Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Having Some Success! Need Ideas
Thriftylady 10:27 AM 02-08-2016
I posted about my preschooler who seems not to be learning well. I still think he has some issues, but I have had some success with him! He will be 5 next month, so I am thrilled to be seeing success.

He now knows all the letters in his name. He only knows the capitols, but hey it is preschool learning right? We made great progress with this over the last week or so by doing some sensory letters. I cut letters out of clear contact paper, and gave him small pieces of tissue paper to make suncatchers of the letters in his name. We did one letter each day. He also can now name them on our letter flash cards! He didn't do so well today with all of them picking them out of the letter magnets. But small strokes I guess.

So now I need some help. I need to come up with more hands on sensory ways to help him with more letters. I did pick up some little bags of colored sand at dollar tree and I am trying to figure a way to use that. Maybe cut out paper letters and let him spread glue and put sand on them? I don't know. Do all of you have any great sensory ideas to do letters?
Annalee 10:40 AM 02-08-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I posted about my preschooler who seems not to be learning well. I still think he has some issues, but I have had some success with him! He will be 5 next month, so I am thrilled to be seeing success.

He now knows all the letters in his name. He only knows the capitols, but hey it is preschool learning right? We made great progress with this over the last week or so by doing some sensory letters. I cut letters out of clear contact paper, and gave him small pieces of tissue paper to make suncatchers of the letters in his name. We did one letter each day. He also can now name them on our letter flash cards! He didn't do so well today with all of them picking them out of the letter magnets. But small strokes I guess.

So now I need some help. I need to come up with more hands on sensory ways to help him with more letters. I did pick up some little bags of colored sand at dollar tree and I am trying to figure a way to use that. Maybe cut out paper letters and let him spread glue and put sand on them? I don't know. Do all of you have any great sensory ideas to do letters?
My special needs nephew has the handwriting without tears materials. I traced the letters off and cut them out of foam and wood. You could cut them out of sand paper or any other texture if need be. Just some ideas for the little fellow. I run copies of my nephew's book and put them in a notebook in protectors and the kids make their letters with their materials. Hope this helps!
Thriftylady 10:55 AM 02-08-2016
Never heard of handwriting without tears. Off to look it up.
Annalee 11:04 AM 02-08-2016
Never heard of handwriting without tears. Off to look it up.
https://www.hwtears.com/hwt
Blackcat31 11:22 AM 02-08-2016
A - Pull down twice from the point to the top. Add a seat to view the apple crop.

a - First make a round apple to eat, then a slide for an ant when he's finished his treat!

B - Big old B has a tall straight back and two big bellies 'cause he just ate a snack!

b - Draw a straight back just like me. Don't forget to add a belly for b.

Cc - Cars can cruise down curvy c. Stop near the ground- that's it you see!

D - Down to the ground, then take a break. Half a circle is what you'll make.

d - First you make a dime to spend. Go way up high then down to the end.

E - Pull straight down for capital E. Then add some shelves 1, 2, 3.

e - A little line start off e. Add a plate for an egg- here's breakfast for me!

F - Big F is a tall flower for you. E has three lines, F has two.

f - This flower grows tall and hangs a little. Add a line right in the middle.

G - Big round circle but don't go too far. Add a garage to park your car!

g - A garden starts with a little seed. The roots grow down that's all you need!

H- Make two lines, high to low. Connect the lines so they can say hello!

h - First start high then take a jump. Little h has a little hump.

I - Big I starts with one side of a door. All it needs is a roof and a floor.

i - Little i goes down, it's an ice cream treat. Add a sprinkle on top and it's ready to eat.

J - Jumping jack J jumps up and down and then curls up. Jack needs a hat 'cause he likes to dress up!

j - Little j is so thin and lean. Jump way down, then add a jellybean!

Kk - K and k have three lines as you can see: a tall straight back and a sideways v.

L - Pull down a line and add a lap. Lie down, lazy! It's time for a nap!

l - Little l looks like a number one. Just draw a line and you are done!

M - Go down, hit the ground, then draw a V. Down to the ground again big M is two mountains for me.

m - Go down, hit the ground then get ready for bumps. Little m is easy to write, just add two humps.

N - Stick a nail in the ground and slant another one right. Add a third pointing up and say “nighty-night”!

n - Go down, hit the ground and your almost done. Little m has two humps, n has only one!

Oo - Oh yum! An orange to eat! Nice and round, it's a healthy treat.

P - Pull down your pencil, then pick it up off the ground. Add a half a penny, nice and round.

p - Pop on down and then up, you see. Finish it off with a little pea!

Q - Big Q is a round quarter to spend. Add a line when you're at the end.

q - A fancy queen with a little pearl. Give q's hair a special curl.

R - First draw a line and then a rainbow. Add a ramp and you're ready to go!

r - Go straight down, then race on back. r has an arm, like a little rack.

Ss - Silly S and s, those slippery snakes. Twisty, turny, ready to shake!

T - Big T is a big tall tree. Add a fort at the top so you can see.

T - Little t is a little tree. Add a fort in the middle for you and me!

U - Big U is just like a cup. Start by going down and then curve up.

U - Curve down and up, then down once more. Little u is a cup that's ready to pour.

V v - Slant down first then up like so. This upside-down volcano is ready to blow!

W w - W and w have two pointy waves. Swim in the water if you're brave!

X x - A criss and a cross and in case you forgot, where is the treasure? X marks the spot!

Y - Capital Y has a V in the air. The pole at the bottom holds it there.

Y - Slant down right, down to the ground. Slant down left and take it underground.

Z z - Zigzag Z and z are easy, you see. Just zig a zag - 1, 2, 3!
Annalee 11:51 AM 02-08-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
A - Pull down twice from the point to the top. Add a seat to view the apple crop.

a - First make a round apple to eat, then a slide for an ant when he's finished his treat!

B - Big old B has a tall straight back and two big bellies 'cause he just ate a snack!

b - Draw a straight back just like me. Don't forget to add a belly for b.

Cc - Cars can cruise down curvy c. Stop near the ground- that's it you see!

D - Down to the ground, then take a break. Half a circle is what you'll make.

d - First you make a dime to spend. Go way up high then down to the end.

E - Pull straight down for capital E. Then add some shelves 1, 2, 3.

e - A little line start off e. Add a plate for an egg- here's breakfast for me!

F - Big F is a tall flower for you. E has three lines, F has two.

f - This flower grows tall and hangs a little. Add a line right in the middle.

G - Big round circle but don't go too far. Add a garage to park your car!

g - A garden starts with a little seed. The roots grow down that's all you need!

H- Make two lines, high to low. Connect the lines so they can say hello!

h - First start high then take a jump. Little h has a little hump.

I - Big I starts with one side of a door. All it needs is a roof and a floor.

i - Little i goes down, it's an ice cream treat. Add a sprinkle on top and it's ready to eat.

J - Jumping jack J jumps up and down and then curls up. Jack needs a hat 'cause he likes to dress up!

j - Little j is so thin and lean. Jump way down, then add a jellybean!

Kk - K and k have three lines as you can see: a tall straight back and a sideways v.

L - Pull down a line and add a lap. Lie down, lazy! It's time for a nap!

l - Little l looks like a number one. Just draw a line and you are done!

M - Go down, hit the ground, then draw a V. Down to the ground again big M is two mountains for me.

m - Go down, hit the ground then get ready for bumps. Little m is easy to write, just add two humps.

N - Stick a nail in the ground and slant another one right. Add a third pointing up and say “nighty-night”!

n - Go down, hit the ground and your almost done. Little m has two humps, n has only one!

Oo - Oh yum! An orange to eat! Nice and round, it's a healthy treat.

P - Pull down your pencil, then pick it up off the ground. Add a half a penny, nice and round.

p - Pop on down and then up, you see. Finish it off with a little pea!

Q - Big Q is a round quarter to spend. Add a line when you're at the end.

q - A fancy queen with a little pearl. Give q's hair a special curl.

R - First draw a line and then a rainbow. Add a ramp and you're ready to go!

r - Go straight down, then race on back. r has an arm, like a little rack.

Ss - Silly S and s, those slippery snakes. Twisty, turny, ready to shake!

