Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Accidents During Nap?
NillaWafers 08:23 PM 02-25-2016
Another question, same DCB 4.5, he is 100% potty trained when awake (and has been for at least 1.5 years). However, he has had 2 poop accidents (since June 2015) and pees during nap time at least 1-2 times a month. He is asleep when this happens. I make him clean himself up, and his mat if this happens.

His mom is getting frustrated as am I, but she wants me to put him in a pullup at naptime, none of my potty trained kids need to be put in a pullup - it kinda ruins my flow. Is it ridiculous of me to tell her that he has to wear pullups, period here?

I am sending her that article on constipation I read here. What else can I/should I do? I can understand night-time wetting being a thing, but nap-time is only 2 hr, and the first sign of potty-readiness is waking up dry.
pandamom 08:50 PM 02-25-2016
I'd probably just do the pull up. I change diapers and send potty trained kids to the toilet before lunch. During this time I put pull ups on the of kids that need it for nap. It helps keep the transition from lunch to nap easy since they already have the pull up on
Play Care 03:18 AM 02-26-2016
Originally Posted by pandamom:
I'd probably just do the pull up. I change diapers and send potty trained kids to the toilet before lunch. During this time I put pull ups on the of kids that need it for nap. It helps keep the transition from lunch to nap easy since they already have the pull up on

I do understand about "flow" but he should be able to take care of that with minimal assistance.
Second Home 05:43 AM 02-26-2016
I have had many kids who needed a pull up during naps only . They would go to the bathroom and put their own pull up on after lunch and then take it back off after nap before snack . Much easier than having to clean up the wet cot .
Baby Beluga 05:56 AM 02-26-2016
I too have had many kids need a pull-up for nap. Usually they are awake trained here for a couple of months before learning how to remain dry during nap.

I have one who has been awake potty trained for about 6 months and still wears a pull-up during nap. He wets himself about twice a week. I send him to the potty after lunch he puts on his own pull up and clothes then lays on his cot for nap. After nap he goes to the bathroom with a grocery bag, takes his pull up off, puts in the bag, gets redressed, washes hands and brings me the bag.
Blackcat31 06:13 AM 02-26-2016
Originally Posted by Second Home:
I have had many kids who needed a pull up during naps only . They would go to the bathroom and put their own pull up on after lunch and then take it back off after nap before snack . Much easier than having to clean up the wet cot .
This. I don't see how its an issue for the provider if the child pretty much does it himself.

I'd much rather deal with that then having to deal with a child going back into Pull-ups all the time and/or deal with cleaning up a soiled child and soiled nap cot.

I also think having him go back to wearing a Pull up all day might confuse him and cause day time regression
Kimskiddos 06:26 AM 02-26-2016
Originally Posted by Second Home:
This, I have a 4yo who is not happy about quiet time some days. Most days he sleeps fine. He finally trained a couple of months ago. You are welcome Mom and Dad....they were doing nothing! Anyway if he doesn't want to rest he will sometimes pee and I believe it is for control, not an accident. So now if he wets he has to go back into pullups at nap until dry for 2 weeks and he does all the changing himself. I am hoping having to mess with all that will make him realize it is not fun or a good way to gain control. Happily just 2 days ago he did get up and quietly ask to use the potty instead of peeing in his pull up.

So after all that, just let the kid change himself. Little to no work for the provider.
Leigh 07:35 AM 02-26-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This. I don't see how its an issue for the provider if the child pretty much does it himself.

I'd much rather deal with that then having to deal with a child going back into Pull-ups all the time and/or deal with cleaning up a soiled child and soiled nap cot.

I also think having him go back to wearing a Pull up all day might confuse him and cause day time regression

NillaWafers 08:20 AM 02-26-2016
You guys are right, as always. I told her that's fine and asked for pull-ups starting today. Thanks
Blackcat31 08:31 AM 02-26-2016
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
You guys are right, as always. I told her that's fine and asked for pull-ups starting today. Thanks
Re-reading this thread... I do understand where you are coming from... accident = back into pull ups until accident free for two weeks.

Normally that would be the case but I guess I was focused on the "100% trained when awake" statement so back into pull ups just wouldnt make sense...kwim?

Since he is only having these accidents 1-2 times a month, have you noticed any type of reason or particular circumstances in which these accidents are happening?

Such as a Mondays (maybe over tired) or if it's happening right before he gets sick or is anxious about anything?

Is it happening at home at night? If so how often?

I guess as long as it's so infrequent and that he can change himself, I would still go the Pull ups for nap route but I would definitely suggest to mom that she discuss this with the child's pediatrician too just in case there may be an underlying medical reason.
NillaWafers 08:45 AM 02-26-2016
It seems to co-incide with parents vacation/stay at the grandparents. He is not in care at that time. She says she has a really hard time getting him back on track after he comes back from their house.
mamamanda 04:25 PM 02-26-2016
At that age he should be able to put the pull up on and take it off again without assistance just like getting dressed with underwear in the morning. It might take you a couple days to get him into the routine, but then you should be good.

My 4 year old pretty much potty trained himself and really early. He was in underwear full time at 22 mo. That being said, he didn't start waking up dry from nap until just after he turned 4. At 4.5 he still pees during the night. He sleeps hard and is completely unaware. If he takes a nap I don't worry about it b/c he's able to control it for that length of time, but at night time we just put a diaper on him. He actually prefers it b/c he is so anxious about having an accident when he sleeps. He's not lazy, just truly unaware. Having an accident doesn't wake him up. I think some kids just take longer to develop the skill needed to control that during sleep.
mamamanda 04:28 PM 02-26-2016
Sorry. Don't know why my previous comment has a grinning smiley face on it.
jenboo 06:19 PM 02-26-2016
My brother wet the bed until he was around 10. He ended up having to get some kind of medicine for it.
I would just have dcb do the pull up himself.
Thriftylady 06:28 PM 02-26-2016
I agree have him do the pull up. I have one that will be 5 next month. He wets the bed and has had one accident when napping (he doesn't sleep every day). I don't do a pull up on him since it has only happened once. The other thought if you are really against the pull up is get some of those pads to go under him instead?
Tags:nap - accidents, poops - during nap
Reply Up