Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Age Do You Transition From Bottle To Cup?
Live and Learn 06:58 PM 12-09-2010
Here it is 12 months old.....except for my lil one with cleft pallet....every one else.....happy birthday....here is your sippy cup.
Crystal 07:01 PM 12-09-2010
Bottle to sippy cup at 12 months, even if they still have it at home. From sippy cup to regular cup between 18 months and two years. All of my 2 year olds use a regular cup, even if they don't at home.
misol 07:08 PM 12-09-2010
Whenever they switch to regular milk which is usually at 12 months.
SilverSabre25 08:25 PM 12-09-2010
as the parents switch them. Usually, it seems to happen when the parents quit sending bottles at all and they drink what everyone else does. I start offering sippies of water when they start eating what everyone else does.

My one little 14 mo dcb is still on the bottle, though--he only has 1 (Yes, ONE!) tooth and isn't eating much in the way of solids (again...one tooth...), and only JUST learned how to hold the bottle for himself within the past month or so. He's also teeny tiny, and is rejecting all attempts at putting milk in a sippy (will take water, but not milk) and so given those factors...we're fine with bottles for now.
E Daycare 06:11 AM 12-10-2010
I started transitioning my own son at 9 months and at 1 yr and two weeks he was completely off the bottle. What I did was start offering the sippy cup at snacks with water. The bottles were still given in the am, lunch, dinner and night time. Then when the day time bottles were completely gone I saved the last two hardest, the morning bottle and the night time one for complete weaning and took a week for each of those.

The 22 month old I watched who was still on formula (infant not toddler) and a bottle was almost a lost cause with his family as Id offer a cup all the live long day and hed just stare at it. I even said when my son turned a year "DS is completely off the bottle now so if you know anyone who wants free Dr. Browns bottles let me know or Ill give them away on CL". Dcm just looked at me and said "we tried with our son but its just so hard". So then I had to tell them what I did and ended up giving all but a few bottles away on CL (for just incase daycare use). Unless there is a developmental problem like with the preemie I watch, any kid that comes here and is old enough to eat "people" food then they will also get a sippy. Its getting the parents to follow suit thats the difficult part.
E Daycare 06:13 AM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
Here it is 12 months old.....except for my lil one with cleft pallet....every one else.....happy birthday....here is your sippy cup.
That made me lol and is actually a great idea for bday gifts for kids that turn a year!
QualiTcare 06:18 AM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by Erin's Daycare:
I started transitioning my own son at 9 months and at 1 yr and two weeks he was completely off the bottle. What I did was start offering the sippy cup at snacks with water. The bottles were still given in the am, lunch, dinner and night time. Then when the day time bottles were completely gone I saved the last two hardest, the morning bottle and the night time one for complete weaning and took a week for each of those.

The 22 month old I watched who was still on formula (infant not toddler) and a bottle was almost a lost cause with his family as Id offer a cup all the live long day and hed just stare at it. I even said when my son turned a year "DS is completely off the bottle now so if you know anyone who wants free Dr. Browns bottles let me know or Ill give them away on CL". Dcm just looked at me and said "we tried with our son but its just so hard". So then I had to tell them what I did and ended up giving all but a few bottles away on CL (for just incase daycare use). Unless there is a developmental problem like with the preemie I watch, any kid that comes here and is old enough to eat "people" food then they will also get a sippy. Its getting the parents to follow suit thats the difficult part.
i did pretty much the same thing with my own kids. i used those Nuby brand sippy cups they have at wal mart with the soft/nipple type lid. i gave a bottle at night time, but i put water in it. they were both off right at a year old.

i've never had the energy or desire to try and get other people's kids off the bottle (or potty trained for that matter) when they take them straight home and pop a bottle in their mouth or put a diaper on. if people want their kids drinking mt. dew from a bottle when they're 3 and changing their own pull ups......more power to them. i'm not gonna break out in hives over it.
Blackcat31 06:38 AM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
i've never had the energy or desire to try and get other people's kids off the bottle (or potty trained for that matter) when they take them straight home and pop a bottle in their mouth or put a diaper on. if people want their kids drinking mt. dew from a bottle when they're 3 and changing their own pull ups......more power to them. i'm not gonna break out in hives over it.

sad thing is I can actually see that happening with a few dcp I have had before....
E Daycare 07:00 AM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
I think Im going to follow this too. Some parents just are lazy and they can deal with it. I dont have time to re-teach Monday after a weekend of lazy parents who let the kid slide.
DCMomOf3 07:04 AM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Bottle to sippy cup at 12 months, even if they still have it at home. From sippy cup to regular cup between 18 months and two years. All of my 2 year olds use a regular cup, even if they don't at home.
This is what I do even if they still have bottles at home. they are ready at a year
laundrymom 09:37 AM 12-10-2010
at a year we do cups, having been practicing with them at highchair meal times since 6 mo. At 15 mo or so we transition to reg topless cup.
legomom922 10:23 AM 12-10-2010
12 months but I will keep them on a sippy cup for as long as possible even if the parent uses reg cups at home. Let them clean up the mess. All they want to do is drop their sippy cups on the floor all the time anyway, and I am not going to have that happen with reg cups!
Tags:bottle to cup, transitioning
Reply Up