Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What do you think?
daycarediva 04:06 PM 07-19-2012
Sorry in advance this is so long!

I have a 12 year old before and after school kid aging out when school starts in Early September. She has been here for years. I encourage parents to get them into an after school program when they go to intermediate school (3rd grade) because they need socialization with children their own age and aside from my own children I usually only take kids under 5. Her Mom has never done so because she is 'special needs'. She has ADHD and aspergers. Since I have a son on the autism pectrum I was the one who recognized it and helped her get a proper diagnosis and therapy. I have also been very understanding and forgiving of her behavior. She generally plays inappropriately(rides on toys even though she is bigger than I am and has broken things), acts too young, doesn't understand the why's of rules, and needs to have complete consistency-(I believe she has a photographic memory or close to it), or talks incessantly and appears rude.

Anyway, she was before and after, full time in summer and then she went down to 3 days per week when Mom's work hours were reduced. Her Mom refused to pay me what her contract stated because she just couldn't afford it and I allowed her to go part time. Her Mom now wants her as a drop in spot because Dad is willing to take her more since her behavior has improved. < a whole huge rant I am not even getting into. I said OK- on the condition that she could only come on days I had space for her. This has worked out for 6 weeks, but two of those weeks I had no income from her. I took a PT kid that has worked out amazingly well (one of those once in a lifetime awesome kids and awesome parents combos!)

My awesome PT kid (who she 'fills in' for on his missing days) wants to go FT ASAP. If I allow him to go FT I am at capacity and DCG won't be able to come at all. Not allowing DCB to go full time will force Mom to find new daycare. Dh says to just give her notice when she pays me Friday, because a FT spot > Per diem spot but providers know that it's ever that simple. I really care for this girl!

Thoughts? (and if you read all that, you're awesome!)
cheerfuldom 04:12 PM 07-19-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Sorry in advance this is so long!

I have a 12 year old before and after school kid aging out when school starts in Early September. She has been here for years. I encourage parents to get them into an after school program when they go to intermediate school (3rd grade) because they need socialization with children their own age and aside from my own children I usually only take kids under 5. Her Mom has never done so because she is 'special needs'. She has ADHD and aspergers. Since I have a son on the autism pectrum I was the one who recognized it and helped her get a proper diagnosis and therapy. I have also been very understanding and forgiving of her behavior. She generally plays inappropriately(rides on toys even though she is bigger than I am and has broken things), acts too young, doesn't understand the why's of rules, and needs to have complete consistency-(I believe she has a photographic memory or close to it), or talks incessantly and appears rude.

Anyway, she was before and after, full time in summer and then she went down to 3 days per week when Mom's work hours were reduced. Her Mom refused to pay me what her contract stated because she just couldn't afford it and I allowed her to go part time. Her Mom now wants her as a drop in spot because Dad is willing to take her more since her behavior has improved. < a whole huge rant I am not even getting into. I said OK- on the condition that she could only come on days I had space for her. This has worked out for 6 weeks, but two of those weeks I had no income from her. I took a PT kid that has worked out amazingly well (one of those once in a lifetime awesome kids and awesome parents combos!)

My awesome PT kid (who she 'fills in' for on his missing days) wants to go FT ASAP. If I allow him to go FT I am at capacity and DCG won't be able to come at all. Not allowing DCB to go full time will force Mom to find new daycare. Dh says to just give her notice when she pays me Friday, because a FT spot > Per diem spot but providers know that it's ever that simple. I really care for this girl!

Thoughts? (and if you read all that, you're awesome!)
I absolutely understand your dilemma to a T. I have the same situation. Full time special needs girl that I have had for years, going part time. I am considering terming now because I really need the income that a regular full timer would bring, plus this girl IS more work than even the babies in care because of her delays and such. I love her and have had her since she was an infant. The parents are wonderful. I know what everyone is going to tell us......always pick the full timer and the youngest kid that will be with you the longest. That decision is not easy though when you have invested so much into the child.

I am going to agree with all those and say that on paper, the best decision is not hold a full time spot for a part time child. But I sympathize with your emotions about the decision
EchoMom 04:18 PM 07-19-2012
I think you need to take the very well behaved FT kid and let the drop in go. However, that's much easier said than done when you have a relationship with the child and parents.
daycarediva 05:12 PM 07-19-2012
ugh. It just stinks! Mom of dcb couldn't have waited another 6 weeks to get that great ft job offer?
cheerfuldom 05:32 PM 07-19-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
ugh. It just stinks! Mom of dcb couldn't have waited another 6 weeks to get that great ft job offer?
yeah why cant they get it together and work on our timeline that would be nice!
DaisyMamma 04:53 AM 07-20-2012
It's not easy, but its business.
Take the FT kid who will be there a lot longer than she will.
Crazy8 05:10 AM 07-20-2012
I know its hard but you have to do what is best for your business and that of course means taking on the dcb full time. I would give the mom as much notice as you can but that her schedule just does not fit into your business anymore. It sucks but its what needs to be done!!
countrymom 05:33 AM 07-20-2012
I would take the full time over the girl. and the girl should be with kids her age. It will help her with her needs. When she's with the little kids, sure she's going to act like the little kids. Just let mom know that she has outgrown your program. (use the word "outgrown" it sounds nicer)
Blackcat31 07:10 AM 07-20-2012
business is business and full time trumps anything else.

FWIW~ I am only licensed to take kids up to age 10 so I couldn't have accommodated her anyways.
Tags:adhd, asperger's, special needs
Reply Up