn't get the chicken pox, hand foot and mouth, or the colds that my other kids got.

Her baby sucks her thumb, too.

At 9 mos, I wouldn't worry about it. I think it's more natural than a pacifier.
sharlan 02:55 PM 01-15-2013
I would be more concerned about the cereal in the bottle. Mom probably does it because it's easier for her.
Willow 04:28 PM 01-15-2013
Originally Posted by frugalmama4:
Did I ask the wrong question???

Well hear me out, the thumb sucking is not my only issue with this kid. This is the second week of care...so we're still getting to know each other. He's not a good eater "doesn't like eating off the spoon" use to eating a full bottle with cereal". I personal don't think a 9mo should have cereal in the bottle..just my two cents on that. So I'm working with him to get use to being spoon fed and bottles only for formula.

Also, in order for my program/home/business to run the way I need it to...all kids have to self sooth...I'm sorry if this makes anyone mad...but I'm only one person with two hands...I can not and will not rock/hold/pat every kid to sleep...that's just crazy. And yes I have my old kid home with me, who must self sooth to sleep as well.

I'm not thinking of terming this family...so far everything has been good. I just have never dealt with thumb sucking and needed to know if their could be any health, social issues to come form this nasty habit.

Thx yall
I really wouldn't worry about the thumb sucking. Babies have been doing it since the beginning of time and no one is ever worse for wear for it....unless you try to stop it, then you'll likely be inviting the fight of your life you have no chance of winning lol.

As for the cereal in the bottle bit have you asked mom if there is a reason for it? Perhaps the baby's tongue thrust reflex still hasn't tapered off (rare, but still a possibility), maybe he's tongue tied and struggles with manipulating, or has a stronger gag reflex, heck, I've even heard of opting to feed cereal in a bottle for those with reflux because with straight cereal they swallow more air and that irritates the belly. There could be lots of reasons why it might be entirely necessary at this point with this child even if upon first glance it seems silly.

There's also the possibility that she just doesn't know a baby can eat off a spoon at that age? Lots of first time parents perceive early struggle with solids with a baby "not liking" them when it's just a matter of practice makes perfect.

If you are on a food program spoon feeding solids might be required by 9 months so make sure you check on that. If it is, and there is a good reason why he can't ask mom to get a dietary statement from the child's pediatrician.

Keep in mind it's common practice elsewhere in the world to only breastfeed or formula feed through the entire first year. Pushing solids so early here in the United States is definitely a cultural thing.

Can be frustrating but exploring all explanations of why the parents might be delaying could be helpful for you to gain some understanding.
frugalmama4 04:48 PM 01-15-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
I really wouldn't worry about the thumb sucking. Babies have been doing it since the beginning of time and no one is ever worse for wear for it....unless you try to stop it, then you'll likely be inviting the fight of your life you have no chance of winning lol.

As for the cereal in the bottle bit have you asked mom if there is a reason for it? Perhaps the baby's tongue thrust reflex still hasn't tapered off (rare, but still a possibility), maybe he's tongue tied and struggles with manipulating, or has a stronger gag reflex, heck, I've even heard of opting to feed cereal in a bottle for those with reflux because with straight cereal they swallow more air and that irritates the belly. There could be lots of reasons why it might be entirely necessary at this point with this child even if upon first glance it seems silly.

There's also the possibility that she just doesn't know a baby can eat off a spoon at that age? Lots of first time parents perceive early struggle with solids with a baby "not liking" them when it's just a matter of practice makes perfect.

If you are on a food program spoon feeding solids might be required by 9 months so make sure you check on that. If it is, and there is a good reason why he can't ask mom to get a dietary statement from the child's pediatrician.

Keep in mind it's common practice elsewhere in the world to only breastfeed or formula feed through the entire first year. Pushing solids so early here in the United States is definitely a cultural thing.

Can be frustrating but exploring all explanations of why the parents might be delaying could be helpful for you to gain some understanding.
I total agree it could be other issues with this baby. So far from what I have observed its just the easy route to put the cereal in the bottle. This is mom second baby...so nope to the first time baby blues. He eats find off the spoon...its just he's not an inserted/invested eater "has to be coast to eat"would rather his bottle over the spoon. As far as the thumb sucking...I understand at this age its not really a problem...but in my opinion why wait until it could be a big problem...stop the habit now. Just my two cents....

Thanks for the feed back.
mema 05:48 PM 01-15-2013
I have a thumb sucker-she's 3. She use to have it in her mouth all the time, now it's just at rest time. Her sister-10-sucks hers all the time. All day, everyday. On a side note, my bil is 36 and still sucks his thumb. It is funny to watch. He'll be watching baseball and all the sudden he goes from drinking his beer to sucking his thumb. His buddies have a hay day with it!
Patches 07:30 PM 01-15-2013
My own son still sucks his thumb and he's 5. He started when he was 6 months right after I stop nursing him and I tried to give him a pacifier but he wouldn't take it. Anyway, as he gets older he is doing it less and less. Now he only does it when he's tired and trying to go to sleep so I'm hoping he outgrows it soon
theycallmetaytor 08:40 PM 01-15-2013
One of my dcp is a friend...she's 25 and still sucks her thumb. Gross! I am so glad her daughter doesn't do it too!
Mamaski210 04:21 PM 01-16-2013
Yuu can check out Thumbuddy To Love to help stop thumb sucking. Kids love it and a good age to break the habit is around age 3. Google Thumbuddy To Love.
Tags:health issues, thumb sucking
Reply Up