Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Logged Out For Privacy Because...
Unregistered 12:26 PM 05-10-2014
I am pagan and would like to vent. I've been in childcare for almost 12 years, I've been a teacher, director, owner, home provider (currently) and I am in the broom closet (A term used by witches to indicate they are not "out"). And it gets frustrating. I love who I am. My spirituality is quite beautiful. The earth is sacred, all life springs forth from her, God is not found in a church, God is in every person, animal, plant, stream, in every aspect of nature. So I'm a nature worshiper. It's a very peaceful religion. But try saying to a client who inquires about your religious beliefs, oh I'm a witch, and watch how fast she bolts for the door. It breaks my heart....
Modern day witches are/do NOT:
Evil, devil worshipers, make blood sacrifices unless it's their own, put hexes on others, use magick for ill will, invade dreams of their enemies, have orgies in the woods, etc.
Modern day witches ARE:
Peaceful, giving, in tune with nature, uses magick for the betterment and protection of their families and the planet, sees God in all living things.
And, even though I would never do something to intentionally hurt someone else, most witches WON'T because we believe in the law of 3. What we send out into the world, we will get back threefold.
It just makes me sad that I have to remain in the proverbial broom closet because potential, or even current, clients wouldn't even attempt tolerance or try to understand. So when I'm asked what my religious preferences are, I grudgingly say that I'm christian.
I'm sure the majority of you reading this will also be taken aback and instantly feel the urge to disassociate with me (which is why I logged out), but think of it this way. 70 years ago, white women would've felt that way about black women. 20 years ago, straight people would've felt this way about gay people (some still do). Society is slowly evolving, but I don't think it will happen in my lifetime that my religion will be as openly accepted as Christians or Jews or Islamics or Buddhists. And I'm here to tell you, pagans, witches in particular, are all around us. There's millions of us. But we're too afraid to tell you. And we're definitely too afraid to come out of it if it means we won't be able to make a living anymore because no one wants their children to be taken care of by a witch. So in the broom closet I stay.
SignMeUp 12:30 PM 05-10-2014
Would it feel more truthful to you if you said something like this:
"Oh, I'm really more spiritual than religious, if you know what I mean."?
Unregistered 12:36 PM 05-10-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
Would it feel more truthful to you if you said something like this:
"Oh, I'm really more spiritual than religious, if you know what I mean."?
This is what I usually go with, especially if they're asking what church i attend. For me, church is all around us, not one particular building. But I can't really say that either because it would just encourage more questions. So I think by saying I'm more spiritual than religious, they just think I'm a lazy christian who doesn't go to church. Lol.
snbauser 12:40 PM 05-10-2014
Honestly, unless religion/spirituality/etc is part of what you teach as part of your daycare, I don't think it is anyone's business. I would never ask a parent what their religion was and would be taken aback if they asked me and it would immediately turn me off from taking them as a client. And that's coming from someone who lives in the "bible belt"
spud912 12:41 PM 05-10-2014
Sorry if this comes out wrong....but I am not sure why it would be brought up to potential or current clients in the first place. I have never been asked what my religious beliefs are, but it's really none of their business unless it is a part of the child care I provide.
Unregistered 12:45 PM 05-10-2014
It's not part of my program. I don't push my views onto anyone and I wouldn't expect them to do that to me. My vent is that I have to stay hidden and that gets very lonely. There's not much I can do about it though.
Mom of 4 12:46 PM 05-10-2014
I only was asked when I had the names "PRECIOUS ANGELS" everyone thought I taught religious things. Actually, it turned people AWAY. So I changed my name to "Just Like Home" and got more calls.

I would never ask someone what they worshipped unless I expected to have my kids taught a particular curriculum. (So if I preferred Christian care, I'd make sure to find out if the person was Christian).

FYI: I have PLENTY of pagan friends, and they've made WAY better friends than some of the Christian ones.
debbiedoeszip 12:49 PM 05-10-2014
I am a former atheist, now spiritual in a pantheist kind of way (I have many friends who are pagan, btw). TBH, I would probably would have responded that my religious beliefs, or lack of them, have no bearing on the childcare I provide, and that I provide a secular daycare program (true for me).

I don't discuss religion or my spirituality with anyone other than friends and family. I don't see the point. If they are asking about your religion, then they are likely only concerned about whether your daycare program includes religion (and, if so, which one). There are some daycare providers who do provide a certain amount of religious instruction, be it through discussion and activities, and/or through religion-based curriculum. If your program is secular, then tell exactly that and nothing more. Anything more is none of their business.
debbiedoeszip 12:53 PM 05-10-2014
Oh, and I get what you mean about being lonely. I live in a small town and the closest pagan gatherings and groups are hours away (I don't drive). I rely on message boards for pagan-related conversations.
SignMeUp 12:55 PM 05-10-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This is what I usually go with, especially if they're asking what church i attend. For me, church is all around us, not one particular building. But I can't really say that either because it would just encourage more questions. So I think by saying I'm more spiritual than religious, they just think I'm a lazy christian who doesn't go to church. Lol.
I guess they can "think" what they want ... but if it felt truthful to say it that way, maybe you wouldn't feel like you were hiding.
Just looking for a way to make it better
I know in some communities, it's almost impossible not to declare yourself as something-or-other.
Sugar Magnolia 12:57 PM 05-10-2014
Tough situation. My very first thought was one of terminology. Are you very attached to the word "witch"? Isn't there a better term for your beliefs? Like Naturalist or just "I'm a spiritually oriented person"? I'm not trying to simplify the problem, I understand your involves issues deeper than semantics.

I don't think it's anybody's business but your own. I have never been asked that question. I imagine I would decline to answer, as I'm not a practicing anything. I'm not sure I would even want clients that asked such personal questions. I couldn't imagine a client asking something like "Have you ever co habituated out of wedlock or been divorced or a failed relationship?" No. It's a none-of-your-business type question.

I certainly don't judge you for those very peaceful beliefs. I would love to have you watch my children if I loved your program and daycare environment. I live in a pretty secular community, but not all parts of the country are like that.

Did someone ask you this recently? Don't reply "Christian" if you don't want to. Don't reply. But if you feel like you could and should state your true religious orientation, must the word witch be used? If the word is important to you, use it and be ready to explain it just as you explained it here.

Best wishes! It's complex, I hope you get the answers you seek.

SignMeUp 12:58 PM 05-10-2014
Originally Posted by debbiedoeszip:

If they are asking about your religion, then they are likely only concerned about whether your daycare program includes religion (and, if so, which one). ... If your program is secular, then tell exactly that and nothing more. Anything more is none of their business.
Yes, so what I was thinking was to come up with a set phrase or phrases that feel truthful to you, without revealing anything, because you don't have to
And then do like you do with little kids: Repeat the phrase, as necessary, until they understand it
Leanna 01:10 PM 05-10-2014
I've never been asked what religion/what church/about personal beliefs by a potential or even current client. Though I identify as Christian, I don't belong to any one particular church or necessarily believe in/participate in all traditional aspects of any religion.

I believe that being respectful of people's personal/spiritual/religious beliefs is extremely important. Though I am personally (non-denominational) Christian I have enrolled families that are Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, atheist, and Catholic. Because I don't include religious teachings in my program, I've never had a problem.

Sometimes it is helpful to have a prepared answer when you are asked a personal question (especially one that is this personal, private, and I think, depending on the way it is ask, a little invasive and unnecessary) is to have a statement prepared and ready to go so you don't feel put n the spot.

I like what SignMeUp said "Actually I am more spiritual than religious."
I would then follow with "Our program is welcoming of families of all beliefs. I believe in teaching children to respect all individuals" with a BIG SMILE.
Unregistered 01:20 PM 05-10-2014
Originally Posted by Leanna:
I've never been asked what religion/what church/about personal beliefs by a potential or even current client. Though I identify as Christian, I don't belong to any one particular church or necessarily believe in/participate in all traditional aspects of any religion.

I believe that being respectful of people's personal/spiritual/religious beliefs is extremely important. Though I am personally (non-denominational) Christian I have enrolled families that are Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, atheist, and Catholic. Because I don't include religious teachings in my program, I've never had a problem.

Sometimes it is helpful to have a prepared answer when you are asked a personal question (especially one that is this personal, private, and I think, depending on the way it is ask, a little invasive and unnecessary) is to have a statement prepared and ready to go so you don't feel put n the spot.

I like what SignMeUp said "Actually I am more spiritual than religious."
I would then follow with "Our program is welcoming of families of all beliefs. I believe in teaching children to respect all individuals" with a BIG SMILE.
I like this!
SignMeUp 01:22 PM 05-10-2014
I like this!

Unregistered 01:24 PM 05-10-2014
You guys are so understanding and open minded. Why can't everyone be this way? I also live in the Bible belt, making it kind of difficult to find anyone who isn't christian. Not that I'm seeking non christian families. Just saying that there isn't much diversity here as far as religion goes.
Laurel 01:33 PM 05-10-2014
I am pagan and would like to vent. I've been in childcare for almost 12 years, I've been a teacher, director, owner, home provider (currently) and I am in the broom closet (A term used by witches to indicate they are not "out"). And it gets frustrating. I love who I am. My spirituality is quite beautiful. The earth is sacred, all life springs forth from her, God is not found in a church, God is in every person, animal, plant, stream, in every aspect of nature. So I'm a nature worshiper. It's a very peaceful religion. But try saying to a client who inquires about your religious beliefs, oh I'm a witch, and watch how fast she bolts for the door. It breaks my heart....
Evil, devil worshipers, make blood sacrifices unless it's their own, put hexes on others, use magick for ill will, invade dreams of their enemies, have orgies in the woods, etc.
Modern day witches ARE:
Peaceful, giving, in tune with nature, uses magick for the betterment and protection of their families and the planet, sees God in all living things.
And, even though I would never do something to intentionally hurt someone else, most witches WON'T because we believe in the law of 3. What we send out into the world, we will get back threefold.
It just makes me sad that I have to remain in the proverbial broom closet because potential, or even current, clients wouldn't even attempt tolerance or try to understand. So when I'm asked what my religious preferences are, I grudgingly say that I'm christian.
I'm sure the majority of you reading this will also be taken aback and instantly feel the urge to disassociate with me (which is why I logged out), but think of it this way. 70 years ago, white women would've felt that way about black women. 20 years ago, straight people would've felt this way about gay people (some still do). Society is slowly evolving, but I don't think it will happen in my lifetime that my religion will be as openly accepted as Christians or Jews or Islamics or Buddhists. And I'm here to tell you, pagans, witches in particular, are all around us. There's millions of us. But we're too afraid to tell you. And we're definitely too afraid to come out of it if it means we won't be able to make a living anymore because no one wants their children to be taken care of by a witch. So in the broom closet I stay.
I find it totally weird that someone would even ask. I am an atheist and have been a provider for 20 years and no one has ever asked. I have never asked any of my clients their beliefs either.

My daughter is a Wiccan. I've gone to a few of her gatherings with her and it is so peaceful and hippy like. BUT, I told her that if she doesn't want any attention then don't use the word witch to outsiders. I mean, come on, it has a negative connotation in our society like it or not. Unless she is willing to educate each person then she just can't expect people to be okay with it and feel slighted if they aren't. She doesn't feel that way but just saying....

If a parent would ask me my religion or beliefs, I would say "Why do you ask?" That usually shuts people up about almost any awkward question. Or "Why is it important for you to know that?"

I would never, ever say that I was a Christian if I wasn't. If you don't want to say pagan (and I do understand that as I never mention I am an atheist because I have always said it might be bad for business) then either don't answer or think of something in advance that you would be comfortable with.

Laurel
Laurel 01:43 PM 05-10-2014
It's not part of my program. I don't push my views onto anyone and I wouldn't expect them to do that to me. My vent is that I have to stay hidden and that gets very lonely. There's not much I can do about it though.
In what ways is not telling your parents lonely? Just curious.

My daughter celebrates different holidays like Ostara (near Easter) and Yule (near Christmas). She puts up a tree at Yule (Yule tree).

I am an atheist as I mentioned and I just do the Christian holidays as I grew up with them. For two years (before grandchildren) I didn't and that was THE BEST. None of the hassles but then I wanted to for the grandchildren. Some years I put up a Christmas tree but didn't this year. Gave it to my son for his house.

So it is kind of a hodgepodge at our house. We just do what we feel like. My Wiccan daughter buys her son things with Santa Claus on them. It is just part of our culture.

Just wondering if holiday time is awkward for you.

Laurel
SignMeUp 01:46 PM 05-10-2014
You guys are so understanding and open minded. Why can't everyone be this way? I also live in the Bible belt, making it kind of difficult to find anyone who isn't christian. Not that I'm seeking non christian families. Just saying that there isn't much diversity here as far as religion goes.
It seems like the things that are closest to your heart are the things that it's hardest to figure out how to word, if that makes sense. Normally I don't struggle with appropriate wording, but every once in a while something hits so close to home that I just can't figure it out by myself.
That's why this site is so helpful For the most part, the providers seem to understand that there are many ways to do things, and that the important thing to do is to figure out which one is "correct" for you.
And working together helps too which apparently played a role here
debbiedoeszip 01:47 PM 05-10-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:
In what ways is not telling your parents lonely? Just curious.

My daughter celebrates different holidays like Ostara (near Easter) and Yule (near Christmas). She puts up a tree at Yule (Yule tree).

I am an atheist as I mentioned and I just do the Christian holidays as I grew up with them. For two years (before grandchildren) I didn't and that was THE BEST. None of the hassles but then I wanted to for the grandchildren. Some years I put up a Christmas tree but didn't this year. Gave it to my son for his house.

So it is kind of a hodgepodge at our house. We just do what we feel like. My Wiccan daughter buys her son things with Santa Claus on them. It is just part of our culture.

Just wondering if holiday time is awkward for you.

Laurel
Our celebrations are eclectic as well (Christian and Pagan). Any excuse to eat, drink, and be merry LOL.
LadyK8 01:56 PM 05-10-2014
I'm a Muslim, and don't include religious teachings in my program. However, I make it known in my advertising that my daycare is Muslim-owned, because of the holiday issue, and because I "wear" my religion and they'd know it as soon as they saw me, so I want to save them the trip. Mainly, I don't celebrate national holidays, and I like for the parents to know that my beliefs reflect in certain things that I DON'T do.

I'm sure many people have looked at my flyers, saw "Muslim-owned," and turned the other cheek, but I'd rather not have them as clients.

I'm sorry that this happens to you. Your spirituality has no bearings on the type of care that you offer, and this should be told to parents who may have a problem with it.

I wish you the best.
Laurel 02:02 PM 05-10-2014
Originally Posted by debbiedoeszip:
Our celebrations are eclectic as well (Christian and Pagan). Any excuse to eat, drink, and be merry LOL.
Exactly! My two closest friends are Christian and Jewish. The Jewish one does Christmas like I've never seen. She goes all out! She even takes off on Good Friday and my Christian provider friend and I don't. We are all providers. We think that is a hoot. Anything for a day off for her.

Laurel
Unregistered 02:29 PM 05-10-2014
When I say it gets lonely, I mean it sucks to have to keep it a secret when it's a very important part of my life. I have to hide any pagan knick knacks, can't wear my pentacle jewelry, can't have my pentacle wall hangings, without raising eyebrows. I guess I'm just frustrated that we as a society aren't "there yet". I refer to myself as a witch as does my family and friends, but I use the word pagan if it comes up with an acquaintance or someone I don't know well. And not at all with parents! So much punch in one tiny little word.... Witch is the traditional name, but I don't use it loosely because there are many places in this world where witches are still being burned at the stake. I see that mess on cnn and I'm sure my clients do too, so I would not use the word witch to describe myself to anyone unless they are a trusted friend or family member.
NoMoreJuice! 02:42 PM 05-10-2014
I have a daycare girl who is being raised Wiccan. She's 9, so really just starting to understand more about the cultural aspect of her religion. She has told children at her school that she's a witch, and she's been laughed at and taunted endlessly. They had to switch schools, and now she, like you, keeps it a secret.

I am of the age when we finally turned a corner in high school and stopped taunting gay people. When I was a sophomore, two guys in my class of 500 came out and were teased mercilessly (not by me, just in general). When I was a junior, 6 more students came out and we started to see how much happier they were. When I was a senior, we had a dozen or two students that had stopped hiding who they were, and even elected a great friend of mine our student body pres. He was the most popular guy in school! My point is, you could actually FEEL the change in the whole school, and it really paved the way for the lower classes to accept everyone for who they were.

(I know this is easier said than done, but) Maybe it's time for you to start paving the way. Especially if you are raising children in your faith...I would hate to start children out in life knowing that they had to hide a huge part of their life from the rest of the world. I hope you surround yourself with loving, accepting people, and let all others know that you are accepting of them as well.
KidGrind 03:34 PM 05-10-2014
Modern day witches ARE:
Modern day witches are just like everyone else. Some are wonderful and kind. Some are on the dark side.

Moving along, I do not discuss my beliefs with clients. Instead if religion comes up I share their children with be introduced to a variety of other religions through various books and holidays.

BTW, Jews, Christians, Muslims and others are NOT openly accepted in many places inside and outside of the United States. I know quite a few immigrants who received religious asylum.

Would I enrolled my child in the care of a witch? Yes, if she/he kept it to themselves. Would I enrolled my child in the care of a Christian? Yes, if she/he kept it to themselves. Would I enrolled my child in the care with an atheists? Yes, if she/he kept it to themselves?

When I type kept it to themselves, I mean do not beat me with your particular belief/worship system. If I enroll my child into your care, I am confident you can take excellent care of them & will act accordingly in their best interest for a fee. If I notice some ornament or religious symbol in your home leading to your religious beliefs, I don’t care. If I enroll my children in your home and it comes out in general conversation you’re a witch. I’ll shrug and keep bringing my kid and paying you accordingly.

I’ve dealt with a lot of witches, I’ll leave it at that.
Laurel 03:42 PM 05-10-2014
When I say it gets lonely, I mean it sucks to have to keep it a secret when it's a very important part of my life. I have to hide any pagan knick knacks, can't wear my pentacle jewelry, can't have my pentacle wall hangings, without raising eyebrows. I guess I'm just frustrated that we as a society aren't "there yet". I refer to myself as a witch as does my family and friends, but I use the word pagan if it comes up with an acquaintance or someone I don't know well. And not at all with parents! So much punch in one tiny little word.... Witch is the traditional name, but I don't use it loosely because there are many places in this world where witches are still being burned at the stake. I see that mess on cnn and I'm sure my clients do too, so I would not use the word witch to describe myself to anyone unless they are a trusted friend or family member.
Oh okay, I don't have things like symbols that I need to worry about but it does suck to not be able to speak your true feelings at certain times. I had a very negative reaction one time to the fact that I am an atheist (years ago and not related to daycare). It got worked out to everyone's satisfaction but it was a very bad feeling being shunned for a while by people who had previously seemed to like me. Luckily they came around with the help of someone else but yes it does suck.

I guess it just goes with the territory in being in the minority.

Laurel
Michael 04:37 PM 05-10-2014
Sorry, if I repeat anything here. I have not read all the posts.

The word Witch has a stigma attached to it. Many don't understand the naturalist witch or wicca. I don't think that is going to change soon but we are in a spiritual awakening phase that may change the misconceptions over time.

Just be proud of who you are. You can't change what people want to think (and its usually the worst). IMO, tell them what will put them at ease. Maybe after they get to know you better you can tell them.

At least we are no longer being persecuted or called heathens like in the times of the Inquisition.
cheerfuldom 10:56 PM 05-10-2014
I think you have received some very good responses already. Only you can decide how you feel comfortable answering questions but I think we can all agree that straight out lying "I am a Christian" is doing a great disservice to you emotionally. I would encourage you to find a way to deal with this without lying about who you are. Additionally, we ALL have issues about what we can and cannot do in our home because it doubles as a place of business. You are not alone in that situation. We may have hobbies, interests or religious affiliations that we are discreet about because it could be offensive to parents and we don't want our likes to be detrimental to our income. I say this because it seems like you are having mixed feelings about daycare affecting your home, what you wear and how you show your interests and that is something that most if not all of us can relate to. It comes out in so many ways for me too! I have gone to church services right after daycare and hesitated to answer when parents ask me "oh I see you are dressed up, where are you going?" It is HARD to juggle the fact that our home, our most sacred place, is regularly invaded by other people that feel free to comment on anything and everything but we are being paid to open our home as a business and it is important that you come to terms with that. Either you display your beliefs as you see fit and let the chips fall where they may or you remain discreet about your beliefs in effort to keep from offending or scaring off customers. But you can't have it both ways. It would be nice if we could all be who we are without fear of detriment to the business but that is not how life works.
Angelsj 06:20 AM 05-11-2014
I am openly Christian, and I would want my kids in a Christian environment, so I would ask. However, there are many of all religions, including yours, that do not care, as long as yours is not taught to their children. And some that don't care either way. There are also many who may be openly wishing for you to say what you believe, looking for that care.

If you don't want to discuss it, however, and you do not openly teach the children about your spirituality, I would just say so. "I run a secular child care program and we do not discuss ANY religion or spiritual ideas. I feel that is the parent's domain. If your child asks any questions along that line, I will pass that information to you, so you will be able to answer according to your beliefs."

PS, I know a lot of witches and respect your beliefs, so there is no reason to be "in the broom closet."
daycarediva 06:24 AM 05-11-2014
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Tough situation. My very first thought was one of terminology. Are you very attached to the word "witch"? Isn't there a better term for your beliefs? Like Naturalist or just "I'm a spiritually oriented person"? I'm not trying to simplify the problem, I understand your involves issues deeper than semantics.

