Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Oh Boy! May The Force Be With Me Today!!!
sahm2three 06:42 AM 03-15-2011
We are transitioning our almost 1 year old from a bottle to a sippy. He NEEDS his bottle to go to sleep, and he is a super hard child as it is! (He is the colicky boy I have talked about) He is down for morning nap and is fighting tooth and nail! Any advice? We are just taking away one bottle at a time. So he is losing his morning bottle, and we will give him his afternoon bottle. This is his parents plan, I kind of think that you should just take it away all together, because like he is going to rationalize in his mind, "Oh, ok, so morning bottle is gone, but I will get an afternoon bottle? Got it." No, to him it will be that he sometimes gets bottles and sometimes doesn't. Right? But the parents don't want to completely take it away, they think that is too harsh. LOL. So, any advice? Or prayers? LOL! Thanks!
Little People 06:45 AM 03-15-2011
That is going to be very hard on the child and you!! The poor baby, he will not understand, "I get my bottle at this sleepy time and not this sleepy time".
Meyou 07:02 AM 03-15-2011
I prefer to get rid of a child's bottles in my home all at once. I don't really care what they do at home. lol My kids do lots of things here that they would never do at home like say please and thank you, clear the table, go to sleep :P...so giving up the bottle at my house isn't dependent on what happens at home.
SandeeAR 07:06 AM 03-15-2011
I dropped one little guy off a bottle here, two weeks before his mom realized he wasn't wanting it. I just handed him a sippy one day instead of the bottle and he held it up and chugged it down. I just stopped offering the bottle and only gave him the sippy. She mentioned taking him off the bottle one day at pick up. I told her, he hasn't had a bottle here in two weeks. She was surprised he changed that easy. She stopped giving him one herself that weekend.

I forgot about the now,11 mo old. She is breastfed and NEVER liked holding her own bottle. As of this week, I only give her a cup now. I haven't used a bottle yesterday or today. She dropped the morning bottle a long time ago here. Mom finally realized, she was just offering the breast at mid day and that the baby wasn't cry or asking for it. She has since dropped that.

Offer the cup after both meals and at snack. She is doing well with it.
laundrymom 09:53 AM 03-15-2011
I do it on my own time here too, I am on week two of no bottles for my soon to be 1 yr old. (april 4th). I dont know what mom does, I havent asked. cups are personally easier for me, they dont leak all over the high chair tray. lol
Tags:sippy cup, transitioning
Reply Up