Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-23-2015, 06:30 PM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is online now
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,243
Default My DD Is The Biter, What Do I Do?

My dd is the biter. I have gotten her to lessen how often she does it but can not get her to stop. Help
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-23-2015, 07:08 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

I don't really have any experience with bitters, but I know that others on here have given some great advice.

If you search biting, I am sure tons of post will come up.

how old is your child?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-23-2015, 07:30 PM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is online now
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
I don't really have any experience with bitters, but I know that others on here have given some great advice.

If you search biting, I am sure tons of post will come up.

how old is your child?
3 - I believe a previous DCG taught her to.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-23-2015, 07:42 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Is she always biting the same person ?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-23-2015, 07:57 PM
racemom's Avatar
racemom racemom is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: nebraska
Posts: 937
Default

The first thing to do is recognize why she bites and try to intervene when you see the issue starting. At 3 I feel she is old enought to understand it is wrong. I work with 1 and 2 year olds and what I do with them is explain to her if she bites her friends, she will..and then tell her the consequence. Sometimes you have to up the currency until you find what works. But be consistent, and if you see her starting to try to bite, sharply say her name to stop her and then remind her if we bite our friends, you will have to sit out or whatever the punishment. Also tell her biting hurts her friends and she cannot hurt friends, if she bites someone and leaves a mark show it to her while saying look, you hurt susie. Also, make sure victim gets all the attention, not the biter. Sometimes it is for attention even if it is negative attention
I have 2 in my current class who have gone thru this stage, and one will still bite when I am gone and have a sub. She is 19 months old, and is very aware that it is not allowed, so she tests the subs to see what they will do.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-23-2015, 08:46 PM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is online now
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racemom View Post
The first thing to do is recognize why she bites and try to intervene when you see the issue starting. At 3 I feel she is old enought to understand it is wrong. I work with 1 and 2 year olds and what I do with them is explain to her if she bites her friends, she will..and then tell her the consequence. Sometimes you have to up the currency until you find what works. But be consistent, and if you see her starting to try to bite, sharply say her name to stop her and then remind her if we bite our friends, you will have to sit out or whatever the punishment. Also tell her biting hurts her friends and she cannot hurt friends, if she bites someone and leaves a mark show it to her while saying look, you hurt susie. Also, make sure victim gets all the attention, not the biter. Sometimes it is for attention even if it is negative attention
I have 2 in my current class who have gone thru this stage, and one will still bite when I am gone and have a sub. She is 19 months old, and is very aware that it is not allowed, so she tests the subs to see what they will do.
That is a great idea, I will start showing here the marks.

DD is 3

She will bite when attacked. When DCG would pinch her and be mean to her in another way, dd bites back. dd bites DCB 1.5 when he steals a toy from her and she cant get it back, then she bites.
I send her to her room, check the child over for the bite. (sometimes, I do not find the bite, most times the bite light enough it will fade before the child goes home. I still let DCM know)
DCG has bit my dd (really hard) so I remind her of that bite and talk about it hurting her.
I do call her name to stop her but it is not always soon enough.

DCM is afraid that DCB is learning to bite. She says that he has started to bite her clothes. I do not want this sweet boy to start biting.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-24-2015, 10:00 AM
racemom's Avatar
racemom racemom is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: nebraska
Posts: 937
Default

So she is biting in retaliation, which is easier to deal with usually. Give her other ways to express her displeasure with dcb taking her toy, and help her to get it back. As for the pincher, I would place her in time out for pinching and make sure your dd knows that is why she is going. If she knows you will take care of the situation, she will begin to realize she gets what she wants, toy back-not being pinched, by letting you know it has happened. If you haven't already, tell dd to let you know when things happen and you will help her out. When she bites, makes sure she now doesn't get her toy back, tell her now you hurt dcb so you can no longer play with it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-25-2015, 01:46 PM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is online now
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racemom View Post
So she is biting in retaliation, which is easier to deal with usually. Give her other ways to express her displeasure with dcb taking her toy, and help her to get it back. As for the pincher, I would place her in time out for pinching and make sure your dd knows that is why she is going. If she knows you will take care of the situation, she will begin to realize she gets what she wants, toy back-not being pinched, by letting you know it has happened. If you haven't already, tell dd to let you know when things happen and you will help her out. When she bites, makes sure she now doesn't get her toy back, tell her now you hurt dcb so you can no longer play with it.
Thank you, this info is so reassuring that I am doing the right things. (the pincher has been termed, so that is no longer an issue.)

I did some research yesterday as well and some of what I read on, says that biting is normal for kids to explore but a child that bites is singled out / treated worse over the child that hits or pinches or even bulling sometimes. That a parent tends to be more embarrassed that their child bites over the child that does something else.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-25-2015, 01:58 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 6,928
Default

More threads on biting: http://daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6
__________________
Michael Castello
http://www.ccin.com/about.html
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-05-2015, 02:50 PM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is online now
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,243
Default a partail win

My dd has stopped biting her friends and now started biting her things. Toys, blankets and clothes when she is mad. It is not a complete win but I will take it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
biter, biting, provider children, provider children - biting

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need a Fast Response to a Biter Form Please Luvnmykidz Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 13 02-19-2015 05:56 PM
DCM of biter gets mad when own daughter gets bit! Christina72684 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 08-02-2014 09:37 AM
My First Direct Experience with a Biter NightOwl Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 07-17-2014 04:50 PM
Terminating My Biter Family Today mrsp'slilpeeps Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 26 01-07-2014 02:24 PM
What Is Your Policy On A Repeat Biter? childcaremom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 09-24-2013 03:02 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:02 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming