Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Please help
Kym2098 06:11 AM 11-29-2012
Hi all,
I'm feeling so out of sorts... I just started daycare in May with one boy 15mo now 2x week
I recently took on 2 infants 6 weeks apart and they come 4-5 days a week.
Since the infants have been coming I've had a horrible upset stomach from nerves! And I'm crying before they get here! So ridiculous and childish!
You all seem to have it under control! I am asking myself everyday if this is the right thing for me and I'm still unsure. I am thinking about letting a full timer go, but want it to happen ASAP as my nerves are shot! I state in the contract I will give 2 weeks but I don't think I can hold on much longer.
I also have to leave the state wed. The 5th to help my mom move from TN to NJ
And the holidays are upon us! It's all too much!!!!
Thank you for reading this...
Blackcat31 06:26 AM 11-29-2012
First off, I am sorry you are feeling overwhelmed right now.

Is there any one child that is getting to you or is it just the all of them together as a whole that has got your nerves so overworked?

Are they pretty good babies? on a schedule and eating and napping well? Are you feeling pressured by the parents or is it just the daily grind of caring for needy little people?
SilverSabre25 06:26 AM 11-29-2012
First off, ((hugs)) it sounds like you're under a lot of stress right now! Take a deep breath and just relax--you'll find a solution.

What is it about having these infants that's stressing you out so much? Is one or both of them a crier? Are they just too much work for you? Is it too tough to balance the babies and the toddler?
Mom&Provider 07:07 AM 11-29-2012
{{hugs}} sorry you are feeling crazy stressed!! Do you think it's just because they are infants or do you think you'd feel the same way even if they were say around the age of two?

Maybe you're better off caring for children a bit older?

If you really feel like it's falling apart, can afford to loose one of the wee ones, then try it and see how you feel.
melilley 09:20 AM 11-29-2012
Originally Posted by Mom&Provider:
{{hugs}} sorry you are feeling crazy stressed!! Do you think it's just because they are infants or do you think you'd feel the same way even if they were say around the age of two?

Maybe you're better off caring for children a bit older?

If you really feel like it's falling apart, can afford to loose one of the wee ones, then try it and see how you feel.
I agree, maybe it is because they are infants. Some ages are harder for some providers than others....I prefer infants over older children although I can only legally care for two , but that's just my preference. Infants are more demanding, but I love it and at the same time I know other providers who prefer older children. What I'm trying to say is that maybe you are stressed because they are infants (you did say since they started coming you have been feeling stressed) and I agree with Mom&Provider, try it without them and see how it goes before deciding if this profession is a right fit for you. Being a provider is a demanding job and it can be very stressful.(and rewarding) Like many parents have said to me, "I don't know how you do this", but at the same time I don't know how some of them can do their jobs like sitting at a desk! Caring for older children may make you see that it is a right fit for you...or not
Sorry this is so long! Good Luck!
bunnyslippers 10:28 AM 11-29-2012
I am sorry you are feeling this way. The first year I was open, I often felt this way. I can remember just sitting on the edge of my bed in the morning and crying. I also would be a nervous wreck all day, just waiting for something to go wrong, or for a baby to wake up, or for someone to get hurt.

I think a lot of what I was feeling was anxiety over making sure I was doing everything perfect, all of the time. As time went on, I got into my own routine and it got easier. Now it is still stressful, but for different reasons.

Can you give us a little more info about what is happening? There are so many
wonderful providers on here who can help you arrive at a solution.

Hang in there! Try to keep it in perspecive, as hard as that is to do sometimes...we have ALL been where you are right now!
Kym2098 06:00 PM 11-29-2012
Thanks everyone for the support.
I got into daycare because I was unemployed since 2010, I worked 10yrs outside the home (office job) and when unemployment was starting to run out, I still wanted to be home with my own daughter, so I decided to do daycare. I figured I'd watch a few children and I'd do great... I put on a good front but I feel like a prisoner in my own home! I feel like I can't move wo waking someone!
I feel comfortable for the most part watching 2 at a time but 3 is way to stressful! With the diapers and feedings and CRYING, I want to cry myself and I do.
My husband says it'll get easier and maybe it will... But I know I won't have these 3 kids forever and there will be new ones to adjust to. I am suppose to have another new one in March!!! Which if everything stays the same I would have 3 infants most days omg!
My husband thinks I should stick it out and even tho he's nice enough not to say it, that I'm being a baby myself. My stomach is sick on the days I have all 3 or even 2! I think its the uncertainty of it all.
The kids I watch are pretty good.. The infants could nap longer but not a lot I can do about that, one is fussy and cries for no reason that I can figure out, which stresses me but babies cry and fuss.
I think I miss my easy life when I was unemployed.
I have to work. My husband thinks I also need to be more open about where or far I may work if I don't do daycare. I have stipulations like I don't want to work far from home, maybe a 10mi radius and he thinks I need to be more flexible on that, but I don't want to commute and I want to be close to home for my daughter. He tries to be understanding but I know he's frustrated.
At the end of the day I am disappointed in myself, I feel like a failure and lost.

I'm not going to make any rash decisions, I plan on giving it a few more weeks and seeing if I fall into a routine more.
If not, then someone has to go, and if I let the right person go I could cut my days down from 5 to 4 and have Fridays off. My husband is worried tho I won't make enough to pay taxes if I let someone go.
At the end of the day my happiness is most important...

I also have had a lot of family problems with my mom and wo going into the whole story it has been extremely stressful as well.

I appreciate the hugs and support and kind words. I know I'm not alone!
Thanks again!
LK5kids 06:34 AM 11-30-2012
Do you think things would be going better with older kids? I know I can only handle one infant and one toddler. The rest have to be older. That's always been my limit. Right now I had to decide if I wanted to take on a 3 mo. old and a 7 mo. old. I had to decide against taking both and I'll only be enrolling one. I know myself and I just can't do it.

We can't be ALL things to all people.
Tags:overwhelmed, stressed
Reply Up