Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>8 Months and Still No Real Income. Is It Worth It???
DestinyAja 08:04 AM 09-21-2016
I started my daycare because I love children, I wanted to stay home with my children, so they could interact with other kids, and I wanted to make money while doing it.

It's been 8 months and I'm still broke. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. As soon as I get a good solid 6 or 7 kids, one of the families loses a job, or the children end up being so bad that I have to terminate them. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be this stressful. The kids are disrespectful, the parents are always defending them, and always need some sort of "deal", they pay late, they refuse to help me and work with their children at home. I cook this food, they don't eat it. They sneeze and cough and don't cover their nose or mouth, the parents swear up and down that it's "allergy season".

I've tried to hire 3 different helpers, they were all unreliable. I'm stress eating and drinking wine every night. I've gained about 35 pounds doing this business. I'm neglecting my own 2 boys (9 months old and 3 yrs old). By the time the last family leaves at 6pm, I don't want to hear another cry or fix another bottle, wipe another table, wash another dish or change another diaper.

I'm confused. Where is the joy and the satisfaction of it all?? The good thing is my ex-husband has agreed to continue to pay all of our bills and support us in lieu of child support, so the money that I make is mine. But I'm not even making enough money to do anything nice for myself or my boys. Raising them as a single mom, I don't make enough money to take a "break" from it all.

Somebody brought this dang Hand Foot and Mouth Disease up in my house a couple weeks ago, and I know it didn't come from my house or my boys because they were the last ones to get it. So I had to close down for 2 days last week and nurse my boys back to health. The parents received a credit this week since I had to close, and I ended up losing 1 family behind the virus, and another family still has their child out with it. So I'm pretty much back to square 1 again.

How long does it take before I start seeing some real money? At the end of the week after buying food and supplies, I only have about $100 left. I'm not even making enough money to invest back into the business. Is it supposed to be this stressful??? I need some serious guidance please! I dunno if I'm overreacting or what. Do I need more patience? (That is a weakness of mine). I feel like I don't want to shut it down, bcuz people say I quit at everything (another weakness). But if something isn't working, then why keep at it? Do I need to close and revamp my business and get a whole new crew of children in here? I'm lost.
NeedaVaca 08:16 AM 09-21-2016
How many kids do you currently have and how much do you charge? I would take a good look at your contract and make changes so you are happy. I charge 52 weeks per year regardless of the child's attendance, I also take 2 weeks paid vacation and 5 paid personal days plus major holidays. I always know what my income is each week and have enough time off to keep myself happy.

Save as much money as you can on food/supplies! I coupon heavily and the money saved is money in my pocket. Put money away for savings so when you lose a family you have cushion until you find a replacement.

Those are just a couple of things to think about, I'm sure more people will chime in with other ideas
DestinyAja 08:30 AM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
How many kids do you currently have and how much do you charge?
I have 5 kids now. I just lost 1 this week.

3 months - $130
13 months - $135
brothers 3 yrs and 9 months - $220
2 yr old - $130

The contract I have just basically says they have to give a 2 week notice before terminating.
LysesKids 08:40 AM 09-21-2016
Can you cut back on the # of kids & ditch the helper? that right there costs you at least minimum wage each hour she works & unless you can make more than what it costs you it doesn't make sense to have her. Also are you on the food program, that can help with food costs too
DestinyAja 08:42 AM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Can you cut back on the # of kids & ditch the helper? that right there costs you at least minimum wage each hour she works & unless you can make more than what it costs you it doesn't make sense to have her
I don't have a helper. I can't afford one. I've tried to hire helpers in the past, but they were unreliable.
MyAngels 08:45 AM 09-21-2016
It looks like you're giving a discount of some kind to the sibling set? If that's the case, that small discount really adds up over time. I'd start by cutting that discount off and charging them full price.
daycare 08:45 AM 09-21-2016
i think one thing we all do when we are starting out is take whoever is willing to sign up. After dealing with parents and children that don't treat us well we start to realize we need to change.

I found this site after already being in business for many years. I wish I would have found it sooner, not even sure it exists back then. But I am so happy that I did find it.

I learned how to set my expectations of what I wanted, which in return I was able to learn to choose the families that fit best into my program based on me.

I changed all of my handbooks, policies with the parents, demanded respect from the families and grew a backbone. Trust me when I tell you, it didn't happen over night. It all took time.

learning how to interview was probably where I had the hardest time and where I was going wrong. I really had to learn to ask better questions, explain in full detail my expectations and really try to judge without judging if that makes sense...lol

Also, do you have a two week paid trial period?
happymom 08:57 AM 09-21-2016
Is the sibling set by chance your own children? (I noticed the ages were exactly the same)
childcaremom 09:04 AM 09-21-2016
I started daycare because I, too, love kids and wanted to be home with my own. I stayed with daycare because I can make some good money at it. It required a huge shift in my thinking, though.

I would look at how much you need to be making and then charge enough so that you are making that. Divide it over the 52 weeks and don't give discounts.

I really learned a lot my first year. I made a lot of mistakes and needed to make a lot of changes. Once I did, I was happier. It did involve a lot of advertising and replacing, as I had pretty much signed up anyone and everyone.

Big things that have helped me:
*setting hours and not deviating from them for anyone. I start to resent the extra hours eventually.
*strict illness policy. Very strict. I dislike very much having sick kids here. So I make very clear that I am well childcare only.
*very clear policies and sticking to them right from the get go. My clients respect me more for it.
*revamping my interview process. Being picky about who I let in has made me happier.
wonderfullisa 09:07 AM 09-21-2016
Do you meal plan and budget out your money? $550 on food and supplies each week sounds awfully high. You either have a leak in expenses (spending more money than you realise on something), or you need to change the things you are buying.
Keep reading. This board is very helpful!
Play Care 09:18 AM 09-21-2016
Ugh, I am sorry! I started out slow which helped tremendously. I also lucked out in getting great kids from a retiring great (strict!) provider. She had them trained!

But I don't think I really started making good money until after my own kids went to school, and I could fill their spaces with paying clients. Then I got bumped to Tier 1 on the food program which was a major jump.

A few things I did to make life easier for me and make me feel better about my program:

My kids rooms/toys were off limits. I bought day care toys for day care. This leveled the playing field by giving my kids the same rights as the day care kids - the right to their own space/things.

I get paid, no matter what. If I'm sick, if a dck kid is out sick, if I am off for a major holiday, etc etc etc. Doesn't matter. I get paid. I need to make a steady income to run a reliable program.

Having ONE day care area, with all other things inaccessible to the dck's. It makes my day so much more relaxing/stress free if I'm not worried that Sammy is going somewhere I don't want him to be to while I'm changing a diaper or making lunch.

Learned to handle minor issues without involving parents. I don't know your situation, but unless the behavior is completely inappropriate or dangerous, I handle it. If it becomes an ongoing issue, I will say something to the parent. But that rarely happens. I found that when I was too chatty, parents interpreted that as me not knowing what I was doing

But at the end of the day, only you know what you can handle. If you have an issue with changing jobs frequently, maybe look at some training you can take to land a job that you'd enjoy more?
DestinyAja 09:22 AM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by happymom:
Is the sibling set by chance your own children? (I noticed the ages were exactly the same)
No those aren't my own children. Me and the parents were both very excited that our children were the exact same age. I guess that's why now she thinks she can walk in here with only a partial payment and promise to pay it next week.
JackandJill 09:28 AM 09-21-2016
I feel like you described my first year in daycare. I was so broke, tired and stressed (and I have put on 40 pounds ). I had families that I didn't really want but needed the money. I put their schedules and needs ahead of my own.

I can say, from experience, the only way I was able to stay in business was to put myself and my business first. I set hours that became non negotiable. I made a handbook - it is now 13 pages long - and I ENFORCE my handbook. Any extra service comes with a fee. I LEARNED TO SAY NO. I changed my mindset from thinking "I have to do xyz otherwise the family will leave" to "This is how I do things, if they leave, another family will come that is a better fit." I stopped doing above and beyond crafts and activities that cost a fortune and simplified our daily routine.

I am going into my third year in business. I am happier, my families are all amazing, I no longer just take anyone just to fill a spot. It didn't all happen at once, it was uncomfortable to be honest. But you need to do it otherwise you will be closing your doors!

You can do it! start tonight by writing down how you want your business to be set up, and then make a to do list with steps to get your from where you are today tow where you ultimately want to be. Each week make one change until you are happy! Best of luck!
mommyneedsadayoff 09:32 AM 09-21-2016
Is food/supplies your only expense? Do you have car pymt or cell phone bill, ect? If not, then you need to find ways to cut the food cost way down. $500 a week is outrageously high for a family of 3, even with the daycare kids.
Heart12 09:41 AM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by DestinyAja:
No those aren't my own children. Me and the parents were both very excited that our children were the exact same age. I guess that's why now she thinks she can walk in here with only a partial payment and promise to pay it next week.
These kinds of parents will take full advantage of you if you allow them to! It sounds like maybe you need to update your contract & follow through with your policies. Its hard at first, but it makes a HUGE difference! This is my first year in business & I've learned soooo much from this forum.
Pestle 09:46 AM 09-21-2016
It seems like the kids and the parents are causing you stress you don't want to keep dealing with forever. Do you want small-picture advice (how to work to solve the individual problems you're having), or big-picture advice (career counseling)?

"the children end up being so bad that I have to terminate them."

Behavioral problems come with the territory. If you're thinking of the kids as "bad" and you believe you need to get rid of "bad" kids, this might not be the best lifelong career for you.

"Somebody brought this dang Hand Foot and Mouth Disease up in my house a couple weeks ago, and I know it didn't come from my house or my boys."

Germs also come with the territory. If frequent sickness is a huge source of stress or if it makes you come into conflict with the parents/try to assign blame, this might not be the best lifelong career for you.

If dependence on your ex is something you want to be free from, this might not be the best lifelong career for you.

If this frustration is swallowing you up every day and affecting your life with your family, this might not be the best lifelong career for you.

If you feel like you need to keep going because of all the time, money, and energy you've already sunk into it--stop! You'll only sink further and further in as you go.
TXhomedaycare 09:51 AM 09-21-2016
sorry to hear that. Some of the things you just said is a learning curve (kids with no manners for example). You will get to teach them how to act at your home and get use to some of the things you won't be able to change but it can still be annoying. I would first call and see how much you competition is charging and see how much competition you have and what they offer. I'm not sure where you live in Texas but in some areas there are a ton of daycare homes (i'm talking like a few on a single street). I would put together a strong handbook and contract before you enroll anyone else and review your interview process to make sure you are weeding out the problem families. I only take kids 18 months to 5 years so I can take more and have kids that are at an age where the are not as needy as infants (I love infants but I will never take them again unless I take only infants). Decide what kind of program you have to offer and what will make it special and go from there. I took store bought cupcakes and treats to the school around the corner from my house and hung up signs anywhere I could and handed out business cards like crazy. I am registered with the state of Texas so I can take 6 kids and I could never afford an assistant (I also don't need one since the age group I have is easy). I am enrolled in the food program, use coupons and shop at costco for things that I can buy in bulk to save money. Over the past 2 years the only things I have done is keep changing my program to make sure it works well for me first, kids second and parents last . If you offer a good program they will eventually come and stay. I am glad you use this forum since it will benefit you greatly. This job is for resourceful, resilient people who understand that constantly assessing yourself and your program is beneficial to all parties. When I started my 2 sons were my motivation that kept me going. It will get better, don't give up.
Controlled Chaos 09:52 AM 09-21-2016
I'm confused.

I added up the tuition you listed x 52 weeks a year / 12 months a year and that =$2,665. That number should be your monthly gross.

How are you having no money left at the end? What are you spending on food and supplies? Are you on the food program?

How I started making money - Let's say I need a minimum of $2000 a month in profit to make ends meet.
$2000 + $500 in food + $400 in est taxes + $100 misc +$100 daycare insurance = $3100
I want to watch 6 additional children so 3100/6 = $516.67
So I am going to round up and say I need to charge $520 per month per child. That is $120 a week.

Then I am going to enforce my policies and treat myself like a successful business owner and treat my clients like clients. Be fair, consistent and value yourself and your services. NO PAY NO STAY.

What makes your program special? Market yourself wisely. Make a website and a FB page. Get yourself listed online. Share what makes you awesome with your parents daily - "We read so many books today! Sara's favorite was ___". Once you get more interest, more calls and even a wait list you can relax a bit.
daycarediva 09:57 AM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Ugh, I am sorry! I started out slow which helped tremendously. I also lucked out in getting great kids from a retiring great (strict!) provider. She had them trained!

But I don't think I really started making good money until after my own kids went to school, and I could fill their spaces with paying clients. Then I got bumped to Tier 1 on the food program which was a major jump.

A few things I did to make life easier for me and make me feel better about my program:

My kids rooms/toys were off limits. I bought day care toys for day care. This leveled the playing field by giving my kids the same rights as the day care kids - the right to their own space/things.

I get paid, no matter what. If I'm sick, if a dck kid is out sick, if I am off for a major holiday, etc etc etc. Doesn't matter. I get paid. I need to make a steady income to run a reliable program.

Having ONE day care area, with all other things inaccessible to the dck's. It makes my day so much more relaxing/stress free if I'm not worried that Sammy is going somewhere I don't want him to be to while I'm changing a diaper or making lunch.

Learned to handle minor issues without involving parents. I don't know your situation, but unless the behavior is completely inappropriate or dangerous, I handle it. If it becomes an ongoing issue, I will say something to the parent. But that rarely happens. I found that when I was too chatty, parents interpreted that as me not knowing what I was doing

But at the end of the day, only you know what you can handle. If you have an issue with changing jobs frequently, maybe look at some training you can take to land a job that you'd enjoy more?
great advice!

I also recommend really advertising/interviewing and RAISING YOUR RATES. You will make more money, and get parents who can afford to pay you.
Unregistered 10:08 AM 09-21-2016
1. You have bills just like your parents do and it appears as if she's also getting a discount. I would implement the no pay no stay rule because no matter how much you love children you're doing this to make money just like how mom is doing her job to make money. 2. Get rid of the sibling discount because you're the one taking a loss in income. 3. Set your hours based on how many hours you think you can work without losing your sanity. 4. I clean up throughout the day. Most of my kitchen is cleaned during lunch time so when I lay everyone down for nap all I have to do is clean high chairs and sweep what ever food up around the high chair. Even if the little ones are fussy I still make sure all of the dishes are washed prior to me letting everyone out of there chairs to go start cleaning them up and changing diapers. I'm sorry but I need nap time to take a breather and get myself in the right frame of mind for the second part of the day. I also make sure everything is clean before everyone leaves for the day.5. I charge when I'm sick and when my dck's are out sick. Because like someone said I need to have reliable income in order to be a reliable daycare provider. 6. This to me is the most important of all. When I'm off I'm off. With the exception of grocery shopping on the weekends I don't think about daycare. I even started scheduling all of my interviews during daycare hours. I've only been open a little over a year and one of the reasons I opened was so I can spend as much time with my kids as possible but I was always too tired or stressed out to do that very thing. My family was the ones suffering. I refuse to neglect my own kids because I'm stressed out worrying about this daycare. I hope this helps and good luck.
Kayschildcare 12:42 PM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I'm confused.

I added up the tuition you listed x 52 weeks a year / 12 months a year and that =$2,665. That number should be your monthly gross.

How are you having no money left at the end? What are you spending on food and supplies? Are you on the food program?

How I started making money - Let's say I need a minimum of $2000 a month in profit to make ends meet.
$2000 + $500 in food + $400 in est taxes + $100 misc +$100 daycare insurance = $3100
I want to watch 6 additional children so 3100/6 = $516.67
So I am going to round up and say I need to charge $520 per month per child. That is $120 a week.

Then I am going to enforce my policies and treat myself like a successful business owner and treat my clients like clients. Be fair, consistent and value yourself and your services. NO PAY NO STAY.

What makes your program special? Market yourself wisely. Make a website and a FB page. Get yourself listed online. Share what makes you awesome with your parents daily - "We read so many books today! Sara's favorite was ___". Once you get more interest, more calls and even a wait list you can relax a bit.
Good tips especially about figuring out how much you need to make a profilt.
DestinyAja 12:51 PM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by happymom:
DestinyAja 12:53 PM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:

What exactly do you mean by "handle"? I do timeouts. Are there some other methods???
DestinyAja 12:56 PM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by JackandJill:
I feel like you described my first year in daycare. I was so broke, tired and stressed (and I have put on 40 pounds ). I had families that I didn't really want but needed the money. I put their schedules and needs ahead of my own.

I can say, from experience, the only way I was able to stay in business was to put myself and my business first. I set hours that became non negotiable. I made a handbook - it is now 13 pages long - and I ENFORCE my handbook. Any extra service comes with a fee. I LEARNED TO SAY NO. I changed my mindset from thinking "I have to do xyz otherwise the family will leave" to "This is how I do things, if they leave, another family will come that is a better fit." I stopped doing above and beyond crafts and activities that cost a fortune and simplified our daily routine.

I am going into my third year in business. I am happier, my families are all amazing, I no longer just take anyone just to fill a spot. It didn't all happen at once, it was uncomfortable to be honest. But you need to do it otherwise you will be closing your doors!

You can do it! start tonight by writing down how you want your business to be set up, and then make a to do list with steps to get your from where you are today tow where you ultimately want to be. Each week make one change until you are happy! Best of luck!

Thank you! I admit that I have been extremely leanient thinking that I need the money and afraid I won't be able to fill the spot. Afraid of doing it all over again, or I guess just lazy not wanting to do it all over again.
DestinyAja 01:02 PM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
Is food/supplies your only expense? Do you have car pymt or cell phone bill, ect? If not, then you need to find ways to cut the food cost way down. $500 a week is outrageously high for a family of 3, even with the daycare kids.
No that's not my only expense. I have to buy diapers, clothes, auto insurance, cell phone bill, gas, the regular daily expenses of myself and 2 young boys, I had a couple traffic tickets to pay, etc. But that's the thing, I'm not making a consistent $500/week. One week it will be $500, the next week it will be $250, then maybe $300, so it always seems like I'm playing catchup whenever I finally do get the full amount.
daycare 01:15 PM 09-21-2016
No that's not my only expense. I have to buy diapers, clothes, auto insurance, cell phone bill, gas, the regular daily expenses of myself and 2 young boys, I had a couple traffic tickets to pay, etc. But that's the thing, I'm not making a consistent $500/week. One week it will be $500, the next week it will be $250, then maybe $300, so it always seems like I'm playing catchup whenever I finally do get the full amount.
how are you billing your clients?
example. I require payment if your child is in care or not. My contracts states:

your payment is due every friday in advance and will be deposited when received. Your payment is securing your child's spot, NOT based on the time that it is used.

Checks will not be held for any reason and must be paid by closing. Should the preschool be closed or owner is out on a payment due date, a new payment due date will be posted.

ALL PAYMENTS MUST BE PAID IN FULL. PARTIAL PAYMENTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. FULL Payments is due regardless if your child is in attendance or not. There will be no day transfers or credits for days your child does not attend due to illness, vacation or otherwise.

Any payment that is not paid in full will be subject to a late fee as follows:

1st late fee $50
2nd late fee $100
3rd late fee $150 and termination of contract without refund.

NO PAY NO STAY: If you fail to make payment, your child will not be able to return , until payment has been made in full. Failing to contact the childcare after 3 days without payment, will result in immediate termination of contract without refund.

I know a lot of us require payment no matter if the child attends or not. It's too hard to forecast a budget otherwise.

Its like renting a house. you can't go on vacation for 3 weeks and turn around, tell your landlord, I was gone for 3 weeks so here is payment for one full week. If you want your spot to come home to, payment is required in full.
DestinyAja 01:39 PM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
how are you billing your clients?
example. I require payment if your child is in care or not. My contracts states:

your payment is due every friday in advance and will be deposited when received. Your payment is securing your child's spot, NOT based on the time that it is used.

Checks will not be held for any reason and must be paid by closing. Should the preschool be closed or owner is out on a payment due date, a new payment due date will be posted.

ALL PAYMENTS MUST BE PAID IN FULL. PARTIAL PAYMENTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. FULL Payments is due regardless if your child is in attendance or not. There will be no day transfers or credits for days your child does not attend due to illness, vacation or otherwise.

Any payment that is not paid in full will be subject to a late fee as follows:

1st late fee $50
2nd late fee $100
3rd late fee $150 and termination of contract without refund.

NO PAY NO STAY: If you fail to make payment, your child will not be able to return , until payment has been made in full. Failing to contact the childcare after 3 days without payment, will result in immediate termination of contract without refund.

I know a lot of us require payment no matter if the child attends or not. It's too hard to forecast a budget otherwise.

Its like renting a house. you can't go on vacation for 3 weeks and turn around, tell your landlord, I was gone for 3 weeks so here is payment for one full week. If you want your spot to come home to, payment is required in full.

Payments are due on Mondays at the time of drop off. My contract states that tuition is based on holding your child's spot and not on attendance. Therefore there is no reduction for illness, vacation, or other reasons. I just thought I was supposed to credit them because it was my child who was sick and my decision to close. One of my parents did complain saying that they had to pay double for me being closed because they had to pay someone else to watch the child while I was closed. So I thought I was being considerate and understanding to their needs.
DestinyAja 01:45 PM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:

What do you do when they show up at the door, dropping off their kids on the way to work and say "all I have is $95, here you go" do you just turn them and their kids away right then and there at 7:45am??
daycare 01:49 PM 09-21-2016
Payments are due on Mondays at the time of drop off. My contract states that tuition is based on holding your child's spot and not on attendance. Therefore there is no reduction for illness, vacation, or other reasons. I just thought I was supposed to credit them because it was my child who was sick and my decision to close. One of my parents did complain saying that they had to pay double for me being closed because they had to pay someone else to watch the child while I was closed. So I thought I was being considerate and understanding to their needs.
I guess I thought you were not charging on days when kids didn't attend do to the huge pay difference from week to week.

I would have done the same as you and gave a credit in the past. NOW I build that in to my rate that I have 3 sick days each year that I can use//close my business if I need to. I can use it to take care of myself or my children.
daycare 01:51 PM 09-21-2016
What do you do when they show up at the door, dropping off their kids on the way to work and say "all I have is $95, here you go" do you just turn them and their kids away right then and there at 7:45am??
so my payments are due on friday by closing. This way I buy the groceries and supplies needed for the week and I am not out of pocket any money.
if they show up on monday, yes they not only have to have payment in full, but they also have to have the late fee as well. I will send them a text reminder first thing in the AM so that they don't even try to show up without out. If they do, I will say, I really wish I could let little johnny stay, however, I need payment before he can. I will see you soon...smile and close the door.

