Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Days Off Have You Had This Year
DancingQueen 02:54 AM 10-29-2010
I know this has been asked a couple of different ways. But I was wondering about accumulatively..

Including personal days, vacation days, holidays, your children's sick days and your sick days.
How many week days have you been closed this year. I'm trying to decide if I'm closed too often or if I'm right on target with other providers.
BentleysBands 03:16 AM 10-29-2010
so far..4 days
Pammie 04:04 AM 10-29-2010
So far this year I was closed on New Year's Day, Memorial Day, one day for Fourth of July, two separate Monday/Tuesdays in the summer for long weekends as vacation time and Labor Day.

So that's #8 so far.

I'll be closed on Thanksgiving and the day after, but then I close for two whole weeks at Christmas (all my current clients are teachers and will be off that time too) - I live for my Christmas break

<knock on wood> I haven't had to close for a sick or emergency day in about 6 years
momofboys 04:15 AM 10-29-2010
My situation is a little different b/c during the summer I only provide care part-time. But taking that out of the picture I had these days off:

New Year's Day (1)
MLK Day (2)
President's Day (3)
my dad's funeral/viewing: (4-5)
2 days of my kids' spring break (6-7)
Memorial Day (8)
Summer vacation (9-12)
Labor Day (13)
Thanksgiving Day & day after (14-15)
Christmas break (16-22)

22 days total. However, except for my summer vacation & my dad's funeral the parents had the same days off or didn't need me for whatever reason.

P.S. I did close one day because of a lice problem. That was my only illness-related closing. So it would be 23 total.
boysx5 04:22 AM 10-29-2010
I took nine days off including holidays plus two sick days and four days for funerals in my family. I also take two weeks off in the summer so a total of 19 days a year this year.
MyAngels 04:33 AM 10-29-2010
So far I've taken four holidays (New Year's Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day), plus 8.5 days of vacation for various medical problems in the family. I will be taking Thanksgiving and Black Friday, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and 1/2 day on New Year's Eve.
Lilbutterflie 04:38 AM 10-29-2010
Four holidays (those mentioned above) & 2 vacation days. So far... 6.
DancingQueen 05:17 AM 10-29-2010
In my contract I am allowed 2 weeks vacation or 10 days (UNpaid)
5 sick days (paid) - which are used if I am down for the count
5 personal days (UNpaid) - kids school events etc...
and I take 9 holidays (paid)

I've recently added (since most of my families take it off anyways) that I'm SHUT DOWN for the week between Xmas and New Years.

I've only used 2 sick days so far. One I was vomitting uncontrollably and the other I dislocated my back and couldn't even pee without help..LOL Luckily that was a Friday and by Monday I was good as new.

I've used 8.5 of my UN paid vacation days.

and none of my personal days.

Is this entirely UNreasonable? For the record no one has complained or had any problems with my contract. But I worried about adding my "shut down" week. I wasn't going to do it - but when I found out how many were taking most of that week off, then my husband was off most of it and all 4 of my own children. I just really wanted to do it. I poled the parents and they all were completely OK with it.
SilverSabre25 05:26 AM 10-29-2010
I don't think that sounds unreasonable at all.

I've had:
a vacation day in March:
Memorial Day (and maybe the Friday before?)
a week at the end of June
a Friday and Monday in July
Labor day and the Friday before

so that's 11 or 12 days. 9 were paid vacation/personal days (I get 10, plus 4 sick days) and then the other days were paid holidays. I'll also be getting Thanksgiving and the Friday after as paid holidays, and Christmas Eve (as the observed day for Christmas).
TGT09 05:31 AM 10-29-2010
I've taken 2 sick days and 4 vacation days plus all major holidays. Will take Thanksgiving and day after, and Christmas, etc.
tymaboy 05:48 AM 10-29-2010
I took off the holidays, a couple of sick days & a couple of vacation days up until this week. I worked Monday & had to close the rest of the week. I have it in my policy that I can take up to 4 weeks vacation & that I would try to give 2 week notice when I need off. That did not happen this week & it pissed a family off but considering why I closed this week (for DS) I dont care she would have done the same for DCG if needed.
JenNJ 06:23 AM 10-29-2010
I had New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day as holidays. I took 3 personal days due to my child being hospitalized once for pneumonia and once for complications from surgery. So 7 so far, but I offered care with a sub one of my personal days.
DanceMom 06:31 AM 10-29-2010
I have taken I think 10 days so far this year ( Includes holidays )
SandeeAR 07:47 AM 10-29-2010
I took 2 days off with H1N1, 2 days with the stomach flu, Memorial Day, Labor day and the Friday before Labor Day for a long vacation weekend. Will take off Thanksgiving Day and the Day after (I decorate for Christmas that day not shop).

Christmas Day and the Day after, are on the weekend. July 4th (was a Sunday this year).

Total days off, Unpaid....7.
momma2girls 09:27 AM 10-29-2010
I have 2 weeks paid vac. in my contract, as well as paid Holidays. I am using 8 daycare days on a huge trip next week!! I can't wait!!!
misol 10:11 AM 10-29-2010
I have been closed a total of 12 days so far this year - 7 were paid holidays and 5 were unpaid vacation days.
Live and Learn 10:15 AM 10-29-2010
I have taken a lot of days off....all unpaid. I have very high daily rates but no paid holidays. I think it pretty much evens out in the end. I have had all of the teacher and legal holidays unpaid, spring break unpaid, summer break unpaid, you get the idea. I do work most teacher inservice days though. In addition to these days I took off one day when one of my own children was hospitalized and another 3 (or 4?) for a close family member's out of town funeral. I charge $43 per day full time for every day I am open. I have had no days off besides school holidays since school started in September.
Lianne 10:52 AM 10-29-2010
In 2010, not including stat holidays, I've taken six days off so far. I took July 2nd off because July 1st (Canada Day) was a Thursday and I decided I wanted a four day weekend. After that weekend I realized I needed more time off and then took a week (5 working days) off in August. That week was heavenly. So, I'm now taking two days off between Christmas & New Years (the other three days that week are stat holidays) and I can't wait. Before this year, I had not taken a day off in five years, not even for doctor's appts. I just schedule/d my dr appts for days I have/had the fewest kids in care and take/took them with me
Lucy 06:27 PM 10-30-2010
I take 8 holidays and about 5 vacation days. The vacation days are split up and are mostly in the summer. A Friday here, a Monday there, etc. About every third year I take a whole week off for a vacation, but then I don't any other days throughout the year. For appointments, I try my darndest to make them evening or Saturday, but every now & then (maybe once or twice a year) I have them pick up about 2 hrs early for a dr. appt.

I charge a monthly tuition that does not change for their days off or mine - for any reason. That's why I feel it's my responsibility to be here open just as many days as I possibly can. I think 13 total paid days off in a year is sufficient.

Oh, and in 16 years, I've only closed for my illness TWICE. And only one day each time.
Tags:days off
Reply Up