Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Items Needed For Summer Care
Ac114 09:38 AM 02-27-2018
Hi all! This is my first year providing childcare for the summer and I’m composing a list of items that the children will need for outdoor play. So far I have...

1.Sunscreen (SPF 50 or higher) water resistant and spray preferred but not required.
2.Play shoes. These shoes will get muddy, sandy, wet etc. They will be stored here as we will be going out twice a day.
3.2 changes of clothing for the day. These can also stay here and I will launder them and store them in their cubbies. We plan on having a lot of messy activity outside.
4.Hats, if you prefer but not required.
5.Swim wear. We will not be using the pool AT ALL. But we will have water play with a water table, sprinkler and slip n slide.
6.Water shoes (not required)

I’ll be providing water bottles for each child as well. Am I missing anything? We have a swing set, power wheels, tons of water play items etc, I don’t know if I’m missing anything.
Cat Herder 09:50 AM 02-27-2018
Make sure to specify no tie neck swimsuits and have medication forms filled out for the sunscreens.
Country Kids 10:29 AM 02-27-2018
Make sure you have a release form to allow for water play.

Check your rules on sun screen as we aren't allowed to use the spray kind on children.
daycarediva 10:38 AM 02-27-2018
I like SPF clothing. Towels? Swim diapers?

Two piece suits on everyone (easier for the bathroom)

NO FLIP FLOPS. Kids + flip flops=injuries.
Cat Herder 10:39 AM 02-27-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Check your rules on sun screen as we aren't allowed to use the spray kind on children.
Oh, great, something to look forward to. I have not been hit with that one, yet.

It is always something isn't it?
Ac114 10:57 AM 02-27-2018
Does anyone have a sample release form for water play that I could tweak?
Country Kids 11:03 AM 02-27-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
If I knew how to download one and pm it to you I would! Maybe someone who knows how to do that can.
Blackcat31 11:06 AM 02-27-2018
I sent you the link to mine
Ac114 11:10 AM 02-27-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I sent you the link to mine
Thank you sooo much!
lblanke 07:36 PM 02-27-2018
Sun screen stick works great for faces. If outdoor water play, rash guard shirt (swim shirt)
Blackcat31 07:05 AM 02-28-2018
Hi all! This is my first year providing childcare for the summer and I’m composing a list of items that the children will need for outdoor play. So far I have...

1.Sunscreen (SPF 50 or higher) water resistant and spray preferred but not required.

I require parent's to supply whatever brand/type they want AND I require the parent to apply the first application prior to drop off as we sometimes head right outside if the weather is nice. As for additional applications, it only takes me a few minutes to slather them all up. My state does not dictate the type a parent chooses to buy.

2.Play shoes. These shoes will get muddy, sandy, wet etc. They will be stored here as we will be going out twice a day.

I require well fitting shoes with laces. They must remain at daycare. I do not allow sandals or flip flops and don't even ask me about Croc's Well fitting shoes are the foundation of healthy safe play.

3.2 changes of clothing for the day. These can also stay here and I will launder them and store them in their cubbies. We plan on having a lot of messy activity outside.

All families must bring seasonally appropriate clothing and launder when needed as attempting to launder on my own became a nightmare so parents can manage their own child's belongings. The only item I allowed to remain at daycare and that I would launder as needed were their swim suits.

4.Hats, if you prefer but not required.

ALL children are required to wear a hat. Sunglasses are also permitted IF the child is okay with the adult (me) managing them. If the child simply treats them like a toy, verses wearing them, they don't get to have them at daycare at all.

5.Swim wear. We will not be using the pool AT ALL. But we will have water play with a water table, sprinkler and slip n slide.

We do all the same activities so I will forewarn you a Slip N Slide is a big old PITA as it does nothing but cause kids to push, shove and of course fall straight backwards and bonk their heads... I think Slip N Slides are geared more for much older kids and not those in the under 7 crowd.

6.Water shoes (not required)

I too, thought this was a nice idea..until parent's started bringing me the silliest water shoes ever....now I just have them go barefoot when participating in water play. It's easiest and probably safest in my experience.

I’ll be providing water bottles for each child as well. Am I missing anything? We have a swing set, power wheels, tons of water play items etc, I don’t know if I’m missing anything.
I replied in red above with my 2 cents...
Ac114 09:05 AM 03-01-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I replied in red above with my 2 cents...
Thank you! I didn’t even think about sunglasses! That’s a good one. I appreciate everyone’s replies.
Tags:medication - policy, strangulation risk, water play
Reply Up