Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

View Poll Results: Does Someone in Your Family or Circle of Friends Have COVID-19
Yes - They Had Serious Heath Effects 11 22.00%
Yes - They Tested Positive 10 20.00%
Yes - Asymteanatic - no symptoms 0 0%
No 29 58.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-22-2020, 12:37 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,693
Default Covid-19 Poll

This poll is anonymous. I’m wondering about the impact of this virus. I understand about the impact on our businesses and economical impact on our society. I am more interested in the actual disease and those that are affected and infected by it.

Last edited by Michael; 07-22-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-22-2020, 12:52 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,453
Default

The second wave got my small town.

I have one previous co-worker currently in ICU and one being buried this weekend. Both public safety.

I have one family member (not in my household) and one previous client with very mild symptoms and recovering well.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-22-2020, 01:05 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,693
Default

Thanks for the info. I live in CA and do not know of anyone yet. (Knock on wood) I have a friend who told me his cousin died in NYC from COVID but the next day he said it was a drug overdose but that he was tested postmortem for COVID.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-22-2020, 01:14 PM
happymom happymom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,813
Default

Are you asking if someone has it right now? Or past tense?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-22-2020, 01:15 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,453
Default

Both of the ones who got very ill worked the protests.

Repeated exposures over the last three weeks and very long, stressful hours on the job. I, personally, feel that is why they succumbed. They were already so worn down before the exposure that got them.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-22-2020, 01:28 PM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Both of the ones who got very ill worked the protests.

Repeated exposures over the last three weeks and very long, stressful hours on the job. I, personally, feel that is why they succumbed. They were already so worn down before the exposure that got them.
CatHerder, I'm sorry.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-22-2020, 01:33 PM
happymom happymom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,813
Default

My aunt had it. She lives with her husband and my very elderly grandfather. We all thought he was a goner, but she kept it to herself and no other household members caught it!

She had symptoms, tested positive, but wasn't overly sick. She caught it (probably) from someone she worked with who also tested positive.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-22-2020, 01:55 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,601
Default

I voted no, as it's barely made it's way to my part of the state let alone my family but my Uncle (whom I see only once per year/lives 3 hrs away but in same state) got COVID and was hospitalized. He was released from the hospital after about 10 days and went home.

I guess about a week after he started having some kidney issues. Supposedly related to having COVID. He was re-admitted to the hospital and passed away about a week later.

I am hesitant to say his death was COVID although I am sure it will be counted that way statistically. He wasn't in perfect health prior to COVID and was 87 years old.

Otherwise, I know no one that has it or has had it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-22-2020, 02:02 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
CatHerder, I'm sorry.
Thank you, it is hitting the community pretty hard.

I think if another poll was done only including areas within 2-4 hours drive of the major rioting/protesting sites (like my community) the numbers would be polar opposites.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-22-2020, 02:50 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom View Post
Are you asking if someone has it right now? Or past tense?
This is considered a pandemic. Have or had it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-22-2020, 03:49 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,628
Default

The father of one of my dcds died and the grandfather of a friend passed away from complications caused by COVID.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-22-2020, 04:39 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
The father of one of my dcds died and the grandfather of a friend passed away from complications caused by COVID.
I was just telling my son about this poll and he told me one of his coworkers' daughter tested positive for COVID but was asymptomatic; her husband seriously ill and hospitalized with it but has recovered. Three of my husband's coworkers got it. As far as I know, they're all ok now. The coworker of my bil got it as well. He recovered, too.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-22-2020, 04:48 PM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,608
Default

My sisinlaw (age 47) tested postive along with her two special needs sons (age 25 & 16). They had mild symptoms with temp, tired, no-taste, etc.

My dh was tested once due to having a temp upon entrance to work. His tests was negative as he has severe sinus issues. He is to the point he can't go to the doctor because they always want to test for covid but it shuts your home down until the result comes back so we have refused to have any more doctor visits based on any normal cold/sinus symptoms.

I have closed my daycare two weeks in April due to advisement from the state. Closed two weeks in May due to my sis in law being positive as we live beside each other and had been around each other. I closed four stayed in Sat-Tuesday awaiting results of dh test.

