Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Snack ideas
mamamanda 03:26 PM 08-01-2015
So, I'm in need of some new snack ideas. I try to do a protein and a veggie or fruit, but most of my protein ideas are dairy. We do yogurt, cheese stick, cottage cheese, etc. I have a new dcg starting full time this week and she is lactose intolerant so I'm trying to come up with new ideas. We do a lot of peanut butter, but any suggestions would be welcomed
nothingwithoutjoy 06:28 PM 08-01-2015
My kids love chik peas for snack, or black beans.

This time of year, you can do protein and a fruit as popsicles, and can make them with almond milk for the protein.

I do lots of nuts at snack.
Baby Beluga 09:35 PM 08-01-2015
Many of my children can't have dairy - here are some of our favorite snacks:

*Applegate turkey hotdog and raw veggie
*Nitrate free ham/turkey or shredded chicken and raw (or lightly steamed) veggie
*PB and apples
*Ants on a log (celery, PB and raisins)
*"Sushi" (whole wheat tortilla, PB and thinly sliced banana rolled up and then sliced to look like sushi)
*Homemade fruit smoothies with added kale and spinach
*Lightly steamed broccoli and plain triscuits
*Hard boiled eggs served with fruit or sliced thin and put on wheat bread
*Beans...my kiddos love black and pinto beans
*Hummus and veggies or hummus and pita bread
*Nuts and dried fruit (our favorite is cashews and dried cherries)
Josiegirl 03:23 AM 08-02-2015
Your lists sound great but some of my dcks wouldn't touch them. I love serving veggie platters with hummus. But also offer crackers because there are some here who won't touch a veggie to save their life.
nothingwithoutjoy 06:52 AM 08-02-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Your lists sound great but some of my dcks wouldn't touch them. I love serving veggie platters with hummus. But also offer crackers because there are some here who won't touch a veggie to save their life.
If I want kids to eat veggies for snack and worry they won't eat them, I do the opposite of what you're saying: I make sure to offer no easy alternative like crackers. Given a choice, kids'll always choose crackers or bread. So I offer several choices of veggies instead. If they're hungry enough, they'll eat them. A typical snack here in the summer is a plate of snap peas, green beans, carrots, and cucumbers. It all gets eaten.
Baby Beluga 09:06 PM 08-02-2015
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
If I want kids to eat veggies for snack and worry they won't eat them, I do the opposite of what you're saying: I make sure to offer no easy alternative like crackers. Given a choice, kids'll always choose crackers or bread. So I offer several choices of veggies instead. If they're hungry enough, they'll eat them. A typical snack here in the summer is a plate of snap peas, green beans, carrots, and cucumbers. It all gets eaten.

I have parents fill out a "getting to know you" form prior to their child's enrollment. Every single parent has written on that sheet that their child will not eat veggies. Within 1 month of enrollment all of those kids (with the exception of one) happily eat veggies now.
mamamanda 04:01 AM 08-03-2015
I love all of these ideas! Thank you!!!
Tags:snack ideas
Reply Up