Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Think I Need to Close Up Shop!
LindseyA 07:49 AM 02-23-2016
My husband is the bread winner, has an amazing job with great pay and great benefits. He fell very ill (was recently diagnosed with two different major autoimmune diseases) and needed short term disability. That runs out next week and the plan was for him to go back to work March 1st. Well, my husband's doctors have JUST come to the conclusion that he needs to apply for long term disability and social security, and not go back to work next week. We know that the application process for long term usually gets denied the first time, and can take months to get approved. That puts us in a pickle. We cannot live on my income alone for months and months as we go thru this application period. I think there's no other option than to close my daycare and me & my husband switch jobs. He will be home to get our kids on & off the bus, stay home with them when they are sick, etc. While I go to work outside the home. I am just sad and a little nervous as to how much notice I give the dcps. My contracts say 2 weeks, but I feel that's not enough time. But on the flip side, every week more I give, will be less money for my family.
Ariana 07:59 AM 02-23-2016
Stick to your contract! Do what is right for you and your family. They wouldn't think twice about only giving you two weeks.
MunchkinWrangler 08:16 AM 02-23-2016
I agree, they wouldn't bat an eyelash if their situation was the same. I would make sure to find a job first and then give your notice. You have to do what's best for your family!

I'm sorry you have to make such a tough decision. I hope everything works out well for you and your husband.
childcaremom 08:21 AM 02-23-2016
Stick to your contract. Put your family first.
Blackcat31 08:34 AM 02-23-2016
Have you considered expanding? If your DH is able to, can he be a second caregiver and run child care with you?

Sometimes that is a great way to make additional income. Especially when you are uncertain of how long the process for long term disability is.
LindseyA 11:18 AM 02-23-2016
Thanks all, I think I just needed some reassuring to stick with the two weeks. I know there will probably be some PO parents. Black Cat, my husband is my Substitute so that could be another option to expand. That thought didn't cross my mind, so thank you. This situation is the most stressful thing I've had to deal with.
Josiegirl 02:59 AM 02-24-2016
No advice, just hoping it all works out for you and your dh!!! Will his insurance stay and keep you on? One of the few downsides to this job is lack of benefits. Some we can change within our policies(paid days off, etc.) but insurance would be costly.
midaycare 04:21 AM 02-24-2016
I would not expand because if disability finds out your dh is making an income that way, he will be denied. They will say he is capable of working.

Disabilitu can take at least 2 years to get approved. I'm so sorry. Also, autoimmunes are the hardest to get approved. And they won't even consider your dh's application until he has been unemployed for a year.
LindseyA 07:12 AM 02-24-2016
Josiegirl, in the paperwork, it says that he will be able to keep his current benefits (except his 401k) but it doesn't specify if that includes the family. We are looking into it. Midaycare, that's another thing we are worried about. All the limitations he will have. Some as far as if he is seen carrying in groceries they can cancel everything, because he will have lifting restrictions. With autoimmune, he has good days and bad days. So on good days, he will be paranoid with fear of breaking a rule. This is so confusing. As of last night, my husband announced that he will just have to go to work next week, and push thru his health issues.
midaycare 08:08 AM 02-24-2016
Do you have an opportunity to go make more money with another job right away? Even if he goes back to work, if he knows that you are capable of taking care of things if he gets sick again, that might give you both peace of mind.

But if it is not a big difference in income, don't do it.

I've been living with autoimmune issues for 19 years. You are welcome to PM me if you would like to talk. I have experience with a variety of them. I can lead you to resources and diets that make a big difference, too.
BabyMonkeys 04:00 PM 02-24-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I would not expand because if disability finds out your dh is making an income that way, he will be denied. They will say he is capable of working.
As far as expanding, are you at full capacity now? I know my license allows me to have significantly more children than I am comfortable taking care of. If my husband were to stay home, I would be able to handle more, without him actually technically being the one earning the income.

Is your husband filing for disability from the government, or does he have a separate policy through his employer? I know my husband pays extra out of each paycheck for both short term and long term disability. Our long term disability kicks in immediately after his short term ends. His long term disability only covers 80% of his income though.
LindseyA 05:11 PM 02-24-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Do you have an opportunity to go make more money with another job right away? Even if he goes back to work, if he knows that you are capable of taking care of things if he gets sick again, that might give you both peace of mind.

But if it is not a big difference in income, don't do it.

I've been living with autoimmune issues for 19 years. You are welcome to PM me if you would like to talk. I have experience with a variety of them. I can lead you to resources and diets that make a big difference, too.
I don't have a job I could just slide right into. I have a couple options available, but no guarantee. Thank you for the kind words.
LindseyA 05:21 PM 02-24-2016
Originally Posted by angelw2babies:
As far as expanding, are you at full capacity now? I know my license allows me to have significantly more children than I am comfortable taking care of. If my husband were to stay home, I would be able to handle more, without him actually technically being the one earning the income.

Is your husband filing for disability from the government, or does he have a separate policy through his employer? I know my husband pays extra out of each paycheck for both short term and long term disability. Our long term disability kicks in immediately after his short term ends. His long term disability only covers 80% of his income though.
I am at full capacity at the moment. He has a policy through his employer and we've learned that his long term disability kicks in pretty much immediately. Whew! It only covers 60% of his normal pay though. We will have to crunch some numbers and see if we can make it work and keep daycare open!
Reply Up