Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Excited to Be Moving Forward
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 02:19 PM 02-23-2016
Finally after 5-years and the push of changes coming to our state (VA) where licensed exempt is going from 5 to 4 in July I figured it was down to getting licensed or closing in August. After talking with my husband I am going to be moving forward with getting licensed. I take phase 2 next month and I have several continue education classes coming up next month too just for the information they provide. I'm pretty excited, but nervous too.
Blackcat31 03:12 PM 02-23-2016
Originally Posted by Cozy_Kids_Childcare:
Finally after 5-years and the push of changes coming to our state (VA) where licensed exempt is going from 5 to 4 in July I figured it was down to getting licensed or closing in August. After talking with my husband I am going to be moving forward with getting licensed. I take phase 2 next month and I have several continue education classes coming up next month too just for the information they provide. I'm pretty excited, but nervous too.
Good for you!

You can do it!!
Controlled Chaos 04:36 PM 02-23-2016
Awesome! Good luck!
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 05:50 PM 02-23-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Good for you!

You can do it!!
Thank you! I'm excited about it. I actually found out today that I was accepted to a university to get my degree in childhood development with concentration on infant toddler and preschool. I'm doing this in case the QRIS becomes mandatory here plus you can never have tooooo much information.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 05:53 PM 02-23-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Awesome! Good luck!
Thank you, but I'm nervous. The lady that I talked to about the process had the personality of a mop so we shall see how it goes. Worse comes to worse I only will see her twice a year.

I'm even more excited about the food program after talking with several friends.
Josiegirl 02:34 AM 02-24-2016
Wishing you the very best!! My heart sunk just a little when I read your title, I thought for sure there goes another childcare provider in that you were choosing a different direction. Glad to hear that's not the case!!
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 04:54 AM 02-24-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Wishing you the very best!! My heart sunk just a little when I read your title, I thought for sure there goes another childcare provider in that you were choosing a different direction. Glad to hear that's not the case!!
I was talking with my husband the other night and was saying how I felt awful that I am 35 and pretty much have not accomplished a single thing that I thought I would by now. I left an amazing career as a surgical coordinator for a huge hospital. I had respect from doctors, administration and co-workers. I was the network hub for the operating room and I thrived in it. I was an important part of the day to day operation. Then I got pregnant (planned) with my youngest daughter. I decided at 12-weeks I would do just about anything to be home with her and my older two children. So the daycare plan hatched. My aunt did it for 13-years and I would sit in for her when she was pregnant with her youngest two for appointments. I loved kids. I was Girl Scout troop leader, I coached soccer for a season and was team mom to several sports. I had no idea how much I would be treated like trash and that clients thought that people in this profession as uneducated and unemployable or even lazy. That we are just stay at home moms who sit on the couch and let children destroy everything. My husband reminded me that I own a business with an IRS tax ID number and that is more than some people do. That I work for myself and that these clients work for someone else. He reminded me that our family is closer because of my job and that is nothing to look down on.
His words helped me figure out that I'm suppose to do this if not I would have closed up shop long ago. I know 5-years isn't long but given that most people don't last a year in this business I think that is a positive thing. So with that I decided dealing with inspections 1-2 times a year and having a business license with the state takes me right up their with other business owners. I might not make millions but I could make an impact on one of my daycare kids that they grow up with the encouragement that they can do anything.
Josiegirl 09:39 AM 02-24-2016
Many years ago I attended a workshop put on by a local CPA, about how to make money doing dc, or something similar. We had to figure out roughly our financial flow. I'm not sure why but I was picked first to present and felt terribly inadequate because obviously I wasn't make tons of money. I'm sure in his eyes I made peanuts. After he 'picked on' me for awhile I spoke up and said that some of the benefits from this job are not purely financial. That went against his grain of thought, being that the subject was all about making money. But that's the way I've always thought about this business.
I can pay my bills with a bit extra and I feel I'm supplying a much needed service to people that impacts their lives tremendously too. I have kids in my life always and that's a great thing(most of the time). I get to work from my home, owning my own business, which to me is very much preferred over some of the places I've worked. If I can do all that then I'd say I'm rich enough in the ways I want to be.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 10:04 AM 02-24-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Many years ago I attended a workshop put on by a local CPA, about how to make money doing dc, or something similar. We had to figure out roughly our financial flow. I'm not sure why but I was picked first to present and felt terribly inadequate because obviously I wasn't make tons of money. I'm sure in his eyes I made peanuts. After he 'picked on' me for awhile I spoke up and said that some of the benefits from this job are not purely financial. That went against his grain of thought, being that the subject was all about making money. But that's the way I've always thought about this business.
I can pay my bills with a bit extra and I feel I'm supplying a much needed service to people that impacts their lives tremendously too. I have kids in my life always and that's a great thing(most of the time). I get to work from my home, owning my own business, which to me is very much preferred over some of the places I've worked. If I can do all that then I'd say I'm rich enough in the ways I want to be.
Exactly... Every job has a downside. Every person I know has a bad day at work. I have a lot of positive things in this job that I wouldn't get anywhere else and I fully intend to embrace those and keep on trucking. Money isn't everything.
LysesKids 12:43 PM 02-24-2016
Originally Posted by Cozy_Kids_Childcare:
Now watch VA is going to have providers keep 5 regardless of ratio change just like when TN dropped their ratio many years ago... some people are going to say but we were always allowed to take this many; I still run into people that swear it's still legal to take 7 as licensed exempt here in TN... nope it's 4.

I know an illegal provider running with 7 in an apt smaller than my 2 bedroom mobile - she swears she's allowed that many because she's on the food program - ummm NOPE, licensing tells you when you can take 5-7 kids, not Our Daily Bread FP. She is my direct competition in this area so it sucks because she is undercutting rates too.
Reply Up