Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Did you Inform Parents of New Rates/Policies?
sahm1225 05:12 PM 11-22-2010
I have to change my policy (I currently have a 'only pay for the days you are here' policy and it's being taken advantage of and I will end up shutting down because I just cant afford it financially).

So I wrote out my new contracts and handbooks and the new families that I have taken in already know about it. I have 3 other families that dont have a clue...

I am also raising rates (I am WAY lower than the daycares in the area AND I include all meals which none of the other daycares do).

I informed the parents that we will do our annual check-in and review our new handbook, but now I am wondering how do I do it?
Should I have a notice that says "New Rates & Policies Effective Jan 1st" and start with that? Do I read the handbook with them or just give it to them to read?
My4SunshineGirlsNY 04:15 AM 11-23-2010
I have a separate rate sheet aside from my contract. That way it is clear and doesn't get overlooked in all the other reading. At the top stated RATES AS OF..(date goes here). If you want, you can state your reason for switching from pay only when your here to pay if you're here or not...you don't have to, but I would just throw in a little sentance stating I cannot afford to plan my bills this way and that is why I am switching.

I give my full time parents 10 non paid days per year for when they are absent but I only allow them 1 in a week so they don't decide to use 3-4 in one week and leave me with little to no pay.
momma2girls 05:52 AM 11-23-2010
I have never gone up on my rates, besides moving to a larger city. I would implement these in the New Year's contract.
TGT09 06:56 AM 11-23-2010
I sent out a copy of my new handbook along with an addendum contract that states they read the new handbook. I highlight the areas that have changed. I actually dropped my rates in areas and raised them in others. I did basically the same thing as the handbook.
AfterSchoolMom 07:53 AM 11-23-2010
I do school year childcare, so when I raised my rates, I told them in June and it became effective in September. I figured if I was too expensive, that would give them time to find someone else and for me to get new families.

Since you're full time, I too would suggest January as the start date for new rates, and give them the info now so that there is a good span of time for them to get used to the idea.

If nothing else in the handbook has changed, I'd just do an addendum and make them sign. If you've changed other things as well, it may be beneficial to sit down with them and go over the changes, or else they'll probably conveniently "forget" to read the new policies.
Greenshadow 10:00 AM 11-23-2010
I raised my rates a month or two after starting my daycare. I stated why and gave them a notice in writing as well as a verbal one. They were allowed two weeks to conform to the new rates or find other care. Nobody left!
DCMom 10:13 AM 11-23-2010
I would probably would just give it to them December 1, with a cover letter saying something to the effect:

Dear Parents,

Enclosed please find your copy of my new rates and policy handbook. These policies will go into effect January 1, 2011. Please review and contact me with any questions.

Sincerely,
sahm1225

Of course, MY cover letter would be long and wordy but you get the idea

I also have a separate one-page sheet that states rates and late fees, also that they have read the policy handbook. The parents sign for my records (and they get a copy). That way that way they can't say they 'didn't know'

Good Luck
Tags:paid holidays, policy
Reply Up