Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Picky Eaters
KEG123 04:55 PM 04-12-2011
My son is a PICKY EATER. I need help. It seems like we eat the same thing over and over. He loves fruit of all kinds, loves his breakfast foods (pancakes, waffles, muffins, french toast) and loves pasta. Those are seriously the staples around here. SOOOO if you could give me some of the meals your kids gobble up without fail, I'd appreciate it!

I know Nannyde will have some ideas, and I remember a previous post about retraining a child to eat, but I can't find it. He doesn't eat bad or overly processed foods, so I'm at a loss. But figured I'd ask. TIA!
nannyde 04:14 AM 04-13-2011
It sounds like he's going after the easy to chew/swallow/melt in the mouth and get down quick starch and sugar foods. That could mean he prefers the sugar and carbs or that he has a hard time anything that has higher fiber and is not sweet. This is VERY common... maybe two thirds of kids these days want bread and sweet diets.

When kids get down to bread and sweets the only way I know to get them off of it is to switch his meals around.

Give him supper for breakast and breakfast for supper IF he eats "supper breakfast and lunch lunch". If not, give him supper for supper.

He's going to be the hungriest in the morning so that is the time to give him meat and vegetables. He doesn't need ANY starch (bread products) and sugar at all. The reason he likes breakfast foods is because it's starch and sugar. The reason he likes fruit is because fruit is natural sugar.

I don't know how old he is but if you check the food program guidelines you will see the serving size for small children with cereal is a VERY small amount. Like a quarter of a cup of cheerios with four oz. of milk. He could need only a really small pancake to meet his whole starch for breakfast.

Parents with kids like this have a tendency to allow their kids to eat five-six times the amount they need for breakfast and then end up with kids who don't want the other food groups thru the day.

If you are going to allow him breakfast foods STICK to the amounts. He needs to get HUNGRY. At lunch he doesn't need any starch at all and you can do veggies instead of fruits. When you do give him fruits ONLY give him the whole fruit... no canned or sauces. Stay away from grapes because they are very high in sugar. Stick with apples, pears, and bananas. Check the serving size for those too because again... it's a very small amount.

Tell me his age and I'll give you some ideas.
KEG123 04:45 AM 04-13-2011
He just turned 3. We only eat fresh fruits here, nothing canned. Sometimes applesauce, but always the kind without sugar added. Also, isn't bread a grain also? Not only a starch..? I think one issue I'm having is that he doesn't like veggies. I find myself sneaking them whenever I can. If you give him practically any veggie, he turns his head and won't eat, maybe one bite. I don't want a struggle, I just want him to eat!

This morning we're doing our french toast with pumpkin puree, and pineapple slices. I'll wait for further instruction before I alter anything without knowing what I'm doing.

And I know you do a lot of stew type meals. Do you have any recipes anywhere? hint hint- blog post

Oh, and Thanks for your help!
cnieno 09:32 AM 09-23-2011
Does anybody know a different way to make chili? Please let me know, its getting to be that time of year and I want to make some different kind of meals for the kids. I would like to make different kids of soup for the kids such as beef and noodles and chicken and noodles. I think the kids will really enjoy these meals especially if they are made ahead of time.
Michael 12:17 PM 09-23-2011
Originally Posted by cnieno:
Does anybody know a different way to make chili? Please let me know, its getting to be that time of year and I want to make some different kind of meals for the kids. I would like to make different kids of soup for the kids such as beef and noodles and chicken and noodles. I think the kids will really enjoy these meals especially if they are made ahead of time.
Try http://www.chili.com
Tags:picky eater
Reply Up