Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>MMK Question On Accounting
littlemonkeys 02:33 PM 03-04-2011
So new dcb started today and the parents are getting a divorce. They paid me with two different checks. Would you make two separate invoices for the child or just use the one and credit both checks on the same invoice? Or should I just wait for the parents to pick up and ask who's claiming the child n the 2011 taxes?

Oh and if I only do one invoice I can only bill one parents name... I guess I just need to wait and ask the dcp's at pick up, right?
Cat Herder 02:56 PM 03-04-2011
I would nip this in the bud fast.....

The divorce can and will get ugly. You should not be in the middle of that at all...

Only one parent should pay you and then it falls on them to get the money from the other parent.

That is the only way you can't get stuck holding the bag...tried and true.

Please, please, please stop it before it starts.

I want to save you lots of grief...
snbauser 03:45 PM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I would nip this in the bud fast.....

The divorce can and will get ugly. You should not be in the middle of that at all...

Only one parent should pay you and then it falls on them to get the money from the other parent.

That is the only way you can't get stuck holding the bag...tried and true.

Please, please, please stop it before it starts.

I want to save you lots of grief...
Completely agree!!! Otherwise what will you do when one parent pays "their half" and the other one doesn't? Or when one pays late and the other doesn't, etc...
littlemonkeys 04:14 PM 03-04-2011
I totally understand what both of you are saying... and I agree 100%. Now what should I say to them? Any suggestions?
Unregistered 01:08 PM 03-06-2011
I have a set of newly divorced parents and they pay me separate (I believe this is how they worked it out in court). I had each parent sign different contracts and I give them an receipt with their payment. I treat them as two different clients, as they are no longer together. At the end of last year I gave dcm her 2010 tax statement and gave dcd his end of the year tax statement.
momatheart 02:26 PM 03-06-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a set of newly divorced parents and they pay me separate (I believe this is how they worked it out in court). I had each parent sign different contracts and I give them an receipt with their payment. I treat them as two different clients, as they are no longer together. At the end of last year I gave dcm her 2010 tax statement and gave dcd his end of the year tax statement.
Exactly what I was going to suggest.
Abigail 12:06 AM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This is how it works in our daycare. Recently a dad pulled his kids from care so now they are part time and the mom brings them twice a week. It's unusual, but they all pay separate and it works. I don't think it's appropriate to ask for one parent to take on the contract IF both parents are responsible with custody. You could have them on the same contract if they share custody half-half. You can have the parents sit down with you and decide if they want to sign separate contracts, but that gives both of them the option to find one of their friends to watch the kids on "their" day to have them so you might lose business. I wouldn't do much besides making sure they're clear they are both responsible for paying the bill.

The tough part of having separate days on a contract like M, W, F for mom and T/H for dad is that if dad doesn't pay his portion then you should still allow them to attend on MWF and now on T/H until dad pays up. I hope it doesn't turn into a mess for you. Just keep open communication and good records.
Tags:divorced parents, mmk, payment issues
Reply Up