T - Big T is a big tall tree. Add a fort at the top so you can see.

T - Little t is a little tree. Add a fort in the middle for you and me!

U - Big U is just like a cup. Start by going down and then curve up.

U - Curve down and up, then down once more. Little u is a cup that's ready to pour.

V v - Slant down first then up like so. This upside-down volcano is ready to blow!

W w - W and w have two pointy waves. Swim in the water if you're brave!

X x - A criss and a cross and in case you forgot, where is the treasure? X marks the spot!

Y - Capital Y has a V in the air. The pole at the bottom holds it there.

Y - Slant down right, down to the ground. Slant down left and take it underground.

Z z - Zigzag Z and z are easy, you see. Just zig a zag - 1, 2, 3!
May I save this? I love it!
Blackcat31 11:56 AM 02-08-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
May I save this? I love it!
Absolutely! I copied/pasted from somewhere years ago and its been useful over the years!
Annalee 12:00 PM 02-08-2016
Absolutely! I copied/pasted from somewhere years ago and its been useful over the years!
Thanks!
Unregistered 12:05 PM 02-08-2016
Heidi songs are another option to try.

http://www.heidisongs.com/collection...s-animated-dvd

Some of the songs are on youtube too.
284878 06:33 AM 02-09-2016
Dollar tree has zyro foam that you can shape like play doh. They also carry poster board letters, you punch them out of the sheets and use the letters to trace.
Thriftylady 07:50 AM 02-09-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
Dollar tree has zyro foam that you can shape like play doh. They also carry poster board letters, you punch them out of the sheets and use the letters to trace.
Never heard of that foam. What section is it in?
finsup 08:27 AM 02-09-2016
Handwriting without tears is a wonderful program. I used it while teaching kindergarten and the kids loved it! Have you tried filling a Ziploc bag with paint and letting him make the letters either with his finger or a q tip on that? It feels pretty cool I just tape it down to the table for kids to practice with.
Thriftylady 08:35 AM 02-09-2016
Originally Posted by finsup:
Handwriting without tears is a wonderful program. I used it while teaching kindergarten and the kids loved it! Have you tried filling a Ziploc bag with paint and letting him make the letters either with his finger or a q tip on that? It feels pretty cool I just tape it down to the table for kids to practice with.
Good idea!

Now I have a complaint. I was looking at WM and dollar tree for some sight word cards now that he has his name somewhat down he wants to see other words! But all the cards with words on them use lowercase and we are still trying to master the uppercase. Guess I will have to try to find some printable ones or something.
Blackcat31 08:42 AM 02-09-2016
Good idea!

Now I have a complaint. I was looking at WM and dollar tree for some sight word cards now that he has his name somewhat down he wants to see other words! But all the cards with words on them use lowercase and we are still trying to master the uppercase. Guess I will have to try to find some printable ones or something.
"Teach lowercase letters first. We have been taught, societally, that teaching the uppercase letters first to the child is proper. We have justified it by saying it is easier for a child to form an uppercase letter than it is to form a lowercase letter. This is just not so. Some capital letters (E for instance), take more strokes than its lowercase counterpart. Each time a young writer has to pick up a pencil to locate another point on the letter for formation, the child loses his or her place. There are more pencil pick-ups with uppercase letters than lowercase letters. The reasons for teaching lowercase letters first are these:

a) Books are mainly written with lowercase letters. When Mom is reading The Napping House, by Don and Audrey Woods, with her child snuggled in her lap, the letters are in lowercase form. If the child has been taught his capital letters first, the child is denied the opportunity of participating in the text. If the child, though, that has been taught the sounds and shapes of the lowercase letters, then the child can recognize the letters while mom and dad are reading. The opportunity to participate gives him/her the confidence to explore text in other areas.

b) First and second grade teachers have to spend much of their time breaking the children's habit of writing with capital letters. Teach them correctly the first time around!

c) Each time a young writer has to pick up the pencil to locate another point on the letter for formation, the child loses his or her place. There are more pencil-pickups with uppercase letters than lowercase letters.

d) Teaching both lowercase and uppercase (two totally different forms multiplied by 26) is overwhelming to the child. It is desired that a child not only exit kindergarten with a full understanding of the sounds and shapes of the alphabet, but have capital letter and letter name mastery as well. Our premise is, "Build the essential foundation of sound/shape first, then add the ancillary concepts, such as capital letters and letter names."

