Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Childcare Termination for Infant
Superwhy 06:18 AM 05-04-2018
Hello,
I have a 4 month old who has been with me for 6 weeks. She only attends 2 days a week and has failed to adjust to being here. As a result she takes all my time and energy and I'm unable to focus on the other kids in my care. Is this reason enough to terminate care? Thank you for your help and input... I've never had to terminate care before.
Blackcat31 06:23 AM 05-04-2018
As a self-employed business owner ANY reason (within the law) is acceptable for termination.

In your case, I would say exactly that...
Baby has failed to adjust to care and you are unable to provide for their needs while caring for a group of others.

Would giving the parents the option of going full time be something you'd be willing to do or are you just not wanting to continue with this baby at all?

Sometimes a more consistent attendance schedule helps alot and sometimes a child simply doesn't fit in with my group and I just know...not keeping them is the answer.

Good luck! It's hard to term for sure but keeping my sanity trumps all.... at least for me every time.
Superwhy 06:26 AM 05-04-2018
I have 3 other kids that are here full time and do wonderfully. I really do believe that the failure to adjust is because of her limited time here. At this point I'm not willing to add her full time. She's the last child I've taken on and the youngest by over a year.
Blackcat31 06:46 AM 05-04-2018
Originally Posted by Superwhy:
I have 3 other kids that are here full time and do wonderfully. I really do believe that the failure to adjust is because of her limited time here. At this point I'm not willing to add her full time. She's the last child I've taken on and the youngest by over a year.
In that case, I'd just go with something short and sweet;

Dear Daycare Parents

This is written notice of cancellation of the child care services agreement.

At this time I do not feel I am able to meet "Baby's" needs. Baby's adjustment to our environment has simply not progressed as positively as hoped, more than likely due to the limited attendance schedule so I feel it's best that alternate care arrangements be made to better suit Baby.

The last day I am able to provide care is XX, 2018.

Thank you!

Provider

You don't have to add the info about the limited schedule or about not adjusting if you want to keep it more generic but I figure the info might help the parents know that they should look at that aspect when enrolling Baby elsewhere.

If they should ask about attending more, you can just add that you don't have that availability. No need to explain beyond not having that option.

If you give them two weeks or not is strictly up to you...infant care in my area is super hard to find (especially part time) so if I termed an infant I'd let them go without having to commit to the final 2 weeks if they found alternate care.

Sometimes the last two weeks are torturous and just not something I can do and other times, it is a smooth transition out of care so that part is totally up to you.
Superwhy 07:13 AM 05-04-2018
Thank you so much for your advise. I have a 2 week termination policy so I'll give them that. In my area infant care is also very limited... It's terrible but I already feel the weight lifted off my shoulders!

Have a great day and weekend!
Josiegirl 09:27 AM 05-04-2018
I don't want to come off as snarky or anything, probably more my own ignorance speaking here than anything. But don't we all have to go with the flow more with infants anyways? Feed on demand, sleep on demand, change diapers on demand. I can understand if a young baby doesn't fit in well with your schedule, especially since they're all at least a year older. But does a baby that young really do any adjusting on their part? I can see as they get older, making schedules mesh more. Unless the baby cries or screams all day, something of that nature?
Maybe I'm out of touch. And I have been awake since 3 this am. so forgive me if my question is off.
Tags:infant, termination - infant
Reply Up