Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-04-2016, 08:45 AM
Controlled Chaos's Avatar
Controlled Chaos Controlled Chaos is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,128
Default Toxic Plants - Keeping A Garden

I love gardening with my little ones. It came to my attention that tomato plants are on the toxic list Which is irritating as new science shows a child would have to eat an insane amount of the leaves before becoming ill. But anyways, daffodils are on the list. I planted a bunch of bulbs last fall in my FRONT yard. The kids walk on a path through the front yard to get to the back yard where they play in the fenced back yard with the now tomato free vegetable garden. Am I in violation? I have sent my specialist so many emails lately I thought I would give her a break at least until monday lol. I am a paranoid rule follower sometimes. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-04-2016, 09:11 AM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 6,040
Default

In CA, it really depends on your analyst.

I got a "Class A" citation (right up there with firearms and drugs) for a tomato plant in my backyard. Yet, another local provider with a different analyst didn't. She even gave the analyst some tomatoes.

I have sago palms in my front yard, yet another provider on the next street was told to remove hers. Same analyst.

If in doubt, ask.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-04-2016, 09:22 AM
NillaWafers's Avatar
NillaWafers NillaWafers is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California
Posts: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlan View Post
In CA, it really depends on your analyst.

I got a "Class A" citation (right up there with firearms and drugs) for a tomato plant in my backyard. Yet, another local provider with a different analyst didn't. She even gave the analyst some tomatoes.

I have sago palms in my front yard, yet another provider on the next street was told to remove hers. Same analyst.

If in doubt, ask.
Ugh, I hate CA. I have 6 tomato sprouts I was planning on planting next week. I would hate to get a violation over something so stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-04-2016, 09:51 AM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 6,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NillaWafers View Post
Ugh, I hate CA. I have 6 tomato sprouts I was planning on planting next week. I would hate to get a violation over something so stupid.

They have to be inaccessible to the kids. I had to move mine behind the pool fence, but I was still written up. Prospective parents look at me like I've grown an extra head when I tell them I have a Class A citation and what it is for.

I have never had a child eat a tomato leaf. My youngest granddaughter used to pick them when she was a toddler and sit on her little bench and eat them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

I would put up some T posts and put one of those cheap fences around them. Glad I am legally unlicensed and don't have to deal with such crazy nonsense. That is what supervision is for. I mean it isn't like we would say "here kiddo have some leaves".
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-04-2016, 11:05 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos View Post
I love gardening with my little ones. It came to my attention that tomato plants are on the toxic list Which is irritating as new science shows a child would have to eat an insane amount of the leaves before becoming ill. But anyways, daffodils are on the list. I planted a bunch of bulbs last fall in my FRONT yard. The kids walk on a path through the front yard to get to the back yard where they play in the fenced back yard with the now tomato free vegetable garden. Am I in violation? I have sent my specialist so many emails lately I thought I would give her a break at least until monday lol. I am a paranoid rule follower sometimes. Thoughts?
My kiddos grow their own tomatoes.

I think the difference would be supervision and whether the children had open access to these plants or not.

I do agree with Sharlan though... when in doubt, ask.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-04-2016, 11:22 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,818
Default

They recommend all these really cool things for providers to do with their little kiddos then make it all as hard as he!! to do them.
Lock up everything.
Put it behind 4' high fencing.
Hire armed sentries to guard it. (they may as well!!!)

It all boils down to supervision!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-04-2016, 12:06 PM
NillaWafers's Avatar
NillaWafers NillaWafers is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California
Posts: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftylady View Post
I would put up some T posts and put one of those cheap fences around them. Glad I am legally unlicensed and don't have to deal with such crazy nonsense. That is what supervision is for. I mean it isn't like we would say "here kiddo have some leaves".
I wish there was legally unlicensed, if you watch more than 1 family you have to be licensed here.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-04-2016, 12:24 PM
Controlled Chaos's Avatar
Controlled Chaos Controlled Chaos is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,128
Default

Thanks for the responses. I got my pre licensing yard inspection done in January, then our analysts switched who did yard inspections so I was told I wouldn't have one for a whole year. So, I just didn't worry last summer The kids helped me tend the tomatoes, they picked them when ripe, they washed them with the hose and ate them right there. It was so nice. This year I should get a back yard inspection so I am trying to make sure I am following all the rules that aren't so common sense. Hope the front yard is fine.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-04-2016, 01:17 PM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos View Post
Thanks for the responses. I got my pre licensing yard inspection done in January, then our analysts switched who did yard inspections so I was told I wouldn't have one for a whole year. So, I just didn't worry last summer The kids helped me tend the tomatoes, they picked them when ripe, they washed them with the hose and ate them right there. It was so nice. This year I should get a back yard inspection so I am trying to make sure I am following all the rules that aren't so common sense. Hope the front yard is fine.

Thanks again!
They don't do it all at once? When I was licensed in KS, it was all done by the same person on the same day. Talk about finding ways to complicate things.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-04-2016, 01:40 PM
Controlled Chaos's Avatar
Controlled Chaos Controlled Chaos is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftylady View Post
They don't do it all at once? When I was licensed in KS, it was all done by the same person on the same day. Talk about finding ways to complicate things.
It will be now. But before we had different people for each area. Now my regular analyst will do both, but she was barely trained on outdoor stuff, so when I last saw her she couldn't answer lots of my questions.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-04-2016, 02:01 PM
AmyLeigh's Avatar
AmyLeigh AmyLeigh is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 875
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NillaWafers View Post
I wish there was legally unlicensed, if you watch more than 1 family you have to be licensed here.
Me too. I have 2 kids after school/school holidays only and have to deal with licensing because they are not related. My visits are usually in the winter, so I have never had to deal with the tomato issue. Which is good, I guess, because we plant tomatoes every year.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
california - regulations, garden, toxic, toxic list

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Realy great article on dealing with Toxic People hsdcmama Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 11-03-2014 02:10 PM
Really? Again This Year With The Flower Garden?? crazydaycarelady Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 13 04-11-2014 12:42 PM
Garden Disaster!! KnoxMom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 06-18-2013 11:05 AM
ABC's of the Garden butterfly Curriculum 7 03-11-2013 08:36 PM
For Tom: Record keeping & MMK legomom922 Daycare and Taxes 3 10-22-2010 08:50 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:06 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming