Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Runner
BabyMonkeys 12:31 PM 02-22-2016
I have two 26m and a 20m little boys. I have had them all since birth. They all love to see the other mommies and daddies when they come. They will yell "R's mommy is here!" The parents all love it.

Friday one of the 26m ran to see a parent and ran right past them and out the front door. He ran almost to the sidewalk before I caught him! He is not allowed to join the welcome committee anymore!

He tried that again today when we went to the park. He knows the rules are that you hold hands until we get out of the parking lot.

His parents say he does the same thing at home. I told them that this can not happen and that we need to work together to prevent this from happening again. They agree and will do whatever I suggest. Unfortunately I am at a loss as to what to suggest! I only spanked my kids a handful of times, but I would have spanked their little butts for this one!
Thriftylady 12:33 PM 02-22-2016
You will have to find his currency. Every child has one. Take that item, privilege, whatever away EVERY single time. Talk to him about it first and let him know this will happen. Have parents follow though at home.
Blackcat31 12:42 PM 02-22-2016
Originally Posted by angelw2babies:
I have two 26m and a 20m little boys. I have had them all since birth. They all love to see the other mommies and daddies when they come. They will yell "R's mommy is here!" The parents all love it.

Friday one of the 26m ran to see a parent and ran right past them and out the front door. He ran almost to the sidewalk before I caught him! He is not allowed to join the welcome committee anymore!

He tried that again today when we went to the park. He knows the rules are that you hold hands until we get out of the parking lot.

His parents say he does the same thing at home. I told them that this can not happen and that we need to work together to prevent this from happening again. They agree and will do whatever I suggest. Unfortunately I am at a loss as to what to suggest! I only spanked my kids a handful of times, but I would have spanked their little butts for this one!
I taught my kiddos that ANY time someone announces someone's parent, they are to immediately sit.

They can wave, yell hello, whatever they want but unless its their parent, they stay sitting unless I tell them otherwise.

It started as a game of Red Light, Green Light and now they just instinctively sit when a parent's arrival is announced.

I would start "practicing" their listening skills and see if you can get them to act swiftly when you say whatever word you want to use to get their attention and immediate response.

Kind of like a fire drill.... figure out a routine, the language you will use and then practice, practice, practice.

Safety rules are a must but they can still be fun.
Annalee 04:16 PM 02-22-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I taught my kiddos that ANY time someone announces someone's parent, they are to immediately sit.

They can wave, yell hello, whatever they want but unless its their parent, they stay sitting unless I tell them otherwise.

It started as a game of Red Light, Green Light and now they just instinctively sit when a parent's arrival is announced.

I would start "practicing" their listening skills and see if you can get them to act swiftly when you say whatever word you want to use to get their attention and immediate response.

Kind of like a fire drill.... figure out a routine, the language you will use and then practice, practice, practice.

Safety rules are a must but they can still be fun.
I love this idea! Going to try it! Thanks, BC!
Ariana 05:22 PM 02-22-2016
My niece was like this and her daycare provider made her hold onto the stroller at all times while walking. She may have used some sort of restraint like a rope for her to hold but I can't be sure. We had a runner at daycare but he was a special needs child and we basically had to get volunteers to come and help whenever we were on outings. Runners are tough!
Unregistered 08:51 AM 02-23-2016
I would have him wear one of those backpack leashes on on outings and if need be during pick up and drop off times.
Unregistered 09:42 AM 02-23-2016
Make it a game...with consequences. The rules at my house that seem to work are NO ONE is allowed past a certain line by the door without an adult there and we worked and talked about it. When we go outside my "runners" hold on to the stroller or I pair them up with a "non-runner" which is usually one of the older children. We play lots of "Red Light Green Light" and work weekly on commands like "come back", "stop", and "sit down" with stickers being rewarded for being fast. IF they run away at the park, to the park, or home from the park you become my shadow which isn't any fun.
auntymimi 09:52 AM 02-23-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Make it a game...with consequences. The rules at my house that seem to work are NO ONE is allowed past a certain line by the door without an adult there and we worked and talked about it. When we go outside my "runners" hold on to the stroller or I pair them up with a "non-runner" which is usually one of the older children. We play lots of "Red Light Green Light" and work weekly on commands like "come back", "stop", and "sit down" with stickers being rewarded for being fast. IF they run away at the park, to the park, or home from the park you become my shadow which isn't any fun.
This is what i do as well. 2 yo dcg would run from mom often, and mom would laugh and chase her, such fun! Except when you're a daycare provider with 6 kids under the age of 6, then it becomes a serious liability. We would practice "freeze" a game like red light green light in the fenced in back yard, and when we went for walks it was only on our bike/hike trail. that way if she did run she wouldn't be hit by a car. The one time she tried it on the trail, I refused to chase her. I was very stern and our walk ended immediately. She never did it again. I made her "prove" to me she could handle walking with our group before we went anywhere like the park.
Controlled Chaos 11:16 AM 02-23-2016
Our word is "freeze". We play freeze dance and red light green light. On walks if I yell FREEZE and a child doesnt freeze, they have to hold on to the stroller the rest of the walk. I also discourage children from approaching other dck's parents. 2 in particular have to be at a table activity during pick up since they have attention seeking behaviors that upset the other kids.
BabyMonkeys 04:24 PM 02-23-2016
Yesterday at pick up my little runner yanked away from his dad's hand and ran across the street. Thankfully I live in a neighborhood, so it wasn't like he crossed a main road, but still NOT acceptable. The father seemed shocked. If the parents didn't care, or thought it was funny, I would absolutely term. They are really good parents though, and they are as concerned as I am.

We decided that we are going to practice the "freeze!" game both here and at home. When we go out he will wear his monkey backpack (baby leash) until we get to the enclosed park.

I really hope this works!
Controlled Chaos 09:11 PM 02-23-2016
Originally Posted by angelw2babies:
Yesterday at pick up my little runner yanked away from his dad's hand and ran across the street. Thankfully I live in a neighborhood, so it wasn't like he crossed a main road, but still NOT acceptable. The father seemed shocked. If the parents didn't care, or thought it was funny, I would absolutely term. They are really good parents though, and they are as concerned as I am.

We decided that we are going to practice the "freeze!" game both here and at home. When we go out he will wear his monkey backpack (baby leash) until we get to the enclosed park.

I really hope this works!

Hope it helps!
Reply Up