Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Who Ever Would Have Thought Before Opening...
emosks 07:28 AM 02-16-2010
You would have more kids than allowed? We seriously have a waiting list and as of January when we have 2 siblings born and in our care we will be over capacity.

What do you do? Tell your most part time family that you can not care for them anymore as of a certain date?

So excited we are full...and not open yet but so stressed with this!!
tymaboy 08:07 AM 02-16-2010
If you have part time then yes I would tell them at a certain date you will no longer be able to care for them. But a family wants to bring in 3 or more sibling that will put you over the limit after you no longer have part timers you will need to turn them away as well.
booroo 09:58 AM 02-16-2010
WOW!!! That is wonderful. I wish I was getting that lucky. Been open since Decemember and havent gotten any full timers. Im going through the process of licenseing but I dont have any clients. I have a partiner and drop in. But not going to make much money on that.
actaktmdt 11:06 AM 02-16-2010
what a blessing to have such a problem! As you get close to the date (say within two weeks) I would tell a part time family that they would need to find new care by x date, explain why and be more than happy to be used as a ref. for them to give the new potential daycare providers to talk to...
Persephone 11:30 AM 02-16-2010
I agree you are lucky to be full at opening. I've been doing it for about 8 months and still just have one child. There's just not a need in my area right now. Too many people laid off.

But yes, drop the part timers if you have full time children coming in.
momma2girls 11:39 AM 02-16-2010
I think most generally in many different states and areas, there is definately a need, but with the economy the way it is- it is hard to be full!! In my area, so many people getting laid off, doing daycare themselves, etc. I have noticed a big difference in the last 2 yrs. in my area!! There are many families out there, that are daycare hopping as well, unfortunately, see what they can get from you, see how cheap they can get it, ones without contracts, try to change your contract, etc. the list goes on and on........
Carole's Daycare 12:18 PM 02-16-2010
I used to have only 5 or 6 kids in care at a time, and was happy with that- after my son started school a few years ago (along with half of my clients) and I tried to replace them, I've noticed real challenges in getting the right number and fit of kids to be profitable while still a maneageable group. Over the years I've noticed that 5 with behavioral issues or challenfing parents is worse than 8 or 9 kids that really fit together w/ terrific parents.
I lost 3 kids to layoffs in the fall, and 1 to school, so I replaced the 4 with a family of two (after being very short thru November) and now I'm faced w/ a dilemma.
I had a mom interview, come for a few days, then leave for a MUCH cheaper daycare ($40/day for 3 kids, 1 an infant) we parted nicely as I understand their financial concerns. She called me this week begging to come back as things have not worked out w/ the other provider.
I am very reluctant to do so, for several reasons. 1) the infant changes my total numbers allowed under school age from 10 to 8 totals from 12 to 10
2) I just have a "feeling" she's not happy anywhere, and eventually will talk about me the way she does other providers
3) one of her sons has significant behavioral issues, so I'm not sure I want to "gear up" for that kind of upheaval when the kids here get along well and our day goes smoothly
4) I had an interview for a family of two that wants to come FT for the 5 yr old, PT for the 6 yr old thru fall- giving me the summer to interview and seek out a family I feel more comfortable with.
5) She really cant afford me full time- and only needs 3 or 4 days a week- do I want $225 week for 3 part time w/ an infant, when I could hold out for 1 full time & 1 part timer and make the same money.
I feel bad for her- she needs care and is in a tough spot- so I'm having a hard time saying no- (we share a bond as she is also a soldier's wife)- and I don't want her upset. I'm thinking about fibbing and making an excuse like a pregnant mom or a laid off family coming back to give me a simple NO SPACE reason to turn her away so I don't have to explain myself.
What do you guys think?
Persephone 01:13 PM 02-16-2010
Originally Posted by Carole's Daycare:
I used to have only 5 or 6 kids in care at a time, and was happy with that- after my son started school a few years ago (along with half of my clients) and I tried to replace them, I've noticed real challenges in getting the right number and fit of kids to be profitable while still a maneageable group. Over the years I've noticed that 5 with behavioral issues or challenfing parents is worse than 8 or 9 kids that really fit together w/ terrific parents.
I lost 3 kids to layoffs in the fall, and 1 to school, so I replaced the 4 with a family of two (after being very short thru November) and now I'm faced w/ a dilemma.
I had a mom interview, come for a few days, then leave for a MUCH cheaper daycare ($40/day for 3 kids, 1 an infant) we parted nicely as I understand their financial concerns. She called me this week begging to come back as things have not worked out w/ the other provider.
I am very reluctant to do so, for several reasons. 1) the infant changes my total numbers allowed under school age from 10 to 8 totals from 12 to 10
2) I just have a "feeling" she's not happy anywhere, and eventually will talk about me the way she does other providers
3) one of her sons has significant behavioral issues, so I'm not sure I want to "gear up" for that kind of upheaval when the kids here get along well and our day goes smoothly
4) I had an interview for a family of two that wants to come FT for the 5 yr old, PT for the 6 yr old thru fall- giving me the summer to interview and seek out a family I feel more comfortable with.
5) She really cant afford me full time- and only needs 3 or 4 days a week- do I want $225 week for 3 part time w/ an infant, when I could hold out for 1 full time & 1 part timer and make the same money.
I feel bad for her- she needs care and is in a tough spot- so I'm having a hard time saying no- (we share a bond as she is also a soldier's wife)- and I don't want her upset. I'm thinking about fibbing and making an excuse like a pregnant mom or a laid off family coming back to give me a simple NO SPACE reason to turn her away so I don't have to explain myself.
What do you guys think?

Will you make more with the other family (1 full/1part)? If so I'd let her know that you have another family interested in the spots who would be full time. And that she can pay you that amount or you need to pass.

Also if you think that you will have problems with the one child it might be better to go with the other family.

Are you full that can't lower your numbers to take the baby? Can you take both families?
emosks 01:26 PM 02-16-2010
Originally Posted by Persephone:
Will you make more with the other family (1 full/1part)? If so I'd let her know that you have another family interested in the spots who would be full time. And that she can pay you that amount or you need to pass.

Also if you think that you will have problems with the one child it might be better to go with the other family.

Are you full that can't lower your numbers to take the baby? Can you take both families?
I agree. We are actually making a family pay us a monthly fee until September when they really want to start because we have other families that are interested. If you can make more by not taking her I would do that. Especially since she seems to be hopping around and the work that it would take to have her kids. KWIM?
Carole's Daycare 02:06 PM 02-17-2010
Thanks- I told her another family that would bring in more money wanted the space- so unless she could guarantee it... But I referred her to some other providers that I know are low on numbers and need the income. I'm really too full to take both without a variance- and thats a lot of hassle here.
Tags:ratios, spots
Reply Up