Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long Should A 3 Month Old Sleep During The Day?
marniewon 10:38 AM 01-31-2011
Or at one time? I have him from 1-5 and he barely sleeps here. If he does, it's 10-15 minutes in the 4 hours that he's here. At home today he napped for 45 minutes - that's it. He also wakes a few times during the night. It just seems like he should be sleeping more than he's awake at this age (everyone else I know did) but he's barely sleeping at all.
lil angels 10:44 AM 01-31-2011
Hopefully he is in a good mood for you. I have a dcg that is 8 months and she will sleep for an hr all day and that is how it has been since she started at 6 wks. Cat naps of 15 min here and there. It drives me nuts but she is very very good for me so I try not to think about it. In my ten yrs I have had one other like this but the other one that I had I found out mom always held him while he slept. So here to lay him down was really hard.
Little People 10:46 AM 01-31-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
Or at one time? I have him from 1-5 and he barely sleeps here. If he does, it's 10-15 minutes in the 4 hours that he's here. At home today he napped for 45 minutes - that's it. He also wakes a few times during the night. It just seems like he should be sleeping more than he's awake at this age (everyone else I know did) but he's barely sleeping at all.
Could be that mom has already given him a long nap?? and just not saying anything?
marniewon 10:56 AM 01-31-2011
Originally Posted by lil angels:
Hopefully he is in a good mood for you. I have a dcg that is 8 months and she will sleep for an hr all day and that is how it has been since she started at 6 wks. Cat naps of 15 min here and there. It drives me nuts but she is very very good for me so I try not to think about it. In my ten yrs I have had one other like this but the other one that I had I found out mom always held him while he slept. So here to lay him down was really hard.
No, he's not good in between - he screams. He won't do anything "independent" like tummy time or in an activity seat or anything like that for more than a few minutes without crying. He's used to being held and sleeping in his swing, and we are working on that, but every other child I've known slept way more than this at this age, including my own kids who never seemed to need much sleep.

Originally Posted by Little People:
Could be that mom has already given him a long nap?? and just not saying anything?
No, she works, dad stays home with him. He may have lied to her or she could be lying to me, but she said he napped for 45 minutes this morning. This is my 4th week with him and he's always been like this for me.
momofsix 11:01 AM 01-31-2011
My almost 3 month old sleeps most of the time still. Naps, wakes up to be changed and fed, plays for a little and then i lay her back down to sleep. Today whe was up for 1&1/2 hours in the am, and that is long for her-but she was so happy so I kept her up When she starts to fuss, I swaddle her good and tight, lay her down and she's asleep w/in 5 minutes She's a very good baby, with very good parents...I know I'm lucky
marniewon 11:05 AM 01-31-2011
Originally Posted by momofsix:
My almost 3 month old sleeps most of the time still. Naps, wakes up to be changed and fed, plays for a little and then i lay her back down to sleep. Today whe was up for 1&1/2 hours in the am, and that is long for her-but she was so happy so I kept her up When she starts to fuss, I swaddle her good and tight, lay her down and she's asleep w/in 5 minutes She's a very good baby, with very good parents...I know I'm lucky
You ARE lucky!! Like I said, every child I've ever known has slept way more than this during the day. And I have to say, if he was happy awake, it would not bother me in the least! But he just screams because he IS tired but won't/can't go to sleep.
AfterSchoolMom 11:27 AM 01-31-2011
That's funny, I just got on here to make a nearly identical post!! My new 3 month old DCG will noooooot sleep. I've tried everything - rocking, holding her, swaddling her, a dark room, quiet, white noise...nothing works. The most she's slept while here so far is an hour, and that's because she fell asleep in the car seat on the way here. 15-20 minutes between 1-5pm is the best I can get out of her, if she falls asleep while eating. If not, forget it.

She's getting ready to come from 8-5, and I'm not going to be able to hold/rock her to sleep. I'd love some advice as well.
kendallina 11:33 AM 01-31-2011
My 3-month old daughter slept like that. Sometimes she would take one 2-hour nap if I kept her on me. If I moved her off of me, she would sleep 30-60 minutes a couple times a day. Some kiddos just don't sleep well. She was also up at night every 2 hours (or less) until she was over a year old.
Stacy214 11:57 AM 01-31-2011
I have two 4 month olds and the one is a preemie so she still sleeps most of the day away (feeding and diapering in between ) however, she is starting to stay up a little more each and every day.
The other one takes a good 1 hour nap in the AM then sleeps from 12 -3 and again at 4-4:30....

I have had non sleepers in the past though, it is frustrating.
lvt77 12:06 PM 01-31-2011
There's no one-size-fits-all answer regarding how much daytime sleep kids need. It all depends on the age, the child, and the sleep total during a 24-hour period. For example, one toddler may sleep 13 hours at night with only some daytime cat napping, while another gets 9 hours at night but takes a solid 2-hour nap each afternoon.
My little guy who is now 3 was NOT a sleeper and he still isnt. He is very smart and the doctor said that he was to interested in the world around him, that he could not sleep... Perhaps this could be the case
Tags:infant, infant sleep time, sleeping infants
Reply Up