Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Driveways
mema 10:34 AM 04-03-2014
Does anyone not let families pull into their driveway? I'm not sure which family it is (I think I have an idea tho), but there are a bunch of drippings on the driveway. Could be oil, washer fluid, transmission, not sure, but I don't want it all over my driveway.
Shell 10:46 AM 04-03-2014
Nope! I used to allow it, but stopped for the following reasons: Dcm used to sit parked in driveway for over 15 minutes chatting on her cell, a dcd almost hit my car pulling in too fast, oil marks on driveway, too, a parent almost backing out into my neighbor, and the dcm that would stare into my house. They all park in the street now -I'm sure you can see why
CraftyMom 10:52 AM 04-03-2014
I want to make this rule...how do I say it nicely?

Now is the best time to adjust my policies since I only have 2 families at the moment, the parking in the driveway is one I want to change.

Only 2 families, but at least 9 different pick up/drop off people!
countrymom 10:57 AM 04-03-2014
I have a 4 carlength driveway and 2.5 cars wide, why do parents think they need to park in the middle of the driveway and then complain when others park behind them.
Shell 11:05 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:

Now is the best time to adjust my policies since I only have 2 families at the moment, the parking in the driveway is one I want to change.

With the older families (the offenders) I talked specifically to them about issues- like nearly running down a neighbor, but I still had offenders. I finally put up a few cones blocking the driveway and explained it is for everyone's safety that they park in the street ( I live in a circle anyway), just in case a child is playing outside.
They seemed to understand and be concerned about the fact that we ride bikes in the driveway/do chalk, etc. and that you never can be too safe. It took a little time, as parents couldn't fathom walking an extra 20 steps, but they did get the hang of it.

I have one that still tries it in the winter or on rainy days. I remind her of the rule, and she always comes up with some excuse under her breath. Out comes the darn cone up when it happens, and then she's back on board.

New families, it just is the way it is- never had a complaint!
Blackcat31 11:06 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:

"Dear DCF's

Beginning Monday April 14th, ALL parents will be required to park on the street. Parking in the family driveway will no longer be an option during drop offs and pick ups.

Parents may park anywhere along 8th Avenue and/or 4th Street. Please be considerate of any neighbors and their adjacent properties. Do NOT block their driveways and/or enter onto their property while making your stop at ABC Child Care.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at any time.

Thank you!

Provider"

Unregistered 11:07 AM 04-03-2014
My contract says something along the lines of: due to the various work hours of the different family members of this home please do not block any cars at any time of the day.Had to remind a parent this week...Hubs procrastinates and needed to leave when he needed to...this parent decides to'chat'.....other times someone has come home and wanted to park for the night and cannot because some parent is in the way(usually a nasty weather day). Same families all the time.....and they always make a comment about doing it.....and knowing they should not and still do. Guess I need to post a note on the door.Thanks all.
CraftyMom 11:27 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by mema:
Does anyone not let families pull into their driveway? I'm not sure which family it is (I think I have an idea tho), but there are a bunch of drippings on the driveway. Could be oil, washer fluid, transmission, not sure, but I don't want it all over my driveway.
My husband was noticing oil in our driveway a couple days ago, not from either of our cars, and got upset and doesn't want anyone in the driveway anymore. That and he gets blocked in sometimes and has to wait. And like someone else mentioned, our driveway is 2 cars wide and 3 cars long, but they park dead center!
Second Home 11:31 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I have a 4 carlength driveway and 2.5 cars wide, why do parents think they need to park in the middle of the driveway and then complain when others park behind them.
This is exactly what I get . My driveway is 90 ft long and fits 3 cars across at the end . Nope they park right in the middle .

I just added this to mine -
If your car is leaking oil or any type of chemical, please park along the street and not in my driveway while picking up and/or dropping off your child. Children use the driveway to play while waiting for the bus and parent/guardian pick up.
mema 11:55 AM 04-03-2014
For those that have implemented it after parents being able to, how did they take it? I worry when they go to the street too. Usually during the warmer months when we are out there, I block it since we like to play on it, but the kids tend to run into the street when walking back with mom or dad. They would never do that with me, but mom and dad, well, ya know.
LadyPearl 12:35 PM 04-03-2014
I would like to have this policy as well but I live on a narrow street. Parking on the street means parking in the road and blocking a lane. It would be tight for the school bus and garbage truck. Would you care? (I live in Vermont and snow/snow plows also need to be considered.)

I like the idea of no cars in my driveway because unexpected pick-ups/drop-offs could hit my dog. We have a vehicle that, I think, was almost hit during a pick-up when a grandma whipped into my driveway. (My driveway curves a bit where we park our truck and I don't think she saw it. There is plenty of time to see it if you are not flying in.)
caregiver 12:53 PM 04-03-2014
I guess I do things a little different in my daycare for families as I only have 2 families. I guess I run more of a, not sure how to phrase it, but more home friendly kind of daycare then run it more like a business, which I should run it more as a business I guess. But anyway I like to make the parents feel comfortable and not feel like their child is being taken care of by a business, but a person who is caring for their child,and maybe this still isn't the right way to put it. Maybe after doing daycare for 30 yrs now, I just am not so fussy about things as I used to be with certain things connected to daycare.
My husband & I don't care if parents use our driveway,I would rather they use the driveway then the street as kids seem to like to run right into the street and parents don't seem to chase after them, just tell them to get out of the street. I have had parents that will park in the street and I will encourage them to park in the driveway, it is fine with me.
I guess with such a small daycare I am pretty laid back and don't let things get to me like I did in the past. My daycare parents have all been pretty good with following my rules and have never given me any hassles as some of the parents you ladies have had to deal with.
mema 01:57 PM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by care giver:
I guess I do things a little different in my daycare for families as I only have 2 families. I guess I run more of a, not sure how to phrase it, but more home friendly kind of daycare then run it more like a business, which I should run it more as a business I guess. But anyway I like to make the parents feel comfortable and not feel like their child is being taken care of by a business, but a person who is caring for their child,and maybe this still isn't the right way to put it. Maybe after doing daycare for 30 yrs now, I just am not so fussy about things as I used to be with certain things connected to daycare.
My husband & I don't care if parents use our driveway,I would rather they use the driveway then the street as kids seem to like to run right into the street and parents don't seem to chase after them, just tell them to get out of the street. I have had parents that will park in the street and I will encourage them to park in the driveway, it is fine with me.
I guess with such a small daycare I am pretty laid back and don't let things get to me like I did in the past. My daycare parents have all been pretty good with following my rules and have never given me any hassles as some of the parents you ladies have had to deal with.
I don't think of it as more home friendly vs more business like. I'm a small care also, 4 or 5 instead of the 12, but I don't like stains on my driveway. The kids also like to chalk and crawl around with cars and such. I don't think they should have to play in chemicals. I've never had a problem with them parking there, but now that someone is leaking something, I do. I think I know whose car it is and he is also one that all winter kicked the crap built up by his tires off in my driveway. Figured instead of singling him out, I would just make it a policy for everyone.
TwinKristi 02:07 PM 04-03-2014
I only have one mom who would pull into our driveway, but she would do it half-way and all crooked! Our street sucks for parking because our neighbors have like 8 cars. We have 3 but usually 2 in the driveway and 1 on the street. We recently moved the basketball hoop we had so maybe we can fit another car. Everyone else parks the wrong direction blocking our driveway or on the street.
countrymom 03:25 PM 04-03-2014
So since my driveway is so big I had a mom (who I termed last year after one week) who would drive on my neighbours yard all the time. I guess she needed a driveway that was ten cars wide to turn her little car.
melonieb 08:06 AM 04-08-2014
All my parents use my drive way. It only holds two vehicles and my suburban is one of them. Its actually funny because I have two families come at the same time and one is in the drive way and the other is on the street. Now when my husband is home and in our driveway, all parents park on the street. I have had at most four families here at the same time and there are no issues. Early bird gets the worm.
Crazy8 08:15 AM 04-08-2014
Originally Posted by care giver:
This is how I see it too. I try not to over-regulate things, I don't have a "rule" for everything. I have no issue with parents pulling in my driveway, its a courtesy/convenience of coming to a home daycare vs. a center with a big parking lot. Occassionally it has blocked my DH in when he needs to leave but they will apologize and be quick to leave. If he's ever at the point where he can't wait 2 minutes that's his fault!
Kimskiddos 08:18 AM 04-08-2014
I too have a very long double wide driveway. Families are allowed to use it (I have a very small group) but if someone starts leaving oil or fluids I kindly ask them to park on the street because we do play on there sometimes. Happily I do have plenty of parking on the street too.

It is funny how some people just don't know how to park. Had more than one dcp that would park smack in the middle of the driveway at pickup time and clog up my big driveway for everyone!
Jack Sprat 11:53 AM 04-08-2014
I don't care if parents use the driveway. Just don't walk on my lawn!!!! I have a wide drive and a sidewalk that comes directly to the front door. Use it! Also, don't block so much of the drive that my DH can't pull his car in. He gets a little grumpy about this and has no problem asking parents to pull up so he can pull in.
Unregistered 11:53 AM 04-08-2014
I used to let parents park in my driveway, but recently several zoom in and back out without looking, and I am worried about whether I have any liability if they hurt someone or their car. Busy street and lots of pedestrians, and they pull in like it's the Indy 500 pitstop.

I put a short line in my policy book, under "client responsibilities" and gave each parent the new page with the line highlighted. My contract says I can change my policy as needed, by notifying the parents.
originalkat 12:16 PM 04-08-2014
Originally Posted by Kimskiddos:
I too have a very long double wide driveway. Families are allowed to use it (I have a very small group) but if someone starts leaving oil or fluids I kindly ask them to park on the street because we do play on there sometimes. Happily I do have plenty of parking on the street too.

It is funny how some people just don't know how to park. Had more than one dcp that would park smack in the middle of the driveway at pickup time and clog up my big driveway for everyone!
Yep, I could have written this exact post (except I have 8 kiddos). Our drive is very long and our house sits back pretty far from the street. Parents are free to park there but I ask that they do not block anyone in and park on the street if there are cars already in the drive. They sometimes still block people in, but they are also super quick and apologize.

Leaking fluids=Polite request to park on the street...not a rule for everyone. BUT that is what works for me and my setting. Parking convenience for busy parents is important IMO. But if the house is not far from the street and there is safe parking then I do not see an issue with having parents park there.
Tags:driveways
Reply Up