Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Filling Spots with Drop Ins
Max 06:12 AM 05-12-2017
I'm thinking if a family is interested in drop in care, regularly or occasionally, I could add them to an email group (after they send in req'd paperwork and signed contract) and then if I have a day with open spots and want to try and fill it, I could send one email to the 'Drop In Group.' First to respond, gets it.

Not sure how often parents would actually take this up. Prob would be best for stay at home or work at home parents. But it could be an easy way to fill spots throughout the year. You could even have the email template saved and just update what age the opening is for before sending.

What do you guys do to help fill spots with drop ins?
Blackcat31 06:29 AM 05-12-2017
Originally Posted by Max:
I'm thinking if a family is interested in drop in care, regularly or occasionally, I could add them to an email group (after they send in req'd paperwork and signed contract) and then if I have a day with open spots and want to try and fill it, I could send one email to the 'Drop In Group.' First to respond, gets it.

Not sure how often parents would actually take this up. Prob would be best for stay at home or work at home parents. But it could be an easy way to fill spots throughout the year. You could even have the email template saved and just update what age the opening is for before sending.

What do you guys do to help fill spots with drop ins?
I don't fill spaces with drop ins. Very rarely worth it IMHO.

I'd rather have a lighter day verses making sure every space is full.

To counter act the financial side of that, I just charge a flat weekly rate and that way my weekly budget isn't impacted by an open space (ie: no drop in's necessary)
Leigh 07:21 AM 05-12-2017
The only drop ins I take anymore are kids I know (if a friend's daycare is closed for the day) or kids from CPS. I often have foster kids for a day or two until long term daycare is found. If you really want those spaces filled up, you could contact your local CPS and offer temporary services when you have space.
Baby Beluga 07:59 AM 05-12-2017
I agree with BC, it is rarely worth it.

I used to fill in spots with drop ins. The day was always so chaotic and in my experience drop ins are less likely to follow the rules in your HB/contract.
Max 08:26 AM 05-12-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
The only drop ins I take anymore are kids I know (if a friend's daycare is closed for the day) or kids from CPS. I often have foster kids for a day or two until long term daycare is found. If you really want those spaces filled up, you could contact your local CPS and offer temporary services when you have space.
That's a great idea, thanks!!
Blackcat31 09:37 AM 05-12-2017
Originally Posted by Max:
That's a great idea, thanks!!
We have what is called Crisis Nursery

Families in need of temporary child care or respite type care on short notice. Usually the county takes care of the costs for families and pays the provider directly.

I will PM you the contact info for the Crisis Nursery in your county.
Tags:drop in care
Reply Up