Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Getting a Substitute
Nextgen 12:08 PM 03-22-2013
Hi I am having the hardest time finding a substitute teacher for my home daycare. I have 2 children but still trying to fill the other 4 slots. Can someone suggest how to go about getting good substitutes. I just need them for doctors appointments and things of this nature. I have even done an ad in the paper but I"m uncomfortable with that because I don't want just anyone in my home. My sister was suppose to be my substitute but she has fallen ill.
butterfly 12:21 PM 03-22-2013
I use my spouse. I'm uncomfortable having a stranger come in. Do you know any stay at home moms? I used to have a friend (before she moved) that was a sahm who would fill in for me. We traded daycare for payment.
butterfly 12:23 PM 03-22-2013
Also... sometimes I think it's just easier to close when needed than trying to find someone trustworthy. And with my state regulations changing it makes it even harder to have someone else come in to sub.
KnoxMom 12:35 PM 03-22-2013
Find 5 other daycares near you and ask for a referral for their substitute. There is a SAHM who subs at 4 different daycares for extra cash. She retired from the school system and is well trusted in the community.
Nextgen 10:32 AM 03-24-2013
Thanks you guys for the information it truly is helpful. I'm not married, but will check with some of the daycares in the area.
Play Care 03:16 AM 03-25-2013
I got my one sub through some carefully places ads around town (library and preschool) and the other works with my husband (she's a TA and works with me in the summers). My husband has a full time job of his own and is not avalible for subbing, though he is approved for it (this was mostly so he has free rein of his own home if he's here during dc hours) The one thing I have noticed is that by paying more, I was able to get higher quality subs. Both have college degrees, both realize they need to be active with the children and can't just "hang" out. I have no qualms about asking either of them to watch my own kids. Good Luck!
originalkat 07:15 AM 03-25-2013
Our city has several sub agencies for daycares (both home and center based).I have not used them, but I know they are available if needed. I usually use my husband because he is a student and home a lot.
frugalmama4 01:36 PM 03-25-2013
Hi,

I feel your pain! It's hard being the only caregiver...This is what I have done so far.

1. I have paid personal/sick time written into my policies/contracts.
2. I have teamed up with another provider in my area, she provides back-up care when I'm close...and I do for her.
4. My hubby has all the same training's I have so when he's not working...I can do my earns.
3. I now (as of today) have two house helpers...one I can leave with the kids one I can not.

Try posting ad's on CL, Local colleges, libraries, and anywhere else that has a community board...also fliers.

Hope this helps
Reply Up