Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>E Coli
Jdy2222 02:05 PM 08-30-2018
Just had a parent inform me their child has been diagnosed with e coli.

He's had diarrhea for two weeks or so, been to the doctor numerous times and was told he's fine, it'll run it's course. Mom finally insisted on further testing last weekend and got diagnosis today.

So he's already been in care with it. I called licensing to see what to do but it's after 5:00 and I can't find any other contact numbers. What is standard in this situation?
MarinaVanessa 02:17 PM 08-30-2018
As long as e coli bacteria are present in the stool, a person can spread the germs on to other people. In most children, the bacteria can be found in the stool for 2 to 3 weeks after the start of symptoms, in a small number of children, it can be present for 2-3 months after symptoms have stopped. The stool would have to be tested to tell if it's present or not.

Typically if the stool is tested and the result is negative the child can return to daycare.

EDIT: I should add that the only way to spread it is if the feces is spread so if you change a diaper and don't wash your hands properly or if the child has contaminated hands and touches things then other children touch it. You can prevent the spreading with good hand washing routines before/after toileting and diapering.
Jdy2222 02:27 PM 08-30-2018
I've told Mom child is excluded until he has two negative stool samples, and have told the other parents just in case. Thankfully, I guess, I'm a hand washing fanatic.
Jo123ABC 12:06 PM 08-31-2018
I always ask my pediatrician or first district health for advice in health situations I'm unsure of. I would probably want to exclude as well because frankly, keeping little kids from spreading anything including poop (unfortunately) can be difficult and I don't like the risk to my own kids let alone everyone else in my care. Parents get mad about it all the time though of course.
LysesKids 12:23 PM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by Jo123ABC:
I always ask my pediatrician or first district health for advice in health situations I'm unsure of. I would probably want to exclude as well because frankly, keeping little kids from spreading anything including poop (unfortunately) can be difficult and I don't like the risk to my own kids let alone everyone else in my care. Parents get mad about it all the time though of course.
We had a serious case go thru here recently... one from a farm, the other was an actual daycare center that didn't close when Health dept required - sucked to have same strain in 2 different places at the same time, but were within 10 minutes of each other... I personally would exclude until I got at least 1 if not 2 clear tests as some of these kids (all under 6 mind you) were so ill it required hospitalization for weeks
Jdy2222 02:39 PM 08-31-2018
After many phone calls to DCF, the state health department, and finally to the county health department I've learned a bit.

The e. coli this child has is not the "bad" e. coli ... so as soon as his bowels return to normal he's able to come back - no need for follow up samples.

Whew.
Ariana 03:31 PM 08-31-2018
This is why I exclude for diarrhea. You never know and I don’t want to be exposed to it. It is a very dangerous bacteria.
LysesKids 05:09 PM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by Jdy2222:
After many phone calls to DCF, the state health department, and finally to the county health department I've learned a bit.

The e. coli this child has is not the "bad" e. coli ... so as soon as his bowels return to normal he's able to come back - no need for follow up samples.

Whew.
There are different strains but none are good to my knowledge; maybe less deadly. The strain that went thru here recently, kept numerous kids in the hospital for weeks & a few almost died from kidney issues
LittleScholars 09:16 AM 09-04-2018
Originally Posted by Jdy2222:

Whew.
I went through this exact situation and was told the same thing. It ended up being totally fine and no one else got it. Their best guess was that it was from stagnant water the child had been drinking while camping. Just in case that helps ease your mind!
daycarediva 11:19 AM 09-04-2018
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
There are different strains but none are good to my knowledge; maybe less deadly. The strain that went thru here recently, kept numerous kids in the hospital for weeks & a few almost died from kidney issues
Ecoli 0157H7 is the deadly kind. It causes HUS/hemolytic uremic syndrome and can cause TTP.

Almost lost my own kid to it, it's scary stuff.
Tags:e. coli
Reply Up