Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Late Pick up Policy/Fees & Sick Policy
fitsngiggles18 02:04 PM 11-06-2014
I'm having some issues with late pick ups. I have not enforced any of my late fees yet, but I'm starting today. I want to make sure I'm being reasonable. My late pick up fee is $1 per minute after my closing time of 4:30pm. I made my hours based on my dcp enrollment contracts. My hours are 7am - 4:30pm and I charge by the day. I understand I'm not even open for 10 hours, but the reason is....Both families I care for work & live less than .5 a mile from my home. They don't have a commute to speak of, so I don't see a reason to be open earlier or later than what they said they need. Granted I understand they could still have traffic or weather problems, but there really shouldn't be a reason they are late on a regular basis.... So to get to my question, I have one family who picks up at 3:30. The dcd drops off and dcm picks up... She is supposed to pick up between 3-3:30. It is never consistent no matter how many times I ask her to make it a specific time and stick with it. I consider her later after 3:30pm, but because I am still open for the other family how should I charge? I feel like she should be there to pick her child up at the time she contracted to get her. On a regular basis she will be late from getting her toes or waxing done, grocery shopping, doc appts etc. If I do charge her should it be the same as the $1 per minute after closing or do $10 per half hour after her contracted time up until my closing time...then change to $1 per minute? She also never communicates with me if she will be late. It's so frustrating. I choke when she comes to pick up because I don't want to upset her and lose her business. I have had multiple conversations about them giving me notice and recently they've been texting just before pick up... or they don't tell me at all. Last night they made prior arrangements to pick up at 4:30p... 4:30 came and went, I texted and they we're full of excuses. I feel they had all day to communicate with me and chose not to. I have read other posts and I agree with still charging the late fee if the call or text the same day.

My next question is for the other family... they come to pick up at 4:30. They are never on time. Dcd always goes home first to change his clothes before he comes to pick up.. I have been completely lax in not charging. Should I charge a fee after 4:30p, or give him a 10 min. grace period, so after 4:40p he will get charged? This family communicates with me always..so I am not as much inclined to penalize them because they do tell me or call even if it's the same day. But I feel my closing time is more of a guideline to him. Keep in mind these families don't have a commute, so whether they go home or come from work they are both within 5-10min away.

Next question: Sick Policy - I'm struggling with kids staying home when they are sick. My policy is based on what the health department requires. And that is based on the SYMPTOMS the children have, and not the reason they have them. For instance - if they don't think it's contagious they feel they should still be able to come. I give one free sick day per child per month. They can choose to use it or not, but it doesn't roll over. What policies do you have in place to ensure they understand and abide it?

As others have mentioned... I don't want the money, I want the time with my family!

Thanks for any and all suggestions
Indoorvoice 04:24 PM 11-06-2014
If you told the families that your rates are for CONTRACTED times, then they need to stick to those contracted times. I charge $5 per 15 minutes past the contracted time and then tack on a $1per minute after my closing time of 5 so I think what you're thinking of is fair. As for the parent who is supposed to pick up between 3 and 3:30,set a definite time and have her sign off on it. When she goes past it, charge her the $10 for every 1/2 hour until closing and then $1 per minute. It doesn't matter if you are open for someone else. You gave her the rate for her time, and for all she knows, the other family could be paying more.

As far as sick policies go, I'm not as strict, but calling for pick up as soon as you see symptoms that you don't allow will put it back on the parents. Best of luck! I just went through fixing a lot of my policies to avoid these situations too!
fitsngiggles18 09:45 PM 12-06-2014
Thank you! I've made adjustments that seem to be working so far.

The problem I see as a result from the dcm who picks up at 3:30p wants to switch her hours to pick up at 3:30p in a few months when her sister has a baby. The reservation I have with allowing it is I know if she gets done with work earlier than 4:30 she will come to pick up early...most likely with no notice...so It will be back to her being inconsistent with the pick up. So far she now picks up right at 3:30 everyday, whereas before she'd come between 3-3:30.
Rachel 04:22 AM 12-07-2014
If you have contracted hours, then yes she is late at 3:30. If you have open hours, then no she isn't. I would also look at your fee structure. IMO, it's not fair to charge someone more just because she said she will pick up at 3:30. So if the 3:30 pickup and the 4:30 pickup are paying the same daily rate, I think it's only fair to do open hours and not charge until 4:30. If you want to switch to contracted hours, you should switch them both and tell them you only work according to your contraced hours.
nannyde 05:46 AM 12-07-2014
It's your inconsistency that is giving them license to do as they please. They know you want the money. They know you want to avoid making them mad. They knew this the first time they were late and you didn't charge them.

Having other children in care doesn't give the early pick up clients license to be late. They don't know if the others are even in the house when they are late. Other clients schedules don't determine what hours they can use.

The Dad who goes home to change clothes does it because it is easier for him to have you care for the kids while he is cleaning up then for him to do it while he is cleaning up. It's just that simple.

So in his mind, because it is easier for him, he should be able to do what is best for him. Until you attach money to it, it will always be best for him to use your services for free.

Sit them down and tell them the time they are to pick up. Tell them it's a dollar per minute per kid after then no matter what. They need to pay it in.cash at pick up. Never increase your hours without a fee increase. If they need later hours make them expensive or don't offer them.

Have you read my parent book? There is a section on parental lying about being late. Once you start charging them you will have to deal with the lying about why so be prepared.
fitsngiggles18 05:58 PM 12-07-2014
Originally Posted by Rachel:
If you have contracted hours, then yes she is late at 3:30. If you have open hours, then no she isn't. I would also look at your fee structure. IMO, it's not fair to charge someone more just because she said she will pick up at 3:30. So if the 3:30 pickup and the 4:30 pickup are paying the same daily rate, I think it's only fair to do open hours and not charge until 4:30. If you want to switch to contracted hours, you should switch them both and tell them you only work according to your contraced hours.

Thank you. I agree... I'm going to update my whole policy and with that change to days instead of contracted time.
Tags:late fee, late fee - letter, late pick up fee, sick kids, sick policy
Reply Up