Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Venting.... Rules for DCK
jennajury 11:16 AM 11-03-2011
So I have to ask, does anyone have a WRITTEN up list of rules for daycare kids? I have my rules, it is in my contract for my parents, however I'm currently thinking about making up a list of rules to hang up so my kids can see. What can it hurt? There is one thing in particular that just irks me. One of my after schoolers who is 8 btw is constantly opening up my refridgerator and pantry. Now this is probably my fault however I have told him over and over and over not to do it. I always set snack out for them after school, however whenever he starts getting hungry (or bored I think) he wonders into my kitchen and starts going through the food. I want to put a stop to it ASAP but he doesn't seem to get the message that no he shouldn't be doing that. If he's hungry, he stays later, I usually give him one more snack after other kids leave because he doesn't leave until six or after. HOWEVER HOW DO I MAKE HIM STOP??? the other kids are starting to pick up his bad habit.
laundrymom 11:20 AM 11-03-2011
I have 2 rules. 1. Be nice and 2. Use manners.

I stopped having SA because they didn't fit into my rules. It would make me angry to have someone go through my kitchen.
meganlavonnesmommy 11:27 AM 11-03-2011
That's completely disrespectful, and at 8, he should know better, and be able to follow simple rules.
I honestly dont think writing out the rules will help. But giving him punishments will. Have you talked to his parents about it? Or what they agree suitable punishments are?

I would give him consequences if he continues to break the rules. In my experience that age is too old for time outs, but you can take away something he likes, or enjoys. I dont have any school age daycare kids, but for my daughter, I often make her write out her punishments. Just like "the old days", I make her write sentences. You could have him write " I will not open Miss Whomevers refrigerator", over and over on a piece of paper. oR take away afternoon playtime. If everyone else is playing outside, he can sit on the ground next to you while he watches them play. If everyone else gets to watch a special movie, he cant watch, but has to read in the next room. Something like that.

I would talk to his parents to see what they are comfortable with. Does he break any of the other rules, or just that one?

Maybe he's just thirsty? You can have a bottle of water out for him, so if he feels "hungry" he can go and get his water bottle, and have as much water as he wants.
jennajury 11:30 AM 11-03-2011
This is basicially the only rule he breaks. With everything else he is very respectful. My thinking on this is that he may be bored, I have little kids and then a kid who is 6 and one that is 5 whom he plays with. I don't know if it's cause he's thirsty because he always has a glass of chocolate milk left over from snack time, he takes forever to drink anything.
nannyde 12:08 PM 11-03-2011
Originally Posted by jennajury:
This is basicially the only rule he breaks. With everything else he is very respectful. My thinking on this is that he may be bored, I have little kids and then a kid who is 6 and one that is 5 whom he plays with. I don't know if it's cause he's thirsty because he always has a glass of chocolate milk left over from snack time, he takes forever to drink anything.
If you have five and six year olds there he shouldn't be bored. My son is eleven and he can EASILY play with a five year old. That's not an age difference to worry about at all.

Society has somehow convinced us that kids should have age mates. Age mates now are kids the same age or older. Just a generation ago there wasn't any difference between a two year old and a five year old... much less a six year old and an eight year old.

He needs to go play toys and not get into your private stuff.

School aged kids need uuuuuber supervision. Lay the law down with him and tell him to getta playin with the other kids.
awestbrook713 12:11 PM 11-03-2011
I have the same problem with some of my dck's and it bothers me too. I just walk over tell them to close the door and remind them they are not allowed in the fridge unless I give them permission. Good luck with this boy.
Live and Learn 12:15 PM 11-03-2011
My house is not open floor plan so I would put up a baby gate going into my kitchen and if / when he asks about it say "it is to keep you out of my fridge." ...keep the gate up for several days.

I don't like her daycare SA.
jennajury 02:08 PM 11-03-2011
Sorry I do not know what SA means? Well he was good today, I think alot of today's children just expect to be "entertained" instead of having free time where they choose and use imagination. I have encountered a couple children who just look at me like I'm crazy when I say lets use our imaginations. I remember when i was little I was constantly coming up with something to play off the top of my head.
Blackcat31 02:17 PM 11-03-2011
Sorry I do not know what SA means? Well he was good today, I think alot of today's children just expect to be "entertained" instead of having free time where they choose and use imagination. I have encountered a couple children who just look at me like I'm crazy when I say lets use our imaginations. I remember when i was little I was constantly coming up with something to play off the top of my head.
SA means school age

here is the thread about what all the abbreviations used here mean https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...light=acronyms
jennajury 02:19 PM 11-03-2011
Lol ok thank you!
Blackcat31 02:22 PM 11-03-2011
Lol ok thank you!
No problem...we have all been there! Hang around long enough and you will start saying the abbreviations when actually speaking. That gets embarrassing......
mismatchedsocks 02:25 PM 11-03-2011
I have rules for my kids, but they are things like nice words, play fair, share, walking feet, etc.

I dont have rules for my school agers, BUT if that kid were coming here, I would say you can use your "bigboy" words and ask for something, the next time you rummage through my cabinets or fridge you will not get your extra snack later. If he is hungry he can tell you, if he is thirsty he can tell you, if he is bored, he needs to have a list of "goto" things to do. Read, word finds, coloring sheets, dot to dots, mazes, give him odds and edds of crafts to make something.

School agers are the hardest if they are not kept busy, good luck!
VTMom 02:42 PM 11-03-2011
I have a water dispenser on my fridge that an 8/9 year old was helping herself to. I whispered to her something along the lines of "I know that you're older, but I need to handle all of that stuff, otherwise the younger kids will see you do it and try to copy. Can you imagine the mess?" In my case, it worked and she took on the role of a helper more then a daycare kid! Do you think something like that could work?
Kaddidle Care 03:56 PM 11-03-2011
One of my after schoolers who is 8 btw is constantly opening up my refridgerator and pantry. Now this is probably my fault however I have told him over and over and over not to do it. I always set snack out for them after school, however whenever he starts getting hungry (or bored I think) he wonders into my kitchen and starts going through the food. I want to put a stop to it ASAP but he doesn't seem to get the message that no he shouldn't be doing that. HOWEVER HOW DO I MAKE HIM STOP??? the other kids are starting to pick up his bad habit.
Plain and simple: "Johnny, it is against my house rules and it's poor manners to help yourself to other people's things. This is not YOUR house, it is mine."

My son has 2 friends (brothers) that do the same thing. I don't invite them over any more. I have seen them in action in their own home and they are poorly supervised by their own parents. They eat CONSTANTLY at their own home.

If he's still hungry after the snack you have given him, tell Mom about what he is doing (You should have mentioned these bad manners to her already) and ask her to please provide an additional snack for him or addition $$ to cover another snack.
sharlan 04:58 PM 11-03-2011
My pantry and fridge are OFF limits. If you want something, ask, and I will be happy to get it for you. That does not mean you will get 3 bags of chips, though.

I keep a stack of cups at the side of the fridge. If they want water, they can get it themselves. Even my 4 yo can get himself water without playing in it.

My advice, talk to the mother and discuss how you need this behavior to stop. If that doesn't work, make the kitchen 100% off limits to this child unless invited in.
Tags:manners, rules
Reply Up