If they ask to drop later and this is the first time, have been with me awhile and have good standing with me sure, but if that is not the case, then no. so it is a case by case situation based on payment history.
DaveA 01:53 PM 09-21-2016
Yes. Exactly that. Tell all parents " effective immediately partial payments will no longer be accepted." Then enforce it. They wouldn't go into work if they only got paid part of their paycheck. No reason you should have to.
Play Care 01:55 PM 09-21-2016
It's possible that you are in an area where daycares just aren't good business. Maybe there is too much competition or maybe the market won't bear a reasonable tuition, I don't know.
Sometimes the clients just aren't there.
Snowmom 02:06 PM 09-21-2016
The first year can be the most difficult! It's a big change emotionally and physically.

In addition to the above posters...

Money tips: Look at your food expenses and portion sizes to research where you can save.
Do you have discount stores nearby: Big Lots, Aldi's, etc.
Are you buying name brand?
Will bulk purchases be beneficial?
Are you using everything or throwing a lot away- you don't NEED to put monstrous servings on the child's plate as long as you have more available if they eat (food program). Freeze or dehydrate foods that are getting close to over-rippening or spoiling.

What are you requiring your families to supply?
Diapers, wipes, klenexes, etc.

Once you get over that one year hump and see the tax benefits too (write offs for your home and vehicle), it can be more rewarding than you think.
Just last year I got to write off windows I replaced, a Rainbow Swingset and new carpet. Of course, there was a lot of wear and tear too!
I also got grant money to purchase 2 new bicycles, playground surfacing and various toys. So definitely research state grants.
MunchkinWrangler 02:07 PM 09-21-2016
I started my daycare because I love children, I wanted to stay home with my children, so they could interact with other kids, and I wanted to make money while doing it.

It's been 8 months and I'm still broke. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. As soon as I get a good solid 6 or 7 kids, one of the families loses a job, or the children end up being so bad that I have to terminate them. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be this stressful. The kids are disrespectful, the parents are always defending them, and always need some sort of "deal", they pay late, they refuse to help me and work with their children at home. I cook this food, they don't eat it. They sneeze and cough and don't cover their nose or mouth, the parents swear up and down that it's "allergy season".

I've tried to hire 3 different helpers, they were all unreliable. I'm stress eating and drinking wine every night. I've gained about 35 pounds doing this business. I'm neglecting my own 2 boys (9 months old and 3 yrs old). By the time the last family leaves at 6pm, I don't want to hear another cry or fix another bottle, wipe another table, wash another dish or change another diaper.

I'm confused. Where is the joy and the satisfaction of it all?? The good thing is my ex-husband has agreed to continue to pay all of our bills and support us in lieu of child support, so the money that I make is mine. But I'm not even making enough money to do anything nice for myself or my boys. Raising them as a single mom, I don't make enough money to take a "break" from it all.

Somebody brought this dang Hand Foot and Mouth Disease up in my house a couple weeks ago, and I know it didn't come from my house or my boys because they were the last ones to get it. So I had to close down for 2 days last week and nurse my boys back to health. The parents received a credit this week since I had to close, and I ended up losing 1 family behind the virus, and another family still has their child out with it. So I'm pretty much back to square 1 again.

How long does it take before I start seeing some real money? At the end of the week after buying food and supplies, I only have about $100 left. I'm not even making enough money to invest back into the business. Is it supposed to be this stressful??? I need some serious guidance please! I dunno if I'm overreacting or what. Do I need more patience? (That is a weakness of mine). I feel like I don't want to shut it down, bcuz people say I quit at everything (another weakness). But if something isn't working, then why keep at it? Do I need to close and revamp my business and get a whole new crew of children in here? I'm lost.
I have no advice, unfortunately, but want you to know that I stand in solidarity with you. I am just as baffled by all the things you mentioned above. I had to deal with my sons anemia due to too many viruses coming in that impacted his health so bad, all because parents lie about their child's illness'. I have lost 75% of my income because I refuse to care for sick children, I don't have enough toys(which is ludicrous, my whole house is packed to the gills it drives me crazy) and I'm too expensive.

Luckily for you, it sounds like you have some support. I don't so I am in the process of looking for a other job. This was supposed to support me and my son while I was in school because, I can't afford daycare(oh the irony) and I wanted to raise my son until he was old enough for school( this society just doesn't allow for that...again, the irony).

I feel for you, I really do! I feel chewed up and spit out!
nannyde 02:15 PM 09-21-2016
Okay start here: https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/inte...nyde-style.htm

Then do part two: https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/category/interview-2

That will help you learn how to interview and get the better behaved parents.

Then read the first two blogs of this: https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/

They are excerpts of the book on parent behavior.

If they are helpful you can get the book on Amazon Kindle for 9.99.

https://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whisp...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

This will cover pretty much every kind of parental behavior. I didn't cover helicopter parents because I haven't had one but other than that... most parental behavior is covered.

There are other blogs for free that discuss policies and how to enforce them.

Look... this job is HARD. It's supposed to be. You are a fresh newbie and it, like any other job of value, is HARD to learn in the beginning. Think of it as learning a foreign language... for real.

You have to learn your craft and make your mistakes like we all have.

Another HUGE tip is to devour the archives here. Go through every post from as far back as you can get and read the ones with ten or more responses. Read the entire thread then move to the next one.

I don't know how far back Michael has the archives now but when I came hanging around in 2008 I spent hundreds of hours pouring over the archives before I joined in 2010. I do this with every daycare board I can find. Back in those days there were more that actually supported their archives so I could read them. I didn't join any board until I read the entire archives. With two littles of your own you won't have the time to read them ALL so start with the bigger threads and move your way forward to the present.

This site is the best for learning how to do daycare. You have to teach yourself how and reading how others handle issues is imperative to getting your own style hammered down.

Once you find posters that you enjoy reading then search their posts exclusively. I recommend Cathearder , Blackcat and Crystal for starters. They are my go to's.

Do the work.... it's not supposed to be easy... and it aint.
Blackcat31 03:04 PM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by nannyde:

This will cover pretty much every kind of parental behavior. I didn't cover helicopter parents because I haven't had one but other than that... most parental behavior is covered.

Look... this job is HARD. It's supposed to be. You are a fresh newbie and it, like any other job of value, is HARD to learn in the beginning. Think of it as learning a foreign language... for real.

Another HUGE tip is to devour the archives here. Go through every post from as far back as you can get and read the ones with ten or more responses. Read the entire thread then move to the next one.

I don't know how far back Michael has the archives now but when I came hanging around in 2008 I spent hundreds of hours pouring over the archives before I joined in 2010. I do this with every daycare board I can find. Back in those days there were more that actually supported their archives so I could read them. I didn't join any board until I read the entire archives. With two littles of your own you won't have the time to read them ALL so start with the bigger threads and move your way forward to the present.

This site is the best for learning how to do daycare. You have to teach yourself how and reading how others handle issues is imperative to getting your own style hammered down.

Once you find posters that you enjoy reading then search their posts exclusively. I recommend Cathearder , Blackcat and Crystal for starters. They are my go to's.

Well said!

I have been in this business for over 2.5 decades.
I am good at what I do but I FULLY believe that I am good at this because of the experiences I had the first 3-5 years. After that, the rest is simply fine tuning.

I believe all providers should have to endure a multitude of negative experiences before feeling comfortable in their role of business owner. I think it's the same for most jobs/professions.

It's impossible for someone to just give you the rules and simply say you now have the magic potion to never having issues again.... the real magic potion isn't in the answers it's in the experience.

Oh, and for what it's worth I didn't actually turn a profit in this business until I was probably in my 3rd year.
daycare 03:40 PM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Well said!

I am good at what I do but I FULLY believe that I am good at this because of the experiences I had the first 3-5 years. After that, the rest is simply fine tuning.

I believe all providers should have to endure a multitude of negative experiences before feeling comfortable in their role of business owner. I think it's the same for most jobs/professions.

It's impossible for someone to just give you the rules and simply say you now have the magic potion to never having issues again.... the real magic potion isn't in the answers it's in the experience.

Oh, and for what it's worth I didn't actually turn a profit in this business until I was probably in my 3rd year.
I love the words you posted..

this is sooooooo true
Mike 05:23 PM 09-21-2016

I joined the forum 2.5 years ago, but first came here about a year before that. I was researching the idea of going into this business and my Internet searches brought me here a few times, so I just started browsing the threads reading any topic that sounded like I should read it. A year later, I joined and have learned a lot here.

I'm still not certain of my future plans, but am planning to either do occasional off hours (evening/weekend) care in the next month or 2, or waiting till spring and going full days. Either way, I feel I'm ready for it now, because with many years of business experience, a lot of research in the field of child care, and what I've learned from here, I think I'm ready to handle almost anything, plus, if something comes up that I don't know how to handle, I'll just ask here.

Like several others said, it sounds like you need to step back and look over everything. A lot of people go into a business, of any kind, and don't handle finances the best way, and end up closing. Maybe even have someone else go over your finances and see if they see a problem.
Ariana 05:40 PM 09-21-2016
Lots of great advice so I don't have much else to add except that these parents are not like you and they might not care about their kids as much as you care about yours. That has been the biggest lesson for me. Doesn't make them bad parents per se but most parents I have dealt with are doing what is best for them not their children. The faster you realize this the easier your job gets. I used to pull my hair out wondering why these parents weren't "getting it". Would go out of my way to give advice to help them and all along they didn't want it. They just wanted to complain. Now I barely have a relationship with my clients. I take their kids and their money and that is the end of it.

Sounds harsh but it has helped me tremendously in being a better business woman. Don't take anything personally!
Mike 06:21 PM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Lots of great advice so I don't have much else to add except that these parents are not like you and they might not care about their kids as much as you care about yours. That has been the biggest lesson for me. Doesn't make them bad parents per se but most parents I have dealt with are doing what is best for them not their children. The faster you realize this the easier your job gets. I used to pull my hair out wondering why these parents weren't "getting it". Would go out of my way to give advice to help them and all along they didn't want it. They just wanted to complain. Now I barely have a relationship with my clients. I take their kids and their money and that is the end of it.

Sounds harsh but it has helped me tremendously in being a better business woman. Don't take anything personally!
Very good point.
childcaremom 01:23 AM 09-22-2016

I would add Nannyde's to the list

I remember reading some of the ways providers handle things and thinking woah, I could never do that. Yeah, I can. And I do. This site helped me grow an awesome backbone and develop a great business sense.
childcaremom 01:26 AM 09-22-2016
Well said!

There is a story/daycare family behind each and every one of my policies. All the issues I had were ways to show me what I was and was not willing to deal with in this business. Once I realized what those were, and set my boundaries of what I felt my job was, I started to really enjoy this business.
DestinyAja 04:05 PM 09-22-2016
Wow! You all this is sooooo sooooooo awesome!!! This advice has already changed my perspective tremendously. It feels good to know I'm not alone and that these issues can be overcome. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you ALL!!!
Blackcat31 07:04 PM 09-22-2016
Wow! You all this is sooooo sooooooo awesome!!! This advice has already changed my perspective tremendously. It feels good to know I'm not alone and that these issues can be overcome. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you ALL!!!
Just keep moving along one day at a time... it's a process not a task. keep hanging out here and talking, posting, sharing and learning.

