Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Help Me Spend A Gift Card Please?

I could kiss this dcf!!
Last spring I started a quest to change my backyard over into something a little more natural, less plastic type of play yard. I had a dcd who got me a whole lot of tree cookies. This spring I'm doing a couple more changes. I received a gift card this a.m., for $200 from Home Depot, from this same dcf.
I was speechless and in shock, and along with the gift I received a wonderful heartfelt note, expressing their appreciation. It made me want to cry.

I don't know what changes I can make, does anyone have any ideas? We've started a bean teepee, have a play kitchen area outside, a sand area, an area where I've placed bricks painted like roads, lots of rocks, sticks. I'm going to work on getting more loose parts. I'm going to have the dcks plant some veggies in pails, plus we're going to plant flowers in pots and place them throughout the yard.
I still have an 8-in-1 climber plus a LT cube climber pushed together that they still love to play on. I hate to get rid of it yet because they use it a lot. Plus a tire swing and a playhouse.

Any ideas?? What kinds of things would you do? I need some inspiration.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:31 AM
Daycare.com Member

This spring, I bought some butterfly attracting perennials. They come back every year and attract loads of butterflies. The kids absolutely loved observing the butterflies. They got to see them drink the nectar. We had conversations about what color they were. We counted them. The flowers smelled nice....Fun activity that was pretty and didn't require clean up afterwards.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
I could kiss this dcf!!
Last spring I started a quest to change my backyard over into something a little more natural, less plastic type of play yard. I had a dcd who got me a whole lot of tree cookies. This spring I'm doing a couple more changes. I received a gift card this a.m., for $200 from Home Depot, from this same dcf.
I was speechless and in shock, and along with the gift I received a wonderful heartfelt note, expressing their appreciation. It made me want to cry.

I don't know what changes I can make, does anyone have any ideas? We've started a bean teepee, have a play kitchen area outside, a sand area, an area where I've placed bricks painted like roads, lots of rocks, sticks. I'm going to work on getting more loose parts. I'm going to have the dcks plant some veggies in pails, plus we're going to plant flowers in pots and place them throughout the yard.
I still have an 8-in-1 climber plus a LT cube climber pushed together that they still love to play on. I hate to get rid of it yet because they use it a lot. Plus a tire swing and a playhouse.

Didn't you say your back yard was muddy during the Spring time? Sorry if that wasn't you.... but if it was, I'd consider getting some concrete pavers and using them to create a walk way to the back yard so next Spring when it's mud season again you can still get to your back yard.

You could even have the DCK's paint them all whimsical and cheery!

Id also consider stalking up on art/craft supplies. One can never have too much of that stuff.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:08 PM
Daycare.com Member

I have no ideas because my dh deals with the outdoor stuff, but wow, a $200 gift card?! That's amazing- they must really appreciate you
Old 05-06-2015, 12:18 PM
Daycare.com Member

Oh LOVE! I am making a pendulum, and a towel drying rack (both PVC), and buying new plastic rain gutters with my teacher appreciation gift. ($150 to Lowes)

AWESOME families rock! 3 others sent cards/said thank you, too.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:36 PM
Daycare.com Member

This is what I would get:

PVC pipes cut into various sizes, connectors and elbows. Great for imaginative play

Supplies to make an outdoor chalk board

Lot and lots of fragrant flowers and herbs

Easels for outdoor art projects

Planks to make a balance beam

Have fun!
Old 05-06-2015, 01:33 PM
Daycare.com Member

How wonderful!

Some things on my Wish List are:
Banging wall
Plexiglass easels
Water fountain that doesn't have a pool of water at the bottom (I can't think of what they're called...)

Also, do you have enough shade or could you use a canopy/tent? Do you have an outdoor sensory table?
Old 05-06-2015, 02:47 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
I could kiss this dcf!!

Sure I can help you spend it. Just scratch off the strip on the back and send all the numbers and the pin to my inbox!

Just kidding! Have fun with it.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:35 PM
Daycare.com Member

How quickly I forgot about the mud that drove us crazy for about 3 weeks(it was really disgusting this year too). And I've been wanting to do the pavers for a long time but don't feel I'd do a very good job myself. I'm going to check out ideas and instructions for that online because that would improve the backyard immensely. And I love the idea of letting the kids paint them.

I've been thinking of doing some kind of plexi-glass easel outside too. I've got 2 smaller pieces we've used before but would like to get a really big piece and screw it onto the fence.

I've got some(not too many so would get more) PVC pipes/connectors and I was actually trying to figure out a way to attach them to the fence so the kids could use them to talk to one another. They've discovered all they have to do is whisper, they've been having fun with that. So that'd be a good idea too.

What is a banging wall? like a music wall?

I bring our sand/water table outside in the summer time and use it usually with water.

I want to do it all. Ok, here's the deal. You all show up with your screwdrivers and hammers, I'll buy supplies and wine and pizza and we'll have a great weekend. Ok?

You all have provided some great ideas and inspiration, thanks!! And Thriftylady? Hahaha, we can shop together.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:07 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
How quickly I forgot about the mud that drove us crazy for about 3 weeks(it was really disgusting this year too). And I've been wanting to do the pavers for a long time but don't feel I'd do a very good job myself. I'm going to check out ideas and instructions for that online because that would improve the backyard immensely. And I love the idea of letting the kids paint them.

I've been thinking of doing some kind of plexi-glass easel outside too. I've got 2 smaller pieces we've used before but would like to get a really big piece and screw it onto the fence.

I've got some(not too many so would get more) PVC pipes/connectors and I was actually trying to figure out a way to attach them to the fence so the kids could use them to talk to one another. They've discovered all they have to do is whisper, they've been having fun with that. So that'd be a good idea too.

I bring our sand/water table outside in the summer time and use it usually with water.

I want to do it all. Ok, here's the deal. You all show up with your screwdrivers and hammers, I'll buy supplies and wine and pizza and we'll have a great weekend. Ok?

You all have provided some great ideas and inspiration, thanks!! And Thriftylady? Hahaha, we can shop together.
Outdoor project, wine AND pizza? Three of my favorite things! I'm there!
Old 05-06-2015, 05:37 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:

Well I did see my psychiatrist the other day. And she did order or prescribe me to "find a way to spend more time with other women" since I don't know how to do that exactly, when are we shopping??? LOL
Old 05-06-2015, 06:17 PM
Daycare.com Member

Believe me, I'd love to throw a huge backyard party and meet some of you! On one condition, no daycare talk after the first few drinks.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:05 AM
Daycare.com Member

Check out "outdoor play area for kids" on Pinterest! Tons of do-it-yourself ideas. Lucky you!
Old 05-07-2015, 10:00 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
I could kiss this dcf!!

These are all great ideas!

Some things I want to do:
sand wall
water wall
outdoor easels
organized storage for outdoor art stuff that is portable
little fort areas, no specific idea in mind yet, just somewhere where kids can
hang out. Maybe fort building supplies (blankets, clothespins, crates, etc)
plywood to attach to fences - paint with chalkboard paint, leave the other for kids to paint themselves, like a mural and just keep adding to it

I would also really like to have a privacy fence at the back of my property or some really nice bushes.