Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>!!!
KIDZRMYBIZ 03:39 PM 04-23-2015
So funny - 2 of my DCMs were shopping before pick-up today. Saw each other at store, but have seen one another at DC maybe twice, so weren't sure if they had a connection and didn't speak at the store...

Then they both arrive for pick-up at the same time, have a laugh, then proceed to talk about how great it is to leave the DCKs at daycare while they shop and how they can't really do anything if they have their child in tow and did you see this mom and that mom there with THEIR kids.

It made me feel so good about myself as a mom (I did and still do things very differently than most of my DCMs) and my general competence.
Thriftylady 03:58 PM 04-23-2015
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
So funny - 2 of my DCMs were shopping before pick-up today. Saw each other at store, but have seen one another at DC maybe twice, so weren't sure if they had a connection and didn't speak at the store...

Then they both arrive for pick-up at the same time, have a laugh, then proceed to talk about how great it is to leave the DCKs at daycare while they shop and how they can't really do anything if they have their child in tow and did you see this mom and that mom there with THEIR kids.

It made me feel so good about myself as a mom (I did and still do things very differently than most of my DCMs) and my general competence.
I don't understand the parents of today. I had one DCM text me that she was going grocery shopping first so she didn't have to take her SAers. I would have been horrified to not pick up my kids and then stop at the store. I worked full time until DD was two, ran as fast as I could to pick them up (or sent DH but that wasn't often because he hadn't adopted them yet we were not married yet then), and then I did my chores. I felt guilty if I didn't get my kids first.
AmyLeigh 04:13 PM 04-23-2015
I can see both sides. I can do all of my shopping with my kids, but it's much easier and faster (and cheaper ) if I go without them.

Even more so if I leave dh at home, too.
Thriftylady 04:25 PM 04-23-2015
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
I can see both sides. I can do all of my shopping with my kids, but it's much easier and faster (and cheaper ) if I go without them.

OH no I NEVER take dh! Costs me a fortune.
DaveA 04:58 PM 04-23-2015
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:

Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
OH no I NEVER take dh! Costs me a fortune.
Funny because when I shop I have a list and really don't get much beyond that. If DW goes with or for me my list is only about half the stuff we end up with. If I take my daughter I really have to stick to the list if she has it. Buying something not on the list involves explaining why we need it and adding it to the list so it is "right". Unless I get her swiss rolls- then she's too busy waiting to devour the whole box.
Thriftylady 05:09 PM 04-23-2015
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
Funny because when I shop I have a list and really don't get much beyond that. If DW goes with or for me my list is only about half the stuff we end up with. If I take my daughter I really have to stick to the list if she has it. Buying something not on the list involves explaining why we need it and adding it to the list so it is "right". Unless I get her swiss rolls- then she's too busy waiting to devour the whole box.
Swoon!!! My DH just keeps saying "I need this, I need that". He does have the excuse that he is in the semi so we cook separate meals, but I send him so many meals to reheat or throw in crockpot. It is so hard cooking two meals in different places.
Josiegirl 02:33 AM 04-24-2015
Yes, I'll agree it can be quicker and cheaper to go solo. But really, if they would stop and think about all the experiences and teaching that go on if you bring your child with you.
NightOwl 05:37 AM 04-24-2015
I'll admit it is easier, but if I didn't get my kids first, I'd spend the whole shopping trip trying to rush through it so I could get my kids, and I'd feel super guilty at the same time.
Blackcat31 06:51 AM 04-24-2015
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:

Ever since my DH started accompanying me on the weekly shopping trips, my lists have been fulfilled and I have bought ZERO impulse purchases so this is VERY true!

My DH sticks to the list and that is it.

At first I thought made shopping boring but I see the money we have saved and appreciate it.

Plus I am no longer having to figure out what to do with the useless things I bought on impulse.
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:40 AM 04-24-2015
When I take my kids shopping with me, I spend MUCH less. We are then there to get what we need, get checked out, and go home. When I go by myself, I will wander through all the aisles and find all kinds of "bargains."

I like spending that time with my kids, even when they were little. I had 3 kids under 5yo for 1.5 years, so I do know what that experience is like. Of course it's doable, and really it should be done!

Yesterday, too, another DCM told me she really misses her 2yo when she goes home for her hour and a half lunch break every day, seeing his toys and stuff laying around. "I really miss him when I take my 30-minute nap and wish he was there to snuggle with." What?! You take an afternoon nap every day?? Here's a thought: Take a real quick lunch then come get him an hour earlier every day, ya know since you miss him so much!

I will never get used to this mentality of letting daycare practically raising kiddos. I just have to shake it off, live and let live, and collect my paycheck. I am just so glad that you guys are there to shake your head in wonder, too, and just sympathize.
Shell 10:03 AM 04-24-2015
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
When I take my kids shopping with me, I spend MUCH less. We are then there to get what we need, get checked out, and go home. When I go by myself, I will wander through all the aisles and find all kinds of "bargains."

I like spending that time with my kids, even when they were little. I had 3 kids under 5yo for 1.5 years, so I do know what that experience is like. Of course it's doable, and really it should be done!

Yesterday, too, another DCM told me she really misses her 2yo when she goes home for her hour and a half lunch break every day, seeing his toys and stuff laying around. "I really miss him when I take my 30-minute nap and wish he was there to snuggle with." What?! You take an afternoon nap every day?? Here's a thought: Take a real quick lunch then come get him an hour earlier every day, ya know since you miss him so much!

I will never get used to this mentality of letting daycare practically raising kiddos. I just have to shake it off, live and let live, and collect my paycheck. I am just so glad that you guys are there to shake your head in wonder, too, and just sympathize.
and I would love to take a nap everyday!
Thriftylady 10:36 AM 04-24-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
and I would love to take a nap everyday!
Is there a sign up sheet for that?
ColorfulSunburst 11:00 AM 04-24-2015
I prefer don't take my children for shopping. It is boring for them. I think that it is really better for little kids to spend time with other children by playing, running, reading, laughing...
Jack Sprat 11:18 AM 04-24-2015
I take my own children shopping. They don't always love it but, they are learning about healthy food choices, cost of things, and how to bag groceries

I also take my dck's shopping. Not as in-depth as my monthly shopping. But, they also enjoy going to Wal-Mart. They get to pick out all the fresh fruit and veggies, we talk about what the different color milk lids stand for etc.

I only have one parent who won't take her 7yr old and 4.5 yr old shopping. She hires a sitter for the weekend and goes alone, or goes after work. It's just easier she says to leave them behind.
Unregistered 01:21 PM 04-24-2015
I think a lot of it is their lack of control they have over the it children. I may have just been lucky but my dd only through 1 fit at the store. I popped her on the butt and that was it.
Baby Beluga 02:09 PM 04-24-2015
I always feel so bad for the kids who have to stay at home or DC when their parents are out running errands.

My 3 year old comes shopping with me 99% of the time. She loves it. I give her a list and coupons and she helps me remember/find/pick out things. It has also helped her to get to know our community - both the people in it and the direction of where we are going. She will often ask is Walmart left or right? Are we going to the Sprouts by Old Navy or the one by Target? etc. I know it is sometimes easier to go without our kids, but I personally feel it is so important to include them in everyday activities like errands.
Tags:parents - don't want kids
Reply Up