We're all doing the same.. but are at different stages. It is constantly revolving. I've seen providers learn and grow from newbies to experienced during my time here (myself included).
knoxmomof2 05:20 PM 09-23-2016
I've been doing this for 4 years. I homeschooled my own 2 and did caregiving for Seniors overnight. My DH's schedule became unpredictable and I had to find an alternative. This was it. I started with 1 child coming full-time every other week and part-time on the opposite weeks. It took me until a year later to be comfortable enough to add a 2nd. I can have up to 4 in my state without needing to be licensed and I have been at capacity for over a year now.

The best learned lessons are the least comfortable ones. My DH has a great business sense and he would have so much advice for my issues, but I'm stubborn and have to really get hurt before I quit thinking with my heart and start thinking with my head. Enforce your payment policy! No pay= no stay. Realize that these clients are going to protect themselves first... And you have to do the same!

These posts have empowered me to take control of my business - I stared down 2 very controlling Dcms who have ran my life for the last few years and I said "this is the new policy, if it doesn't fit your family, I understand if you need to find a new care provider". I'm not rolling in money, but I'm over it. I'm ready to be my own boss and stop worrying about people who don't worry about me. I will interview with the understanding that I am a partner with them in regards to their child, but I am my own boss. If that scares them away, it wouldn't have worked out anyway ☺️ You just have to get mad enough! Lol...
LysesKids 06:56 PM 09-23-2016
Originally Posted by knoxmomof2:
I've been doing this for 4 years. I homeschooled my own 2 and did caregiving for Seniors overnight. My DH's schedule became unpredictable and I had to find an alternative. This was it. I started with 1 child coming full-time every other week and part-time on the opposite weeks. It took me until a year later to be comfortable enough to add a 2nd. I can have up to 4 in my state without needing to be licensed and I have been at capacity for over a year now.

The best learned lessons are the least comfortable ones. My DH has a great business sense and he would have so much advice for my issues, but I'm stubborn and have to really get hurt before I quit thinking with my heart and start thinking with my head. Enforce your payment policy! No pay= no stay. Realize that these clients are going to protect themselves first... And you have to do the same!

These posts have empowered me to take control of my business - I stared down 2 very controlling Dcms who have ran my life for the last few years and I said "this is the new policy, if it doesn't fit your family, I understand if you need to find a new care provider". I'm not rolling in money, but I'm over it. I'm ready to be my own boss and stop worrying about people who don't worry about me. I will interview with the understanding that I am a partner with them in regards to their child, but I am my own boss. If that scares them away, it wouldn't have worked out anyway ☺️ You just have to get mad enough! Lol...
I am right there with you... just out of curiosity do you have an opening for JAN 2017... I am aging out 2 kids (one will be 20 months by Christmas, the other 21 months) & both parents looking for 7-5 scenario; they pay by the month on the first, no issues... they are excellent about illness policies too lol. Both drive 25-30 minutes to get to me daily; I know you are within 15-20 minutes of me, so I'm hoping... one actually lives in Knox - the other works there. PM if you need more info
Unregistered 07:16 AM 09-28-2016
I haven't read all the the posts but here are some quick thoughts. Many of you charge wayyyyy too low.

I charge center rates. $200 that is for 9 hrs. Will add 1 additional hr for $4 additional a week. I don't have 12 hr days. I have 10 holidays and 10 vacations days a year. I do NOT give free weeks off for vacation to my parents or discounts for maternity leave or teachers.

I only take 0-24 months, a tighter age range leaves you less worn out trying to feed a baby then teach preschool to a 4 yr old. Also safer for the babies, less liability and risk for accidents.

Babies need less is kid stuff, food, craft supplies etc. Plus they are quieter and not as mobile so they don't destroy your house or require you to spend as long cleaning it at the end of the day.

I am upfront about how I am choosing my parents as much as they choose me and I give a two week trial period. I also put my foot down on schedules. Charge late fees.

I put a lot of information on my website. I feed organic, non GMO, non toxic cleaning supplies, quiet chill environment, and plenty of outside time.

With 4 kids I don't need an assistant. I bill my clients through Paypal and don't take cash. Hits my account instantly and plenty of automatic features that make it one less thing I have to do.

Again the list goes on but those are my main things I do. 4 yrs of doing this previously I put my foot down this time. I was maxed out within 10 days of opening. Just used the FB neighborhood page and FB advertising this time. Almost free.

I will say also I am trained to take special needs kids and I do. I Have a Bachelors, and have been a former special needs foster parent. These parents are willing to pay for quality.

Oh I also have a strict sick policy. No runny noses here so far. I am big on hand washing, toys sanitizing, fresh air and sunlight with healthy food. Kids are healthier that way.

Again it is hands down a business, more than taking care of kids. Kids are just the perk oh and working from home. Go take a local small business class at the community college. Learn a bit of marketing, how to sell, do finances, set boundaries etc.

Finally running a business is not for everyone and that is ok. Nothing wrong with realizing it isn't your thing and you want to go work for someone and get a regular paycheck.

Sorry for potential typos babies up, got to go. Good luck with everything guys.
Pestle 08:36 AM 09-28-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I haven't read all the the posts but here are some quick thoughts. Many of you charge wayyyyy too low.

I charge center rates. $200 that is for 9 hrs.
Many of you charge wayyyyy too low.

I charge center rates. $200 that is for 9 hrs.
Please remember that we're all working in different regions. My daughter is at an elite private school with early drop-off and late pick-up and you are charging as much as that school does. Contrast that with the region I moved here from, where center rates are more like $1600+/month and my daughter's in-home care cost more than yours does.
Blackcat31 08:47 AM 09-28-2016
That is really an unfair and untrue statement.

A provider can charge whatever she/he wants but that doesn't mean families will pay it or can afford to pay it.

