Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-07-2015, 12:18 PM
butterfly's Avatar
butterfly butterfly is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,630
Default Bean Pole Teepee

Has anyone made one? Any pointers? My wooden playhouse is getting rickety and needs to be replaced. I thought it would be fun to make a natural playhouse instead. Are there any climbing flowers that work for this? Any perennials? Just trying to plan long term.... Trying to figure out how much work this will be every year. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-07-2015, 03:23 PM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,834
Default

This will be my first year making one. We stuck bamboo poles in a wide circle the other day, then strung twine all around it, connecting all the poles and leaving an opening in the front. We're planning on planting green beans next week. recommended planting time for our area is after Memorial Day but we'll take our chances. Oh and because we made it bigger than what I'd found on pinterest, I crisscrossed some poles over the top too. Now watch the whole thing get top heavy and fall in on 'em.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-07-2015, 03:38 PM
butterfly's Avatar
butterfly butterfly is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
This will be my first year making one. We stuck bamboo poles in a wide circle the other day, then strung twine all around it, connecting all the poles and leaving an opening in the front. We're planning on planting green beans next week. recommended planting time for our area is after Memorial Day but we'll take our chances. Oh and because we made it bigger than what I'd found on pinterest, I crisscrossed some poles over the top too. Now watch the whole thing get top heavy and fall in on 'em.
Thank you for the reply. Do you know how long/tall your poles are? Where did you get the poles? How big do you think their inside play area is?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-08-2015, 03:25 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
Thank you for the reply. Do you know how long/tall your poles are? Where did you get the poles? How big do you think their inside play area is?

Thank you!
6' tall poles and I bought 3 packages of 6 each at Home Depot. Hmmm, how big inside the play area, well, it fit all 6 dcks pretty easily yesterday.
I used 2 packages and stuck each pole into the ground about 9-12" and set them maybe a foot apart, then the last package I tied over the top.

As far as climbing flowers, I'm not sure but that sounds really pretty.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-08-2015, 08:06 AM
butterfly's Avatar
butterfly butterfly is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
6' tall poles and I bought 3 packages of 6 each at Home Depot. Hmmm, how big inside the play area, well, it fit all 6 dcks pretty easily yesterday.
I used 2 packages and stuck each pole into the ground about 9-12" and set them maybe a foot apart, then the last package I tied over the top.

As far as climbing flowers, I'm not sure but that sounds really pretty.
Thanks for the info. That was very helpful. I know there are a few climbing type flowers, but some are poisonous to children. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know which are safe. I'm really excited to try this project.

The more I think about it, I may have to wait a year to try it. I have one little special needs guy who tends to destroy everything. I can see this ending badly with him. He should age out next year.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-08-2015, 09:53 AM
AmyLeigh's Avatar
AmyLeigh AmyLeigh is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 875
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
Are there any climbing flowers that work for this? Any perennials? Just trying to plan long term.... Trying to figure out how much work this will be every year. Thanks!
Does jasmine grow well in your area? That's one of my favorite climbing flowers because it smells so good. Scents are often tied to memories, so it can become part of the children's memories of fun times at daycare.

Morning glories and clematis are beautiful. But I think morning glories are annuals. Well, they are here due to the hot summers.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-08-2015, 10:25 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,536
Default

ivy works well and provides a thick cover.

I would love to do this, does it stay in the ground? Did you have to anchor it at all? Maybe I could weave some bright fabric strips around the poles until the greenery comes in.

You guys are bad for my bank account.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-08-2015, 10:38 AM
childcaremom's Avatar
childcaremom childcaremom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,969
Default

I want to do this, as well. Thanks for laying it out. Makes it seem do-able.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
crafts, crafts - teepee, teepee

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Super-Easy Black Bean Soup nothingwithoutjoy Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas 4 04-07-2014 10:43 AM
Bean bag chairsw Sunchimes Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 09-03-2012 08:22 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:40 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming