Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Putting on Shoes & W Sitting
Lyss 10:07 PM 06-30-2014
I have a DCG I'm wondering a bit about. I'm not really sure how to explain it or really if there is anything going on, maybe I'm just over thinking or overly paranoid but I've really been wondering about this lately so who better to ask than you ladies?

At almost 3 she really struggles with putting on shoes/socks, even though we've been working on this for over 6 months (we go through the shoe routine three times a day), and even with very simple shoes or sandals. All my other kids of similar age (2/2.5/3) have mastered shoes/socks but not DCG. I know kids master skills at different rates but I've been noticing that she gets the logistics (which foot the shoe goes on, puling the tongue out of the way, making sure her socks are straight) but it's the process of getting it onto her foot she just can't master because she won't bend her legs at all. When I try to show her to bend her leg inward so she can use two hands or stand up into the shoe her leg is so rigid I can barely move it.

She's also a habitual W sitter, I struggle to get her to sit any other way and if she does it's only legs out straight in front of her. She doesn't bend them, no criss cross or v sitting or sitting on bend knees.

She's very bright, fast runner, pretty good balance... am I just overthinking it or am I missing something? Any tips to encourage her to sit differently or shoe advice?
NightOwl 05:07 AM 07-01-2014
Could this be a hip rotation issue? That was the first thing that came to mind.
Lyss 07:58 AM 07-01-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
Could this be a hip rotation issue? That was the first thing that came to mind.
Possibly, I just can't find a whole lot other than hip dysplasia (which I don't believe is the issue) in any of my child development books. Or anything that make sense I should say.

When I watch her try to get her shoes/socks on the only way she will bend her leg is if she shifts into a W sitting position but then, like the legs out straight she normally does, she can't properly reach her foot to get the shoe on. She's very bright and it frustrates her to no end.

I'm planning to talk to mom I just want to be armed with all the info I can find.
Childminder 08:13 AM 07-01-2014
It is not good for her and delays development in many areas, small motor and hand preference being a couple. I have had a couple of children with this tendency over the years and was told to be persistent and remind them to sit differently. Gently and physically help them sit by holding their knees together and bending their knees as they sit. If that doesn't work sit them on a stool or in a chair. Following are a couple links that you could print off for the parent or google more.

http://nspt4kids.com/parenting/w-sit...childs-growth/
http://www.pediatricservices.com/parents/pc-22.htm
Lyss 01:21 PM 07-01-2014
Originally Posted by Childminder:
It is not good for her and delays development in many areas, small motor and hand preference being a couple. I have had a couple of children with this tendency over the years and was told to be persistent and remind them to sit differently. Gently and physically help them sit by holding their knees together and bending their knees as they sit. If that doesn't work sit them on a stool or in a chair. Following are a couple links that you could print off for the parent or google more.

http://nspt4kids.com/parenting/w-sit...childs-growth/
http://www.pediatricservices.com/parents/pc-22.htm
Thank you!
SilverSabre25 01:42 PM 07-01-2014
I can't speak to anything else but my 3 yo can't do socks OR shoes (only boots) even though he can completely dress himself otherwise, including putting on his own pull up and turning around a shirt that is backwards.
NightOwl 01:49 PM 07-01-2014
The muscle tightness sounds interesting. Does she refuse to bend her legs inward because it hurts?
Lyss 09:01 PM 07-01-2014
It's 50/50 it seems, sometimes she cries out and says it hurts if I try to show her how to bend them and other times she says it doesn't hurt but she's frustrated/sad she can't do it.
Lyss 09:05 PM 07-01-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I can't speak to anything else but my 3 yo can't do socks OR shoes (only boots) even though he can completely dress himself otherwise, including putting on his own pull up and turning around a shirt that is backwards.
This DCG can't get boots on even, which is actually what got me paying more attention in the first place. She understands how to get them on but it's the reaching/bending that seems to catch her up.

I'm kinda figuring out how to explain it more as my posts go on, my first post was a bit all over I think
Reply Up