Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Foods You Wouldn't Expect Them to Like
Josiegirl 04:00 PM 02-25-2016
I know many of us struggle with dcks and veggies. Sometimes even fruits. And sometimes it seems they don't like anything we serve!

I have some very picky eaters. One almost 4 yo doesn't like most everything. But she loves hummus! Another dcg, whose list of veggies she'll eat is maybe 3 total, loves artichokes.

Those picky dcks of yours...do they like some out of the ordinary foods?
Pepperth 04:08 PM 02-25-2016
I have one that also loves hummus, but won't touch 90% of other food. He will use his fingers to eat the hummus.
Miss A 05:21 PM 02-25-2016
I have one that begs for veggies including Broccoli, Green Peppers, and Cauliflower. If I would let her, she would eat green pepper strips for breakfast every day! Also, Lettuce Salads. My kids could be rabbits! One DCG also loves egg salad, and not many like that!
laundrymom 05:42 PM 02-25-2016
Prunes!! I call them candied plums and limit them to one on Fridays after they have behaved all week. It's a treat. They are sweet, sticky and the kids think they are dessert. Lol

Raw sweet corn. A kernel at a time.

Frozen peas

Sticky rice

Squash soup when served w pita chips as a dip.
Anything cubed. Carrots. Radishes. Turnips. Etched. Anything in small diced cubes. Raw.
Leigh 06:36 PM 02-25-2016
I have a kid here who got picked up during lunch one day and his dad could not believe that he was snarfing down spinach and artichoke fettuccine-his dad says he would NEVER eat that at home. This kid eats EVERYTHING I give him.
Baby Beluga 07:21 AM 02-26-2016
Frozen peas

Romaine/spinach/kale/green onion/celery salad with an olive oil/garlic dressing. All but one love it.
Pepperth 07:34 AM 02-26-2016
My own picky soon would eat raw red or orange pepper every day. Last night I made popcorn soup and he wants me to make it again. ( He hates soup.)
Josiegirl 09:26 AM 02-26-2016
Originally Posted by Pepperth:
My own picky soon would eat raw red or orange pepper every day. Last night I made popcorn soup and he wants me to make it again. ( He hates soup.)
What is popcorn soup??
Leigh 10:15 AM 02-26-2016
All of my DCK's would eat peppers like they were apples! Popcorn soup? Is that the cheese soup with popcorn on top?
DaveA 10:32 AM 02-26-2016
Sushi. One of our local markets has a surprisingly good sushi counter in it. Every month or so I grab some for me while getting groceries with the kids. DCKs will riot if I don't grab a California roll or some other roll with cooked seafood in it for their lunch that day.
daycarediva 10:42 AM 02-26-2016
My current crew is so-so, they eat about 1/2 of the variety I serve.

They ALL love edamame, I buy pounds of it and if I kept serving, they would keep eating.

Mango- ripe to over ripe, devoured by all of them.

Plain tofu, they love it.

One doesn't eat any other vegetables, loves olives, all kinds and artichokes.

One loves EVERY vegetable, but is picky about fruits.
Claraskids 07:16 AM 02-27-2016
I have a two year old who refuses to touch raw carrots when they are on his plate. However, when I am preparing lunch, he loves to eat them one at a time while he is standing in between the kitchen/play room border. Apparently carrots taste better if you're standing than when you're sitting
BabyMonkeys 09:17 AM 02-27-2016
All of mine are huge veggie lovers. They will eat their broccoli first and ask for seconds before they touch anything else on their plates. I have one little guy that will eat a green pepper as if it were an apple. The parent's friends are always shocked at how well the boys will eat.

I always made my own baby food out of fresh organic veggies and fruit. The parents ended up paying me quite a bit extra to provide all of their food, even while they were home. The parents have super healthy diets, so even now they aren't really exposed to junk food.
Pepperth 04:44 PM 02-27-2016
Popcorn soup is basically a potato soup that is blended, then you add corn and Parmesan cheese until the cheese melts. Right before you serve it, add as much popcorn as you like.
Josiegirl 03:21 AM 02-28-2016
Popcorn soup is basically a potato soup that is blended, then you add corn and Parmesan cheese until the cheese melts. Right before you serve it, add as much popcorn as you like.
Ooh that sounds good. Thanks for sharing! Is it something you could sneak cauliflower into and they wouldn't even notice?

Canned tomatoes are another item I just found out these 2 picky dcgs like.
I asked the older dcks to write down some things they'd like that I don't normally serve. I meant for them to include things like different veggies or fruits. One dck wrote bacon, pickles....
Blackcat31 08:15 AM 02-28-2016
I am proud to say I have fabulous eaters.

I have yet to find a food or foods that my DCK's won't eat.

My daycare kiddos will eat ANY vegetable I serve.

The amount of fresh veggies they eat in a day would astound most providers.

For example, Friday alone (6 kids) we went though an entire head of cauliflower, 2 pints of cherry tomatoes and 4 bell peppers (1 red, 1 green, 1 orange, 1 yellow) and had coleslaw and steamed carrots with the rest of lunch. I NEVER have leftovers of anything.

In the summer, we have two raised garden beds.
My kiddos grow as much as they can! Being involved in the planting, growing and harvesting process helps a ton I think!
e.j. 06:38 PM 02-28-2016
The year before last, I had several kids who were very interested in trying foods they had never tried before. I gave them things like turnips, parsnips, brussel sprouts, avocado, pomelo, dried cranberries, jicama, kale and quinoa. A couple of the kids liked most of the foods enough that I started to use them more often in my menus.
Tags:food choices, picky eaters
Reply Up