Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Daycare.com Member

Smile Tax Questions for Future Reference

Hi,
I just moved to Kansas and I am in the process of becoming a registered child care provider. I have sent in the paperwork and after it is processed I will have to pass the fire safety and then I will be registered. I am taking care of a couple kids already though... so my question is, are the things I'm buying such as; food, kleenexes, wipes, part of electric/water/rent, printer/ink, toys, etc. tax deductable since I'm not technically a business while I've been buying these things? Also, do you guys know of any other things that are tax deductable that maybe aren't as noticeable?
Thanks!
Old 03-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Family Childcare Home

Anything that you buy this year in 2010 can be considered a tax deductible for next years taxes even though you aren't registered yet. If it's for your DC kids then keep your receipts. You may not be able to deduct everything however if you share the supplies with your household. If you share supplies (TP, napkins, cleaning supplies, utility bills etc) then you figure out your time/space percentage and that's the percentage you can deduct from those supplies. If you don't have kids of your own toys and crayons and such can be 100% deductible only because you are not shaing them with your own kids.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Daycare.com Member

I even deduct my gas to and from the grocery and library....among any other places I have to go for the daycare. You just have to keep track of your mileage.

Tags
deductible, taxes