Child care is in HIGH demand where I live and parents post daily on search sites looking for child care spaces.

Many child care providers (mostly newer ones but some veteran providers) post daily looking to fill empty vacancies in their child care's.

The problem? The rates charged are beyond what any family can pay so BOTH consumer and supplier have vacancies and unfulfilled needs.

HOW much you charge isn't the key to staying in business at all and honestly has very little to do with it....

What has EVERYTHING to do with it is knowing what the community wants/needs and how you as a business can meet those needs.

The things you listed as perks to your program mean something ONLY to those seeking those things.

Parents in your area may be willing to pay for what they feel is quality but quality means something different to everyone.

Parents are only willing to pay what they can reasonably afford and pay for only those things they value or those things that fit their needs.
MunchkinWrangler 11:18 AM 09-28-2016

I charge center rates. $200 that is for 9 hrs. Will add 1 additional hr for $4 additional a week. I don't have 12 hr days. I have 10 holidays and 10 vacations days a year. I do NOT give free weeks off for vacation to my parents or discounts for maternity leave or teachers.

I only take 0-24 months, a tighter age range leaves you less worn out trying to feed a baby then teach preschool to a 4 yr old. Also safer for the babies, less liability and risk for accidents.

Babies need less is kid stuff, food, craft supplies etc. Plus they are quieter and not as mobile so they don't destroy your house or require you to spend as long cleaning it at the end of the day.

I am upfront about how I am choosing my parents as much as they choose me and I give a two week trial period. I also put my foot down on schedules. Charge late fees.

I put a lot of information on my website. I feed organic, non GMO, non toxic cleaning supplies, quiet chill environment, and plenty of outside time.

With 4 kids I don't need an assistant. I bill my clients through Paypal and don't take cash. Hits my account instantly and plenty of automatic features that make it one less thing I have to do.

Again the list goes on but those are my main things I do. 4 yrs of doing this previously I put my foot down this time. I was maxed out within 10 days of opening. Just used the FB neighborhood page and FB advertising this time. Almost free.

I will say also I am trained to take special needs kids and I do. I Have a Bachelors, and have been a former special needs foster parent. These parents are willing to pay for quality.

Oh I also have a strict sick policy. No runny noses here so far. I am big on hand washing, toys sanitizing, fresh air and sunlight with healthy food. Kids are healthier that way.

Again it is hands down a business, more than taking care of kids. Kids are just the perk oh and working from home. Go take a local small business class at the community college. Learn a bit of marketing, how to sell, do finances, set boundaries etc.

Finally running a business is not for everyone and that is ok. Nothing wrong with realizing it isn't your thing and you want to go work for someone and get a regular paycheck.

Sorry for potential typos babies up, got to go. Good luck with everything guys.
Please remember that everyone has to charge the right rate for their area. If they don't they won't get business.

I know you didn't read all the posts but I systematically don't make my rates public on here because they are actually higher than yours.

Not trying to be snarky but I think the group of us that do charge higher because we have to because of cost of living or that is what daycare is going for in our areas, are quiet about it because it's bad to talk about money, especially more of it.
Blackcat31 11:27 AM 09-28-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
Please remember that everyone has to charge the right rate for their area. If they don't they won't get business.

I know you didn't read all the posts but I systematically don't make my rates public on here because they are actually higher than yours.

Not trying to be snarky but I think the group of us that do charge higher because we have to because of cost of living or that is what daycare is going for in our areas, are quiet about it because it's bad to talk about money, especially more of it.
What?

I have zero issues talking about money. Why is it bad to talk about money? It's more than likely the #1 motivator or deterrent in regards to why providers do what they do. Both negative and positive.

Providers put up with badly behaving parents and/or children for the money.
Parents seek care based on how much or how little care costs.
Provider's have fees for those times in which clients don't follow policies.

It's ALL about money. I might love my job and I like/love my daycare kids and families but I won't lie and say I would still be here if it weren't for the money.

It's not bad or wrong to talk about money and as a matter of fact I think if more providers did talk about money, more clients (as well as the general public) would stop thinking of this profession as one based on love. verses the pay check.

When my mortgage is due, I pay it with money. For some reason, they don't accept love.
Ariana 11:36 AM 09-28-2016
What?

I have zero issues talking about money. Why is it bad to talk about money? It's more than likely the #1 motivator or deterrent in regards to why providers do what they do. Both negative and positive.

It's ALL about money. I might love my job and I like/love my daycare kids and families but I won't lie and say I would still be here if it weren't for the money.

It's not bad or wrong to talk about money and as a matter of fact I think if more providers did talk about money, more clients (as well as the general public) would stop thinking of this profession as one based on love. verses the pay check.

When my mortgage is due, I pay it with money. For some reason, they don't accept love.

MunchkinWrangler 11:44 AM 09-28-2016
What?

Hahaha, I guess I mean it in a sense of judging someone because of it. Like, that their business isn't doing well because of it. We all know this profession needs money to make money.

I'm in school so I can roll in dough without the expenses. Not to mention the benefits packages that come along as a perk of the job.

I love money, I charge a lot of it. When people blanch at my prices I remind them that not only are my bills are the same as them but I have extra little ones to take care of.
Blackcat31 11:53 AM 09-28-2016
Hahaha, I guess I mean it in a sense of judging someone because of it.
True!

I love money, I charge a lot of it. When people blanch at my prices I remind them that not only are my bills are the same as them but I have extra little ones to take care of.

MunchkinWrangler 12:03 PM 09-28-2016
True!

And I do wish The Beatles hadn't have lied to all of us about love!!!!
Ariana 12:41 PM 09-29-2016
And I do wish The Beatles hadn't have lied to all of us about love!!!!

Tags:backbone - not, daycare experiences, income, nannyde, partial payment
Reply Up