I am about 65 miles south of Nashville on the Alabama line and Nashville is rampant with covid. The riots I'm sure hurt nashville. My nephews live in Nashville and both are working from home still but have been tested once due to their co-workers having covid before working from home.

My niece had a baby March 18 with only her husband there due to the covid guidelines. Her brothers that live in Nashville have fear being around the baby due to just walking outside exposure as they live in townhouses around many people that seem to love "carousing". They are so tired of being isolated but do not want covid nor spread it to others.

Their dad, my brother, developed symptoms but was negative. He has heart issues so his doctor ordered the test for percaution.

Most millennials here laugh, ridicule, and call names. While I do feel this has been over-exaggerated, there should still be respect.

Like me not allowing my daycare room to be used for get-togethers so they can play volleyball till all hours of the night and possibly infect my business...or laughing at people that choose to wear a mask;so disprespectful; saying things like "I dont care if my wife gets it or if my kids get it, cause it's fake and not real"; this was from a hospital millennial radiologist.

So tired of the disrespect despite all things possibly blown out of proportion. Thankfully, my niece that lives here and my nephews from Nashville have come to our aid and stand firm in protection of my large extended family.

During my cousin's death/funeral last week, many family came in from Missouri and could not believe how they were looked at for simply wearing mask. They said when they crossed the Tennessee line, you could feel the air-of-who-cares attitude.

So that kind of explains the issues at hand here. I do feel by this time all have probably been exposed but again, there needs to be respect for others despite what politics play within this covid era.

It is what it is and being disrespectful will not change it; only cause more negative effects.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-22-2020, 05:07 PM
flying_babyb's Avatar
flying_babyb flying_babyb is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 970
Default

wisconsin- Two kids at work, a teacher, a family freind (who died from it), and my best freind.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-22-2020, 06:48 PM
Former Teacher's Avatar
Former Teacher Former Teacher is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
The second wave got my small town.

I have one previous co-worker currently in ICU and one being buried this weekend. Both public safety.

I have one family member (not in my household) and one previous client with very mild symptoms and recovering well.
I am so sorry Cat Herder
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-22-2020, 08:33 PM
Pandaluver21's Avatar
Pandaluver21 Pandaluver21 is online now
Lover of all things B&W
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 301
Default

I know nobody personally.
An older couple in my church got it, one recovered quickly, the other was hospitalized. Both are doing well now.
A daycare friend a town over is currently shut down because two of her DCP have tested positive (two different families)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-22-2020, 09:46 PM
kendallina's Avatar
kendallina kendallina is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,664
Default

Small town in Ohio

Fortunately I do not know anyone personally who has tested positive. We have any 20,000 University students about to descend on our town from all over the world, so I'm concerned that will change.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-23-2020, 04:35 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,815
Default

I don't know of anyone personally; I live in a small town in Vt. The Numbers here are good, so far, with a slight increase currently. But my ds who lives in the Burlington area; they know people who have gotten it. Some have recovered and some are still battling leftover symptoms. So far, it's affected mostly nursing home residents in Vt.'s biggest city. We do now have about 6 positive cases about 10 miles from here. That might seem like small potatoes but keep in mind how quickly it spreads and that our area is rural.

I completely understand and agree that respect for both sides(aren't we all in this together?) should be shown. I haven't personally witnessed any disrespect whether a mask is worn or not, at least not locally. But I've heard lots of stories and read the news and find it appalling.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-23-2020, 06:12 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,608
Default

Last night at church, someone mentioned a family member to be added to the prayer list as his wife had recently passed from covid. Afterwards, a snarky young lady said "well, I bet she had underlying problems, and covid will be silenced after the election".

Well, she may be right but the disrespect is killing me! My niece just walked off biting her tongue, but I said "well, xxxx, maybe she did have underlying problems...and my mom is a spring chicken but I don't want to play around in case she has an underlying problem".

I told her I'm not in the debating business to see how real covid really is but I am going to take percautions to take care of my own!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-23-2020, 09:45 AM
Baby Beluga's Avatar
Baby Beluga Baby Beluga is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 3,900
Default

It has hit my city hard.

