Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-15-2015, 09:42 PM
AmyLeigh's Avatar
AmyLeigh AmyLeigh is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 875
Default Well, that Explains a Lot!

DCB 5 and his foster sister, 2, are currently my pickiest eaters, always asking for processed foods such as crackers, pop tarts, granola bars, etc., when it's snack time. I usually don't have those items in the house. They are really good kids, so they will eat what I give them reluctantly, but I know that they aren't always happy about it.

Today, DCD comes to pick up. DH is in the garage, working out, with the door open. We have been friends with the family for some time now, so the guys are chatting. DCD is asking DH about his workout routine, and what he has done to lose weight. DH tells him he has cut way back on sweets (his downfall) and cut out all soda and fast food.
DCD: "What? How do you cut out fast food?!?"
DH: "Just don't go get it."

Like I said, that explains a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-15-2015, 09:48 PM
AmyKidsCo's Avatar
AmyKidsCo AmyKidsCo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,786
Default



Can't eat what's not in the house!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-16-2015, 03:59 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo View Post


Can't eat what's not in the house!
True true true!! It's sad that people give in to only things the child will eat. I'm having a hard time getting 1 2 yo dcg to eat many fruits, let alone veggies. She's a huge carb eater. She'll eat bananas, mandarin oranges, clementines, and applesauce. I finally got her to try pineapple yesterday and she kept asking for more. She just won't even try most things. And veggies?? Hah, forget it. Not 1 veggie. I have another almost 3 yo who is almost the same way. Then there's the 6 yo who only likes cucumbers and corn(I don't serve corn very often).

After watching this go on for awhile, I know it's because they're not served anything different.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-16-2015, 06:28 AM
Sugaree's Avatar
Sugaree Sugaree is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Georgia
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
True true true!! It's sad that people give in to only things the child will eat. I'm having a hard time getting 1 2 yo dcg to eat many fruits, let alone veggies. She's a huge carb eater. She'll eat bananas, mandarin oranges, clementines, and applesauce. I finally got her to try pineapple yesterday and she kept asking for more. She just won't even try most things. And veggies?? Hah, forget it. Not 1 veggie. I have another almost 3 yo who is almost the same way. Then there's the 6 yo who only likes cucumbers and corn(I don't serve corn very often).

After watching this go on for awhile, I know it's because they're not served anything different.
I read these things and it makes me so grateful that my kid is an adventurous eater. To the point where I've had several people ask if there's anything he DOESN'T eat. The only thing we've found so far that he just doesn't really care for is peanut butter. He's not allergic, but just doesn't really care for it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-16-2015, 06:41 AM
Kabob's Avatar
Kabob Kabob is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,105
Default

Thankfully my current group loves all their fruits and veggies. I never have leftovers anymore.. they clean their plates every day.

Soda and fast food is terrible....dh cut out soda and dropped 15 lbs without changing anything else.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-16-2015, 07:48 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabob View Post
Thankfully my current group loves all their fruits and veggies. I never have leftovers anymore.. they clean their plates every day.

Soda and fast food is terrible....dh cut out soda and dropped 15 lbs without changing anything else.
Same here! My kiddos ALL eat great! We go through several red, yellow and orange bell peppers during one lunch time....we grow them as part of our curriculum...but the kids cannot get enough of them.

I am grateful that my kids all eat so well as I do know a couple of them come from families that have awful eating habits...

As for fast food, when my DH got type 1 diabetes (he was NOT overweight at all...it was purely genetic) we stopped eating fast food altogether and I think its probably been about 8 years now since I've gone through ANY type of drive through (other than the bank) and I do have to say that it is an amazing feeling to not crave that stuff or want it at all.

My DS worked at Burger King through his high school years and when I couldn't wash the smell of grease and the feeling of grease on his uniform out of his clothing (using heavy duty wash cycle AND vinegar etc) I KNEW that junk like that couldn't be a good thing. Imagine what it does to your digestive system if it won't wash out of a cotton shirt?!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-16-2015, 08:20 AM
MsLisa's Avatar
MsLisa MsLisa is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Dupont, PA
Posts: 292
Default

My personal favs are the SA kids I have who have "behavioral problems" and every other morning their parents send them in with Burger King breakfasts. And the amount of kids who eat Lunchables daily makes me cringe.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-16-2015, 09:29 AM
Controlled Chaos's Avatar
Controlled Chaos Controlled Chaos is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,128
Default

I can't judge the fast food choice, I do not enjoy cooking and if we had more disposable income I would probably buy more "organic" "healthy" frozen food form trader joes or whole foods. (I do make healthy homemade meals for dcks but that burns me out for more cooking) Luckily we don't have the money to buy it or to eat out much lol. My kids definitely get fast food once every two weeks or so when we take too long at the grocery store and its way past their lunch/dinner time so I grab happy meals on the way home so they can eat while I unload and put away groceries. BUT my kids know it is a treat and know what are healthy foods for their bodies.

