Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Did You Moved Your Toddler DKK To Mat? How Was?
josie2014 03:25 PM 12-01-2014
When did you move dck to mat?How was,has any tricks to help this transition?
AmyKidsCo 05:49 PM 12-01-2014
I do it between 18 mos and 2 years - whenever I think they understand the concept of "stay on your nap mat"

Usually I start with the portacrib mattress on the floor, right where the portacrib was. I fold up the portacrib and use it as a "wall" on the most open side of the mattress. After a week or so I switch the mattress out for a nap mat but leave the portacrib there. In another week or so I take away the portacrib.

I'm not a back-rubber or hoverer at nap time, but I do plan to be extra vigilant those first weeks until the child gets the hang of staying put without the portacrib walls around him.
Rachel 10:33 PM 12-04-2014
I move them early. I have had 9 month olds understand stay on your mat. I've more than once moved a 5 month old because of not sleeping well in the crib. All the kids I have now (between 11 months and turning 2 in February) sleep on mats and know to stay on them until they are told to get up. In the beginning I sit by them and it is a process, but within a week they totally get it and sleep much better than in cribs IME.
Play Care 03:40 AM 12-05-2014
I can't move anyone until after a year (state regs) but I often wait until they are closer to 2 to make the change. I also plan on not getting anything done for a few weeks during the transistion time. but because I wait until kids are a bit older it's usually pretty painless.
therov 08:58 AM 12-05-2014
15-18 mos, mostly based on what's going on at the daycare. For instance, I'll transition earlier if it's springtime since I usually have some churn during the summer (kids attending just one or two weeks before camp, leaving for vacation, etc.), and an unsettled nap room isn't helpful. I also wait if a vacation or holiday stint is close by.
Tags:transitioning, transitioning - crib to cot, transitioning - pnp to cot
Reply Up