My aunt (whom my family has not seen since February) is believed to have it.

We suspect she had it - or something very similar in December as well. She was very ill with all of the classic covid symptoms. She had many tests, x-rays, antibiotics, steroids, and inhalers and was diagnosed with a viral respiratory infection. Per her the doc literally didn't know what to do. She took about 2 months to recover.

Then about a month ago she started with the same symptoms as before, this time more severe. She was tested over 12 days ago and has not received her results yet. She has not been hospitalized, but says she is very fatigued and the pressure in her chest is bad. She can keep her fever down with Tylenol but once it wears off, the fever comes back.

A friend has had 2 months of covid symptoms. Has been tested 4 times and all tests come back negative. Went to the ER 3 times and has had 5 different non-ER doctors tell her they believe she has covid and needs to be admitted to the hospital. But the hospital says she is not bad enough to be admitted. She also complains of being very fatigued, chest pain and a fever that rises to 104, then drops all day long. She was referred to a hematologist and an infectious disease specialist - both who found nothing so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
you could feel the air-of-who-cares attitude.
I have felt and witnessed this too.

Funnily enough, IME, the majority of people in affluent areas do not wear masks and have a caviler attitude toward covid. The less affluent areas are the ones where I see more mask wearing and less complaining toward practicing safety measures.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-23-2020, 10:15 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,453
Default

IME, some of the attitude shown by people is due to the oversaturation and abuse of the term COVID for political reasons. Just hearing the term sends them into irritation and vitriol.

Very similar to how the term QRIS or "Quality" feels to many of us and for similar reasons.

We all need some grace right now.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-23-2020, 11:12 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga View Post
It has hit my city hard.

My aunt (whom my family has not seen since February) is believed to have it.

We suspect she had it - or something very similar in December as well. She was very ill with all of the classic covid symptoms. She had many tests, x-rays, antibiotics, steroids, and inhalers and was diagnosed with a viral respiratory infection. Per her the doc literally didn't know what to do. She took about 2 months to recover.

Then about a month ago she started with the same symptoms as before, this time more severe. She was tested over 12 days ago and has not received her results yet. She has not been hospitalized, but says she is very fatigued and the pressure in her chest is bad. She can keep her fever down with Tylenol but once it wears off, the fever comes back.

A friend has had 2 months of covid symptoms. Has been tested 4 times and all tests come back negative. Went to the ER 3 times and has had 5 different non-ER doctors tell her they believe she has covid and needs to be admitted to the hospital. But the hospital says she is not bad enough to be admitted. She also complains of being very fatigued, chest pain and a fever that rises to 104, then drops all day long. She was referred to a hematologist and an infectious disease specialist - both who found nothing so far.



I have felt and witnessed this too.

Funnily enough, IME, the majority of people in affluent areas do not wear masks and have a caviler attitude toward covid. The less affluent areas are the ones where I see more mask wearing and less complaining toward practicing safety measures.
I know of a lady who had symptoms in January and we feel she had covid as she is still on oxygen but she is in her late sixties. She ran a temp several weeks, fatigue, wouldn't eat (no taste) and went to a pulmonologist that said it was respiratory issue, too. We want her to have the antibodies test to confirm she had covid but she doesn't want to get out to do so. There was no testing in my state in January for covid so?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-23-2020, 11:17 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
IME, some of the attitude shown by people is due to the oversaturation and abuse of the term COVID for political reasons. Just hearing the term sends them into irritation and vitriol.

Very similar to how the term QRIS or "Quality" feels to many of us and for similar reasons.

We all need some grace right now.
I agree. But the pot-shots are becoming hard to handle!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-23-2020, 11:43 AM
tenderhearts's Avatar
tenderhearts tenderhearts is offline
Daycare.com Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: HI
Posts: 1,438
Default

We know someone who tested positive for over a month (we did not have any contact with them). She had very mild symptoms and was only tested due to loss of taste. She had a low grade fever of 99 and a throat irritation for only a few days nothing else but she tested positive for over a month. Her husband never got it and neither of her kids or grand kids whom she was around a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-23-2020, 11:43 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I’m in Massachusetts. We were the first town to close school due to positive cases.

My good friend tested positive for covid. She works in a group home where a few employees came down with the virus (until they went into lockdown). She was okay, but very sick for about 10 days. She lost her taste and smell. She was weak for about 2 weeks after (winded, always tired).

One of my friends is an EMT. He caught it. Was sick for two weeks. His wife caught it, she was in the hospital for 3 days.

One of the children I care for- Her mother works in a Boston hospital. She said her floor cleared out, but it was because all of the patients died. She said the youngest victim on her floor was a 33 year old man, who had no underlying conditions. She took a leave of absence at work and she is keeping her child home to social distance.

My uncle does not believe the virus is a problem (he considers it the flu). He just held a large graduation party at his lake house. My immediate family declined the invite. My other uncle took my grandmother. No social distancing. The young adults were all playing beer pong. Two young adults have become sick so far, tested positive for covid. Now, my grandmother is in quarantine because she was in the group (more so around my young cousins who were hugging her etc...)

Last edited by Michael; 07-23-2020 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Changed dick to sick
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-06-2020, 03:01 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,693
Default

Well, I finally have someone in my immediate family that has COVID-19. My 1st cousin's husband was tested because of someone that he knew had a gathering that he attended that had tested positive for it. My cousin lives in Atlanta and was asymptomatic and didn't even know he had it. His wife nor his two teenage daughters have it.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-06-2020, 04:08 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
One of the children I care for- Her mother works in a Boston hospital. She said her floor cleared out, but it was because all of the patients died.
I'm in MA, too. During the surge, my husband and I had gone out for groceries. While we were in the store, I looked for a card to sent to my stepmother who is in a nursing home to let her know we were thinking of her. My husband called me over to look at the sympathy card section of the display. Where there had always been a large, full section of cards prior to the surge, there wasn't a single sympathy card left to buy. It was such a small thing in the overall scheme of things but it was one of those things that spoke volumes without needing any words.

I was just talking to one of my brothers last night. He called to let me know that another brother of ours went to the hospital with COVID-like symptoms. (He's since tested negative. Hopefully, the results are accurate.) The brother who called me has worked as a paramedic and director of clinical services for an ambulance company that operates throughout this area. As I understand it, one of his responsibilities is to review all of the reports that are turned in by the EMTs and paramedics who go out on calls. He's amazed by what he sees in their reports. He said he shakes his head when he hears people comparing COVID to the flu. He said, "In the 23 years I've worked in this job, I've experienced many flu seasons and some of them have been bad but I've never seen anything like this!"
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-06-2020, 08:02 PM
Pandaluver21's Avatar
Pandaluver21 Pandaluver21 is online now
Lover of all things B&W
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21 View Post
I know nobody personally.
An older couple in my church got it, one recovered quickly, the other was hospitalized. Both are doing well now.
A daycare friend a town over is currently shut down because two of her DCP have tested positive (two different families)
My friend, her son, and her husband got it. Her and her son had no symptoms, her husband is currently in ICU
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-07-2020, 07:04 AM
coloradoprovider's Avatar
coloradoprovider coloradoprovider is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 94
Default Covid

I live in a large metropolitan area (Denver Colorado metro) and I know of 1 couple from my church that had it; they have since recovered. I shut down my childcare from March to May. Masks are a government order for public spaces. I see very good compliance in stores. I hate the debate over masks - even if they're only somewhat effective, something is better than nothing. The selfishness of some people is staggering, just wear a mask; get over yourself! I hope that with basic measures, we can come out of this pandemic soon.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-07-2020, 04:29 PM
Valerie928's Avatar
Valerie928 Valerie928 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: New York
Posts: 321
Default

I know a mother age 39, married with 6 kids who tested positive, her only symptoms were feeling feverish and loss of smell. She passed it on to only her husband and 2 of the 6 kids. All mild cases. A friend of mine owns a restaurant and caught covid back in April. Again mild and he did not pass it on to his wife or 2 children. Another couple I know had covid last month and just had cold symptoms. I personally am not worried for me or my husband and kids. If we catch we will be fine. My cousin works at a large children's hospital in an adjacent city to me and they have not seen any covid, sadly just a spike in abuse cases. My friend works directly with dialysis patients who are covid positive and she has been A-OK too. I live in NY
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-23-2020, 09:36 PM
Pandaluver21's Avatar
Pandaluver21 Pandaluver21 is online now
Lover of all things B&W
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 301
Default

I went from not knowing anyone personally, to knowing several people in the last month.
1 family of 2 adults and 7 kids. All but the baby got it I believe. 1 adult went to the hospital, but has gone home.
1 family of 2 adults, one of them visiting their adult daughter and her two girls. Both adults and the adult daughter got it. One adult is in ICU.
1 family (that runs a daycare) both adults and son got it. 1 adult was in ICU for a while, but is home now.
1 family with 2 adults and 3 kids. Both adults and oldest daughter have it.
1 older gentleman, he has passed away (last week)

So 18 people in the last month... not to mention the "friends of friends" that have it :|
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-24-2020, 03:55 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21 View Post
I went from not knowing anyone personally, to knowing several people in the last month.
1 family of 2 adults and 7 kids. All but the baby got it I believe. 1 adult went to the hospital, but has gone home.
1 family of 2 adults, one of them visiting their adult daughter and her two girls. Both adults and the adult daughter got it. One adult is in ICU.
1 family (that runs a daycare) both adults and son got it. 1 adult was in ICU for a while, but is home now.
1 family with 2 adults and 3 kids. Both adults and oldest daughter have it.
1 older gentleman, he has passed away (last week)

So 18 people in the last month... not to mention the "friends of friends" that have it :|
Scary. All within a month.
Good luck to all of them and sorry about the one who passed.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-24-2020, 06:16 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
Scary. All within a month.
Good luck to all of them and sorry about the one who passed.
My aunt was in the hospital for five days this past week with covid. She is still sleeping in recliner with oxygen due to breathing issues. She is 66. We call to check on her but doctor has advised for her not to be around anyone or anyone be around her since no one really knows about covid and they are learning as they go. She had tested positive and was in quarantine and on the 12th day of quarantine she took a turn for the worse and ended up in the hospital so it's been a while she has been struggling.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-24-2020, 07:53 AM
Snowmom's Avatar
Snowmom Snowmom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,654
Default

My heart breaks for these stories.

I wasn't sure how to personally answer the poll.
I was sick in March and there wasn't any testing available here. I was told that I had pneumonia from my X-rays. They suspected it might be covid, but my O2 was at 94 and I didn't have a temp at the time. I had severe breathing issues. I was in/out of the ER in a two week period because I felt like I was suffocating. Prednisone and a Z-pack didn't touch this.
I have had pneumonia before, this felt so much different. Usually, I feel chest heavy and slight short of breath with it (I have asthma). This was a panic inducing suffocation. I was exhausted, pale, could barely talk without having to take several deep breaths for one sentence. Two weeks prior, I had an intense sore throat for a day and a mild temp of 100. For a day!
The "after" has lasted one and off for 4 months. Dr's are saying it's my asthma. I don't believe it. Asthma for me is attacks- short attacks that my inhaler has controlled for decades. I have had two (negative) CV tests now in the past couple months since as I still have some lingering issues that come/go ("asthma"- they switched my meds again that are surprise, of no help).

My mom is one of the conspiracy theorists about this pandemic. She tells me "see, you had it and you didn't die."

But I tell her- I wanted to.
It was that frightening.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-24-2020, 07:57 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmom View Post
My heart breaks for these stories.

I wasn't sure how to personally answer the poll.
I was sick in March and there wasn't any testing available here. I was told that I had pneumonia from my X-rays. They suspected it might be covid, but my O2 was at 94 and I didn't have a temp at the time. I had severe breathing issues. I was in/out of the ER in a two week period because I felt like I was suffocating. Prednisone and a Z-pack didn't touch this.
I have had pneumonia before, this felt so much different. Usually, I feel chest heavy and slight short of breath with it (I have asthma). This was a panic inducing suffocation. I was exhausted, pale, could barely talk without having to take several deep breaths for one sentence. Two weeks prior, I had an intense sore throat for a day and a mild temp of 100. For a day!
The "after" has lasted one and off for 4 months. Dr's are saying it's my asthma. I don't believe it. Asthma for me is attacks- short attacks that my inhaler has controlled for decades. I have had two (negative) CV tests now in the past couple months since as I still have some lingering issues that come/go ("asthma"- they switched my meds again that are surprise, of no help).

My mom is one of the conspiracy theorists about this pandemic. She tells me "see, you had it and you didn't die."

But I tell her- I wanted to.
It was that frightening.
My aunt is scared, too, as we are for her!!! She sounds so weak when we talk to her.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-24-2020, 11:23 AM
Snowmom's Avatar
Snowmom Snowmom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
My aunt is scared, too, as we are for her!!! She sounds so weak when we talk to her.
I'm so sorry she's going through this! I hope they're taking good care of her! It sounds so different for everyone with no rhyme/reason.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-24-2020, 11:48 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
My aunt is scared, too, as we are for her!!! She sounds so weak when we talk to her.
I hope she recovers fully and soon.
I'm your aunt's age and can only imagine how she feels emotionally, how scary it must be for her and how helpless all of you must feel. Take care of yourself!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-09-2020, 06:36 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,628
Default

Just had a day care parent call me today saying her child tested positive. He's got a mild case - just cough and some congestion for now. Also got a call from the board of health telling me I need to close for the next 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-09-2020, 07:18 PM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
Just had a day care parent call me today saying her child tested positive. He's got a mild case - just cough and some congestion for now. Also got a call from the board of health telling me I need to close for the next 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-09-2020, 07:56 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,628
Default

Thanks, Annalee. I'm praying no one else here gets it.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 09-09-2020, 09:30 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
Just had a day care parent call me today saying her child tested positive. He's got a mild case - just cough and some congestion for now. Also got a call from the board of health telling me I need to close for the next 2 weeks.
Sorry to hear that. Seems like, while some have bad effects from the virus, most people I know that have had it show little effects. Los Angeles County basically just canceled Halloween here. No door to door trick or treating.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-10-2020, 05:08 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
Thanks, Annalee. I'm praying no one else here gets it.
Stay healthy!!
Former dcm has a relative who's a teacher in Ga. She said they sent a student home diagnosed with Covid and act like it's no big deal.
Are people becoming desensitized about it? I hope not because then they tend to let their guard down and take their fortunate good health for granted.
Whether or not people are taking this seriously enough, there are others to think about protecting and being respectful of that. We're all here as a society, a population, not individuals. We're sharing this planet. We have to remember it's not just about us.

Stay safe everyone!!!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-10-2020, 07:14 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
Just had a day care parent call me today saying her child tested positive. He's got a mild case - just cough and some congestion for now. Also got a call from the board of health telling me I need to close for the next 2 weeks.
I am so sorry.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-10-2020, 07:51 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
Just had a day care parent call me today saying her child tested positive. He's got a mild case - just cough and some congestion for now. Also got a call from the board of health telling me I need to close for the next 2 weeks.
this is my worst fear right now...


Stay healthy and safe! I am keeping you and your family in my prayers
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-10-2020, 11:28 AM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,628
Default

Thanks, everyone. I'm not freaking out yet since I have no symptoms and my own family members haven't developed any so far. It is a concern for us, though. The guys are doing ok with it but my dd is very upset. Not sure I want to close my day care permanently at this point but I'll definitely be using the next 2 weeks to look into job openings in the area to see what's out there. Stay healthy everyone!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 09-10-2020, 11:33 AM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
this is my worst fear right now...


Stay healthy and safe! I am keeping you and your family in my prayers
Thanks; we can use them!
How's your dd doing? Unless I'm mistaken, I thought you had said she's a nurse working in a COVID unit - or is my memory off?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-10-2020, 11:41 AM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
Whether or not people are taking this seriously enough, there are others to think about protecting and being respectful of that. We're all here as a society, a population, not individuals. We're sharing this planet. We have to remember it's not just about us.

I wish more people thought the same.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-10-2020, 03:37 PM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post

I wish more people thought the same.
I agree! My cousins 'think' I'm worried about dying but I'm not; I am, however, 'concerned' about my livelihood/child care business and my sons' educations.

Real or not real, covid has affected many people/families/businesses/lives, in general.

There is no respect here for covid nor what it has caused and I find that sad. I told a cousin who posted a derogatory remark about covid and how people are scared on social media today that 'what he is saying is true but the cold-heartedness from this post makes me worry about his feeling for people'.

Maybe I'm a fuddy-duddy but this is how I feel!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-10-2020, 04:45 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
I agree! My cousins 'think' I'm worried about dying but I'm not; I am, however, 'concerned' about my livelihood/child care business and my sons' educations.

Real or not real, covid has affected many people/families/businesses/lives, in general.

There is no respect here for covid nor what it has caused and I find that sad. I told a cousin who posted a derogatory remark about covid and how people are scared on social media today that 'what he is saying is true but the cold-heartedness from this post makes me worry about his feeling for people'.

Maybe I'm a fuddy-duddy but this is how I feel!
I guess maybe I'm a fuddy-duddy, too, then.
When I reopened my day care, one of my dcds told me, "A few years from now, we're going to be looking back and shaking our heads saying, "We could have avoided so much of this. All we had to do was wear a mask and distance ourselves for a little while until the virus died down. It was such a little thing to have to do and it's so sad we didn't do it when it would have made the most impact."
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-10-2020, 06:08 PM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
I guess maybe I'm a fuddy-duddy, too, then.
When I reopened my day care, one of my dcds told me, "A few years from now, we're going to be looking back and shaking our heads saying, "We could have avoided so much of this. All we had to do was wear a mask and distance ourselves for a little while until the virus died down. It was such a little thing to have to do and it's so sad we didn't do it when it would have made the most impact."
I tell my cousins "I can only deal in the present" and I have to make wise choices as my choices affects my own family first and then my business which really affects my family, too.

Maybe down the road, I will think how SILLY my own choices were, BUT I could also look back and think how SMART my choices were.

Their main argument is "everyone is gonna die someday somehow so". Well I am not gonna stand on a railroad track thinking "well I gotta die somehow" or drive down the road doing 120 thinking "well I gotta die somehow".

That argument doesn't make sense. I believe in prayer, too, but I also believe I am expected to make WISE choices so???

Just gotta quit debating the issue with them I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 09-10-2020, 08:18 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
Maybe down the road, I will think how SILLY my own choices were, BUT I could also look back and think how SMART my choices were.
Err on the side of caution. It doesn't kill me to wear a mask or socially distance. Not doing it could kill me or someone I love. It's an easy choice for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
Their main argument is "everyone is gonna die someday somehow so". Well I am not gonna stand on a railroad track thinking "well I gotta die somehow" or drive down the road doing 120 thinking "well I gotta die somehow".
I'm with you! lol They're right; everyone is going to die but my feeling is why rush it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
That argument doesn't make sense. I believe in prayer, too, but I also believe I am expected to make WISE choices so???
Same. I was taught, "God helps those who help themselves."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
Just gotta quit debating the issue with them I guess.
Yeah...they seem to have their minds made up. I doubt there's anything you can say that will change their minds.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 09-11-2020, 06:03 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
Err on the side of caution. It doesn't kill me to wear a mask or socially distance. Not doing it could kill me or someone I love. It's an easy choice for me.


I'm with you! lol They're right; everyone is going to die but my feeling is why rush it?!


Same. I was taught, "God helps those who help themselves."


Yeah...they seem to have their minds made up. I doubt there's anything you can say that will change their minds.
Absolutely; plus if someone within my circle gets it, regardless of how sick they are, my business has to shut down.....already happened twice this year in April and May and four other days waiting on dh test which was negative. That's reason enough for me to wear a mask and make wise choices!

Until the government changes protocol for covid, this is how I have to operate!
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 09-11-2020, 07:50 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
Thanks; we can use them!
How's your dd doing? Unless I'm mistaken, I thought you had said she's a nurse working in a COVID unit - or is my memory off?
Thank you for asking! She is doing well.
She's been tested 4 times and had to quarantine twice.
Thankfully all tests have come back negative and the quarantine time has just been annoying but doable.

She adopted a couple of rescue cats that have had a rough start to life so having to quarantine has given her the time to really bond with them. It's been a blessing in disguise for all of them.

Hoping your family doesn't get it... your situation is exactly what I am sure we all fear most. All it takes is one person (child or adult) to get it and spread it to others and then everyone has to stress/hope and pray. .... It's a perfect example of how one person can impact too many others!


Last edited by Michael; 09-11-2020 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Changed to - too
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 09-11-2020, 11:26 AM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Thank you for asking! She is doing well.
She's been tested 4 times and had to quarantine twice.
Thankfully all tests have come back negative and the quarantine time has just been annoying but doable.

She adopted a couple of rescue cats that have had a rough start to life so having to quarantine has given her the time to really bond with them. It's been a blessing in disguise for all of them.

Hoping your family doesn't get it... your situation is exactly what I am sure we all fear most. All it takes is one person (child or adult) to get it and spread it to others and then everyone has to stress/hope and pray. .... It's a perfect example of how one person can impact to many others!

Exactly!

I'm relieved to hear your dd has tested negative each time - and that she's getting some bonding time with her rescue cats. (My dd has 2 rescue cats as well. One is a tuxedo cat who is an absolute love! I was upset when she announced she had adopted him without checking with my husband and me first but now I can't imagine not having him around. The other isn't quite so lovable! My dd has been working to earn her trust and she's made a lot of progress with her but the rest of us get hisses and growls if we so much as look her way. She's kept well away from the day care areas of the house. I can't say I'll miss that one when my dd gets her own place and brings the cat with her! lol)

I was thinking of your son as well. Hopefully he and the rest of your own family are doing ok, too. So far, we're all doing well. Despite a few close calls at work over the summer and now this current situation in my day care, we've been fine. Crossing my fingers it will stay that way!
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 09-11-2020, 01:50 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,308
Default

My Aunt caught it in a nursing home. Was in the ICU Covid unit for 10 days then a regular floor. She tested negative, returned to the Nursing Home and passed two days later. She was not counted as a Covid death in Arizona. She was elderly but was doing well for her age until it ransacked her nursing home.

The nursing home deal is a bad one. My Dad and his sister are the only living siblings now and neither of them could travel to her or be there because neither the hospital or nursing home allowed visitors. They did not get to say goodbye.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 09-11-2020, 02:06 PM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
My Aunt caught it in a nursing home. Was in the ICU Covid unit for 10 days then a regular floor. She tested negative, returned to the Nursing Home and passed two days later. She was not counted as a Covid death in Arizona. She was elderly but was doing well for her age until it ransacked her nursing home.

The nursing home deal is a bad one. My Dad and his sister are the only living siblings now and neither of them could travel to her or be there because neither the hospital or nursing home allowed visitors. They did not get to say goodbye.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 09-11-2020, 03:32 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
My Aunt caught it in a nursing home. Was in the ICU Covid unit for 10 days then a regular floor. She tested negative, returned to the Nursing Home and passed two days later. She was not counted as a Covid death in Arizona. She was elderly but was doing well for her age until it ransacked her nursing home.

The nursing home deal is a bad one. My Dad and his sister are the only living siblings now and neither of them could travel to her or be there because neither the hospital or nursing home allowed visitors. They did not get to say goodbye.
I'm so sorry. I think one of the worst things about this virus is the number of people having to die alone because it's unsafe for family or friends to say their goodbyes.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coronavirus - symptoms, covid-19, poll

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do You Require Children to be Tested for Covid? LeslieG Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 12 07-16-2020 04:22 PM
Food at Daycare Poll dhsu25 Parents and Guardians Forum 15 05-12-2016 05:42 AM
Weekly vs. Monthly - a Poll Msdunny Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 31 11-06-2013 01:31 PM
Poll: Vacation/Holidays/Sick Days spud912 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 18 10-07-2013 03:29 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:55 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming