Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>CA Family Daycare Without My Name Being On Rental Agreement?
B-ash 08:50 PM 10-26-2017
I am a stay at home mom and have being doing my research and want to open up a home daycare in California. But our house rental agreement is only in my fiance's name not mine. Is it still possible for me to open up a daycare here?
Michael 02:35 AM 10-27-2017
You should check your state's requirements or contact California's childcare licensing department. https://www.daycare.com/california/
hwichlaz 07:37 AM 10-27-2017
Are you listed as a resident? You need proof that you notified the landlord you're opening a daycare. And if you want the two additional school-aged children, you'll need his permission. As long as you approved to live in the rental it'll be okay because your fiance' will also be on your license as living in the home. You'll just need one of those two things.
CalCare 04:35 PM 10-27-2017
We give a copy of the lease and we are required to notify the landlord. But there isn't any proof that you notified them. There's nothing that they sign. ... Hwichlaz, did you have the owner sign the notification handout. I'm pretty sure that's just for you to give the owner. That's what my person told me.
hwichlaz 04:39 PM 10-27-2017
Originally Posted by CalCare:
We give a copy of the lease and we are required to notify the landlord. But there isn't any proof that you notified them. There's nothing that they sign. ... Hwichlaz, did you have the owner sign the notification handout. I'm pretty sure that's just for you to give the owner. That's what my person told me.
The landlord has to consent if you want to be licensed for 8 instead of just 6.
CalCare 04:41 PM 10-27-2017
Right, but you don't actually need proof you notified them of the original 6. Really all you need as far as landlord (for the 6) is a copy of the lease.
hwichlaz 04:44 PM 10-27-2017
true, however, why wouldn't you want to be licensed for 8 unless you're keeping your business a secret?

My concern, if she's not on the lease, is...is she even legally living there? Is she going to get licensed as an illegal tenant, tick the landlord off, and be evicted? In California you HAVE to be on the lease or rental agreement to live in a rental, even if you're a child. You aren't the lessee as a child, but you're listed as a resident.
daycare 05:03 PM 10-27-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
The landlord has to consent if you want to be licensed for 8 instead of just 6.
you can have a licence for 8 and not have to have your landlord sign. you only need to sign it if you are going to take 8.

when i started, I only took 6, because I didn't take school aged kids. the required consent is if you will be operating at your capacity.
CalCare 05:34 PM 10-27-2017
Oh I'm not a secret hehe, but I didn't want to push the landlord by asking for special permission for even more (8). I was happy I got someone who would play ball at 6!
hwichlaz 06:50 PM 10-27-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
you can have a licence for 8 and not have to have your landlord sign. you only need to sign it if you are going to take 8.

when i started, I only took 6, because I didn't take school aged kids. the required consent is if you will be operating at your capacity.
No, I had a landlord that declined to give permission at first and my license said 6 children only.

If yours says 8 without permission it was a slip-up. My analyst came to inspect and she had it prepared both for 6 this time because my permission didn't come in time to mail it to her, but I had it in hand when she got here so she changed it to 8. She showed me her screen.

Also, know from first-hand experience, that State Farm won't cover you if your license says 8 on it. They'll only do it if it says 6. So when I moved to a house where I could have 8, I had to get different insurance too.
hwichlaz 06:52 PM 10-27-2017
Originally Posted by CalCare:
Oh I'm not a secret hehe, but I didn't want to push the landlord by asking for special permission for even more (8). I was happy I got someone who would play ball at 6!
I asked for permission and was denied with my first landlord, so had a license for 6. :P

My current landlord agreed to 8 if I'd add him as an insured.
MarinaVanessa 06:41 PM 10-28-2017
Also, know from first-hand experience, that State Farm won't cover you if your license says 8 on it. They'll only do it if it says 6. So when I moved to a house where I could have 8, I had to get different insurance too.
My mom works for my State Farm agent. I am licensed for 8. State Farm won't cover more than 6 kids but they will still cover you for up to the 6 even if your license says 8.

For me it still works because my license says 8 and I have 3 of my own kids that still qualify under my ratio (18 month old, 4 year old & 6 year old) so really I can only take an additional 5 kids which would still be covered under my liability rider.
CityGarden 10:13 PM 10-28-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:

This was my understanding too.

Slightly OT but when I read the requirements it also seemed if you were applying for the large license in CA you only needed to notify IF you were taking the additional SA children..... is that correct? Right now I have no desire to go beyond my 6 children and will never have the desire for SA with my bunch but I thought it was funny IF you needed to notify to go from 6-8 but not to apply outright for 12..... but since I was not applying for that I did not really look into it.
MarinaVanessa 10:48 AM 10-30-2017
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
This was my understanding too.

Slightly OT but when I read the requirements it also seemed if you were applying for the large license in CA you only needed to notify IF you were taking the additional SA children..... is that correct? Right now I have no desire to go beyond my 6 children and will never have the desire for SA with my bunch but I thought it was funny IF you needed to notify to go from 6-8 but not to apply outright for 12..... but since I was not applying for that I did not really look into it.
From what I understand, you need to notify if you are renting period, need signed permission if you are caring for the additional children. As in notify your landlord when you initially get your small license if you'll only be caring for 6 kids or less, get signed permission if you'll be watching the additional 2 for your max cap of 8, notify your landlord when you upgrade to a large license if you're watching 12 kids or less, get signed permission for the additional 2 kids for a max cap of 14 kids.

That's what I remember anyway. You don't have to submit the forms to licensing but you have to keep them in your files and they may/may not check.
hwichlaz 04:34 PM 10-30-2017
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
From what I understand, you need to notify if you are renting period, need signed permission if you are caring for the additional children. As in notify your landlord when you initially get your small license if you'll only be caring for 6 kids or less, get signed permission if you'll be watching the additional 2 for your max cap of 8, notify your landlord when you upgrade to a large license if you're watching 12 kids or less, get signed permission for the additional 2 kids for a max cap of 14 kids.

That's what I remember anyway. You don't have to submit the forms to licensing but you have to keep them in your files and they may/may not check.

I had to submit them before she'd print my temporary license. She asked for a copy for her file.
MarinaVanessa 05:02 PM 10-30-2017
I had to submit them before she'd print my temporary license. She asked for a copy for her file.
Well there ya go! I have a small license (max 8) so I've never been in the position of having to apply and supply anything for the large license
hwichlaz 05:44 PM 10-30-2017
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Well there ya go! I have a small license (max 8) so I've never been in the position of having to apply and supply anything for the large license
I have a small license. To print it out for 8 children, rather than 6, I needed to hand her a copy of my landlord's signed consent.
Tags:rental, rental agreement
Reply Up