Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Closing after just One Year

I have made the choice to close after being open just one year. I have had one child since day 1, one for 10 months, and one for only a couple of months (whose concern when they enrolled was that I didn't have plans of stopping care anytime soon as it happened twice to them before). I am quitting as my middle child was just diagnosed with ASD and my time is needed elsewhere. There is no good way to give my family the special attention they will need and care for 4 other children. Luckily, I have already found all of the children alternative care in the home daycare done by the lady just across the street from me, so all the daycare kids could stay together. I know there are endless ideas of resignation letters but I am unsure what to do I'm my circumstance. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. (I'm a reg member but choosing to stay anonymous for this).
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-03-2015, 03:14 PM
Shell's Avatar
Shell Shell is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,743
Default

You've got all your bases covered with finding them new care, all together (which is really nice, btw).

Congrats on doing what is best for your family, and don't worry about the families- they will understand.

How about something like...
"I've decided to focus more of my time on my family, and my last day will be (x). I have enjoyed working with your families, and wish you the best.
(X), provider across the street, has space for all of the children, should you wish to keep them enrolled together. You cab reach her at (x).

Thank you,
provider
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-03-2015, 04:32 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell View Post
You've got all your bases covered with finding them new care, all together (which is really nice, btw).

Congrats on doing what is best for your family, and don't worry about the families- they will understand.

How about something like...
"I've decided to focus more of my time on my family, and my last day will be (x). I have enjoyed working with your families, and wish you the best.
(X), provider across the street, has space for all of the children, should you wish to keep them enrolled together. You cab reach her at (x).

Thank you,
provider
I would want to reinforce the fact that this closing wasn't planned when you agreed to take on that last family you mentioned who has gone through this kind of thing twice before. I would maybe start the letter above with "Due to unforeseen circumstances, I've decided to close my child care business. My last day will be..."

Hopefully, your dc families will understand and appreciate the fact that you've gone the extra mile for them by checking into availability at your neighbor's day care. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-03-2015, 08:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thanks for the advice.
My husband thinks we should talk to the families in person, but I'm not that kind of person - I would cry immediately, lol.

So- how do I do it? Email Friday after everyone leaves ? (I am giving a month notice)
Send a letter Friday when they leave sealed in their bagS?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-04-2015, 03:23 AM
childcaremom's Avatar
childcaremom childcaremom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for the advice.
My husband thinks we should talk to the families in person, but I'm not that kind of person - I would cry immediately, lol.

So- how do I do it? Email Friday after everyone leaves ? (I am giving a month notice)
Send a letter Friday when they leave sealed in their bagS?
When I closed, I wrote a brief letter for each family (very similar to yours) and handed it to them at pick up. I had a brief discussion with each family in person as I handed it to them and explained a bit about why I was closing.

It was REALLY hard to do because I loved most of my families, however I am glad I did. It got MUCH easier as I moved down the list.

Families will be surprised but they will get over it. All of mine were shocked but not one complained. They all understood.

You can do this
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-04-2015, 06:47 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by childcaremom View Post
When I closed, I wrote a brief letter for each family (very similar to yours) and handed it to them at pick up. I had a brief discussion with each family in person as I handed it to them and explained a bit about why I was closing.

It was REALLY hard to do because I loved most of my families, however I am glad I did. It got MUCH easier as I moved down the list.

Families will be surprised but they will get over it. All of mine were shocked but not one complained. They all understood.

You can do this
People would actually complain about a family home closing? That seems crummy. I hope not in this situation. My ASD kiddo has been having problems at school and with school ending and having her home all day it will be REALLYhard to give the other kids (all the daycare kids) what they need with her being home all day. Plus, she will have some OT starting and other appointments I just cannot make work. I hope I don't need to go into that kind of detail with families to make them understand.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-04-2015, 08:26 AM
AmyLeigh's Avatar
AmyLeigh AmyLeigh is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 875
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
People would actually complain about a family home closing? That seems crummy. I hope not in this situation. My ASD kiddo has been having problems at school and with school ending and having her home all day it will be REALLYhard to give the other kids (all the daycare kids) what they need with her being home all day. Plus, she will have some OT starting and other appointments I just cannot make work. I hope I don't need to go into that kind of detail with families to make them understand.
One of my families made me feel sooo guilty when I started talking about closing. Not on purpose, but still. It was enough for me to agree to stay open at least one more year, but only part time.

It is very kind on your part to have found replacement care for your families. I hope they will appreciate the gesture.

I wish you all the best.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-04-2015, 09:15 AM
Laurel's Avatar
Laurel Laurel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,148
Default

I would have to tell them in person. I guess I'm old school about that kind of stuff.

If you send a letter or an email, I'd ask them for confirmation so you know they saw it. You'd hate for them to toss it out with other papers in their book bag.

Laurel
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-04-2015, 09:33 AM
childcaremom's Avatar
childcaremom childcaremom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
People would actually complain about a family home closing? That seems crummy. I hope not in this situation. My ASD kiddo has been having problems at school and with school ending and having her home all day it will be REALLYhard to give the other kids (all the daycare kids) what they need with her being home all day. Plus, she will have some OT starting and other appointments I just cannot make work. I hope I don't need to go into that kind of detail with families to make them understand.
I was worried about them complaining. I had an interesting family in the group.

I would only share what you are comfortable with. It could be very generic or it could be detailed. Do what works for you. For me, it was nothing personal. My kids were switching schools, bussing couldn't be confirmed, and I didn't want to transport dcks. That's what I told the dcfs in person.

I was also approaching the burn out zone from the 'interesting' family but I didn't share that
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-04-2015, 11:52 AM
laundrymom's Avatar
laundrymom laundrymom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
People would actually complain about a family home closing? That seems crummy. I hope not in this situation. My ASD kiddo has been having problems at school and with school ending and having her home all day it will be REALLYhard to give the other kids (all the daycare kids) what they need with her being home all day. Plus, she will have some OT starting and other appointments I just cannot make work. I hope I don't need to go into that kind of detail with families to make them understand.
You don't owe them details and their reaction isn't your responsibility. Take care of you and yours. Everything else will be okay. I promise. If they treat you different after notice or are mean set them straight.
"My kids come first. Period. Respect it or leave "
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-04-2015, 01:06 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,629
Default

I do agree with your husband. I think this is something that should be done face to face and I meant to include that in my original reply. While handing them the letter, I would briefly explain that I've made the very difficult decision to close my child care and that I'd prefer not to go into detail right now. Please take a look at the letter and if you have any questions, let me know.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fee For Parents Requiring A Later Closing Time? Soccermom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 05-05-2014 01:06 PM
Rough Year in Daycare Land Oats&Ivy Daycare and Taxes 7 01-19-2014 06:02 PM
The 2 Year Old Who Loves Babies Too Much :( PolkaTots Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 12-10-2012 01:03 PM
Holidays and regression: THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR! E Daycare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 12-05-2012 08:53 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:11 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming