Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teacher's Kids
HaveaHoot 08:57 AM 06-12-2012
I have a spot opening up in August and I have a teacher who is interested in interviewing for her child. I was wondering how people charged teachers? Do you charge them during their breaks? She doesn't plan on bringing her child during her time out of school.

I'm not sure if we can take her if we will go long periods of time without their weekly income but at the same time don't see her wanting to pay for long periods of time he isn't here. The age and hours sound perfect for us though.
AnneCordelia 09:07 AM 06-12-2012
I will only take on one teachers family at a time, because I enjoy lighter summers when my older kids are out of school.

Teachers here pay every single week from the first week in September until the last week in June. The fees that are paid for Christmas Break and Spring Break go towards holding their spot for September, so that they do not pay during the summer. However, the children are not to attend during those breaks.

This works out to $50 or so cheaper than paying half fees during the summer to hold the spot, which is the norm for my area. Teachers family get no free vacation time to use during the school year.
littlemissmuffet 09:32 AM 06-12-2012
I charge the same for teachers as I do anyone else - month to month payments all year long, all stats, holidays, vacation and illness time is still paid.
Blackcat31 11:33 AM 06-12-2012
I charge the same rate for teachers as I do everyone else, however the teacher families are given the option of dividing what their yearly rate would be into 9 months or they can pay it over 12 months.

Either way it makes no difference to me.
momma2girls 11:46 AM 06-12-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I charge the same rate for teachers as I do everyone else, however the teacher families are given the option of dividing what their yearly rate would be into 9 months or they can pay it over 12 months.

Either way it makes no difference to me.
When you allow them to pay for the entire Summer, they can choose to come to you all summer long, correct?
momma2girls 11:47 AM 06-12-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I charge the same for teachers as I do anyone else - month to month payments all year long, all stats, holidays, vacation and illness time is still paid.
Then they will come all SUmmer to you as well?
HappyPennie 12:24 PM 06-12-2012
Originally Posted by HaveaHoot:
I have a spot opening up in August and I have a teacher who is interested in interviewing for her child. I was wondering how people charged teachers? Do you charge them during their breaks? She doesn't plan on bringing her child during her time out of school.

I'm not sure if we can take her if we will go long periods of time without their weekly income but at the same time don't see her wanting to pay for long periods of time he isn't here. The age and hours sound perfect for us though.
I had to recently come up with a summer contract myself due to one of my families being out for the summer because the mom works at the school. After searching forums I decided to charge a holding fee of $50/week and the child is allowed to come 2 days each week, anything beyond two days is charged at my drop in rate. I can't afford to hold a spot for free. Good luck, I hope you find a solution that works for you
momma2girls 12:37 PM 06-12-2012
Originally Posted by HappyPennie:
I had to recently come up with a summer contract myself due to one of my families being out for the summer because the mom works at the school. After searching forums I decided to charge a holding fee of $50/week and the child is allowed to come 2 days each week, anything beyond two days is charged at my drop in rate. I can't afford to hold a spot for free. Good luck, I hope you find a solution that works for you
THis $50.00 is fine, but you are not really getting anything extra to hold their fulltime spot- they are coming 2 days per week in place of it. I have gone around and around with this, and I havne't come up with a solution yet!! If I charged them 1/2 the rate, maybe set that they can come once per week??? Charge them full rate and they come fulltime?? I can't believe anyone would be off all Summer and take their children to daycare every single day, but my one family would!! Only charge a holding fee or a deposit, to hold their spot for fulltime next yr.?? This is such a hard decision on what exactly to do with having the Summers off. I know if I even said an amt. for the Summer, they would want their children here for those days, and every day!!
Blackcat31 03:34 PM 06-12-2012
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
When you allow them to pay for the entire Summer, they can choose to come to you all summer long, correct?
Yep, it is their space regardless of which option they choose so they are free to use it as they see fit. Some still come and others don't. I have had both sides.
Crazy8 06:22 PM 06-12-2012
I like the lighter summer schedule and don't mind the 2 month drop in pay so I do not charge for the summer. They do pay for winter and spring breaks though, can bring the child or not. I have had years where I have a few teachers kids and years where I have none, this year is a none year. I am dreading my M-F 7-5 summer so much I've offered up some options to take days off without charge!
cheerfuldom 07:55 PM 06-12-2012
I wouldnt charge for the summer either but also, I wouldnt take more than one kid from a teacher at a time. After I get licensed, I would consider taking two or three mainly because my school ager(s) will be home and need more attention so it would be nice if a few others were gone during that time
littlemissmuffet 08:03 PM 06-12-2012
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
Then they will come all SUmmer to you as well?
They can if they wish.
Reply Up