Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diaper Supplies Solutions
midaycare 11:43 AM 08-12-2014
I need to find a way to minimize everyone's diaper supplies and extra clothes. Right now I am using one small cart for 3 kids, and crates for the other 4. It takes up a ridiculous amount of room.

What do you do?
melilley 11:55 AM 08-12-2014
I have a closet organizer that you hang from a rod in a closet, hanging in ds' closet and I put the diapers in there-it has the days of the week on it..lol
For extra clothes, I have 2 of those 6 space cubbies for extra clothes in my dc room with a coat hanger above them. What ever they can fit in the cubby, is what I allow.

Like these: https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...oset+organizer

And:

http://www.target.com/p/room-essenti...mpterm=cubbies
MarinaVanessa 02:59 PM 08-12-2014
I do the fabric cubbies in the shelves like the ones mentioned above (mine are 9 cubbies) and I have a buffet table in the living room that I use as a diaper changing area. The buffet has three small drawers along the top (one for each infant that I have) which I put diapers in. The changing mat goes on top and the wipe boxes and gloves go there as well. There are two large drawers also and that's where I currently store my bibs, art aprons, washcloths, extra diapering supplies etc. It also has a cabinet next to the drawers where I keep empty wipe boxes, extra packages of diapers (to refill the small drawers) and some games.
midaycare 03:01 PM 08-12-2014
I need to rethink how I store things. Also, dcp's are giving me way too much stuff.
Laurel 03:16 PM 08-12-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I need to find a way to minimize everyone's diaper supplies and extra clothes. Right now I am using one small cart for 3 kids, and crates for the other 4. It takes up a ridiculous amount of room.

What do you do?
I had a small chest of drawers with a changing pad on top. All the diapers/wipes, etc.fit in the drawers with two left over. In those I put extra outfits and various supplies.

Laurel
Rachel 04:20 AM 08-13-2014
I have a set of 5 plastic drawers (they are about a foot deep and maybe 18 inches long and a foot wide). I tell the parents what fits in the drawer they can leave, and anything else they can't. Or they can bring a bag every day and it goes on a coat rack I bought for that purpose (the ikea kids one). Before I set that limit I had diapers and wipes and craziness everywhere!
Second Home 05:14 AM 08-13-2014
I use a cloth closet organizer similar to the one posted above . A pkg of diapers and a change of clothes fits easily in mine .

I also use one to store nap pillows and blankets , I fold them in half and put one in each square , they are separated and do not touch per regulations .
Blackcat31 05:18 AM 08-13-2014
I need to rethink how I store things. Also, dcp's are giving me way too much stuff.
What are they giving you?

I have parents supply one COMPLETE change of clothing and one month's supply of diapers.

Each family also brings one re-fill package of wipes on the first of each month.

I will NOT accept those ginormous boxes of diapers as I am not a storage facility. I will store NO MORE than 30 days worth of diapers.

I only have 3 kids in diapers so it isn't too much to store on a couple shelves in the bathroom cabinet.

The clothing gets stored I each child's basket in their cubbies.
GoodKarma 06:04 AM 08-13-2014
This was why I started supplying diapers and wipes. Now I only have 1 box of wipes going and 1 brand of diapers in whatever sizes are currently in use. I set my prices on the high end for my area to cover the cost. Now I have less clutter, I don't have to remind parents to bring supplies, and I can buy the brands I like to use. And, it's a business deduction at tax time. Makes my life easier
midaycare 06:08 AM 08-13-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
What are they giving you?

I have parents supply one COMPLETE change of clothing and one month's supply of diapers.

Each family also brings one re-fill package of wipes on the first of each month.

I will NOT accept those ginormous boxes of diapers as I am not a storage facility. I will store NO MORE than 30 days worth of diapers.

I only have 3 kids in diapers so it isn't too much to store on a couple shelves in the bathroom cabinet.

The clothing gets stored I each child's basket in their cubbies.
6 out of my 7 are in diapers right now. 2 do cloth, which seems to take a lot of space. I have diapers, diapers everywhere!
Blackcat31 07:10 AM 08-13-2014
6 out of my 7 are in diapers right now. 2 do cloth, which seems to take a lot of space. I have diapers, diapers everywhere!
Do the cloth diaper wearers bring more than one days supply of diapers?

If so I would have them only bring the day's requirements and nothing more.

I would also consider supplying an area with a basket for each kid and leave the supplies in each child's basket.

Maybe something like this would work?

SignMeUp 08:31 AM 08-13-2014
We are required to keep all diapers inaccessible to children.
My space has a long, low radiator, in front of which I keep a couch to prevent head bumps. I change kids on a vinyl tablecloth (bleachable & washable) on the couch. On the radiator, I placed two vertical storage units (pre-fab from Target) horizontally on the radiator, with the doors facing up. I installed magnetic locks on each door, and hot-glued the shelves in place (shelf pegs don't work because the unit is on its back).
The shelves function as partitions and provide me with six separate areas. I use one for gloves, soap & bleach bottles, etc. I use a bag-lined cardboard box in one (using a flap of the box as a lid, all vinyl-covered) as a garbage container. And the other four hold diapers, ointments, etc., separated for each child, topped off by separate wipe boxes labeled with each name. Inside the door, I keep a plastic sleeve that contains supply notes and a pen, so that at the end of the week I can easily check off any supplies needed the following week.
midaycare 11:44 AM 08-13-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Do the cloth diaper wearers bring more than one days supply of diapers?

If so I would have them only bring the day's requirements and nothing more.

I would also consider supplying an area with a basket for each kid and leave the supplies in each child's basket.

Maybe something like this would work?

I like this!
midaycare 11:47 AM 08-13-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
We are required to keep all diapers inaccessible to children.
My space has a long, low radiator, in front of which I keep a couch to prevent head bumps. I change kids on a vinyl tablecloth (bleachable & washable) on the couch. On the radiator, I placed two vertical storage units (pre-fab from Target) horizontally on the radiator, with the doors facing up. I installed magnetic locks on each door, and hot-glued the shelves in place (shelf pegs don't work because the unit is on its back).
The shelves function as partitions and provide me with six separate areas. I use one for gloves, soap & bleach bottles, etc. I use a bag-lined cardboard box in one (using a flap of the box as a lid, all vinyl-covered) as a garbage container. And the other four hold diapers, ointments, etc., separated for each child, topped off by separate wipe boxes labeled with each name. Inside the door, I keep a plastic sleeve that contains supply notes and a pen, so that at the end of the week I can easily check off any supplies needed the following week.
I don't think in MI we have to keep diapers inaccessible to children ... but I'm not sure. I have them pretty out in the open right now. I think that is what is driving me crazy. I have my washer and dryer in the daycare area, and I would give anything to have those out so I had more room!
melilley 12:00 PM 08-13-2014
I agree with BC, have the cloth diaper families bring supplies for that day. I had one in cloth and they would just bring the diaper bag full of diapers and a wet bag each day.

Could you put some type of shelving on top of the washer and dryer? Or cabinets above them?
midaycare 07:55 PM 08-13-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I agree with BC, have the cloth diaper families bring supplies for that day. I had one in cloth and they would just bring the diaper bag full of diapers and a wet bag each day.

Could you put some type of shelving on top of the washer and dryer? Or cabinets above them?
Ohhhh ... I like it. I need to check that out. Good idea!
Reply Up