I don't think it's anybody's business but your own. I have never been asked that question. I imagine I would decline to answer, as I'm not a practicing anything. I'm not sure I would even want clients that asked such personal questions. I couldn't imagine a client asking something like "Have you ever co habituated out of wedlock or been divorced or a failed relationship?" No. It's a none-of-your-business type question.

I certainly don't judge you for those very peaceful beliefs. I would love to have you watch my children if I loved your program and daycare environment. I live in a pretty secular community, but not all parts of the country are like that.

Did someone ask you this recently? Don't reply "Christian" if you don't want to. Don't reply. But if you feel like you could and should state your true religious orientation, must the word witch be used? If the word is important to you, use it and be ready to explain it just as you explained it here.

Best wishes! It's complex, I hope you get the answers you seek.

My husband is pagan, and when people ask he says he is 'spiritual, but not religious'. People give him a quizzical look and drop it.

I have been asked about my religious beliefs by a LOT of clients, I always just say that I am not religious and don't align with any particular faith. HTH!
Unregistered 04:49 PM 05-11-2014
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
I am openly Christian, and I would want my kids in a Christian environment, so I would ask. However, there are many of all religions, including yours, that do not care, as long as yours is not taught to their children. And some that don't care either way. There are also many who may be openly wishing for you to say what you believe, looking for that care.

If you don't want to discuss it, however, and you do not openly teach the children about your spirituality, I would just say so. "I run a secular child care program and we do not discuss ANY religion or spiritual ideas. I feel that is the parent's domain. If your child asks any questions along that line, I will pass that information to you, so you will be able to answer according to your beliefs."

PS, I know a lot of witches and respect your beliefs, so there is no reason to be "in the broom closet."
I like that! That's an excellent response!
Starburst 07:17 PM 05-11-2014
Personally, I would just tell them "I don't discuss politics or religion with my daycare parents" or share one of your beliefs rather than the 'label' of your religion "I'm not into labels, but I believe we are children of a loving creator/God", "I believe we each have the spirit of God within us", or even a neutral "I believe everyone is entitled to their own belief system".

I would still be cautious about saying your spiritual but not religious. Some Christians (the more conservative ones; certain denominations) even get flustered at the idea of being "spiritual" rather than "religious". They feel that all the new age and mystic stuff (yoga, meditation, horoscope, tarot, etc.) are products of devil worship.

Some of my friends in high school were Wiccans, some were Catholic/Christians and I even had some who were Buddhist, Seventh-Day Adventists, and atheists. I personally don't care what you are as long as you don't push your believes on others, don't spread hate/hateful words, and don't harm people or animals. Although I do admit, I'm not a fan of Scientology (sorry, if that offends anyone-and it doesn't mean I would shun or judge some who follows it).

But overall, I would just try to promote tolerance and diversity in your program and try to teach the children about different cultures; You can't change the past but you can always create a better future.
nothingwithoutjoy 07:36 PM 05-11-2014
Keep in mind that for family child care, you don't need that many families to be full. It's quite possible that there are that many families who would be thrilled to have a non-Christian provider in a very Christian area. I like a lot of the responses you've gotten here, and if it were me, I would choose your responses carefully, not worry about losing families who ask which church you attend (if they're asking that, they're probably not the families for you, anyway), and not "clean up" your house or jewelry. That way, you are still being true to yourself and don't have to feel like you're hiding. (This from someone who left another closet 20 years ago and is much happier for it!)
TickleMonster 07:00 AM 05-12-2014
I absolutely love this post and all the responses that have been given. For the past year, I have been studying pagan beliefs, most especially wicca and have found that it is the right path for me. Most, if not all, my daycare parents would probably leave if they knew this. We do have some decorations out now, (an altar if you will) and have left many books lying around in plain sight that have Wicca or Witchcraft on the cover. If any of it has been noticed, the parents are polite enough not to ask. Of course most of our families have been with us for a long time and trust us but if we were bringing in new families, that might be a different story. I laugh as I remember one interview we had over a year ago. It was a week before Halloween and we had all of our happy faced pumpkins and ghosts decorating the house and the mother informed me that she was very uncomfortable having her children in a house that looked like it was inhabited by devil worshippers! She said she was strictly Christian and if we celebrated such horrendous holidays around here, this daycare was not right for her. What a hoot! LOL And yes I have had many clients ask of my religion. Just tell them your spiritual and leave it at that. If they ask about your decorations or jewelry, just tell them the items are special and leave it at that. Maybe they are admiring the items and think they are pretty. Maybe they are secretly pagan themselves. And of course maybe they are all fired up to judge you. You cannot control how people will react. Just be yourself. Feel free to PM me if you would like!
Blackcat31 07:38 AM 05-12-2014
So when I'm asked what my religious preferences are, I grudgingly say that I'm christian.
Originally Posted by Mom of 4:
I only was asked when I had the names "PRECIOUS ANGELS" everyone thought I taught religious things. Actually, it turned people AWAY. So I changed my name to "Just Like Home" and got more calls.

I would never ask someone what they worshipped unless I expected to have my kids taught a particular curriculum. (So if I preferred Christian care, I'd make sure to find out if the person was Christian).

FYI: I have PLENTY of pagan friends, and they've made WAY better friends than some of the Christian ones.
Personally, I have NEVER in 20+ yrs been asked what religion I am.

I really do not care what religion a client is or isn't. I am accepting of all faiths or no faith...it makes NO difference to me as far as child care goes.

I don't ask, people don't ask me and it has never been something discussed.

However, I do want to add that I do have a few friends who are Pagans and I have to say that they have never been judgmental about anyone else's choices...I assume because they themselves don't want to be judged but for someone who is struggling with not feeling accepted, I have to say I find several of your comments judgmental.

I would think that someone who doesn't want to be judged would not be so judgmental about other religions.
Sereetta 07:55 AM 05-12-2014
I've never been asked what religion I am but people tend to know once they walk in because I have scriptures posted to help inspire me during the day.

Although its no one's business I have no problem answering the question. I've been Muslim and Christian and quite frankly if you don't care for either ( I have lost potential clients due to my religion) that's your business not mine. I will not be confined to anyones "issues"!
One thing I want to point out... You have made a conscious choice to be in the closet... So make the conscious choice to leave the closet. Tell people " I would rather not discuss that area of my life."
to you and I hope you feel liberated by confiding in us!
Unregistered 03:30 PM 05-12-2014
bible belt ...yes that would be hard ....your closet must be big
I live in harmony with nature and I am a home steader
I live off the land
I am pagan
I have much to be seen in and around my place to show just that
no one has ever questioned my religon
I am sure many have guessed
it doesnt come up ...so I dont bring it up
they see my place and they like what they see and leave their chiclren with me
I am a good person and that is what matters to the parents
Jack Sprat 03:49 PM 05-12-2014
Originally Posted by snbauser:
Honestly, unless religion/spirituality/etc is part of what you teach as part of your daycare, I don't think it is anyone's business. I would never ask a parent what their religion was and would be taken aback if they asked me and it would immediately turn me off from taking them as a client. And that's coming from someone who lives in the "bible belt"

NightOwl 06:58 PM 05-12-2014
Ok. You guys have inspired me to come out of the broom closet. At least, on the forum! Baby steps, right? I am the original Unregistered poster of this thread. Your understanding and advice have been PRICELESS. Thanks so much!
nothingwithoutjoy 06:59 PM 05-12-2014
Congratulations; good for you. Baby steps lead to bigger steps...
TickleMonster 06:11 AM 05-13-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
Ok. You guys have inspired me to come out of the broom closet. At least, on the forum! Baby steps, right? I am the original Unregistered poster of this thread. Your understanding and advice have been PRICELESS. Thanks so much!
Fantastic!
KiddieCahoots 07:16 AM 05-13-2014
Good for you Wednesday!
Religion does not define who we are. Your posts show what a terrific and caring person you are. Any family would be extremely lucky to have you care for their children!
SilverSabre25 07:23 AM 05-13-2014
Good for you!

I have to say that I'm super duper impressed with the acceptance and encouragement here.
iRadiateLove 07:37 AM 05-13-2014
I don't like the fact that you have to remain in the broom closet. I identify as Christian but I have studied paganism with a dear sister friend. She's not a part of a coven but at one time we discussed starting one. I also suppose that I'm more open minded than most. I see an overlap in so many religions and I respect them all. Shoot, most probably wouldn't see me as a typical Christian because I am a reiki practitioner and I do crystal work... I'm not Buddhist but I have prayer breads... I meditate... Practice yoga when I have time... I say all of this to say that many more people need to be open and receptive. As another poster commented, some parents may indeed be looking for a Wiccan/Pagan daycare. But, I also don't think you should be questioned on your religious beliefs if you aren't planning on incorporating them into your childcare curriculum.

I'm also a married lesbian with a daughter. I thought this would stunt my ability to get children and stressed about it in the beginning. But, the right people made their way to me and they could care less that I'm lesbian.

Best wishes and blessed be.
My3cents 12:12 PM 05-13-2014
Originally Posted by iRadiateLove:
I don't like the fact that you have to remain in the broom closet. I identify as Christian but I have studied paganism with a dear sister friend. She's not a part of a coven but at one time we discussed starting one. I also suppose that I'm more open minded than most. I see an overlap in so many religions and I respect them all. Shoot, most probably wouldn't see me as a typical Christian because I am a reiki practitioner and I do crystal work... I'm not Buddhist but I have prayer breads... I meditate... Practice yoga when I have time... I say all of this to say that many more people need to be open and receptive. As another poster commented, some parents may indeed be looking for a Wiccan/Pagan daycare. But, I also don't think you should be questioned on your religious beliefs if you aren't planning on incorporating them into your childcare curriculum.

I'm also a married lesbian with a daughter. I thought this would stunt my ability to get children and stressed about it in the beginning. But, the right people made their way to me and they could care less that I'm lesbian.

Best wishes and blessed be.
I am accepting of all, except mean people. I don't do mean. I guess we all have some form of -----can't think of the word I want here------- I look for the good in others and I just try to stay away from the rest- I feel there is good and bad in all and I just try to lean towards the good~ I consider myself a Christian but I don't believe in every bite of it. Just me~~~
permanentvacation 01:07 PM 05-13-2014
I fully understand parents asking what religion a daycare provider is. Being a daycare provider is not like being a waitress. We, as daycare providers, are partnering with the children's parents to help raise their children. We are basically a third parent for the child. Just like a woman should not plan to have and raise a child with a man (or vise versa) without asking about their religion and other major beliefs, they should not enter a partnership with a daycare provider without asking about their religion and other major beliefs. I fully believe that the parents have every right to know what my core beliefs are and have the right to say whether or not they want their child to be with a person who has those beliefs on a constant daily basis.
KidGrind 01:15 PM 05-13-2014
Much respect and thanks for sharing your truth.
KidGrind 01:19 PM 05-13-2014
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I fully understand parents asking what religion a daycare provider is. Being a daycare provider is not like being a waitress. We, as daycare providers, are partnering with the children's parents to help raise their children. We are basically a third parent for the child. Just like a woman should not plan to have and raise a child with a man (or vise versa) without asking about their religion and other major beliefs, they should not enter a partnership with a daycare provider without asking about their religion and other major beliefs. I fully believe that the parents have every right to know what my core beliefs are and have the right to say whether or not they want their child to be with a person who has those beliefs on a constant daily basis.
I am in only one partnership and that is with my husband. I am a sole propriety and I enter into a business agreement with clients to take care of their children. My faith, religious beliefs or lack thereof is absolutely none of their business.
NightOwl 01:27 PM 05-13-2014
Agreed kingrind. I don't want to say to someone "none of your business", but it really isn't. It's a business relationship. I understand how it easily becomes a personal relationship if you let it, but that would open you up to more scrutiny.
Laurel 01:43 PM 05-13-2014
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
You have a point but I have never been asked in 20 years or asked the parents their religion/beliefs. However, when my firstborn started in a Montessori preschool, it's director was a Catholic nun. Montessori is not a religious philosophy so I did ask. She assured me hers was a secular program so I sent my son there.

I think it is fine to ask but also ok if a provider chooses not to say then parent doesn't have to choose that provider.
crazydaycarelady 02:37 PM 05-13-2014
I haven't had time to read all of the responses. I have never had anyone ask about religion in all the time I have been doing dc. I think I would be inclined to tell them it is irrelevant since it has no place in my business. But if you feel the need to answer I love this quote from you
Originally Posted by :
The earth is sacred, all life springs forth from her, God is not found in a church, God is in every person, animal, plant, stream, in every aspect of nature."
Just don't label yourself.
CtheLove 10:03 PM 05-13-2014
I Love Love Love this thread!!!!!! Their is just so much understanding going around, it has made my night. I have been kind'a on and off learning about Paganism and Wicca, because I have been so worried what others would think. I have been wanting to get back into it but worried if a parent found out and now I have gained new confidence. I love this forum!

C the Love, Feel the Love, Share the Love
NightOwl 05:54 AM 05-14-2014
Originally Posted by CtheLove:
I Love Love Love this thread!!!!!! Their is just so much understanding going around, it has made my night. I have been kind'a on and off learning about Paganism and Wicca, because I have been so worried what others would think. I have been wanting to get back into it but worried if a parent found out and now I have gained new confidence. I love this forum!

C the Love, Feel the Love, Share the Love
Ya!! Merry meet!
SunshineMama 06:16 AM 05-14-2014
I have not read all of the other posts, but I just wanted to say that I am sorry that you feel like you can't be your whole and complete self at your own daycare. I have had one couple ask me what religion I was during an interview once and I was so taken aback. I suppose that I understand why a parent may ask, however if you are looking for something specific, then you should seek that out, not ask every person you interview personal questions like that.

Can you advertise "secular/naturalist/(insert specialty here) daycare?" Perhaps there are many others out there that feel the same as you and are looking for something specific.
Michelle 06:21 AM 05-14-2014
can you help me understand?
I had a neighbor who was a witch and she actually told me that she had participated in baby sacrifices in the past and they actually had breeders who would get pregnant just to supply them with enough babies to do this.
She left and fled to California and was being tracked down by them because one of her kids was the high priest's child and she was scared because she didn't want them to find her.. she was pregnant and they said her baby was going to be sacrificed next.
She became a Christian and last I heard she and her kids are safe and still in hiding. She often offered to watch my kids and I always said no.(My choice, no offense)

I am confused by your statements that witchcraft is a peaceful religion and doesn't hurt anyone.
I seriously am not trying to start anything I just want some clarification.
NightOwl 06:39 AM 05-14-2014
Wow! One bad apple ruins the bushel! That's the best way I can explain it. People like that are who gives the vast majority of us a bad name. That is some serious dark witchcraft. I wouldn't leave my kids with her either! Honestly, this sounds like she was part of an occult type organization. That is, not at all, in nooooo way, typical of your average pagan/witch. Not even a little bit. Lol. They were likely worshiping something that I don't even acknowledge as real: the devil. The devil is a Christian concept derived from our God of the forest, Pan. Also known as the Green Man. He is usually depicted with horns and the lower body of an animal with hooves, or with a face entirely covered in leaves. For pagans/witches, he is the god of the hunt. In centuries past, he would be called upon and worshiped to bless a hunt so that it would be successful. Yes, he's intimidating and scary looking, but no devil. Most of us don't even believe in a devil or the concept of hell.
Angelsj 06:41 AM 05-14-2014
Originally Posted by Michelle:
I had a neighbor who was a witch and she actually told me that she had participated in baby sacrifices in the past and they actually had breeders who would get pregnant just to supply them with enough babies to do this.
She left and fled to California and was being tracked down by them because one of her kids was the high priest's child and she was scared because she didn't want them to find her.. she was pregnant and they said her baby was going to be sacrificed next.
She became a Christian and last I heard she and her kids are safe and still in hiding. She often offered to watch my kids and I always said no.(My choice, no offense)

I am confused by your statements that witchcraft is a peaceful religion and doesn't hurt anyone.
Like every religion (and many political entities) there are always those who take something good and turn it into something evil. We have seen this in a huge variety of religious sectors.
Catholic- Inquisition
Puritans- Salem
Muslim- Taliban
Protestants- Westboro
You can have this in any type of religion. What your friend was part of does exist, but it is not what Wednesday is referring to in her own religion. It is a nasty byproduct using "witchcraft" as a means to do horrific things.
SunshineMama 06:44 AM 05-14-2014
Originally Posted by Michelle:

I'm sure there's extremists in every religion. Remember the "christian" preacher who protested certain funerals, and burned the koran?
NightOwl 06:54 AM 05-14-2014
For 98% of us, paganism is the reverence and worship of a goddess and a god that reside in each of us, in each tree, stream, animal, cloud floating by. We consider ourselves surrounded by them. Therefore, we have a deep respect for all life and the planet. We're activists for the environment, usually liberals, big on women's rights ( men are witches too, not just us girls), and big on equality for the races, sexual preferences and the genders. Most pagans believe in the Summerland, which is where early Christians got the concept of heaven. We believe communion with the gods is possible because they are everywhere, in everything. When we hold rituals or participate in a circle or "cast a spell", that's how we pray. The difference is when Christians pray, they bow their heads and talk to God. When we pray, we use our whole bodies, burn herbs and candles, pour water, sprinkle salt, etc. We consider these offerings. So spell work is essentially prayer with the addition of offering something as a "thank you" for hearing me type thing.
I'm adding all of this because I really want people to be educated about how it normally is. We're not scary, we just do things differently. And the situation that Michelle described is horrific. That wasn't true witchcraft, that was something totally evil hiding behind the guise of witchcraft.
NightOwl 06:55 AM 05-14-2014
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Like every religion (and many political entities) there are always those who take something good and turn it into something evil. We have seen this in a huge variety of religious sectors.
Catholic- Inquisition
Puritans- Salem
Muslim- Taliban
Protestants- Westboro
You can have this in any type of religion. What your friend was part of does exist, but it is not what Wednesday is referring to in her own religion. It is a nasty byproduct using "witchcraft" as a means to do horrific things.
This exactly!
NightOwl 06:58 AM 05-14-2014
And I don't mind any type of questions. Ask away!
SunshineMama 09:16 AM 05-14-2014
Just a random question, but is Paganism similar to the Law of Attraction? This thread was really interesting to me so I looked up some information on paganism and what I read seemed really similar- transferring energy from yourself to the universe and attracting it back to you in some form.

I have some religious beliefs but I have definitely seen the law of attraction work for me in simple ways over and over (I can picture my almost first row parking spot in a crowded place, with almost 100% accuracy, or think hard about having a particular person call and they do, etc).

Just wondering if they were the same-sorry if this question is too out of context for the thread. I have a curious mind lol
NightOwl 10:05 AM 05-14-2014
No, you're right! Trust me, we all noticed this when The Secret first came out. I was like "law of attraction? That's what we've called magick for thousands of years!" Whatever you put out into the universe will come back to you. Putting out negative things comes back times 3, which is why we don't "put out" negative things. Sending ill will towards someone, hoping they will befall hard times, will come back and slap you in the face! Karma really is a bitch.
LoraJenkins 07:03 PM 05-14-2014
OP, Merry Meet! I am Wiccan and all my parents know it. It has never been an issue for me. The way I see it is if they are uncomfortable, I don't need them as clients. You are not alone being a Pagan daycare provider. ) 0 (

Blessed Be!
Cradle2crayons 07:15 PM 05-14-2014
Youa re only one state over from me. Yep, the Bible Belt smack dab in the middle eh??

I have had parents ask me. I also ask parents. It doesn't matter to me what religion they are I just like to be aware so I can do my best to respect their religious preferences since I do spend a lot of time with their kids.

However, if people don't want you to care for their kids based simply on religion... They just aren't the type of people should be surrounded with.

I'm Christian. I grew up in a baptist church and Ina. Christian private school. But I have a family that isn't Christian and two who are. I grew up with a wonderful girl who is pagan but nobody else knew until she was an adult. She's an awesome person regardless of her religion or any other personal choices.

And that's what I hope I've taught my own kids. If hey want others to respect their morals and religious beliefs, then they have to respect others also.
Unregistered 04:44 PM 05-16-2014
I don't like being asked by dc parents or potential dc parents anything related to religion. It's not relevant to the services that I'm providing. It's a pretty common question to be asked where I live so I learned how to answer it early on.

When I'm asked about my religious beliefs, I say that my faith is very personal to me and my daycare is operated in a secular manner. I also add that I'm just not comfortable with being a part of their children's religious education because it is such a deeply personal experience between children and their parents.

I respect their right to privacy and they respect mine. It works out nicely.
renodeb 08:12 PM 05-16-2014
Religion is a very touchy subject for most people. I honestly think that it is none of there business what religion you are. Religion should not even enter the picture. I would just tell them that in an effort to keep things on a professional level that you avoid talking about religion. I honestly think people would balk because they don't understand your beliefs. I'm sorry you fell you have to hide your beliefs.
cheerfuldom 08:38 PM 05-16-2014
Agreed kingrind. I don't want to say to someone "none of your business", but it really isn't. It's a business relationship. I understand how it easily becomes a personal relationship if you let it, but that would open you up to more scrutiny.
then I think that is what you need to focus on....that your daycare does not provide spiritual or religious instruction and that is what most parents really are asking, even if it seems like they are asking about your particular beliefs. It is also more than okay to always follow up a question with "why do you ask?" and get a feel for what it is they are looking for before answering. i think you will find that many many parents do not care so long as you do not instruct their children in your personal beliefs. But if it is really important to a parent to ask a particular question, no matter how weird, I do think they have the right to ask. WE have the right to respond as we see fit
Tags:pagan, religion, religion - pagan
Reply Up