Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Who Said They Color Code Their Kids' Belongings?
NightOwl 02:03 PM 05-23-2014
Blue for one, orange for another, etc. What all do you buy in each color that's for each child's individual use? I only remember sippies and spoons.
LysesKids 02:23 PM 05-23-2014
I don't know who originally posted it (I read it too, just don't remember), but I bought each child their own color plate/bento, bowl and mug from Thinkbaby (has 5-6 colors) along with extra sippy, bottles, a blanket and spoons. I do nothing but under 2's, but the babies learn what is theirs and a few have become very protective of their stuff over the years - I keep only 3-4 at a time and like the other poster, all the stuff transfers to new infants coming in when one ages out/leaves
Leanna 02:26 PM 05-23-2014
I do (and several others on here do too)
Everything is color coded:
- plates, cups, bowls, & silverware (BPA-free from IKEA, ordered off Amazon)
- cots
- combs
- hand towels
- cubby bins
- all name tags, etc.
- take home folders
- toothbrushes

Next year I will be supplying blankets in their colors as well.
daycarediva 02:30 PM 05-23-2014
Me!

I have 6 colors, 6 kids each day. A few share a space/color (different nap items)

Colored ikea set (I can link when I'm on my laptop) I have three sets now. Breakfast, lunch , snack.

Colored pillowcases my mom sewed for me from fabric to match.

Colored fleece blankets to match

Colored spout sippy cups for water throughout the day from michaels craft store ($1.50ish)

My next investment towards my color coordination will be map mats and/or sheets (use white sheets at the moment)

I used to have coordinating cubbies, but so many broke that only 5 now match. As soon as the color is restocked I will replace the non matching ones.
daycarediva 02:33 PM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by Leanna:
I do (and several others on here do too)
Everything is color coded:
- plates, cups, bowls, & silverware (BPA-free from IKEA, ordered off Amazon)
- cots
- combs
- hand towels
- cubby bins
- all name tags, etc.
- take home folders
- toothbrushes

Next year I will be supplying blankets in their colors as well.
I have folders, too ! Didn't think of that.

Try joann fabric. I got my blankets when the plain no pill fleece was 40% off, used a 25% off coupon then I cut abd rag tied the ends. It was really cheap. Under $30 for the 8 kids I had at the time.
Heidi 02:36 PM 05-23-2014
I do!

I do cups, plates, and blankets. Anything that's labeled gets highlighted in the same color.

I am going to make place mats in their color next, with a picture of a plate, napkin, spork, and cup on them. My plan is to put them on the table, with some pics of that child on the corners, and then put a clear marine-grade vinyl tablecloth over that. So, everyone has "assigned" seating.

My 17 month old daycare girl is my new helper. Today, she handed out everyone's cups. I said "B...can you give everyone their cup?" and she did it correctly with no help!
Leanna 02:36 PM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I have folders, too ! Didn't think of that.

Try joann fabric. I got my blankets when the plain no pill fleece was 40% off, used a 25% off coupon then I cut abd rag tied the ends. It was really cheap. Under $30 for the 8 kids I had at the time.
Oh great idea on the fleece! So you just cut the edges into fringe and then tied?
daycarediva 02:51 PM 05-23-2014
Oh great idea on the fleece! So you just cut the edges into fringe and then tied?
Yup!!! Super simple!! I've had them two years now, they look brand new!
SilverSabre25 03:00 PM 05-23-2014

My next investment towards my color coordination will be map mats and/or sheets (use white sheets at the moment)
You could dye them! RIT dyes at Jo-Anns. Or even Kool-Aid if you want to do it cheaply.
daycarediva 03:58 PM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
You could dye them! RIT dyes at Jo-Anns. Or even Kool-Aid if you want to do it cheaply.
That's an AWESOME IDEA!!! I wonder if left over tie dye would work? dd had a tie dye thing at school and we have 14 bottles 1/2 full.

I sense a weekend project for DD!!! THANK YOU!

Here are the ikea set(s) I use, op.

http://www.amazon.com/Ikea-Plastic-F...silverware+set
NightOwl 04:08 PM 05-23-2014
Wow, only $17? Are they durable?
daycarediva 04:36 PM 05-23-2014
Very. My oldest set has some minor wear on the spoons and light scratching on the plates. Not very noticeable, still usable.
SilverSabre25 05:06 PM 05-23-2014
That's an AWESOME IDEA!!! I wonder if left over tie dye would work? dd had a tie dye thing at school and we have 14 bottles 1/2 full.

I sense a weekend project for DD!!! THANK YOU!

Here are the ikea set(s) I use, op.

http://www.amazon.com/Ikea-Plastic-F...silverware+set
Sure Tie dye stuff will be perfect!
NightOwl 05:15 PM 05-23-2014
What about cubby bins? I use the fabric cubes that fold up when not in use, but thought you guys might have a better idea? Those suckers are about 15 bucks each.

And what do you do when you have more than 6? I love the ikea set, but there's only 6 colors.
daycarediva 05:32 PM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
What about cubby bins? I use the fabric cubes that fold up when not in use, but thought you guys might have a better idea? Those suckers are about 15 bucks each.

And what do you do when you have more than 6? I love the ikea set, but there's only 6 colors.
Double up? Make "daycare buddies" and pair kids up?
Leanna 07:48 PM 05-23-2014
Yup!!! Super simple!! I've had them two years now, they look brand new!
Ok, one more question Daycarediva! What dimensions did you have the fleece cut? Thanks!!!!!!
SilverSabre25 08:17 PM 05-23-2014
Ok, one more question Daycarediva! What dimensions did you have the fleece cut? Thanks!!!!!!
i think mine were about 1.5 yards long by however wide the fleece is. Made it perfect for the cots we use.
daycarediva 06:09 AM 05-24-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
i think mine were about 1.5 yards long by however wide the fleece is. Made it perfect for the cots we use.
I had them cut a yard of each color, then just went back to get the colors I needed when PT kids started sharing a space/color.

My biggest issue with that is I can't remember which is which, so I sewed on an initial in each corner (.50 at joanns for plain white). They are removable, so the blanket can still be passed down to the next kid.
CraftyMom 12:56 PM 05-24-2014
I currently have plates, bowls and cups color coded for each kid. It def helps though and they know who's is who's.

One day last week for some reason the kids decided they wanted different colors. I said ok just for today. That was a mistake! They are so used to their color I had to keep on top of them constantly at breakfast because they kept grabbing for their own color cup, forgetting that they switched. We didn't make it past breakfast. I rewashed everything and they got their own colors back for lunch
NightOwl 06:18 PM 05-24-2014
I ordered two of the ikea sets and since I have more than 6 kids, one older child (who uses a cup) and one younger child (who uses a sippy) will "share" a color.
Tags:color color coordinating
Reply Up