(https://www.zoo-phonics.com/about_brain.html)

The link above had the whole article. It has TONS of useful and helpful tips, tricks and ideas for teaching children literacy skills.

Zoo Phonics is super simple and really fun too! I think "Daycare" uses Zoo Phonics in her program and has raved about it before!
Blackcat31 08:45 AM 02-09-2016
I also HIGHLY suggest signing up for this gal's blog.

I have used more from her than any other teaching source for building reading and literacy skills.

She has a no non-sense SUPER fun approach to learning letters (both formation and sound) and beginning sight words too!

She also offers some really great printables.
The really really good ones are only available via an e-mail subscription to her blog.

http://thisreadingmama.com/
daycarediva 09:28 AM 02-09-2016
he isn't ready for sight words. I would continue with letters in fun ways.

If he is interested in reading words- even my toddlers love our environmental print

google environmental print posters. I have kids bring in words from boxes, bags, receipts, and labels that they have "read" at home to add to it.
Laurel 09:34 AM 02-09-2016
In Montessori they use sandpaper letters. They are expensive to buy but I'm sure I've seen some knock off ones somewhere on the internet. They also teach lower case first like BC said.

At the dollar store, I found some of those rubber puzzles. I found both lower and upper case ones. I was surprised as heck to find the lower case so bought a couple of them figuring I'd never find them again. Like this https://jet.com/product/detail/12192...s0XRoC_sbw_wcB
Anyway, he can work the puzzle or you can just take out certain ones for him to run his finger over for the sensory aspect.

Also, when you teach letters, I was taught to teach them NOT in order but rather teach two at a time with letters that weren't similar to other letters. For example, teach A and T rather than P and B.
daycare 10:05 AM 02-09-2016
I use zoo phonics, yes its a little pricy, but just get the cards. they are the best and the kids love love doing it.

there are soooo many games we play using zoo phonics cards
daycare 10:07 AM 02-09-2016
heres a fun thing that we do.

our mail comes really early. we get the mail about the same time every day. we greet the postal carrier and bring the mail inside.

once inside everyone gets some mail, yes we get that much junk mail and whatever the letter of the week is we find it and highlight it. for those that can use the highlighters I let them do it and I do it for the littles. they love doing it every morning.
it's also fun to read the weekly ads and show them the target ads, etc...
Thriftylady 10:20 AM 02-09-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
heres a fun thing that we do.

our mail comes really early. we get the mail about the same time every day. we greet the postal carrier and bring the mail inside.

once inside everyone gets some mail, yes we get that much junk mail and whatever the letter of the week is we find it and highlight it. for those that can use the highlighters I let them do it and I do it for the littles. they love doing it every morning.
it's also fun to read the weekly ads and show them the target ads, etc...
I might steal your junk mail idea. I don't get many ads though, we live in the boonies lol. But I wonder if they would like catalogs. Living so far from any real stores I order a lot and they send me catalogs. But the paper is always glossy. A marker would work on it though. Sorry lol thinking out loud.
Blackcat31 10:30 AM 02-09-2016
I might steal your junk mail idea. I don't get many ads though, we live in the boonies lol. But I wonder if they would like catalogs. Living so far from any real stores I order a lot and they send me catalogs. But the paper is always glossy. A marker would work on it though. Sorry lol thinking out loud.
My kiddos these.

Just give them a BINGO dauber and let them go....

http://www.inmyworld.com.au/preschool-letter-g/

284878 06:45 AM 02-10-2016
Never heard of that foam. What section is it in?
Toy department - Zyro is one brand, they may have other brands too.
Attached: zyro foam.jpg (34.9 KB) 
284878 06:56 AM 02-10-2016
Good idea!