I DO judge parents bending to their children regarding the foods they offer. I have so many dcks that eat EVERYTHING here. I too never have leftover fruits or veggies. But the parents complain of how picky their kids are I am friends with one family (long before we had kids) and we were at their place for dinner when she commented on how she never knows what to make as her kid won't eat anything. I literally laughed out loud. Her kid happily, enthusiastically, eats several helpings of pretty much everything I serve. It is a total power play. He likes to make his parents jump and boy do they
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

This thread and my picky eater who often comes in and eats one tiny bite of snack and doesn't like it, caused me to ask them today.

I asked "do you cook and eat at home or do you eat out a lot?"
DCB "We mostly eat out because we can't cook at home"
Me "What do you mean you can't cook at home?"
DCB "well we could cook at home but we don't have the food on hand, except daddy likes to make fudge we buy the stuff for that".
ME: "So you guys eat out every night for dinner?"
DCG: "just sometimes but we don't cook at home alot".

Explains a ton doesn't it? I am not totally anti fast food or eating out, but they put stuff in that food to make you want more, and I really believe to much of it makes us fat and kills us bit by bit.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-16-2015, 02:38 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

I have a food questionaire that I hand out at interview time, this gives me an idea of what kind of eaters the families are.

i stopped taking the junk food kids and the FFF fast food families

I get it, people work and are tired when they get home. But really how hard is it to throw together a salad, veggie salad, fruit salad.

You can buy the bag salads and add what you want , now that is what I call fast food .....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-16-2015, 02:45 PM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
I have a food questionaire that I hand out at interview time, this gives me an idea of what kind of eaters the families are.

i stopped taking the junk food kids and the FFF fast food families

I get it, people work and are tired when they get home. But really how hard is it to throw together a salad, veggie salad, fruit salad.

You can buy the bag salads and add what you want , now that is what I call fast food .....
Totally agree. And the two in my post, their mom doesn't go to work until 10 am a lot of mornings. The crockpot is my friend for a "fast" healthy meal.

ETA: Daycare would you mind sharing your form?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-16-2015, 02:59 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftylady View Post
Totally agree. And the two in my post, their mom doesn't go to work until 10 am a lot of mornings. The crockpot is my friend for a "fast" healthy meal.

ETA: Daycare would you mind sharing your form?
yeah PM me and I will share with you my enrollment form....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-16-2015, 03:38 PM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-16-2015, 04:14 PM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
I have a food questionaire that I hand out at interview time, this gives me an idea of what kind of eaters the families are.

i stopped taking the junk food kids and the FFF fast food families

I get it, people work and are tired when they get home. But really how hard is it to throw together a salad, veggie salad, fruit salad.

You can buy the bag salads and add what you want , now that is what I call fast food .....
This is what I did tonight. A rotisserie chicken from the grocery store (organic and only 7.99!), a bag of mixed greens and apples. It cost me under $15 for a family of 6. You CAN'T eat out for that price.

Yesterday I tossed some organic pasta in a pot, then sautéed it with spinach and cannellini beans and garlic. Easily under $10, all organic, fed a family of 6.

I work WAY longer hours than my daycare parents. NO excuses.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-16-2015, 04:40 PM
Kabob's Avatar
Kabob Kabob is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,105
Default

Eating out is super expensive and it just isn't as good as a home-cooked meal. I'm just picky about restaurant food, I guess. My dh and I used to work at a restaurant (that's how we met) so I hate eating out mainly because I know most of that food was frozen in individual portions and then just reheated in a microwave. For the price I'm paying, that makes me mad...I can have a fresh meal for everyone for so much less. So, when I do eat out, I try to order things that are more difficult for me to make at home. No way I'm ordering spaghetti.

As for fast food...yeah...you get what you pay for. I've also worked in fast food...I never felt good about the food I was serving. I understand people travel or are under a time crunch...but avoid it if you can...I could tell you horror stories about the grease traps that we had to clean daily (or more often during busy times).
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-16-2015, 04:50 PM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabob View Post
Eating out is super expensive and it just isn't as good as a home-cooked meal. I'm just picky about restaurant food, I guess. My dh and I used to work at a restaurant (that's how we met) so I hate eating out mainly because I know most of that food was frozen in individual portions and then just reheated in a microwave. For the price I'm paying, that makes me mad...I can have a fresh meal for everyone for so much less. So, when I do eat out, I try to order things that are more difficult for me to make at home. No way I'm ordering spaghetti.

As for fast food...yeah...you get what you pay for. I've also worked in fast food...I never felt good about the food I was serving. I understand people travel or are under a time crunch...but avoid it if you can...I could tell you horror stories about the grease traps that we had to clean daily (or more often during busy times).
My daughter works in fast food. She only works weekends, but she informed me the other day she is going to start taking her lunch. It will likely cost me more than her employee meal depending what she takes, but it will be better for her at least.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Explains a few things Magic Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 01-21-2015 11:34 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:49 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming