Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>return check fee.
Second Home 05:30 AM 04-03-2014
Anyone have a form to charge for a returned checks that I may use?

In my contract I have a $20 fee for all returned / bounced checks . I do not think I have ever had to charge anyone ( since I do not have a copy of the form and I keep all blank forms) .
LadyPearl 06:03 AM 04-03-2014
I assume this $20 fee is on top of the returned check fee that your bank will charge you?? (I think my bank charges $35 for a bad check)
Second Home 06:09 AM 04-03-2014
My bank charges 12 per returned check so I have always charged 20 just to make sure everything is covered . I think I will re write that policy as well to inclued all bank charges in addition to the $20 fee .

I came up with these 2 , which is better.

Per the child care agreement :
Returned check fee of $20.00 will be charged to parents / guardians for any check returned by the bank . After 2 returned checks only cash will be accepted as payment for services .

I received a notice that on ( ___dates_______) a check for $_____ was returned .

There is now a $20.00 returned check fee now due and payable in cash tomorrow at drop off or whether child attends or not .

Returned Check Notice
To the parents of: ___________________________________________________.

Your payment of ___$____ for child care services ( dates listed ) was returned by the bank . Per our agreement, there is a $20.00 fee for any returned checks.

This fee is to be paid in cash on the next day at drop off whether child attends care or not.

At Second Home child care we allow 2 returned checks before we insist on another
form of payment.

This is your first returned check.

Thank you.

LadyPearl 06:14 AM 04-03-2014
I would also be clear that full payment is still expected.....returned check fee plus original amount of check.
Second Home 06:17 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by LadyPearl:
I would also be clear that full payment is still expected.....returned check fee plus original amount of check.
Just realized I had not added that . Thanks .
Blackcat31 06:32 AM 04-03-2014
If I received an NSF check, I would treat the payment as late since you do not have access to the funds on the due date. I charge my late fee all the way back to the original due date of the payment and NO services are provided after I am notified of the NSF check until the check is taken care of and I am paid in full.

I would also charge a $30 return check fee as well as ANY and ALL fees that occur due to the NSF check being returned (like if f you have additional fees to your account and any payments you made etc)

I also would NEVER give someone a second chance to write another check that could possibly be returned...kwim? Waaaaay too much trouble just because of poor record keeping.

I know lots of people will say that things sometimes happen that we have no control over that cause our checks to be returned as NSF but I don't buy into that. Both my DH and I have had separate, combined and multiple accounts for various reasons over the years and have never had a check returned.

Once a parent has an NSF check the ONLY acceptable form of payment I will accept through them is cash from that point on.

Just some food for thought.
Second Home 06:53 AM 04-03-2014
Since I am updating my whole policy / handbook this will also be revised .
In my 11 years this is the first returned check , I guess I have been
very lucky .
TheGoodLife 06:56 AM 04-03-2014
I like the second, provided you add in that the fee plus original tuition is due the next day!
coolconfidentme 06:59 AM 04-03-2014
Here are tons of forms!
http://www.thedaycarelady.com/form.htm
Second Home 07:10 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
Here are tons of forms!
http://www.thedaycarelady.com/form.htm

I found one of the above on there and tweaked it a little .
coolconfidentme 07:32 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by Second Home:

I found one of the above on there and tweaked it a little .
I find a lot of god stuff there.., a little tweak & WALA!
spud912 07:40 AM 04-03-2014
I charge $25 for a returned check, plus check amount, plus the daily late fee for everyday it's late. Then the parents must pay me in cash for 2 months.
MarinaVanessa 11:40 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by spud912:
I charge $25 for a returned check, plus check amount, plus the daily late fee for everyday it's late. Then the parents must pay me in cash for 2 months.
I charge $35 and payment is considered late starting from when the fee was due PLUS other fees I get because of this (overdraft etc) and payments are in cash until FOREVER. Oh an no pay no play until I get all $$ in my hand.

I have no tolerance for payment issues.
Second Home 12:01 PM 04-03-2014
I have 2 different letters typed up and ready to go .
1 for no payment & returned check fees and he does not come until paid in full and the other for my returned check fee in case I do get cash to cover the returned check ..
williams2008 12:03 PM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
I charge $35 and payment is considered late starting from when the fee was due PLUS other fees I get because of this (overdraft etc) and payments are in cash until FOREVER. Oh an no pay no play until I get all $$ in my hand.

I have no tolerance for payment issues.

Tags:forms, nsf, returned check
Reply Up