Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Large Soft Spot And Preventing Injury
GotKids 06:41 AM 07-19-2011
I care for a a baby who is just now 5 months old. He has a very, very large soft spot and even though it is slowly getting smaller is still about 4x3 (not exaggerating). He has been seen by the dr and right the dr has done exams and is repeating them to make sure it is getting smaller. He told the mom that if it doesn't close by 2 then there would be an issue.

My concern is this 5 month old already crawls really well, pulls himself to standing position and is now falling a good bit. I am really worried about his head getting hurt. What wouldn't be a big deal to another baby, could be really bad for him. How do I address these concerns with the mom without insulting her or looking incompetent?
nannyde 06:49 AM 07-19-2011
YIKES

pulling to a standing position at five months is doing pretty darn good.

I wouldn't be able to keep him safe so I can't offer any advice.
dEHmom 07:02 AM 07-19-2011
sorry probably not much help, but what about some sort of helmet? not a heavy one that he cannot hold his head up with.

but i've seen babies like this have to wear those soft white helmets to protect their heads.
MommyMuffin 05:06 PM 07-19-2011
my daughter had cranial surgery at 5 months for craniosynostosis and I requested a helmet from my dr for daycare. It was not a hard helmet, just thick and soft. Might be worth having the parents ask the dr. It didnt cost me anything for the helmet.
Cat Herder 05:27 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by GotKids:
I care for a a baby who is just now 5 months old. He has a very, very large soft spot and even though it is slowly getting smaller is still about 4x3 (not exaggerating). He has been seen by the dr and right the dr has done exams and is repeating them to make sure it is getting smaller. He told the mom that if it doesn't close by 2 then there would be an issue.

My concern is this 5 month old already crawls really well, pulls himself to standing position and is now falling a good bit. I am really worried about his head getting hurt. What wouldn't be a big to another baby, could be really bad for him. How do I address these concerns with the mom without insulting her or looking incompetent?
Wow!! I have never had a 5 month old who could stand.

Could you request a doctors note clearing her for daycare? Maybe he/she would then realize what a huge risk that is for you and offer some safety equipment/help?

That is a really odd situation... My current 6 month old is doing the "army man" from across the room when I call her name 1 time and drinking well from a sippy...and I thought she was ahead of the curve...

Good luck, and PLEASE keep us updated on her development...that is a really interesting topic, IMHO.. You can pm me if you don't want specifics in open forum...she just sounds fascinating.
Hunni Bee 05:45 PM 07-19-2011
The pic is of my nephew at 6 months (now 20 months)...standing w/ not that much help . He walked at 9 months
Attached: caymie standing.jpg (61.1 KB) 
nannyde 05:45 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Wow!! I have never had a 5 month old who could stand.

Could you request a doctors note clearing her for daycare? Maybe he/she would then realize what a huge risk that is for you and offer some safety equipment/help?

That is a really odd situation... My current 6 month old is doing the "army man" from across the room when I call her name 1 time and drinking well from a sippy...and I thought she was ahead of the curve...

Good luck, and PLEASE keep us updated on her development...that is a really interesting topic, IMHO.. You can pm me if you don't want specifics in open forum...she just sounds fascinating.
See it on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-S1k..._order&list=UL

If you see the users videos you can see the baby at four months crawling.

YIKES
Cat Herder 05:50 PM 07-19-2011
I meant standing completely unassisted.....

Maybe it is in the chicken???

I guess I need to light a fire under my little guys...

To unregistered posters....that was not litteral.....

Fire hot, burn baby.
nannyde 06:04 PM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I meant standing completely unassisted.....

Maybe it is in the chicken???

I guess I need to light a fire under my little guys...

To unregistered posters....that was not litteral.....

Fire hot, burn baby.
I was pretty impressed with the pulling up at five months.

I had one little one that walked... really completely walked... at seven months one week. The Dad said she did it the week before but I can't testify to that.

It was VERY weird to see a tiny baby walking down the hallway. I made sure she showed all my dcp's. I told them take a look because you will most likely go your whole life and never see this again.
Unregistered 06:45 PM 07-19-2011
I agree that you should have her check with the Dr for advice. Since he is obviously aware of the issue, he might have some suggestions. Otherwise, OneStepAhead does sell a soft, padded baby helmet. It might not be a bad idea to bring this up for a conversation with the mother and require that she purchase this helmet. It's not that expensive and I would imagine that she shares some of your concerns. She has to understand that this is a unique situation, so it's not something you've planned for ahead of time.
countrymom 07:21 PM 07-19-2011
my ydd was walking really good at 9 months, I'll never forget it and by the time she turned one she was a running and climbing like all the big kids. And to this day nothing stops her (she's going to be 7 next week) rode a bike early, tied her shoe early, knows so much stuff than kids her age.
Meyou 12:58 AM 07-20-2011
My oldest dd crawled at 5.5 months, starting cruising on furniture at 6.5 and walked at 8.5 months. She was full on running by 12 months...not fun. She was 3.5 weeks overdue so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Even now at 12 she masters physical skills easily. My sister teaches hula hooping classes and performs hh tricks with a performance group and it drives her crazy when my dd can do a trick that took her months to master the first time she tries.

To the OP..I agree that a helmet would be safest. If he's a mover and a shaker then he's only going to be tumbling more not less.
dEHmom 05:50 AM 07-20-2011
my nephew at 3 weeks of age was scooching across the living room (laying on his back he'd arch his back and use his feet to push him. By 3 months he was doing this professionally lol. He was walking by 6 months assisted and unassisted by 7 months.
GotKids 05:26 PM 07-20-2011
As much as I love the little one Mom and I talked and with her only working 2 days a week a nanny might be a better situation than a child care with mixed ages and a 1:9 ratio. She wasn't big on the helmet idea and I am nervous wreck when he is here, I just know it only takes one second and he could be really hurt. She is a great lady and I told her to take her time and make sure found someone good. I am going to miss him but honestly without a helmet or one on one supervision he is an accident waiting to happen.

Thank you all who responded with advice I really do appreciate it.
Tags:fall, helmets, infant
Reply Up