Check out http://preschoolmom.com/ they have printable sheets, crafts and cards. If you sign up you can download a pack vs each letter separately. Plus emails will let you know when a bonus packs are ready for free.
Thriftylady 07:09 AM 02-10-2016
I have been thinking about the bingo dobbers. Where is a good place to get them for a good price?
284878 08:42 AM 02-10-2016
I have been thinking about the bingo dobbers. Where is a good place to get them for a good price?
Dollar tree
284878 08:45 AM 02-10-2016
My nephews use to sing this. I am guessing it maybe a zoophonic song but I just wrote down what they said.

Allie, Bubba, Catina Cat.
Dee Dee Dear, and Elephant.
Francie Fish and Gordo too.
They all live at the zoo.

Honey Horse and Inny who?
Jellyfish and Kangaroo.
Lizzy, Missy, Nigel do.

Olive Octopus is sweet.
PeeWee Penguin’s tux is neat.
Queeny Quail her babies too.

Robbie Rabbit in no stew.
Sammy Snake and Timmy too.
Umber, Vincent what a crew.

Willie Weasel, Xavier Fox,
Yancy Yak just talks and talks.
Zeek the Zebra welcomes you.
Come meet us at the zoo.

Zeek the Zebra welcomes you.
Come meet us at the zoo.
daycare 08:57 AM 02-10-2016
I got mine at dollar tree and walmart. I actually like the ones from dollar tree better.

another fun thing to do. you need a deck of letter cards a-z.

you need two players to make it more of a challenge, but can do it with just one.

depending on how hard you want to make it, you place 3-5 letter cards on the floor. example set our A-X-T

the kid uses their hand like a fly swaTter or you can even get a fly swatter for them to use, I just use their hands. have hthem sit on the floor with hands on their knees while sitting criss cross. tell them to get ready to hit the right card.

you call out one of the letters that are placed on the floor and the child has to hit it as fast as they can. if they get it right, they keep the card, that's one point. rinse and repeat.

with two kids you do it the same way and the child that hits it the fastest gets to keep the point. when all the cards are gone you count to see who one.

sometimes if I have only one kid we see how many you can get under 1 min using a timer.

I have video of my 2yr olds playing this game, I don't have permission to share it on the net, but I might be able to email it to you. Let me ask the dcm first.
Thriftylady 01:03 PM 02-10-2016
I could try your game. I would have to keep it to just that kiddo, because he gets wild and would hit someone for sure lol. Not on purpose, but he would.
mamamanda 03:51 AM 02-12-2016
We use the zoo phonics program and my kids pick it up super fast! It is fun and incorporates so many physical movements that make remembering the letter easier. I think you can get just the cards and instructional dvd for like $28. If hes needing sensory input I often fill a small plastic bin with various sensory rich items like beans, corn, bird seed, etc and hide various types of letters in them. He can search for the letter you're working on while still getting the sensory rich experience of feeling the different textures. If he's doing well with his name and you want to continue with that maybe lay out flash cards next to the sensory bin to spell out his name and then hide magnetic letters for his name in the sensory bin. He can find the letters and lay them on top of the cards to spell his name.
Thriftylady 06:21 PM 02-24-2016
I don't get to talk to mom much, because dad drops off and picks up. Tonight their daughter and my other first grader had a music program at school. They are in the same class. So mom was there and I was talking to her. Now I had told dad that I think that DCB should be screened for dyslexia. Well mom told me tonight that she has "mild dyslexia". I was also talking to her about him switching hands with silverware, pencils etc and he should have a clear dominant hand at this point. That is a sign of dyslexia. She told me she is "ambidextrous". I told her that could be due to her dyslexia. I don't know if he will now get a screening. But I feel better having talked to mom. He is still making progress, but I really wish they would have him checked out.
Baby Beluga 06:07 AM 02-25-2016
My kiddos these.

Just give them a BINGO dauber and let them go....

http://www.inmyworld.com.au/preschool-letter-g/

BC, what pack did you get these worksheets from? I looked on teachers pay teachers under the gal's store but couldn't find the specific pack.
Blackcat31 06:38 AM 02-25-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
BC, what pack did you get these worksheets from? I looked on teachers pay teachers under the gal's store but couldn't find the specific pack.
Here you go!

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/...er-of-the-Week

I have followed her on Pinterest for a while now and every other week or so she offers a Letter for free. This week its the Letter B.

I really like her clip art and appearance of her stuff so I use alot of her items but you can search Pinterest for letter dot mazes and find TONS of free sheets to download and print.
Thriftylady 06:56 AM 02-25-2016
Here you go!

I have followed her on Pinterest for a while now and every other week or so she offers a Letter for free. This week its the Letter B.

I really like her clip art and appearance of her stuff so I use alot of her items but you can search Pinterest for letter dot mazes and find TONS of free sheets to download and print.
Wow thanks for all that info BC. I have been printing the letters (large block form) and everyday my kiddo does some sort of art on them. Today he is gluing pom poms to j. Then I cut them out and hang them on the wall. Each day, several times a day, I will point to his letters in random order. They are also on random order on the wall. He knows all the ones up there now. I do flash cards with him once a day because he loves them, he begs to do them. Talked DH into last week when he was home one day! Today he got all but three of his uppercase correct. And he is learning his lowercase by looking at the border strip of letters and matching uppercase to lowercase since it shows both. He has learned several of his lowercase that way. I have the ABC border where it is easy for him to see and touch. He is loving learning, and we are making progress. We still have a LONG way to go with numbers though.
auntymimi 07:15 AM 02-25-2016
Good idea!

Learning resources has a cool game, abc cookies. It comes in a cookie jar, really cute the kids love it. I got it on amazon for 11.00$. It has several different ways to play with different alphabet cards and games according to child's level. It works for up to 6 players. My kids love it.
Baby Beluga 08:42 AM 02-25-2016
Here you go!

Thanks BC!

For anyone who may be interested, I googled and found these: http://www.1plus1plus1equals1.com/AlphabetMazes.html

They are similar, but are free. I laminated mine and used marshmallows (we are covering letter M this week) vs a dot marker so they were reusable. The younger ones used their fingers to place the marshmallows and the older ones used plastic tweezers to grasp the marshmallows.
Blackcat31 10:25 AM 02-25-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Thanks BC!

For anyone who may be interested, I googled and found these: http://www.1plus1plus1equals1.com/AlphabetMazes.html

They are similar, but are free. I laminated mine and used marshmallows (we are covering letter M this week) vs a dot marker so they were reusable. The younger ones used their fingers to place the marshmallows and the older ones used plastic tweezers to grasp the marshmallows.
I am PMing you a link to a TON of dot-type activities.

We did these yesterday for morning math:
Attached: IMG_2304.jpg (108.8 KB) IMG_2303.jpg (90.4 KB) IMG_2297.jpg (77.3 KB) 
284878 11:40 AM 02-25-2016
I don't get to talk to mom much, because dad drops off and picks up. Tonight their daughter and my other first grader had a music program at school. They are in the same class. So mom was there and I was talking to her. Now I had told dad that I think that DCB should be screened for dyslexia. Well mom told me tonight that she has "mild dyslexia". I was also talking to her about him switching hands with silverware, pencils etc and he should have a clear dominant hand at this point. That is a sign of dyslexia. She told me she is "ambidextrous". I told her that could be due to her dyslexia. I don't know if he will now get a screening. But I feel better having talked to mom. He is still making progress, but I really wish they would have him checked out.
Hmmm. My nephew is 10 and he still switches hands, struggles with learning. Is there any other signs?
Baby Beluga 11:41 AM 02-25-2016
I am PMing you a link to a TON of dot-type activities.

We did these yesterday for morning math:
Thank you!!
Thriftylady 11:58 AM 02-25-2016
Hmmm. My nephew is 10 and he still switches hands, struggles with learning. Is there any other signs?
Let me find my list I had.
Thriftylady 11:59 AM 02-25-2016
Okay here is one list.

http://www.webmd.com/children/tc/dyslexia-symptoms
BabyMonkeys 05:10 PM 02-26-2016
I just ordered the zoo-phonics for my toddlers! They are 26m and 20m. I was planning on starting to teach them their letters soon. This is so much better! Thanks for sharing
Tags:alphabet, developmentally delayed, slow learner, zoo-phonics
Reply Up