Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Chairs with Backs?
spinnymarie 07:05 AM 06-27-2014
Is anyone else required to have these? In IL our infants are 6 wks to 15m per licensing, and the first item on my list of required supplies is
1. sufficient infant-sized tables and chairs with backs for infants able to sit alone. One chair per infant; no folding chairs.

Anyone know what this means?
Heidi 07:09 AM 06-27-2014
That could mean clip-on chairs or booster seats, or it could mean child-sized chairs such as these:
http://www.communityplaythings.com/p...5-medoit-chair

I don't know if any state REQUIRES the little chairs, though. In WI, the QRIS/FCCERS recommends it. It's + points for sure.

If you have a mixed age group, it's a real challenge to have proportionate tables and chairs for all the ages, and also do family style dining. Especially if space is limited.

LysesKids 08:01 AM 06-27-2014
First off I don't know any infant that can sit by themselves before 4 or 5 months, so in my eyes that is useless... you are suppose to hold a baby when they eat if they are that young. Even when I was a registered infant childcare in Galena, IL (2008-2010) I didn't have to do this.

I also feed my kids family style, but I have special seats/boosters called Minui Handysitts http://www.diapers.com/p/productname-19946

They have an infant cushion addition for about 50 that has a 5 part harness instead of the 3 point. Spendy, but Eco friendly and mine have been used over 4 years now... they are holding up like no other booster I've seen

Blackcat31 08:05 AM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
First off I don't know any infant that can sit by themselves before 4 or 5 months, so in my eyes that is useless... you are suppose to hold a baby when they eat if they are that young. Even when I was a registered infant childcare in Galena, IL (2008-2010) I didn't have to do this.

I also feed my kids family style, but I have special seats/boosters called Minui Handysitts http://www.diapers.com/p/productname-19946

They have an infant cushion addition for about 50 that has a 5 part harness instead of the 3 point. Spendy, but Eco friendly and mine have been used over 4 years now... they are holding up like no other booster I've seen
When I click on your link, it says those chairs were discontinued by vendor. I am not sure if they are available through another or not.

ETA: I googled them and found a couple other vendors that still carry them.
http://www.albeebaby.com/minui.html

They are really cute and what nice option. VERY storable too!
spinnymarie 08:10 AM 06-27-2014
I agree with everyone - it seems very strange to me as well. We have high chairs, but those are listed separately from this item?
I would assume it is those tiny 5" chairs, but those are super expensive so I def don't want to buy them if I don't have to, and, again, I see no real purpose...
Just wondering if anyone else ran into this
Here is what I'm looking at: http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/...8ZZ9996dR.html
The very first thing there at that link.
Actually, there are MANY things I'm confused about, TBH. I guess a call to licensing is in order, but I assumed this could be easily figured out?
Heidi 08:20 AM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
I agree with everyone - it seems very strange to me as well. We have high chairs, but those are listed separately from this item?
I would assume it is those tiny 5" chairs, but those are super expensive so I def don't want to buy them if I don't have to, and, again, I see no real purpose...
Just wondering if anyone else ran into this
Here is what I'm looking at: http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/...8ZZ9996dR.html
The very first thing there at that link.
Actually, there are MANY things I'm confused about, TBH. I guess a call to licensing is in order, but I assumed this could be easily figured out?
That is SO poorly written! So much open to interpretation there! Why would you need high chairs AND infant sized chairs? It should be high chairs, booster seats, OR infant sized chairs.

Also...WALKERS are on the list, although optional. They aren't banned here; but certainly their use is discouraged now-a-days. I also find it weird that "adult rocker" is specified. I mean, sure, you need a piece of adult furniture, but it MUST be a rocker?

LOL: I should really stop reading! It says "phonograph" and "records (at least 6)". yeah, right! They should have written "Victrola"
spinnymarie 08:45 AM 06-27-2014
Yes, thank you! It is SOOO poorly written and out of date that I can't even understand SO many of them, and it is ridiculously open to interpretation.
I'm just going to be SO annoyed if I did something wrong and need them to come back, we have a tight deadline here!
LOL at Victrola. Definitely a requirement for modern infant care
LysesKids 08:50 AM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
When I click on your link, it says those chairs were discontinued by vendor. I am not sure if they are available through another or not.

ETA: I googled them and found a couple other vendors that still carry them.
http://www.albeebaby.com/minui.html

They are really cute and what nice option. VERY storable too!
I got them directly from Minui originally... they came into the states from Europe in 2010 when I first got them. Amazon has a few also

They clean up nice
spinnymarie 09:13 AM 06-27-2014
Do they fold? We can't have folding chairs either.

ETA: NM I understand the chair now, it took me a while IMU they are generally supposed to be on a regular dining chair, correct? And you can buy extensions to put them on the floor?
However, I don't see how they'd be better than a high chair and/or the infant sized 5" chairs above, at least in my situation. But they are awfully cute.
LysesKids 09:44 AM 06-27-2014
Do they fold? We can't have folding chairs either.

ETA: NM I understand the chair now, it took me a while IMU they are generally supposed to be on a regular dining chair, correct? And you can buy extensions to put them on the floor?
However, I don't see how they'd be better than a high chair and/or the infant sized 5" chairs above, at least in my situation. But they are awfully cute.
Yes the Minui fold up and are only 5 lbs... I found a complete set up including legs on Ebay for $99 a few minutes ago.

I have 4 antique & black basic seats and also 2 of the infant seat add on that has the 5 point harness; They work on any chair that has at least a 13" back (width, not height). The back hooks adjusts to many different heights - good for ages 6/7 months thru 5 years old
Annalee 10:25 AM 06-27-2014
We are still, at the moment , allowed to use high chairs but there are great debate going on with confinement and how long a child can be confined with licensing and QRIS (high chairs, exersaucers, bouncy seats) so I can see us at some point having to supply infant seating that does NOT confine...No, I do not agree, but absolutely nothing surprises me anymore!
craftymissbeth 10:38 AM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
That is SO poorly written! So much open to interpretation there! Why would you need high chairs AND infant sized chairs? It should be high chairs, booster seats, OR infant sized chairs.

Also...WALKERS are on the list, although optional. They aren't banned here; but certainly their use is discouraged now-a-days. I also find it weird that "adult rocker" is specified. I mean, sure, you need a piece of adult furniture, but it MUST be a rocker?

LOL: I should really stop reading! It says "phonograph" and "records (at least 6)". yeah, right! They should have written "Victrola"
I started reading the list and when I got to phonograph and records I immediately came back here to comment. Do they even readily sell those anymore? Like... why not just list that they need to have a way to play music and 6 different "albums"? Weird.
craftymissbeth 10:43 AM 06-27-2014
I read through the list...

Originally Posted by :
Petroleum jelly or bland diaper-rash ointment.
This one bothers me because of the word "bland" as if you're going to give it a taste test to make sure it's not too spicy or flavorful

Also, you're required to keep bathing supplies on hand? That's interesting!
spinnymarie 11:00 AM 06-27-2014
Ok, I've decided to scrap the list. Clearly it hasn't been updated since 1970 or something, and probably, at that time, all of these things were very clear (haha yeah right).
I'm going to use my best judgement. Which includes NO walkers, NO infant chairs with backs, and NO phonograph
Heidi 11:06 AM 06-27-2014
Ok, I've decided to scrap the list. Clearly it hasn't been updated since 1970 or something, and probably, at that time, all of these things were very clear (haha yeah right).
I'm going to use my best judgement. Which includes NO walkers, NO infant chairs with backs, and NO phonograph

I would HOPE that this is designed to be a suggestion list, not a mandated list. If it's mandated, it should be updated periodically. WI updates their's every 5 minutes, I think. They like to add little bits and pieces to keep things...ah...interesting.
Stepping 11:40 AM 06-27-2014
I'm in Illinois too. When licensing came I had two high chairs and the rest of my chairs were toddler sized. I don't think they even counted how many chairs I had. They did count how many CDs I had though and said it was ok to have a CD player instead of a phonograph

Good luck putting a call in to licensing for clarification, I've been calling my rep on a monthly basis for over a year and had no response from her.

Illinois dcfs is a shambles.
Blackcat31 12:30 PM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by Stepping:

Good luck putting a call in to licensing for clarification, I've been calling my rep on a monthly basis for over a year and had no response from her.

Illinois dcfs is a shambles.
wow, that's a shame.
spinnymarie 01:05 PM 06-27-2014
Stepping - I'm sorry to hear that! I'll just go with the basics and hope for the best! I agree, shambles is a nice word. It also appears to abide by 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' as far as the standards are concerned - as in, as long as I dont ask her what it means to have infant chairs with backs, she can ignore the fact that no one has those.
LysesKids 07:31 PM 06-27-2014
Stepping - I'm sorry to hear that! I'll just go with the basics and hope for the best! I agree, shambles is a nice word. It also appears to abide by 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' as far as the standards are concerned - as in, as long as I dont ask her what it means to have infant chairs with backs, she can ignore the fact that no one has those.
See, when I was in Galena, IL and my rep was in Rockford, she kept on top of stuff and always called me bac within 24 hrs; guess that has changed since I left. I also stopped taking ANY states subsidy as of 2009 due to IL not paying their providers for months on end.
Indianadaycare 08:05 AM 06-28-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
That could mean clip-on chairs or booster seats, or it could mean child-sized chairs such as these:
http://www.communityplaythings.com/p...5-medoit-chair

I don't know if any state REQUIRES the little chairs, though. In WI, the QRIS/FCCERS recommends it. It's + points for sure.

If you have a mixed age group, it's a real challenge to have proportionate tables and chairs for all the ages, and also do family style dining. Especially if space is limited.

I saw these exact wooden toddler chairs on a local Facebook page for sale for only five bucks each!(I think reg price is ~70) I have a small daycare; only 4-5, but it's just recently opened. Requests so far are mostly for infants (which I am happy about!) but still I'm thinking of buying a few for when they grow a bit. I do have one 12 month old.
Anyone have these and what do you think? Have they worked well for you?
Leigh 12:16 PM 06-28-2014
I'd also add crib bumpers and blankets to that NO list! That looks more like a list made by a 13-year old dreaming of her own daycare than something that was put together by a professional.
SignMeUp 01:59 PM 06-28-2014
Originally Posted by Indianadaycare:
I saw these exact wooden toddler chairs on a local Facebook page for sale for only five bucks each!(I think reg price is ~70) I have a small daycare; only 4-5, but it's just recently opened. Requests so far are mostly for infants (which I am happy about!) but still I'm thinking of buying a few for when they grow a bit. I do have one 12 month old.
I have a couple that look exactly like these.
Good things: Very stable, hard to tip. Short distance to floor if they do fall.
Bad things: Won't work at any 'regular' table, you will need a special small table if kids are going to eat at them, do playdough, etc. (We use them for our play kitchen and have a small matching table.) Kids drag them around (2-4 year-olds). Kids stand on them or use them to climb to tabletop So if you are using them in free-play that can be a drawback until you get them trained in.
I do like the quality and I do use mine regularly.
jenboo 02:32 PM 06-28-2014
I have very similar ones and love them!! I use them at a child size table that's the perfect height. I don't have any issues with the kids climbing on them or moving them around. I don't allow it.
I love how low to the ground they are!! No need to worry about falls!!
Rachel 09:41 AM 06-29-2014
Right you better go run out and get your phonograph and records! How many new providers are even old enough to REMEMBER those?
Heidi 05:27 PM 06-29-2014
I have these chairs, and most children can master them at about 8-10 months. Maybe earlier if you work with them.

The biggest drawback I find for family childcare, working by myself, is that I prefer the children are secured in a seat for those times when I have to leave the room. For example, after breakfast and lunch, they all go down for nap. But, two of the children have to go downstairs to my master bdr. So, it's nice to be able to know that the remaining two children are secured in a seat while I take those two to bed.

If I had an assistant, then obviously one person could supervise the sitters while the other started taking them to their beds.

I sometimes use my little chairs and table just for afternoon snack, since no one is being taken out of the room then. I use boosters and clip-ons at the adult table for breakfast and lunch.
Tags:equipment, infant equipment
Reply Up