Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do I Tell Parents That Extra Cost Extra ….
familyschoolcare 09:59 AM 09-25-2012
I interviewed a special needs child last week. During the phone conversation the father let me know that DCB is special needs, wanted to know it that was still ok as I do advertise will take special needs on a case by case bases. I told him that we could discuss what care his child needs at the interview and whether or not I will be able to supply that service I quoted him the base price and at that time did not discuss the fact that some services cost extra. Even with non-special needs children I do not discuss this until it comes up (I currently have one that I take to soccer practice that cost extra). Dad asked if it was ok if they were sometime late picking up I said that it is a $1 a minute for every minute that you are past 6:15 picking the child up.
So at the interview we discuss what “characteristics” the child has that make him special needs. The parents did not volunteer a diagnoses and I did not ask for one I do not ask for that until we are filling out paperwork. I do this on purpose the diagnoses does not deiced wither or not I am able to supply service the child’s “Characteristics” does. (Just because I can take Johnny that has XYZ does not mean I can take Suzie that has XYZ because it affects them differently). SO, during the interview that parents let me know that DCB is non-verbal and that if he wants some water he will just go and help him-self, not a problem water is available to all the DCK all the time and they all help themselves. They also let me know that he is fully potty trained, just needs lots of reminders. No, problem already have one like that. They also let me know that the child has a lot of dietary restriction his is not allergic just restricting diet for behavior reason and they will supply all the food, again, no problem. On the pre-enrollment survey they put that they needed care until 6:30Pm so I mention several times that it will be $1 minute after 6:15 that they are late picking the child up. We did discuss other special needs or characteristics of the child they are just not relevant to the story at least not at this point.
The interview was Tuesday and the father just shows up at my front door on Thursday to have me meet some lady that will pick the boy up from my house and take him to speech therapy. While I thought it was a little strange that the Dad did not call to at least make sure I was home I was relieved because they seemed to have solved the late pick up problem on their own.
When DCD came over to fill out all the paperwork he tells me again that the child is fully potty trained just needs to be brought to toilet often and suggested a schedule of when to take him I smile and nod bite my tong from saying I know how to take care of a child that just needs to be reminded to go to the bathroom because I realize that they do not know me extremely well yet and they are mostly likely nervous about leaving their child in day care. He told me again that the child will just help himself when he news water he will just go get his cup. I did not respond to those things because I thought the dad was just nervous leaving the child in day care.
So today the Father comes over in the morning at least he called first this time. (I will pick the child up from school today for his first day) at this point he mentions that just before the lady picks DCB upp I will need to put a diaper on him and that his is fully poty trained they just do that because hw will be going to several theoropy appointments, He also said that he will be sinding me an E-mail with all the instructions for the DCB on it so that it will all be clear for me. Again just nod and smile say that will be fine. I was a little surprised about the diaper thing I usualy charge extra for children in diapers. Then I put the child back pack away and look in it first thought I should know what was in it I see a sippy cup. This was not mentioned before that the child does not drink from a cup, I usually charge extra for this as I need to have a cup on had in case they forget theirs and usually it also means that the child cannot feed themselves which I also charge extra for.
I should mention that I do not charge extra for younger children just for extra services.

So at this point I will be waiting tell I at least have the child for one day and receive the E-mail and see if there are any more surprises and then I will be drafting a letter that these parents and letting them know that the services they require will cost extra.
In the letter should I put a line item price on each extra service or just list them and say those cost $ Extra. Also, is sending the letter home on Thursday enough notice given payment is due Friday
Willow 10:21 AM 09-25-2012
So to clarify....you charge extra if a child needs diaper changes, you charge extra if the child uses a sippy cup, and you charge extra if the child needs help eating....but you also say that you don't charge extra for younger children.....who need help with all of those things?

I'm sorry but as a provider I'm confused by that

Additionally, as a parent I would be livid if I interviewed a provider and contracted for care at a specific rate and then got a week into care only to be told the day before I was supposed remit payment that they changed their mind and would be charging me more, pay up, tough beans.

If you choose to watch this child for a single day you need to tell the parents immediately if you choose to alter the terms of the original contract. If when they are told they choose to leave your care effective immediately they'd be well within their rights as you are altering the original contract in a way they have not yet agreed to.

A sippy in the backpack doesn't mean he can't drink from a cup. My kids at 8 and 9 still use lidded cups in the car. I'll be 31 next week and I do too.

And a diaper on during therapy doesn't necessarily mean he's not capable of staying dry at home. Therapists don't typically take their patients to the bathroom, and if the parent isn't there what else is he supposed to do for the interim?

I would tread very carefully here btw.

They told you he was special needs. You accepted him into care at your regular rate without any mention of additional charges.

Unless all of those additional charges are applied to every single family in your care and it's itemized in your phb, charging this family more in particular would be against the law. It would be considered discrimination and you very well could be sued.
Country Kids 10:26 AM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
So to clarify....you charge extra if a child needs diaper changes, you charge extra if the child uses a sippy cup, and you charge extra if the child needs help eating....but you also say that you don't charge extra for younger children.....who need help with all of those things?

Additionally, as a parent I would be livid if I interviewed a provider and contracted for care at a specific rate and then got a week into care only to be told the day before I was supposed remit payment that they changed their mind and would be charging me more, pay up, tough beans.

If you're continuing to watch the child you need to tell them IMMEDIATELY if you choose to alter the terms of the original contract. If when they are told they choose to leave your care effective immediately they'd be well within their rights as you are altering the original contract in a way they have not yet agreed to.

A sippy in the backpack doesn't mean he can't drink from a cup.

And a diaper on during therapy doesn't necessarily mean he's not capable of staying dry at home. Therapists don't typically take their patients to the bathroom, and if the parent isn't there what else is he supposed to do for the interim?

They told you he was special needs. You accepted him into care at your regular rate without any mention of additional charges.

Unless all of those additional charges are applied to every single family in your care and it's itemized in your phb, charging this family more in particular would be against the law. It would be considered discrimination and you very well could be sued.
Actually Willow, you can have a different contract for every family in your care. So what is covered for one parent may not apply for another parent.

She actually told them there maybe extra charges at the very beginning. They never mentioned a sippy cup to her or needing a diaper till he started.

If those are things that she charges extra for there would be nothing against the law for that even if at the moment she isn't charging anyone else for it. If no one else uses those services then there would be no reason for her to charge them.
SquirrellyMama 10:35 AM 09-25-2012
I got from the OPs post that she did tell them there were extra charges based on "characteristics" and they chose not to be open about them or maybe they didn't understand the extent. I wouldn't consider putting a diaper on him at the end of the day as a diaper change.

I agree that the fee schedule is very confusing and maybe everyone should be given a list of "extra fees" at the interview and they could check off what they need.

I would give it more than a day before you add on fees.

K
cheerfuldom 10:37 AM 09-25-2012
I was confused just as the PP was. I think you should have been more clear in the fact that you need a trial basis to evaluate the childs full needs to see if you can accommodate them or not. To me, I just dont see putting one diaper on a child or providing one sippy cup as being "extra" care.....and it is my understanding that you cannot charge more for special needs children.
Willow 10:38 AM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Actually Willow, you can have a different contract for every family in your care. So what is covered for one parent may not apply for another parent.

She actually told them there maybe extra charges at the very beginning. They never mentioned a sippy cup to her or needing a diaper till he started.

If those are things that she charges extra for there would be nothing against the law for that even if at the moment she isn't charging anyone else for it. If no one else uses those services then there would be no reason for her to charge them.

You're grasping at straws there.

They never mentioned he DID need a sippy cup.

Nor do they mention him needing to be diapered. Having a diaper put on as he's walking out the door for an occasional therapy session is no different than putting on a coat....at least to me.

And it still doesn't address how one doesn't charge extra for younger children but does charge for all of the extra things all younger children need.
countrymom 10:42 AM 09-25-2012
I agree with every family is different. We all have the basic contract but if we need to do special then its per family.

I would just be worried about what else they didn't tell you. dumb question, if he is getting his own water then how is he putting the lid on the sippy cup. And why can't whoever takes him to the appointments take him to the bathroom like we take all the other children. Hmmm, this really makes me go hmmm.
familyschoolcare 10:48 AM 09-25-2012

IF the parent had told me from the start that I would need to place the child in a daiper before they leave my house then I would have told them about the extra cost then. If the child can stay dry at my house then the extra cost will not be the same as the child I had last year that needed diapers the whole day.

IF the parent had told me from the start that I would need to place the child in a daiper before they leave my house then I would have told them about the extra cost then. If the child can stay dry at my house then the extra cost will not be the same as the child I had last year that needed diapers the whole day.

If you choose to watch this child for a single day you need to tell the parents immediately if you choose to alter the terms of the original contract. If when they are told they choose to leave your care effective immediately they'd be well within their rights as you are altering the original contract in a way they have not yet agreed to.

I am not changing the contract they are adding services that where not discused untill hours before I am schedguled to pick the child up from school. THey already paid for this week. After giving your opinion into consideration I will have the new rate start in two weeks thus giving them the ability to simply give their notice instead. Again they changed the contract not me.

A sippy in the backpack doesn't mean he can't drink from a cup. My kids at 8 and 9 still use lidded cups in the car. I'll be 31 next week and I do too.

If they child can fed themself and drink from a regualr cup then there will not be a additional charge. If the child can feed themselves and needs a sipy cup then there willl be an additional charge just not as musch as the child I had last year that could not feed themselves and drank froma a sippy cup.

Yes, A diaper for leaving my house does not mean they can not stay dry at my house we will see.

The nees they presented at the time I accepted the child did not come with additional charges I have had several one enrolled now speicail needs children that do not require services that are an extra charge. I extra fees are appied to every family that needs them, as ai mentioned in my post I have a "regualar ED" student that curently pay for an extra service.

I answered aboe in red

I hop that clarifios thigs for you and I see you point about raing rates with out notice and I will give notice about it even if it is the parents that miss repersented the care their child needs.
Willow 10:49 AM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I agree with every family is different. We all have the basic contract but if we need to do special then its per family.

I would just be worried about what else they didn't tell you. dumb question, if he is getting his own water then how is he putting the lid on the sippy cup. And why can't whoever takes him to the appointments take him to the bathroom like we take all the other children. Hmmm, this really makes me go hmmm.
To repeat:

This provider found a sippy cup while investigating the child's backpack.

It was not handed to her and told that she was expected to assist him with it. Could be for use in therapy sessions so avoid spills, for in the car or while visiting grandma if they bring the same bag with everywhere....as most parents do.

There are tampons in the bottom of one of my kiddos diaper bags right now, that doesn't mean they are for the child or for the child to use while in my care

To jump to accusations that because a sippy was found in a backpack means the parent was lying is flat out over kill.
familyschoolcare 10:53 AM 09-25-2012
Just to clarify for everyone the reason I did not whant to send a letter untill Thursday was that would give me two days of giving care tot he child before having to draft the letter thus knowing exactly what extra services are being used/needed
daycare 10:54 AM 09-25-2012
To repeat:

It was not handed to her and told that she was expected to assist him with it. Could be for use in therapy sessions so avoid spills, for in the car or while visiting grandma if they bring the same bag with everywhere....as most parents do.

There are tampons in the bottom of one of my kiddos diaper bags right now, that doesn't mean they are for the child or for the child to use while in my care

To jump to accusations that because a sippy was found in a backpack means the parent was lying is flat out over kill.
gotta pull some humor out of this....that was super funny that there are tampons in your childs bag.....lol

Hey maybe the kid might get a bloody nose....yeah thats what they are there for..

I kind of agree with what you are saying willow, but I do understand where the op is coming from too.

I don't think that it would be a good idea to itemize a list of charges, that might scare the family off. Then they will think that you are digging for extra money and what will you come up with next.

Does it say in your PHB or contract that you can charge for such things as you listed?
Crystal 11:05 AM 09-25-2012
hmmmm....I guess what I don't understand is why you would charge more because he uses a sippy or why you would charge more for putting on ONE diaper at the end of the day? I feel like that is really nit-picking prices and would honestl;y consider that to be more work for the provider than the little bit of extra $ is worth.

I also would not be surprised if the parents decide they no longer want to use your services if you decide to tack on these "extras" which, IMO, aren't extras at all, but more along the lines of general child care services.
familyschoolcare 11:20 AM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
hmmmm....I guess what I don't understand is why you would charge more because he uses a sippy or why you would charge more for putting on ONE diaper at the end of the day? I feel like that is really nit-picking prices and would honestl;y consider that to be more work for the provider than the little bit of extra $ is worth.

I also would not be surprised if the parents decide they no longer want to use your services if you decide to tack on these "extras" which, IMO, aren't extras at all, but more along the lines of general child care services.
I think I understand what you are saying. With the Family Day Care I run, using a sippy cup is not general child care as it means keeping extra supplies on hand and extra tie at the end of the day to wash then and it also means tha I have to help the child put water into the cup those are thing s I do not normally do.

As for putting on a daiper at the end of the day it would mean my being in the otherroom and if I leave the child for that 5 min then some one will hit/kcik or look at funny someone else. Again something I normaly do not do and creates more work for me. I do not even help lput on coats or shoes. I run a school aged program and the childrencan do that for themselves.
newtodaycare22 11:27 AM 09-25-2012
I'm curious....is he actually going potty today?
Willow 11:31 AM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
I do not even help lput on coats or shoes.

This just blows my mind......I'm sorry, but seriously?

I'm all about encouraging self help skills but that's just so far out of my realm of comprehension that you couldn't be bothered to help a child put their shoes on with the alternative being you'd charge the parents if you ever were......

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. To each their own.
Blackcat31 11:33 AM 09-25-2012
I think what everyone is missing is the OP said she runs a SCHOOL AGED program.

Sippy cups and assitance with dressing and/or toileting needs are usually not something a provider of school age children require.
rhymia1 11:38 AM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Sippy cups and assitance with dressing and/or toileting needs are usually not something a provider of school age children require.

That said, if I did school aged only care, I would not accept a child in to care that needed diapering, feeding, etc. For me, that's the whole point of the school aged only program...Now, I'm not totally sure that this child needs that type of care, it seems unclear if the OP even knows for sure. I wouldn't be charging more, but I wouldn't be taking them child on to begin with.
Willow 11:39 AM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

She said that after the fact.

But anyway....... if she was that adamant about never doing such tasks then why ever take a younger child that needs even very minor assistance with their very basic needs?
crazydaycarelady 11:40 AM 09-25-2012
I definatley would not go with an itemized bill. If you do decide to charge them more I would just say something along the lines of "So and so requires extra care and the charge will be $."
daycare 11:43 AM 09-25-2012
This just blows my mind......I'm sorry, but seriously?

I'm all about encouraging self help skills but that's just so far out of my realm of comprehension that you couldn't be bothered to help a child put their shoes on with the alternative being you'd charge the parents if you ever were......

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. To each their own.
Sorry but I agree with OP. I would not help SA kids dress themselves.
In my opinion that's enabling them.
Willow 11:53 AM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
Sorry but I agree with OP. I would not help SA kids dress themselves.
In my opinion that's enabling them.
Did I miss the part where this child is SA? Was an age even mentioned?

Because I have a 3 year old in pre-K, that doesn't mean I'd declare her a SA-er.

And since when is assisting a kid with a picky zipper is enabling?

A shoe lace gets knotted and a 5 year old can't undo it and that's enabling?

I have another pre-k kiddo here (age 4) who has dance immediately after care once a week. I help her get dressed because she struggles with the tights that go under her leo......and you'd consider that enabling?

Maybe I'm missing something here.....are there really providers who charge for such things?

Not to mention, the phrase:

"I should mention that I do not charge extra for younger children just for extra services."

still hasn't been addressed.

So we're not just talking about school aged children here. We're talking about every age. Younger children needing help with such things aren't in need of "extra services." That's par for the course of caring for a younger child.

If there is a herd of one year old's running around not needing the "extra service" of regular diapering, assistance with sippy cups and able to dress themselves I'd love to be directed to them! That would be AWESOME!!!
daycare 12:26 PM 09-25-2012
Did I miss the part where this child is SA? Was an age even mentioned?

Because I have a 3 year old in pre-K, that doesn't mean I'd declare her a SA-er.

And since when is assisting a kid with a picky zipper is enabling?

A shoe lace gets knotted and a 5 year old can't undo it and that's enabling?

I have another pre-k kiddo here (age 4) who has dance immediately after care once a week. I help her get dressed because she struggles with the tights that go under her leo......and you'd consider that enabling?

Maybe I'm missing something here.....are there really providers who charge for such things?

Not to mention, the phrase:

"I should mention that I do not charge extra for younger children just for extra services."

still hasn't been addressed.

So we're not just talking about school aged children here. We're talking about every age. Younger children needing help with such things aren't in need of "extra services." That's par for the course of caring for a younger child.

If there is a herd of one year old's running around not needing the "extra service" of regular diapering, assistance with sippy cups and able to dress themselves I'd love to be directed to them! That would be AWESOME!!!
I guess I assumed that the kids were SA since I have been on this form for awhile now, I tend to know a little about some of the providers here, OP being one of them.

Yes, I agree having to assist a child every once in a while with shoes, coat or etc. because there is an issue is much different than having to dress a child daily, because they are not able to do it themselves. Once kids show me that they are capable of doing something, I expect for them to continue to do it without my help. unless there is an issue with something, I let them figure out how to do it and gain some independence.

I actually had a 4 year old that had dance and swim and YES she did put all of her stuff on by herself. I taught her how and she then took over and did it by herself. If she asked me for help, of course I would help her. BUt again, it was not becuase she was not able to.

Just curious, why are you picking on the OP so bad, you did this to me the other day too. We are here to get advice, a second opinion or help. We are not here to be torn apart or picked on because of how WE choose to run our business. I don't think that the OP needs to explain anything in detail that is outside of her original question that she asked. Plain and simple.
countrymom 12:39 PM 09-25-2012
To repeat:

please reread my post. No where in my post did I say that I was accusing anyone. I simply asked a question because they said that he can get his own water.
countrymom 12:44 PM 09-25-2012
I guess I assumed that the kids were SA since I have been on this form for awhile now, I tend to know a little about some of the providers here, OP being one of them.

Yes, I agree having to assist a child every once in a while with shoes, coat or etc. because there is an issue is much different than having to dress a child daily, because they are not able to do it themselves. Once kids show me that they are capable of doing something, I expect for them to continue to do it without my help. unless there is an issue with something, I let them figure out how to do it and gain some independence.

I actually had a 4 year old that had dance and swim and YES she did put all of her stuff on by herself. I taught her how and she then took over and did it by herself. If she asked me for help, of course I would help her. BUt again, it was not becuase she was not able to.

Just curious, why are you picking on the OP so bad, you did this to me the other day too. We are here to get advice, a second opinion or help. We are not here to be torn apart or picked on because of how WE choose to run our business. I don't think that the OP needs to explain anything in detail that is outside of her original question that she asked. Plain and simple.
so it wasn't only me who noticed this either.
Willow 12:46 PM 09-25-2012

I don't mean to pick on anyone.

The situation was presented on an open forum and questions asked by the OP and it didn't make sense to me is all.

It still doesn't which is why I'm asking questions.

I'll admit I can come across very blunt and strong but I'm not telling OP what to do, I am only giving my opinion. I still disagree that run of the mill tasks associated with age specific childcare should be considered extras. It doesn't make sense to say I don't charge for younger kids but I do charge for many of the things necessary to care for younger kids. I've never heard of such a thing.

I think it's one of those things where personal experiences just must differ. I've cared for many differently-abled kiddos and although I could maybe see where if there was some really out there tasks associated with their daily care charging differently I can't imagine charging extra for the basics.

Chalk it up to me being a Libra. I am near obsessed with ethics and justice for all and all that jazz. This one just rubbed me the wrong way so I was hoping to pick brains about it and gain some understanding as to how one can justify charging more for helping a child put on a coat when they're in the childcare business.
countrymom 12:48 PM 09-25-2012
I'm just confused about the part where you take school agers, so is this child a school ager, and will he be in your care all day.

I would give it a two week trial and see if it works out. Sounds to me like you are getting conflicting information. Now if the dad sends you an email with all sorts of other info then I would decline them because they were holding the truth back, and what parents don't realize, is that by doing this is really hurting your child.

oh and I have a special needs school ager here, great kid. But I don't charge any extra but he's high functioning.
Willow 12:48 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:

This isn't an accusation??

I'm sorry I read it that way it you weren't meaning to imply the family had lied to the OP already, so what else could pop up.
familyschoolcare 01:01 PM 09-25-2012
To help people understand the I do not charge more for younger children but do charge more for a child that needs to be diapered or needs to be feed. I thought I addressed this in post number 8 but apparently I did not make myself clear.

I have a based rate this is for basic school aged care I never take a child younger than 18 months as they will not fit into my program I will never accept a child that needs a scheduled nap as they will not fit into my program. I charge extra for things that are extra work in my program this includes but is not limited to feeding a child, interacting with Sippy cups, diapering a child or dropping a child off at an after school class, or anything else that the kindergarten teacher would not be expected to do. Yes, I will help with the occasional difficult shoe lace or zipper, but will not place the actor or shoes on the child for them.

So for example, if someone wanted to send a child to me that is 19 months old that is fully potty trained, and can feed themselves there would be no extra charges even though they are considered an infant. However, if someone wanted to send a 5 year old to me that is in kindergarten that needs to be in diapers and needs to be feed then there are extra charges. The charges are based on the extra care not the age of the child.
littlemissmuffet 01:17 PM 09-25-2012
OP, I think you should reconsider the questions you ask parents during the interviewing process. As a childcare provider who does NOT charge extra for diapering/ippy cups/help feeding/etc, I ask very specific questions like:
Does the child drink from a bottle, sippy cup or regular cup or a combination? Then follow up with what kind of bottle, sippy or cup are they used to (this has no bearing on what brands I use, I simply ask in case there are issues when I switch the kid to my brands, etc)?
When it comes to toilet trained vs. in diapers I ask LOTS of specific questions - the first being "What is your definition of potty trained"? Can the child pull down/up pants and underwear on their own? Get onto a large toilet on their own/with a stool? Wipe themselves? Wash hands by self? Is there ever a time or situation you put the child in a diaper of pull up (naps, shopping, appointments, etc)?
With feeding I ask if the child is capable of feeding themselves - with finger foods, and utensils. What kinds of foods they like/don't like? And so forth.

Also, because you didn't ask these question initially - and are now curious, do you not feel it is your responsibility to ask NOW? What are you waiting for? Why jump to conclusions when you can simply ask dad at pick up about the sippy cup and if he's prone to accidents outside of therapy, etc?

Finally, having an extra sippy cup on hand costs less than $5 and charging a fee because you have to help a child to fill it up sounds very off too me. And I don't care how inexperienced someone is - changing one diaper does not take 5 minutes. I am all for charging extra when providing extra, but I hardly consider a sippy cup and SINGLE diaper change providing extra - even if you do only provider SA care.
familyschoolcare 01:20 PM 09-25-2012
So is there a reason that I cannot think of for why it would be uncalled for me to send a letter home on Friday September 28, 2012 saying

Dear DCP,

When we interviewed the following things did not come up that DCB would be needing Which is why I did not bring it to your attention at that time that those service cost extra I realize that perhaps you did not think that those would cost extra. Therefore, starting the week of October 15, 2012 (the payment due October 12, 2012) your new fee will be $X. All other aspects of the contract will remain the same. Please sign and return this to me no later than 6:15PM on October 7, 2012.

Parent signature__________________________________________ Date _____________________

Signed me

I will deiced after having the boy today and Wednesday and Thursday what if any extra charge will apply, As discussed here they may not be much other than the charge for putting on a diaper which I am not sure I have room to put a diaper on a child that age. (but that is another story)I have yet to receive the E-mail that Dad said he would send me so maybe he really did cover everything.
familyschoolcare 01:23 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
OP, I think you should reconsider the questions you ask parents during the interviewing process. As a childcare provider who does NOT charge extra for diapering/ippy cups/help feeding/etc, I ask very specific questions like:
Does the child drink from a bottle, sippy cup or regular cup or a combination? Then follow up with what kind of bottle, sippy or cup are they used to (this has no bearing on what brands I use, I simply ask in case there are issues when I switch the kid to my brands, etc)?
When it comes to toilet trained vs. in diapers I ask LOTS of specific questions - the first being "What is your definition of potty trained"? Can the child pull down/up pants and underwear on their own? Get onto a large toilet on their own/with a stool? Wipe themselves? Wash hands by self? Is there ever a time or situation you put the child in a diaper of pull up (naps, shopping, appointments, etc)?
With feeding I ask if the child is capable of feeding themselves - with finger foods, and utensils. What kinds of foods they like/don't like? And so forth.

Also, because you didn't ask these question initially - and are now curious, do you not feel it is your responsibility to ask NOW? What are you waiting for? Why jump to conclusions when you can simply ask dad at pick up about the sippy cup and if he's prone to accidents outside of therapy, etc?

Finally, having an extra sippy cup on hand costs less than $5 and charging a fee because you have to help a child to fill it up sounds very off too me. And I don't care how inexperienced someone is - changing one diaper does not take 5 minutes. I am all for charging extra when providing extra, but I hardly consider a sippy cup and SINGLE diaper change providing extra - even if you do only provider SA care.
I have interviewed several speicail needs parents\/childern and this is the first one that did not say that there child needed a diaper at the interview or that they used a sippu cup ect ect this is the first time out of I do not know how many that the paren did not tell me of certain things untill hours before care was to start. Most people realize that school aged children even the youngest ones do not usually need a sippy cup, can usualy feed themselves and that fully potty trained means no diapers at all.
canadiancare 02:09 PM 09-25-2012
Did the child come to the interview? I am a bit unclear to this. I always assess the children and decide if we are a good fit before I accept them. I charge the same fees for all my parents but I don't have any children with special needs. If I did I would lower my enrollment and charge accordingly. If the needs are non-verbal and toileting only I would have to decide if I was willing to take that on as it suggests to me at a school aged level that more is going on and if the parents aren't open about it there is probably a reason- such as difficulty in finding care.
DBug 02:21 PM 09-25-2012
Unless you already have a pre-itemized list, I'd just tell the parents you'll be charging $xx/week on top of the usual rate for the additional care that the child requires. I think it's totally within your rights to charge more, but I think going through a list is kind of overly thorough. I'd just figure out how much extra time I'm spending on this one child, and use my hourly wage to calculate the extra that I'd be charging.

I agree with what others have said in that the parents might feel a little ganged up on if you give them an itemized list after registering them. If one was provided in the interview before they signed on, I think that would be fair, but if one wasn't, I'd just give them the grand total.

Also, you've got to think about whether you actually want this child in care. It sounds like dck might not be a good fit for your program, and that's okay too.
canadiancare 02:26 PM 09-25-2012
also it is well and good for you to charge more for this child to make extra work for you but how will it affect the other kids? Is it fair to all parents? I'd like to reiterate that a non-verbal, non-toilet trained (if constant reminders are needed they aren't really trained, the caregivers are) school aged child has more going on than is being disclosed.
daycare 02:30 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
So is there a reason that I cannot think of for why it would be uncalled for me to send a letter home on Friday September 28, 2012 saying

Dear DCP,

When we interviewed the following things did not come up that DCB would be needing Which is why I did not bring it to your attention at that time that those service cost extra I realize that perhaps you did not think that those would cost extra. Therefore, starting the week of October 15, 2012 (the payment due October 12, 2012) your new fee will be $X. All other aspects of the contract will remain the same. Please sign and return this to me no later than 6:15PM on October 7, 2012.

Parent signature__________________________________________ Date _____________________

Signed me

I will deiced after having the boy today and Wednesday and Thursday what if any extra charge will apply, As discussed here they may not be much other than the charge for putting on a diaper which I am not sure I have room to put a diaper on a child that age. (but that is another story)I have yet to receive the E-mail that Dad said he would send me so maybe he really did cover everything.
I think that the letter sounds just fine... I like that you did not itemize it. I remember I was in the hospital many years ago and i got the bill for one day. I looked at it $2800. UGH what.... So I turn the 14 pages of paper attached and I saw everything itemized line per line. They charged me $14.00 for one pair of rubber gloves each time the doc came in to examine me..... OMG..

GUess that is what you get when you are beach front ocean view hospital for the night...lol

ANyways, I saw it as digging for dollars. I like your letter and I think that if this is what you want to do, do it..... You know what you need to run your business we don't. If you know that this is what you will need to help you help the child then by all means do it. I see no wrong in what you are doing.....
clep 02:40 PM 09-25-2012
I have had several special needs children in my care. At no time have I charged more if a child needs a sippy cup or for the two minutes it takes to put a diaper on a child.

A sippy cup to buy costs under two bucks. To fill it and wash it takes no more time than a cup.

I also believe that accepting the child without obtaining the required information first, then increasing fees after the fact is unprofessional.

As someone that is experienced with special needs children, I have a form for that purpose with specific information that needs to be orally gone over before I determine if I will provide care or quote fees. I do ask if the drink alone, what they drink out of, if they can feed themselves, do zippers, buttons, if they use a pull up or diaper at any time, if they go to the potty alone, assisted or partially assisted.

Sounds as if the child is not potty taught, if the child has to be reminded. If the child is non verbal it makes sense the child would be lots of work.

It is up to you to do what you feel is best for your business. I would however in the future, ensure the interview process is more extensive providing more information about your expectations and initiating more information about what will be required for care.
Persephone 03:32 PM 09-25-2012
I have to agree that putting a diaper on a child at the end of the day doesn't take all that much time. And at this point you don't know if he can even do it on his own. He might be able too and by the dad saying that YOU needed to, might have been that you need to tell him to do it.

And a sippy cup? There's not extra work in that? You fill it, put the lid on and your done. But like someone else pointed out that it might have just been in his bag. My son is 5 and at home for the most part we use the toss and go cups with a lid and straw, just because there's less chance of spills (At least not as much)

I think if you have questions about this child then you need to ask the father TODAY, not wait until Friday, I think that's being chicken by just sending a note. Talk to him. Call him on the phone tonight if he's already gone. Just tell them that you have concerns.

I want to know how the day went? Was he able to do things for himself? You never did say how old he was or if he went to school all day.
familyschoolcare 04:23 PM 09-25-2012
So far the boy has done everything himself and if the way poty time has gone so far is any indication of how much involvement I will have in putting his pull up on then I will not be charging extra fees for this child.
familyschoolcare 04:36 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by clep:
I have had several special needs children in my care. At no time have I charged more if a child needs a sippy cup or for the two minutes it takes to put a diaper on a child.

A sippy cup to buy costs under two bucks. To fill it and wash it takes no more time than a cup.

I also believe that accepting the child without obtaining the required information first, then increasing fees after the fact is unprofessional.

As someone that is experienced with special needs children, I have a form for that purpose with specific information that needs to be orally gone over before I determine if I will provide care or quote fees. I do ask if the drink alone, what they drink out of, if they can feed themselves, do zippers, buttons, if they use a pull up or diaper at any time, if they go to the potty alone, assisted or partially assisted.

Sounds as if the child is not potty taught, if the child has to be reminded. If the child is non verbal it makes sense the child would be lots of work.

It is up to you to do what you feel is best for your business. I would however in the future, ensure the interview process is more extensive providing more information about your expectations and initiating more information about what will be required for care.
could you please send me a copy of the form maybe having list will help so far I ask what is special about the child and ask follow up questions based on what the parents say and then follow up by mirroring what I understood the needs to be and asking if there is anything else I need to know enregards to that subjec. So it really surprised me that pullups or diapers where not brought up when I said to the parents "so I need to send him to the bathroom every hour or so, anything else I need to know about the restroom and your child.
EarthyMom 05:24 PM 09-25-2012
Well I hate to ruffle feathers, but everyone can agree to disagree or agree right?

2 cents:

First, if you come to a forum to discuss these issues; expect diverse feedback. Everyone is so different and not everyone is going to agree just for the sake of being polite. Unless you are being personally attacked I don't think there is a reason to get upset over a response that questions or argues a point as long as it is done maturely.

Second, I have to offer some constructive critisism on the interview process. Life is a learning experience and we ALL have a lot to learn so this isn't personal. That being said if you are considering itemizing charges for different types of care, whether anyone agrees with it or not; I might include that detail by detail in a form of some type at the interview with a professional explanation as to the purpose of this.

Third, I am wondering if maybe you need to draw a more evident line in the sand as to what type of children you truly want to care for. If you don't want to charge extra for care that generally younger children, or developmentally challenged children need; why not just pass on those kids and leave it to another provider?

My personal opinion is that it seems a bit like you are nickel and diming. If you wanted to charge me extra for my child using a sippy cup I would look at you like you had 6 heads, personally. Childrens needs can vary so drastically.

What if you had a child that did everything SA without issue who developed neurological issue requiring sippy cups? Would you actually the mother to pay a fee for that? What if a child broke their leg and needed extra care for 4 to 6 weeks? Do you upcharge for helping the child out?

I just don't see where the line is. It seems tedious and not particularly caring. If my autistic son needed to be reminded to use toilet paper would that be a charge? I am sure you are a lovely provider. I am sure many people would agree with you or remain neutral. We are all different and as diplomatically as I can say this, I found the post off putting.
familyschoolcare 05:43 PM 09-25-2012
I am thankful for your input. Just to answer your questions if I had a child in care that suddenly need to be feed or use equipment I usually don't use so they could eat yes I would charge more. If a child in my care needed to be reminded to use tolit paper then I would not charge extra for that. I would charge extra if I was excepted to wipe the bottom myself. I understand what you are saying about clearly defining what type of children I want to take and other than saying that special needs is on a case by case basis and might require extra charges depending on the care needed I do not think I can. I currently have a child with a particular diagnoses and have in the past turned down a child with the same diagnosis. So exactly how do I define what.
EarthyMom 06:22 PM 09-25-2012
I would suggest not aiming it at special needs at all.. I would personally make a form with a checklist much like Dr offices do. To itemize exactly what the things are that are extra charges would make sense along with the fee beside it.

The parent could look it over and check it off. Another poster mentioned this but I think its a really clear and concise way of detailing it. If you present this at the interview and tell them you provide your service said fee(s) according to the individual needs of each child then they might thinking they are getting in cheaper if their child doesn't require anything on the list, and only pays the standard fee. KWIM?
EarthyMom 06:27 PM 09-25-2012
In other words your typical school age child does xyz, and if there are any additional needs please list them on the form which details the itemized cost for those services. I would also include an Other space where the parent could add something they think may be not listed but worth mentioning. In addition it would give you some leeway if you see something very out of the ordinary that you feel warrants an additional charge. You might have the opportunity to address that by noting that the form had a blank space and they would need to ammend that *other* space noting their childs additional need that wasnt listed, giving them a price for it at that time without having to rework your contract. I would also say they should initial and date anything written in the *other* space.
daycare 06:31 PM 09-25-2012
I don't mean to pick on anyone.

The situation was presented on an open forum and questions asked by the OP and it didn't make sense to me is all.

It still doesn't which is why I'm asking questions.

I'll admit I can come across very blunt and strong but I'm not telling OP what to do, I am only giving my opinion. I still disagree that run of the mill tasks associated with age specific childcare should be considered extras. It doesn't make sense to say I don't charge for younger kids but I do charge for many of the things necessary to care for younger kids. I've never heard of such a thing.

I think it's one of those things where personal experiences just must differ. I've cared for many differently-abled kiddos and although I could maybe see where if there was some really out there tasks associated with their daily care charging differently I can't imagine charging extra for the basics.

Chalk it up to me being a Libra. I am near obsessed with ethics and justice for all and all that jazz. This one just rubbed me the wrong way so I was hoping to pick brains about it and gain some understanding as to how one can justify charging more for helping a child put on a coat when they're in the childcare business.
its ok. in the end, we can all agree to disagree.
Tags:additional fees, contract changes, higher rates, special needs
Reply Up